View Poll Results: How do you like to play?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • PCs

9 50.00%
  • Home consoles

14 77.78%
  • Handhelds

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PCs vs. home consoles vs. handhelds

What would you say is your preferred way to play? Do you like the keyboard and mouse set-up of a PC or the controller and big screen set-up of a home console? Or are you most fond of the up close and portable set-up of a handheld? Well, actually the poll is multiple choice as I think it'll be interesting to see which one accumulates the most votes, whether you only like one, two or all three.

Bonus question: Do you think the video game industry will one day shift towards only manufacturing hardware and developing software for one of the three ways to play or will they continue to co-exist?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 02-03-2014 at 18:52. Reason: Wording.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Depends on the game I am playing.

FPS = PC
    Pretty much anything else I can do on a regular console.

Super Moderator

PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Home consoles for me. Times have changed. If you asked me this question in 2004, I would say PC all the way. But the home consoles get the better exclusive titles. I could care less about MMO type games as well.

Handheld is next for me. I love to play in bed at night.

PC is dead last. I simply lost that loving feeling.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    If I have to choose, I'll choose PC, though I think every platform has its advantage.
    That's why I have a PS3 for games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, God Of War... A PSVita for games like Tearaway and as a followup on my dead PSP... A PC for most of my gaming (thus the thing that costed me the most so far) but I don't mind.. The only reason I don't have an xbox is because I don't feel like the xbox exclusives are worth it imo... Might go for PS4 in the future, depending on what games will come towards it. Would be grand to have one with amazing games again like Uncharted or such and definitely with the advantage of a PSVita.

Ultimate Veteran
    I love home consoles and handhelds. PCs are good for playing FPS titles and various mods but I'm not a big fan of said genre (though Deus Ex is in my personal top five). I'd say I like handhelds the most because of the portability even if the graphics, physics and whatnot aren't the best.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Before I joined PSU, I was a die-hard PC gamer. Consoles had little to no appeal since I was playing Doom and then Quake and a gamepad for those games just didn't make sense when I was using a mouse and keyboard. But my love of FPS has dwindled to nothing over the years as did multiplayer gaming. So I game exclusively on consoles and handhelds.

My two sons however started out as console gamers but now are die-hard PC gamers. Ugh.....amount of money I have spent on PC hardware is mind-blowing.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Consoles and handhelds equally. I have a more than capable PC but don't play on it much. Just prefer consoles

Friendship is Carrots
    PC > Consoles > Handhelds

I absolutely adore my PC and its games. I do miss the simple comfort of the couch, but oh well. It's convenient having all my work, personal projects, and games on one machine right here in front of me. I enjoy some console titles here and there still, mostly it being the occasional good exclusive. I'll probably pick up a PS4 once the price dips some and more games release.

I don't care about handhelds at all. I used to, but that was years ago on the Gameboy Advance.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    For me consoles comes first, on close second place comes PC and on last place comes handhelds. Right now I prefer sitting in the sofa in front of a big screen playing with a (DS4) controller. That goes for most game types. I also like playing games on PC alot. There are a few games that I really prefer to play on PC, and a few that is only released for PC. I don't have a Vita or something like that (yet), only my smartphone, which isn't that fun to play games on. I want analog sticks or something like that if I'm to play on a handheld device, playing on just a touch screen sucks, IMO.

PSU Technical Advisor
    I spend most of my time playing fairly evenly between PC and consoles.. Although I think PC edges it out.

I'd prefer to use gamepads, though, and for that reason (along with the value proposition and multimedia utility) I really, really like console gaming. In general it brings alot to the table.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I voted all three. I don't have a preference. I play PC games, well, on PC. I play console games... well, you get it.

12. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    For me PC gaming is my main source. I haven't bothered with a new console just yet because most the games I wanted can bd played better on PC plus the mod support on PC games gives then more value to me.

And I just find Keyboard and mouse a lot more fun to play with than pads unless it's a racing game.

I will pick up a console eventually though

PSN ID
    Ix_DarkDragon_
    All of the above. I'll give my answers on these individual polls.

PC
    I've began to play PC Gaming around late 2009 with Halo: Combat Evolved (PC). At first, It was hard to use since i was very used to the PS3 controller (at the time) and i sucked. As i kept playing, i've gotten better. But my stance on PC Gaming is that, I prefer to use it for most Online Multiplayer or games that are Open World like the Grand Theft Auto series or games like Minecraft. I don't buy most Single Player games on my PC since they take up too much space and you probably will never open it again after you completed it, which gets to the next point of Home Consoles.

Home Consoles
    Console Gaming, love it or hate it, but this is probably where most Gamers began. Right now, I own an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3. Why I still buy a Console? 3 Reasons. 1 Half of my Friends play on either Consoles. 2 I buy it for most Single Player games as well as Games that you cannot get on a PC (Final Fantasy is one of them) 3 I like to keep Physical copies of games. I know, Consoles are inferior to PC Gaming, but, I play for the Gameplay and less on Graphics.

Handheld
    Honestly, I haven't played Handheld in years. I still have a PSP-1001 (Seven years old) and i only use this to play Project Diva and K-ON! Houkago Live since there's nothing else for me to play on the PSP anymore. I also have a Nintendo DS Lite, which i stopped using because the Touch Screen broke on me. I never bought a lot of Games for my DS, I mainly use it to play Pokemon.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Have a alienware pc thats used for video encoding...ps4 and ps3 for gaming, an a psp3000 for ocassional play on the bus when I can't be arsed breaking out my nexus 7 or gs4.

Super Elite
    PC but I also play on the PS3.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Would love another console but they keep breaking these days. All my consoles since PS1 have died through no fault of my own, if it was as easy as simply replacing an off the shelf part I would but its not, they need to be specific parts for specific models making it more expensive and harder to do yourself.
    In contrast I have had a GPU die on me for an older PC but its a piece of cake to replace because its all the same standard.
    Standardisation: One of the many things the Victorians did for us.

Also thsi generation Consoles are alot weaker than they were in comparison to PC.
    In generations gone by consoles were much more powerful than even high end PCs at the time and PCs had to catch up but this gen that is not the case, a mid ranged PC is just as powerful as aPS4 or Xbone and a high end is much more powerful so why bother?
    Last edited by keefy; 02-14-2014 at 20:10.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    OnelShot
    PC of course. If I want a console on the couch experience then I got an HDMI cord connected from my PC to my TV in the media room, Steam big picture mode, and my wireless 360 controller. Get the top notch graphics and mods.

PSN ID
    Ix_DarkDragon_
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Would love another console but they keep breaking these days. All my consoles since PS1 have died through no fault of my own, if it was as easy as simply replacing an off the shelf part I would but its not, they need to be specific parts for specific models making it more expensive and harder to do yourself.
    In contrast I have had a GPU die on me for an older PC but its a piece of cake to replace because its all the same standard.
    Standardisation: One of the many things the Victorians did for us.

Also thsi generation Consoles are alot weaker than they were in comparison to PC.
    In generations gone by consoles were much more powerful than even high end PCs at the time and PCs had to catch up but this gen that is not the case, a mid ranged PC is just as powerful as aPS4 or Xbone and a high end is much more powerful so why bother?
    I agree. These Consoles should be built to last throughout its Generation lifespan. I would rather not replace the Console constantly in less than 10 years of its cycle. If i buy a PS4, I should stick with it until the next-gen Consoles come out. I know Electronics never last for long, but these are CONSOLES. Why can't they last like the PS2, PS1, N64, etc? I would like to at least power on a working PS3 or Xbox 360 within 10-20 years from now, but in all honesty, you won't see that happen due to the unreliable Hardware. Heck, I still have my Original Xbox that i bought in 2004 and i powered it on just last year and it works well.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Console and handheld. PC has better performance but the industry seems a lot more focused on console gaming as a whole so that's where I am. I don't think I could live without Uncharted, inFamous, TLOU etc and all the amazing titles that will never grace home computers. If we lived in a world of only 3rd party studios I'd probably go PC and set it up on my Bravia but the content isn't there.

Still, I intend on getting one eventually so I can play EVE and the Valkyrie (CCPs VR game on Oculus).

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I have a natural hate for handhelds, I just can't get into gaming on those things. For me it's a console and PC combo. The replay value on many PC games still trump console gaming in terms of replay value, but the games for the PC have slowed down quite a bit. As Titanfall hits the PC, I can see Titanfall being popular on the PC side more so than a console since it's a 100% twitch based shooter. It's certainly a mouse game. That being said, this is why I like to have a console and PC combo rather than just having two consoles, it makes for much more variety.

Thread Information