Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Xbox One vs PlayStation 4: which is the better media player?

It's early days for the next-generation consoles and right now both Sony and Microsoft are still working on getting a number of features up and running on their respective platforms, indicating that neither system was truly finished in the run-up to launch. With Microsoft in particular, we understand that resources were strained owing to the last minute decision to drop the cloud-based DRM in favour of a disc alternative, necessitating a large repurposing of internal resources. But the bottom line is clear - across a range of media tests, both Xbox One and PS4 have their issues, while the last-gen PlayStation 3 copes brilliantly in almost all scenarios.

It's Xbox One's poor showing overall that saddens us. This is a piece of hardware built from the ground up to be the centre-piece of the living room - but its innovative OneGuide TV functions have no support outside of the USA, there's zero respect for 50Hz content and there are fundamental problems with playback of disc-based media, while we have issues with the all-important Netflix client, which simply isn't fit for purpose in its current state.

If your primary media consumption lies with 1080p Blu-ray, the PS4 is generally up to the task, performing as well as any standalone player in this regard, bar the odd incompatibility issue. However, the console's handling of DVD content and 1080i Blu-rays will upset the purists given Sony's previous media focus with the PS3, which generally does everything right. However, it's clear that of the two next-gen machines, the PS4 offers the preferable experience right now in terms of general usage - even though there are some issues with the key Netflix and LoveFilm apps.

With all the benefits of a mature platform, it's the PlayStation 3 that remains the media player of choice, and we can't help but feel disappointment at the vast array of bugs, glitches and problems found during our testing.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...r-media-player

Dedicated Member
    Yeah its a bit of a fail for both. Still have my ps3 plugged in for blu-ray and dlna playback. Still, all just software issues at the moment so can be fixed. The 50hz issue might take some creative work arounds though....

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PS3 was not the AAA grade media player it is now, out of the box.
    With time I see no reason why the PS4 can't eventually match it for picture quality.

Playing Knack I can see the PS4 is capable of beautiful colour ranges and depth.
    Last edited by mickice; 02-02-2014 at 13:38.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    They both have some kinks to work out.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I get some stuttering video when using the XB1 and a blu-ray movie. PS4, I don't see that issue. Only happened once, so... not sure why. The same movie plays fine on the PS4. I'll toss more movies in the XB1 and see how that goes.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Those issues have to be software, they both have plenty of hardware oompf to cope.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

PSN ID
    bucky36cs
    At this point, Id say its a bit early to say which is better because both companies are still trying to figure out just what the limits of their new consoles are.
    One of the guys I work with bought an Xbox on launch day and he's already had to send it back to get it fixed. Something about a disc read error. Not that all Xboxes are bad but they certainly have had a reputation for being unreliable and that, along with the controller are why Ive never owned one and always stuck with PS.
    Last edited by Admartian; 02-02-2014 at 19:48. Reason: Double post.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    That bolded part was my biggest concern when I was deliberating which to choose.

I'm sure it's perfect for those in the US - but yeah, not at all the same elsewhere. At the same time, other regions are lacking in content anyway (e.g. US PSN Store and Apps >>>>>> EU/NZ - Only via DNS/VPN tricks can one access these things).

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I get some stuttering video when using the XB1 and a blu-ray movie. PS4, I don't see that issue. Only happened once, so... not sure why. The same movie plays fine on the PS4. I'll toss more movies in the XB1 and see how that goes.
    Probably this:
    Quote Originally Posted by DF
    User reports of compromised 24Hz playback on the Xbox One, however, are disturbing for a console so heavily focused on non-gaming usage. 24fps is a core part of the Blu-ray specification, and any modern device worth its salt should be able to correctly handle that frame-rate without issue.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I tested 30 movies today.. just three had the issue.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    PS4 by far, this shouldn't even be debated.

PSN ID
    bucky36cs
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I was trying to be polite. I cant see myself ever trading my PS in on an Xbox but hey, Im not trying to sound like too much of a Sony fanboy.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Based on??? lol

Super Elite
    I tested 30 movies today.. just three had the issue.
    10% is a pretty big number. I'm sure it couldn't be that hi if you tested say 1000 movies.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    10% is a pretty big number. I'm sure it couldn't be that hi if you tested say 1000 movies.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I guess I could keep going on and on... maybe the percent will decrease, or increase.

Super Elite
    It doesn't match buying a hi-fi which I think is a worth while investment.
    Last edited by MacP; 02-03-2014 at 02:59.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Extreme Poster
    I'm disappointed with the PS4 in this regard...however, since I have the PS3 and my PS4 only has a 500GB HDD, i don't care for the features...if ever. i'm fine with using the PS3 as a media player and PS4 as strictly a gaming console. what i want are APPS!!! i think sony will disappoint in that regard though. you'd think they had a deal with Google store or something, nope.

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm disappointed with the PS4 in this regard...however, since I have the PS3 and my PS4 only has a 500GB HDD, i don't care for the features...if ever. i'm fine with using the PS3 as a media player and PS4 as strictly a gaming console. what i want are APPS!!! i think sony will disappoint in that regard though. you'd think they had a deal with Google store or something, nope.
    Google store apps wouldn't work on PS4 if that is what you are suggesting.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Ultimate Veteran
    Google don't own apps, lol.
    Personally nothing beats a home theatre PC, but even these have issues with windows lameness.

A few media files like MKV run direct on my Bravia just no subtitle support.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Google don't own apps, lol.
    Personally nothing beats a home theatre PC, but even these have issues with windows lameness.

A few media files like MKV run direct on my Bravia just no subtitle support.
    1. google owns plenty of apps.
    2. what issues?
    3. Always awesome to have choice.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Google store apps wouldn't work on PS4 if that is what you are suggesting.
    why not? i know google chrome supports some apps within the browser and you can download that on the linux so why not?

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    why not? i know google chrome supports some apps within the browser and you can download that on the linux so why not?
    If they allowed Chrome as a browser on PS4 (which I would love) then that would work. Otherwise, Google apps require android OS.....unless there is something else I am not aware of.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    If they allowed Chrome as a browser on PS4 (which I would love) then that would work. Otherwise, Google apps require android OS.....unless there is something else I am not aware of.
    here's the thing though, Sony has to pay a little money for them to develop the store for the PS4...it will take some money and of course...the logistics of it because you're opening up a whole new can of worms as far as rights and privacy issues go and Google will probably still be making the money. i guess maybe either sony doesn't want it because they likely won't make much money off it and they'd have to deal with all the app issues (customer service) or google doesn't want it because they want full control of the OS they put it on.

maybe that's what it is.

but think of it like steam, it wasn't on linux, all they had to do was support it, i don't think they support all games right out the door but i'm positive it will be that way eventually...or whatever support is there, would be better than nothing. EDIT: nvm, steam doesn't apply because it's a gaming app. it definitely would be complicated to support the entire store.

another thing is though, PS4 was likely not built for having a lot of apps, they have kept their OS very tightly knitted so if you open it to thousands of apps, i can see it crashing and breaking. that's why MS did the multiple OS approach. i guess, all i really want is maybe more apps that are popular? i really only like 4 apps out of the 10 or so that we have. two of them are hulu/netflix (which are given). we really need a PS app or something...they need to bring at least a few good apps in there, is all i'm asking. maybe broaden the support as we go forward.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakemono View Post
    I was trying to be polite. I cant see myself ever trading my PS in on an Xbox but hey, Im not trying to sound like too much of a Sony fanboy.
    Never hide behind being pro this or that. I'm pro Sony all the way and I won't try to hide it. I will say some negative things if it warrants it, but I flat out support Sony and their practice more than Xbox in every way.

Based on??? lol
    Based on me using the PS4. I don't have to play on the Xbox to know which is better after reading comments on forums around the interwebs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Based on me using the PS4. I don't have to play on the Xbox to know which is better after reading comments on forums around the interwebs.
    Yes and no. But I'll leave it at that because it's your experience.

I will say this, I doubt you'd be happy for an XBox gamer saying "I've played Xbox exclusives only. No need to experience Sony exclusives myself (and to base my opinion SOLELY on other people's opinions) to know that XBOX > PS".

Thread Information