View Poll Results: What do you think of the controller speaker?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's Great!

12 33.33%
  • Has potential.

21 58.33%
  • I don't care.

2 5.56%
  • I think it's redundant.

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

Controller speaker is actually rather cool.

One of the features that I thought was a joke before I used it hands on was the built in speaker on the controller, but now that I've used it, despite being little things, adds quite a bit to the experience. I really hope it gets used more than currently.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

PSN ID
    swenk
    I can't seem to get mine to work but I like the idea

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I'm just happy it has a decent speaker in it. It's kind of neat when you pick up an audiolog or what have you.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Fallout4HorizonDeusExMDUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: Feb 2008 - Jun 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: Jun 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: Nov 2013 - Present
    PSVita: Dec 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by swenk View Post
    I can't seem to get mine to work but I like the idea

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    So far I think it only works with things the devs design it to work with. Like in KZ:SF, when you pick up an Audio Log it plays through the controller, also I think Warframe uses it too.

I would like it to use other sound in the future like bullets that fly/hit near your character, or your characters gun fire.

The very fact that the sound is displaced from the main speaker system interestingly adds quite a bit.
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    Only compatible game I have for it is Resogun and I turned it off for that because it was annoying the hell out of me (as it was coming out of the TV and the controller)
    But it is a cool feature nonetheless and I will probably enjoy it when used effectively.

PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    I like that you can use the controller's headphones to broadcast all the sound to headset instead of the TV and ratio between voice and tv noise is balanced good. Comes in super handy when every one is asleep and I want it loud.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I can see potential for the speaker. In Killzone it works great and I think it will be great for similar solutions in other games. Can't really say it's great for general use, since the audio quality isn't that good. It basically sounds like you've picked up a small tape recorder or something like that. It might be quite cool if it was used for the scanner thing in Alien Isolation, so you could hear the bleeps through the controller speaker.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Libra-75 View Post
    I can see potential for the speaker. In Killzone it works great and I think it will be great for similar solutions in other games. Can't really say it's great for general use, since the audio quality isn't that good. It basically sounds like you've picked up a small tape recorder or something like that. It might be quite cool if it was used for the scanner thing in Alien Isolation, so you could hear the bleeps through the controller speaker.
    Is that from the quality of the speaker itself or from the audio source? I'm wouldn't know since everytime I've heard it, it's been for either an audio log or someone talking to your character through something like a comm system.
    oops

Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Made me jump the first time it worked on Killzone, but after picking myself up off the floor I did think it is a really neat feature! Just hope they utilize it in a lot more games along with the touch pad!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

10. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I need to try KZ. I've only tried Resogun so far and it was ok.

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Resogun used it perfectly... a trippy pseudo-surround sound.

Imaging playing a game like REZ with the DS4!!!

oh $#@!... hey, Mizuguchi... MAKE a True REZ 2 for the PS4!!! (Child of Eden is technically Rez 2... but i want an awesome techy game like the first one again!)

Now i want a game like Rez to use the DS4's speaker... someone make it happen!!!

if you dont know what Rez is... watch this:
    Last edited by SomaXD; 01-30-2014 at 10:56.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Liked it at first, but so far it's been redundant for me. Turned it off.

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I like it when it is used correctly. I loved how they used it in KZ for audio recordings. They tried the same thing in Tomb Raider, but the audio comes out the regular speakers as well as the controller. Kills the affect. It has potential if devs just use it right.

formerly known as LeisureSuitLarry

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it at first, but after playing Killzone and Knack I seem to actually like it being on the controller! It's nice to hear the audio logs in Killzone and hearing the relics when you pick them up in Knack, it will be interesting to see how developers embrace it later down the road as well.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I like it when it is used correctly. I loved how they used it in KZ for audio recordings. They tried the same thing in Tomb Raider, but the audio comes out the regular speakers as well as the controller. Kills the affect. It has potential if devs just use it right.
    Exactly. Why the hell do we need to hear the audio from the controller and the TV??

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I really like how it's been used for audio logs. Would be very cool to implement it as a radio in survival horror games!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Exactly. Why the hell do we need to hear the audio from the controller and the TV??
    Exactly. why do you even need speakers placed anywhere in the room other than directly in front of you. who needs surround sound.

Its for the effect. you dont NEED sound coming from all over... but depending on the type of game... it sounds cool.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

19. Likes K2D likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Quote Originally Posted by VayMasters86 View Post
    Is that from the quality of the speaker itself or from the audio source? I'm wouldn't know since everytime I've heard it, it's been for either an audio log or someone talking to your character through something like a comm system.
    Might be the audio source, but I really don't think the quality could be that good. It's just a small speaker inside a small plastic device. I play my PS4 games with a home theatre sound system and I don't think it will be able to match and blend in to that sound. Maybe it sounds better compared to the sound from a TV.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    Exactly. why do you even need speakers placed anywhere in the room other than directly in front of you. who needs surround sound.

Its for the effect. you dont NEED sound coming from all over... but depending on the type of game... it sounds cool.
    I was about to say the exact same thing in response - but then I read it again. They're talking about sound from the controller and sound system at once being unnecessarily.

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    It also works on Tomb Raider, not only for audio files but also for things like when you reload your guns.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post

No, it sounds annoying when the same damn voices are coming from the TV. If they are going to have the controller speaker used, then they need to not have sound come from the TV as well.

The $#@!ty quality coming from the controller is very annoying when it is matched with the good sound coming from my speakers.

And your whole surround sound bit makes no sense at all....

24. Likes F34R likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items Diablo IIIOne PieceGhost in the ShellLuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    No, it sounds annoying when the same damn voices are coming from the TV. If they are going to have the controller speaker used, then they need to not have sound come from the TV as well.
    Yeah. In Tomb Raider there is a lot of awesome small sounds that come out of the speaker. But when you collect the diaries it has the voice from the speaker and tv. That's annoying

Shogun of the Ban Thread
    PSN ID
    ManaBurnX
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Yeah. In Tomb Raider there is a lot of awesome small sounds that come out of the speaker. But when you collect the diaries it has the voice from the speaker and tv. That's annoying
    Yeah, I hated that as well. It should have just come through one of them. I liked the little sounds though I didn't notice them until I had my sound lower when playing at night.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

The $#@!ty quality coming from the controller is very annoying when it is matched with the good sound coming from my speakers.

And your whole surround sound bit makes no sense at all....
    The sound quality, and the fact that it's the same audio coming from the tv, is a "cons" mark on my list.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    I really like how it's been used for audio logs. Would be very cool to implement it as a radio in survival horror games!
    I'm really hoping they use it for the radio in Fallout 4.
    oops

29. Likes Lethal likes this post

Thread Information