Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    imINXile
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Its a kids RPG, its that simple. If we were all 10 years old then the game would be ROXOR or whatever its spelled. Its not exactly Mass Effect for the 20-something and older crowd.
    You have to be $#@!ing kiding me. Just because it's not your style, why label it a child's game? You slapped us fans in the face. Walk w/me had valid complaints but I'm more concered about your reporting.

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by walk with me View Post
    cause everyone was to scared to think with their own opinion and admit the simple truth about how bad this game is.

that's not an excuse. Just because it's highly animated with a very simple script doesn't mean its a kids game, a lot of studio ghibli movies are the same yet they are enjoyed by all ages of man & woman. This game is too difficult for a child to pick it up and even if it wasn't, the problems this game has isn't because its a kids game.

- The story line is not good, period.
    - The fighting system scores a D in my book
    - your ai teamates score an F- in my book
    - the amount of text you have to read for what that text offers to the actual story line or side quests is a D
    - the boss battle strategy is a F
    - The pokemon aspect of this game is a D

none of this has to do with it being a childrens game. It's just a horribly implemented idea, how far along in this game did you get? Did you play past 20 hours, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but I don't think anyone who played under 20 hours should be allowed to opine on this game. You don't get the full breadth of how bad this game is until you get swaine and just realize that the game IS NOT going to get any better.

it's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.

edit:

I can't imagine anyone who truly enjoyed this game had the chance to play any true RPG masterpieces like any of the early FFs, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger or even any of the early zeldas (LTTP or OAT specifically) for that matter. Once you have a taste of RPG gold like that something as bad as ni no kuni just tastes like pure rubbish. There truly is no turning back from a great RPG, Ni No Kuni is an impostor
    I am not saying there are not any problems with it. I'm simply saying the intent of the game is entirely different than if it was a Mass Effect kind of game. It was obvious within the first hour what kind of demographic the game was made for. This is not discounting that other demographics can't enjoy it but that was not the target. With that in mind then it is only right to temper expectations.

I may only be kicking around the 14 hour mark so far, but I knew that when I was clocking around 8 and not much opened up to me there were going to be some major problems for me personally, but my ten-year old self might have enjoyed it better.

Yeah, the dialogue is not that creative but its not supposed to be if its targeted at a pre-teen demographic with a limited vocabulary. Its just supposed to be an old-fashioned, warm hearted story.

We also run into what AsterPhoenix said. Different people have different tastes. I think Zelda is crap, and haven't had the slightest interest to play it since the SNES version after being thankful I didn't waste anything more than a rental fee on OoT. Zelda is also technically not even an RPG anyways. Why so many people believe it to be an RPG is beyond me. No XP = No RPG. Its just an action game.

Do I think Ni No Kuni is a ten? Not even close. Do I think its a five or less? No, I don't think that as well. Its fun if the flaws can be overcome and ignored if you're an adult. The flaws are less noticeable the younger you get.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sufi,

I also enjoyed Dragon Quest VIII but while Level-5 are credited for developing the game, their roles are different as is the publisher. In fact, the writer and designer for Dragon Quest VIII, Yuji Horii (who also worked on Chrono Trigger) did not work on Ni no Kuni. Probably because Ni no Kuni is not Dragon Quest.

I've only played the demo for Ni no Kuni which I honestly didn't end up liking despite the pretty presentation. Something about the battles felt awkward. I dunno.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-01-2014 at 08:56.

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by imINxile View Post
    You have to be $#@!ing kiding me. Just because it's not your style, why label it a child's game? You slapped us fans in the face. Walk w/me had valid complaints but I'm more concered about your reporting.
    I don't see what there is to be concerned about. Its not a slight or a slap in the face to call it a 'Child's Game'. Toy Story is a 'child's movie' but other demographics can enjoy it. Those other demographics are just not the initial, primary target.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Never the less im glad people should be more honest about opinions of overhyped games despite popularity. The thing people like is that Ni No Kuni is one of the first JPRGs in a long time to feature and old school World Map.
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I didn't think it was amazing but I did enjoy playing it although I never really finished it! I did become a little bored after a while but that was down to my own doing trying to get my familiars to a decent level so the boss battles were quicker.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

I can't imagine anyone who truly enjoyed this game had the chance to play any true RPG masterpieces like any of the early FFs, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger or even any of the early zeldas (LTTP or OAT specifically) for that matter. Once you have a taste of RPG gold like that something as bad as ni no kuni just tastes like pure rubbish. There truly is no turning back from a great RPG, Ni No Kuni is an impostor
    I know I have around 15 hours, but I LOVE Ni No Kuni.

I've played SOME of the early FFs and Chrono Trigger is the best RPG I have ever played. It's better than FF7 in my book.

By the way, Legend of Zelda is NOT a RPG series. I have played Link to the Past, the SNES version.

I love Ni No Kuni, that may change, but right now I love this game and can't wait to finish it and see how it ends.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    I've only played the demo for Ni no Kuni which I honestly didn't end up liking despite the pretty presentation. Something about the battles felt awkward. I dunno.
    I felt the same way.

I would have bought the game if I liked the battle system and if the encounter rate wasn't as frequent. But those two aspects turned me off when playing the demo.

PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I felt the same way.

I would have bought the game if I liked the battle system and if the encounter rate wasn't as frequent. But those two aspects turned me off when playing the demo.
    The encounter rate is not frequent at all in the full game.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    Loved it. That is all.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    imINXile
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I don't see what there is to be concerned about. Its not a slight or a slap in the face to call it a 'Child's Game'. Toy Story is a 'child's movie' but other demographics can enjoy it. Those other demographics are just not the initial, primary target.
    That's just the thing. Children weren't the initial, primary target.

You see, those animated Disney/Pixar type movies were designed for children. The only reason we kind of enjoy them is because they're sprinkled with adult humor to make them bearable to watch. Quite the opposite with Ni No Kuni.

This game has a battle system (love it or hate it) with a learning curve...especially when you get your allies and learn new skills. It can get real hectic at times. It encourages strategy, boss battles in particular. The story doesn't have much in the way of grown up themes...personal loss maybe..and I'll admit Oliver is a super young protagonist, more so than we are used to. But there are difficulty spikes during the campaign that almost force level grinding. It happened a lot to me when I upgraded my favorite familiars, a complaint mentioned above. These are things the average 10 yr. old doesn't have the patience for. We all know the attention span of kids, it's practically non-existent at times. I just don't see young people as the main ones plowing through the 40+ hr campaign.

The game is really just a throwback JRPG. It came at a time when, if you guys remember, we had nothing. $#@! was scarce on the RPG front and we were waiting for something, anything.

To be honest, this horse has been beaten to death, even before the game's release. I don't blame anyone for not liking the game. I knew as soon as I started it that it would turn a lot of people away. Overrated? Sure, it has it's flaws. But intended for children? Absolutely not. It's a game for everyone....and wouldn't it be nice if we all could admit that our childish imagination was still alive and held weight when we play games?! I hope so.

Ni No Kuni is a great game, refreshing when compared to what was served last gen. Just my opinion.

12. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    I got far in this though its a good challenging game at times. The Allied AI can be a pain at times. Never the less I enjoyed aspects of it.
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Super Elite
    The game received mediocre to decent reviews, sold a decent but not staggering amount of copies, and was talked about for a month or so and then forgotten. It's a far cry from being overrated, however the people who like it tend to love it, so they're vocal.

Anyways: I liked it. The battling and AI demanded far more involvement than the game ever suggests, and I figure that's why most people dislike it and claim it's cheap. The partners are competent when set to various battle tactics (a major fault of which being that they can only be set in-battle), and when paired with proper monsters catered to their likes, as well and when utilizing the "KILL THAT MOTHER $#@!ER, MOTHER $#@!ER" or "SWEET $#@!ING JESUS CHRIST $#@! SUCKER PROTECT YOURSELF" commands. It's not like Pokemon where you can pair whatever monster you like to whatever character you desire. If they don't gel, the monster will suck $#@!. I know this from experience. I gave Mitey to the blonde girl, and the first battle they entered together he dropped to his knees and started sucking $#@!. I was shocked. So was the boss. Then it slapped him and called him mite trash and got a one-hit KO, killing Mitey and soon the rest of my party. It was a mistake I never made again.

Good game. Pretty. Much better writing than most RPGs but due to its lighter touch some perceive it as childish; good voice actors, monotonous side-quests, lame monster-evolutions, and an enjoyable battle system once you acclimate to its rhythm. Reaching up into the dark poop-stained crevices of my ass and pulling out a bloody red number as all journalists nowdays practice, I'd say it's a 7/10.
    Last edited by Forcedme; 02-10-2014 at 23:57.

15. Likes SomaXD likes this post
    Superior Member
    The game is far from bad. That comment is ridiculous. It's easily the best JRPG of the generation and the best I would say since Dragon Quest 8. Square has not done anything near this game since FF9 and the Tales serious is just rehashed, but the first really great JRPG that is not connected to a long running franchise is bashed lol. Kingdom Hearts is overrated, kiddie and has tons of design flaws with crappy combat, but for some reason it is highly praised.

Superior Member
    cause everyone was to scared to think with their own opinion and admit the simple truth about how bad this game is.

that's not an excuse. Just because it's highly animated with a very simple script doesn't mean its a kids game, a lot of studio ghibli movies are the same yet they are enjoyed by all ages of man & woman. This game is too difficult for a child to pick it up and even if it wasn't, the problems this game has isn't because its a kids game.

- The story line is not good, period.
    - The fighting system scores a D in my book
    - your ai teamates score an F- in my book
    - the amount of text you have to read for what that text offers to the actual story line or side quests is a D
    - the boss battle strategy is a F
    - The pokemon aspect of this game is a D

none of this has to do with it being a childrens game. It's just a horribly implemented idea, how far along in this game did you get? Did you play past 20 hours, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but I don't think anyone who played under 20 hours should be allowed to opine on this game. You don't get the full breadth of how bad this game is until you get swaine and just realize that the game IS NOT going to get any better.

it's just the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.

edit:

The bold is an incredibly ignorant comment. I have played all of those games and they were all kiddie like Ni No Kuni as for that aspect of the criticism, especially Zelda. The difference is that there was no mature ratings or voice overs which makes Ni No appear more juvenile than those games did at the time. The art direction, writing and characters were all similar. Most JRPGs have that kiddie design and teenage characters which is what Chrono Trigger had. The reason I enjoy Ni No is because it reminds me of those early games int he genre.

18. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST
    May I say that this is the very first "Turn Based RPG" I have ever played at length. The last thing I did in the game was defeat some nightmare of the guy in the garage.

I bought this game along with FFVII and FFXIII2 in order to have some turn based RPGs at my rental property so those who like that type of game would at least have something to play in the turn based RPG category.

I wasn't sure what to buy because I never play turn based RPGs ... so to make my decision I picked what I thought might be a classic, a revised updated classic, and a new game.

When I turned on Ni No Kuni ... I got hooked by its innocence and charm ... I thought ... this is a kiddie game with no sex, blood, or intense adult story like Mass Effect ... as I said, I was charmed by it and even though I never had any interest in turn based RPGs, suddenly I realized an hour had past, then two ... hey? Did I like it? Would this be the only turn based RPG I ever finished? NO ... as time went on I realized I was so tired of reading the kiddie story, engaging in non action oriented combat, and it became clear why I hate these types of games ... I feel like I'm number crunching, rolling dice, or playing a game on a piece of paper ... I love action RPGs but say Ni No Way to turn based ones ...
    I've been playing video games since the days of Pong and it looks like I'll be playin' 'em 'till the day I'm gone!

This is entirely your opinion, walk with me, and while you're entitled to you're opinion know that everyone Doesn't share that opinion. The game gets a lot of praise for good reason. NNK like everything else in the world, that no matter how good or bad it is people will love it and and some will hate it. The general consensus however is that it's a fantastic game...

Oh and by the way, the JRPG genre has been my favorite genre since childhood. Games I get up on:

Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    FF7
    FF8
    FF9
    Secret of mana
    Secret of evermore
    Super Mario rpg
    Legend of Dragon
    Legend of legia
    Parasite eve 1 and 2
    Etc

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by FortuneHunter View Post
    Oh and by the way, the JRPG genre has been my favorite genre since childhood. Games I get up on:

Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    FF7
    FF8
    FF9
    Secret of mana
    Secret of evermore
    Super Mario rpg
    Legend of Dragon
    Legend of legia
    Parasite eve 1 and 2
    Etc
    I assume from that list that you have yet to play Grandia..? You lucky son-you..

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

I actually own grandia as a psn download. Is it no good?

Quote Originally Posted by Forcedme View Post
    The game received mediocre to decent reviews, sold a decent but not staggering amount of copies, and was talked about for a month or so and then forgotten.
    The game sits on metacritic with and 85 and a 8.6 user rating. HARDLY mediocre.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    I love Studio Ghibli. What ever they do. So i love Ni No Kuni. No matter what you all think about it.
    Last edited by bariton1; 03-29-2014 at 11:38.

oh god i so agree with ya and this is coming from someone who actualy liked level 5s other game series white knight chronicles (yes i know it has issues but if you look past them its quite fun)

ni no kunis battle system is so bland story sucks and the character other than drippy are so bland and forgettable

the graphic and music are great though cant fault it there though

Ni No Kuni, along with most jrpgs, is an acquired taste.

I tried to get into Ni No Kuni a while back, but I just couldn't enjoy it. It's cute, engaging, and it seems like fun. But things are so long and drawn out. Dialogue takes forever to get through. Traveling takes too long. And occasionally trivial side quests send you going back and forth a lot. It takes forever to make any progress.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by FortuneHunter View Post
    I actually own grandia as a psn download. Is it no good?
    Might be nostalgia, you might have to emulate it to get upscaled for HD, but yes, it's solid.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Thread Information