Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Ni No Kuni is so unbelievably over rated...

so work has been pretty slow recently and I love RPGs so I was thinking why not.... Ni No Kuni supposed to be that a ps3 classic so let me see what the fuss is about seeing how the game is only 20 dollars at game stop

to my surprise....

this game is so NOT enjoyable its incredible how shockingly bad it is.....

- worst AI I have ever been partnered up with. It's an RPG but its a combo of live action combat and turn based combat. it's really not even turn based but you have to select your moves as opposed to them being just a button push on the joy pad. You don't control your team mates and its awful, they waste all their mp incredibly early into boss and mini fights and don't use ANY defense (even with the all out defense option selected) so they just waste all their MP and die early on in battle

- the boss fights are tedious and not strategic. Since your partners die so fast and MP is so hard to come by you just have to cheese the boss by running in circles and blocking their strong attacks, when you block an attack you get MP & HP powerups and sometimes a golden one will drop down that gives you some mega attack. All the bosses are more powered than you and your magic attacks are under powered comparatively for the boss so you basically have to wait for the golden power ups to drop down and just cheese the defense..... zero strategy involved as this technique has worked on every boss I've encountered so far.

- theres a pokemon type system where you catch familiars that help you in combat but its uninspired...... all the character design is super boring. all the pokemon for game boy seemed interesting, these characters seemed uninspired and generic. Leaving me with little to no motivation to try to catch all 400 characters

- the side missions are terrible - all generic collect this and collect that type stuff. none of them have any weight on the outcome of the story which is what side missions should do, they should influence the ending or power up your player and make it worth your while. All you get is these power ups for completing side missions that don't really make your characters better. They just make them walk faster or make your boat move faster. Really doesn't help you tactically progress through the game

- the story line is shockingly boring also as your hit the 20 hour mark. Same thing every next step you take. new city, gotta meet the king ..... oh wait, you can't meet the king until you do a, b and c. complete a,b,c beat level boss continue to next town. So boring

- theres soooooo much text. I don't have a problem with reading text at all but its not additive to the game at all, if anything it just drags out the already slow story line

- the combat system is BAD. No need to combine using a menu, free range combat, and some form of turn based combat. Just pick one and let it be. Either your kingdom hearts, zelda, or traditional RPG turn based combat no need to try to combine all 3 at one time and leave no room for TRUE strategy during combat besides running in circles and waiting for golden power ups

I'm soooooo disappointed honestly. this game has me so fed up cause i hate starting rpg's and not finishing them. Trying to beat this game is giving me a headache and I don't even think i'm 30% of the way through..... I will give them props on the music and graphics but thats IT! it's not even worth enjoying because the rest of the game is so damn bad.

yes this is a rant but I have nowhere else to run to.... i'm sorry
    Last edited by walk with me; 01-31-2014 at 06:50.

2. Likes Suzano-O, Shingo likes this post

and please don't get me started on the leveling up system of your familiars which is basically a waste of time also.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Old school JRPG kinda. Was fun for a little bit but I really hated the English voice over though. Hated it so much I stopped playing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    Old school JRPG kinda. Was fun for a little bit but I really hated the English voice over though. Hated it so much I stopped playing lol.

I love old school RPG man. Chrono trigger is my favorite game of all time, not sure if you would consider CT old school but NNK just isn't a good game. The hype is so unwarranted and unfortunate. I appreciate that level 5 took the risk to make a non online rpg that probably had a huge budget but we shouldn't give games praise just because.

This game has A LOT of holes in it. I want to stop playing so badly but I hate not completing games.

Elite Member
    I might not agree with all the points here, but I do agree that the game is incredibly bad, and overrated...

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by walk with me View Post
    and please don't get me started on the leveling up system of your familiars which is basically a waste of time also.
    Not really. They become considerably more powerful in battle

Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Not really. They become considerably more powerful in battle

agreed, 100%. but I hate the fact that when you upgrade one of your familiars, the familiar starts from level 1 and is weak until you go through a few battles is completely annoying.

Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by walk with me View Post
    agreed, 100%. but I hate the fact that when you upgrade one of your familiars, the familiar starts from level 1 and is weak until you go through a few battles is completely annoying.
    yeah it seemed odd to me at first as well, but in my experience that was only for like 2-3 battles before they start getting much better stats

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    The game sucked ass, only thing good about it was the art direction.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

11. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Me gave up after a few chapters, teammates really annoying.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Wow never realised so many people didn't like it. Its one of my favorite gamea of last year haha.

Different strokes for different folks and all that

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I liked it ok, but I couldn't help but feel like it would have been better on Vita. It is the kind of game I would rather just pick up and play on a handheld rather than play on my big screen.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    sadly it is. i really wanted to love it. i really did. i even wrote a pre-emptive review calling it amazing but soon realized it was shallow andjust downright boring.

you'd think Level 5 + Ghibli Studios would be magical...and it was for the first hour but bleh later on.

you can tell ghibli really didn't have much to do with it other than music...and level 5 didn't seem to have their magic either. overall very disappointed. and to think they made DQVIII.

Veteran
    Overrated ? yes , perhaps it was .

Bad game? I'd say absolutely not.

Even though it probably wasn't worthy of all the praise it did get, it was still a really good game . There are plenty of "bad" games, but I wouldn't consider Ni No Kuni one of them. I'd be all for a sequel if they made one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    sadly it is. i really wanted to love it. i really did. i even wrote a pre-emptive review calling it amazing but soon realized it was shallow andjust downright boring.

you'd think Level 5 + Ghibli Studios would be magical...and it was for the first hour but bleh later on.

you can tell ghibli really didn't have much to do with it other than music...and level 5 didn't seem to have their magic either. overall very disappointed. and to think they made DQVIII.

I imagine that what ghibili was responsible for (most likely the music and some elements of character/level design) was knocked out of the park. The music is strong and the design of the game is strong. Everything else is mediocre to horrible.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Why am I hearing this just now? The game got rave reviews - 8.5 and 8.6 in critic and user score respectively (Albeit I've heard next to no buzz about ni no kuni. Strange.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

PSN ID
    James21291
    I loved this game! Granted the first 10 hours or so were kinda boring.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Wow never realized how many peps on forums hate the game, and let me say thank you for not spamming the official thread with hate when it game out. ni No Kuni is a unique game where you love it or hate it. I loved it but realize it is not a game for everyone.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Extreme Poster
    oh no i did spam the official thread with my hate but no one responded so it went unnoticed XD

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Its a kids RPG, its that simple. If we were all 10 years old then the game would be ROXOR or whatever its spelled. Its not exactly Mass Effect for the 20-something and older crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    oh no i did spam the official thread with my hate but no one responded so it went unnoticed XD
    cause everyone was to scared to think with their own opinion and admit the simple truth about how bad this game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Its a kids RPG, its that simple. If we were all 10 years old then the game would be ROXOR or whatever its spelled. Its not exactly Mass Effect for the 20-something and older crowd.
    that's not an excuse. Just because it's highly animated with a very simple script doesn't mean its a kids game, a lot of studio ghibli movies are the same yet they are enjoyed by all ages of man & woman. This game is too difficult for a child to pick it up and even if it wasn't, the problems this game has isn't because its a kids game.

- The story line is not good, period.
    - The fighting system scores a D in my book
    - your ai teamates score an F- in my book
    - the amount of text you have to read for what that text offers to the actual story line or side quests is a D
    - the boss battle strategy is a F
    - The pokemon aspect of this game is a D

none of this has to do with it being a childrens game. It's just a horribly implemented idea, how far along in this game did you get? Did you play past 20 hours, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but I don't think anyone who played under 20 hours should be allowed to opine on this game. You don't get the full breadth of how bad this game is until you get swaine and just realize that the game IS NOT going to get any better.

it's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.

edit:

I can't imagine anyone who truly enjoyed this game had the chance to play any true RPG masterpieces like any of the early FFs, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger or even any of the early zeldas (LTTP or OAT specifically) for that matter. Once you have a taste of RPG gold like that something as bad as ni no kuni just tastes like pure rubbish. There truly is no turning back from a great RPG, Ni No Kuni is an impostor
    Last edited by walk with me; 02-01-2014 at 02:11.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Well some people have different opinions depends on taste of JRPGs .
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Quote Originally Posted by AsterPhoenix View Post
    Well some people have different opinions depends on taste of JRPGs .
    thats fine but some of the problems in this game are glaringly bad. We live in a time that people are scared to disagree with popular opinion in fear of being rejected and backlash. This game has a lot of legit problems

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Now you're calling me a 10 year old? Not cool man

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

27. Likes Lasombra likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    I wanted to like it, and I probably could have, but the childish art-style put me off.

Thread Information