Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Anyone in the community who wants an improved forum experience can help most by taking more of an interest in the content we produce and by getting it out there via whatever social media they're on, by linking to and discussing our articles and so on cause that's where the money is going to come from. More article views = more $$$ and more $$$ = reinvestment in the site.

People have taken charge and are getting to the bottom of all the issues. Chris is in the process of making us a new homepage and it looks amazing. It's a modern, mobile friendly, responsive site and is the next bastion of hope for us climbing out of the rut we're in and moving upward.
    The front page has nearly always been ignored by the forum goers. But that was understandable in the beginning, there was never a 'link' between the two, it was almost as if they were 2 completely different sites. I can see that the gap is narrowing, but the gap is still there.

A new front page sounds good, just be careful of bugs etc. The main-stayers of this forum are so used to seeing BIG AND NEW turn out to be broken and sloppy, that too many little niggles in the new front page will just steer them away. Case of same old same old.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by REALLY_old_guy View Post
    The front page has nearly always been ignored by the forum goers. But that was understandable in the beginning, there was never a 'link' between the two, it was almost as if they were 2 completely different sites. I can see that the gap is narrowing, but the gap is still there.

A new front page sounds good, just be careful of bugs etc. The main-stayers of this forum are so used to seeing BIG AND NEW turn out to be broken and sloppy, that too many little niggles in the new front page will just steer them away. Case of same old same old.
    Out of curiosity can you give me some examples of what you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Out of curiosity can you give me some examples of what you mean by this?
    I'll reply via PM later Ghost. Won't be for a while though, popping out.

edit: quick example. the upgrade to the new vB a couple of years back was a mess, just about nothing worked. Rather than fix the problems, stuff was just ripped out. But to be fair, the upgrade was rushed for the arrival of Mr Bishop.

And a face lift that was given to the main page that made it so nobody could log in.
    Last edited by REALLY_old_guy; 02-18-2014 at 13:55.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Ahhh, that stuff is before my time and thus doesn't bother me then. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that any future evolutions to the site will be of a high standard and won't go down like they did in the past because the management and team we have at the moment is awesome. I am O.C.D when it comes to quality and attention to detail in both form and function and the team is too so there won't be any sloppy half assed work done moving forward.

I hope so.

And I can't PM you yet. Although this post has helped lol.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I hope so.

And I can't PM you yet. Although this post has helped lol.
    coma??

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

who??

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    who??
    just some douche that used to hang around here lol

9. Likes Justin likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    The front page and forum have always lacked a "relationship" between them. Best way to combat this is to have the main site set up so NEW articles instantly create a thread on the forum. This way it is the PSU articles that are being read and ultimately discussed. This would be the first step in the right direction of merging the two juggernauts.

8 years and counting!

11. Likes Pong likes this post

That was tried Justin. There was a section at the top of the forums that housed that sort of thing, the threads were created automagically whenever something was posted on the front page.

Which I think was part of the problem, the threads should have gone to the appropriate forum rather than a devoted section, but that could only be done (at the time) by the person that posted the article and only if they chose to do so themselves. But in that was another problem. By the time the thread was created the news was already in the forum so it came across as nothing more than a dupe thread and was ignored. The writers and people behind the scenes just couldn't get hold of the news fast enough, no fault of their of course but when you're up against a small army of people just browsing the net, someone will always beat you to it.

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    That was tried Justin. There was a section at the top of the forums that housed that sort of thing, the threads were created automagically whenever something was posted on the front page.
    I should of elaborated a bit more I guess, my bad as I was aware of this. It all depends on what is being used to create the main page. If certain upgrades were made and platforms altered the background abilities can be optimized to instantly create a thread on the forum once the article has been published live on the main page. Takes away a lot of work and makes sure every thread is created as needed.

8 years and counting!

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Who are or were you really old guy?

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by 33x View Post
    hitler

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    hitler
    Doesn't offend me! now if you had said any white guy from 12 years a slave, i would be stabbing you!

You're slipping topfag!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I'm guessing Coma. He was meant to be old right?

[Edit]

Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    coma??
    who??
    Trying to throw us off the scent.
    Last edited by darky89; 02-18-2014 at 16:41.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I should of elaborated a bit more I guess, my bad as I was aware of this. It all depends on what is being used to create the main page. If certain upgrades were made and platforms altered the background abilities can be optimized to instantly create a thread on the forum once the article has been published live on the main page. Takes away a lot of work and makes sure every thread is created as needed.
    Which is how it worked before (RSS feed if I remember correctly), but the threads would only go into one section at the top of the forums. In order for that kind of thing to work the threads need to go into the appropriate section for the article posted (which at the time was the part that was up to the writers / content staff), not some random section at the top of the forum. But as you said, more work on the back end could make that happen.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Doesn't offend me! now if you had said any white guy from 12 years a slave, i would be stabbing you!

You're slipping topfag!
    i haven't seen that work of fiction so i dont know any of the white people in it?

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Which is how it worked before (RSS feed if I remember correctly), but the threads would only go into one section at the top of the forums. In order for that kind of thing to work the threads need to go into the appropriate section for the article posted (which at the time was the part that was up to the writers / content staff), not some random section at the top of the forum. But as you said, more work on the back end could make that happen.
    Super-Chris could sort that shiz!

Question. What difference would it make?

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    None or loads. Who knows.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Question. What difference would it make?
    Well, people here hold grudges for years and years. Right now, the ongoing time frame is... 5 years and counting.

I'd better keep my mouth shut then

But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter who I was/am. What matters is that people in this thread care about the forums, that's what this thread should stay focused on.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Which I think was part of the problem, the threads should have gone to the appropriate forum rather than a devoted section, but that could only be done (at the time) by the person that posted the article and only if they chose to do so themselves. But in that was another problem. By the time the thread was created the news was already in the forum so it came across as nothing more than a dupe thread and was ignored. The writers and people behind the scenes just couldn't get hold of the news fast enough, no fault of their of course but when you're up against a small army of people just browsing the net, someone will always beat you to it.
    TBH I don't think it's just a matter of members talking about our articles, it's more that there is no sense of identity at PSU which is probably down to ailing brand awareness. Members of GAF identify themselves with that forum, they are proud to be apart of it for example. At least this is what I think...

Creating that brand awareness is underway though. I talked to the GM about the site having a clearer mission statement which all our endeavours would seek to meet and for us to carve out more of an distinct identity. The things that are happening look fantastic and the front page is going to have a huge transformation which is really exciting. There will be a lot more celebration of the PlayStation brand and legacy built into the site and its presentation before I'm done here. Once we have an identity, it'll be up to those who care to bolster it and make it into a shining beacon. Seriously, with Sony already roflstomping around this gen, being a PS only website could pay off and I think it will once all the stuff going on behind the scenes comes to fruition.

Sounds like PSU has found its CM

27. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'd better keep my mouth shut then

But in all seriousness, it doesn't matter who I was/am. What matters is that people in this thread care about the forums, that's what this thread should stay focused on.
    I'ma leak this $#@!. Rog is actually...

Thread Information