Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Pete Dodd: ESRAM Never Catch up to GDDR5

http://www.gamepur.com/news/13520-xb...ed-speed-.html

Well known industry insider, Pete Dodd aka 'Famousmortimer' has shared another set of juicy information regarding Microsoft's next-gen Xbox console, Xbox One via Twitter. This time details are regarding Xbox One's ESRAM comparison to Xbox 360 EDRAM and how soon developers can make full use of it.

PS4 vs Xbox OnePete Dodd in a recent Twitter conversation (with user "josh hanlon") was asked to comment on Xbox One ESRAM, "whether recent leak stating that its Super Fast and Expensive" is TRUE or not?, To this Todd replied that ESRAM in Xbox One is faster than DDR3 but not as faster as GDDR5, "its Bottleneck, Plain and Simple".

"Its faster than DDR3, but not much faster than GDDR5 (used in PS4: 8GB DDR5 RAM), there's only 32 MB, its Bottleneck, plain and simple"

Dodd further explained that things will get better as time progresses but it won't be available to sustain the speed which GDDR5 offers.

"But like most bottlenecks they will get better at getting around it. But it will never have the sustained speed of gddr5."

When "josh hanlon" asked if developers will get used to Xbox One ESRAM yet or not?, Todd replied that there's not much difference between ESRAM and EDRAM (which is used in Xbox 360) so developers will get used to it as time passes but it's not exactly foreign.

"ESRAM isn't all that different than edram which is what the 360 used. Devs will get better with it but it's not exactly foreign"

So there you have it folks, use whatever term you can "Resolution-Gate, ESRAM Gate", Xbox One seems to lack behind PS4 in every important department.

There you have it folks. End this nonsense "ESRAM- Move Engine" secret sauce zombie argument to end.

2. Likes crazystuff155, mistercrow likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Interesting stuff. Horrible writing.

(the author....not you)

oh.....hold on a sec. mynd has something to say....

(jus messin' with ya, mynd)
    Last edited by Christopher; 02-04-2014 at 23:13.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

4. Likes F34R likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Interesting stuff. Horrible writing. (the author....not you) oh.....hold on a sec. mynd has something to say.... (jus messin' with ya, mynd)
    Oh its definitely gonna be on when mynd gets here. I'll have the popcorn ready. Dis gonna be gud. lol

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Oh its definitely gonna be on when mynd gets here. I'll have the popcorn ready. Dis gonna be gud. lol
    I am not 100 percent sure if it was Mynd who said this, but I remember reading a post and he said he don't trust Cboat but Pete Dodd was reliable.

Now Pete Dodd must not be reliable anymore.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    That's the thing that most people don't get. ESRAM is the next step from EDRAM found in the 360. Yes developers were able to use it effectively last gen, but that still doesn't mean it was an ideal design. While devs will still be able to make good looking games on the 360, the PS4's memory solution offers way more in terms of flexibility and ease of use because there's no hoops to jump through. GDDR5 and a more robust GPU have pretty much sealed the deal this gen on which console is the spec king. That being said, Ryse is still the king of graphics right now on both platforms. So the potential for some great looking games is there on the XBOX ONE. It's just that the PS4 can be pushed a little harder and get more favorable results.

8. Likes F34R likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    It will do what it is designed to do, its not meant to catch up. And if it doesnt do what its design to do then, hell it wont do what its designed to do.
    nuff said,
    Bourbon time.
    Waitangi Holiday started 18 minutes ago and I have drinking to fit in.

10. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Captain obvious-dodd.
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    That's the thing that most people don't get. ESRAM is the next step from EDRAM found in the 360. Yes developers were able to use it effectively last gen, but that still doesn't mean it was an ideal design. While devs will still be able to make good looking games on the 360, the PS4's memory solution offers way more in terms of flexibility and ease of use because there's no hoops to jump through. GDDR5 and a more robust GPU have pretty much sealed the deal this gen on which console is the spec king. That being said, Ryse is still the king of graphics right now on both platforms. So the potential for some great looking games is there on the XBOX ONE. It's just that the PS4 can be pushed a little harder and get more favorable results.
    a little more than "a little harder" unless you were talking about the PS3 vs 360.

PS4 is going to go balls deep.

12. Likes F34R likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

Ah ha I knew it wasn't Titanfall your mate was streaming!
    Last edited by mynd; 02-05-2014 at 06:21.

14. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    ew gross lol.

16. Likes F34R likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    I find it funny these Milk Carton insiders always speing negative stuff about the x1 design and architecture. You would think they are developers working with the dev kits. The developrs ofroject Cars uses ESrAM while praising the x1 for using it as well. The Witcher 3 developer also praises the x1 architecture. This guy peter dodd is doing nothing but talking FUD out of his ass.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    I find it funny these Milk Carton insiders always speing negative stuff about the x1 design and architecture. You would think they are developers working with the dev kits. The developrs ofroject Cars uses ESrAM while praising the x1 for using it as well. The Witcher 3 developer also praises the x1 architecture. This guy peter dodd is doing nothing but talking FUD out of his ass.
    Another insider expert. ^^^^^^^

19. Likes mistercrow, Shingo likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I think he wasn't implying that the X1 sucks. he's just implying that the ps4 is just better. lol

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

22. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Interesting stuff. Horrible writing.

(the author....not you)

oh.....hold on a sec. mynd has something to say....

(jus messin' with ya, mynd)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    It will do what it is designed to do, its not meant to catch up. And if it doesnt do what its design to do then, hell it wont do what its designed to do.
    nuff said,
    Bourbon time.
    Waitangi Holiday started 18 minutes ago and I have drinking to fit in.
    Captain obvious-dodd.
    a little more than "a little harder" unless you were talking about the PS3 vs 360.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Ah ha I knew it wasn't Titanfall your mate was streaming!
    ew gross lol.
    Just giving a shout out... ya'll made it worthwhile getting up out of bed this morning.

24. Likes Omar likes this post
    Superior Member

http://gamingbolt.com/project-cars-u...mory-advantage

So yea. Project Car Dev says exactly same as Dodd.

That they are optimizing for esram and still cant match up to PS4's GDDR5 Ram.

But can only "mitigate some" of the advantages.

I don't find anything funny about insiders saying exactly same things as the devs you have mentioned. I find it more funny that you try to deny this. Even your own source is contradicting you.

Depends on how you define graphics, but I would agree Ryse is prob best looking game so far this gen. I tend to consider resolution and fps on graphics, so I don't think its the best graphics, but def best looking.

Either way, You missed one point. He is saying even if you jump through hoops, it still isnt enough to compete with GDDR5. So not only it is more complicated, it still is weaker.
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 02-05-2014 at 13:34.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The Sith...always delivering the lulz!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    What i take from that is ESRAM is faster but not not by much, and it wont be able to sustain those speeds. Then again this is another GAF guy so who knows if this is legit.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    What i take from that is ESRAM is faster but not not by much, and it wont be able to sustain those speeds. Then again this is another GAF guy so who knows if this is legit.
    no, we know it's legit because we have the numbers. 204GB/s is ESRAM's bandwidth, DDR3 has 68GB/s. GDDR5 has 176GB/s sustained.

there's not much you can do to get that 68GB/s much higher than that because that's its native speed. the developers would not only need to constantly rely on the ESRAM to get the higher speeds, there's not much of ESRAM to go around. they are always going to be starved for more and thus they will always be trying to figure out what to pass through it, what matters the most, it's always going to be a compromise one way or another.

they don't need to worry about all of that on the PS4. it's always going to be 176GB/s.

P.S. real world performances for both are not going to be the same but that's to be expected.

go here for more info http://www.redgamingtech.com/xbox-on...neck-analysis/

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    I'm not trying to an ass, but why is this even up for debate anymore?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

31. Likes Mael Duin, Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    lol....not that I care, but I have to ask.....what is this for again?

Yungstar 2006 is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    rather random isn't it?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Banned

lol....not that I care, but I have to ask.....what is this for again?

rather random isn't it?
    an obvious PS4 v Xbox memory post in the Xbox section and you let it stay.

Forum Overseer
    I'm not trying to an ass, but why is this even up for debate anymore?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    you'd think so right?

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    an obvious PS4 v Xbox memory post in the Xbox section and you let it stay.
    Didn't "let" it stay. Just didn't occur to me that it was in the wrong section until you reported it. And then I moved it.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    no, we know it's legit because we have the numbers. 204GB/s is ESRAM's bandwidth, DDR3 has 68GB/s. GDDR5 has 176GB/s sustained.

there's not much you can do to get that 68GB/s much higher than that because that's its native speed. the developers would not only need to constantly rely on the ESRAM to get the higher speeds, there's not much of ESRAM to go around. they are always going to be starved for more and thus they will always be trying to figure out what to pass through it, what matters the most, it's always going to be a compromise one way or another.

they don't need to worry about all of that on the PS4. it's always going to be 176GB/s.

P.S. real world performances for both are not going to be the same but that's to be expected.

go here for more info http://www.redgamingtech.com/xbox-on...neck-analysis/
    I still take it all with a grain of salt because another insider from GAF said the CPU was better, then a actual dev from Ubisoft publicly pointed out it was unproven. Not saying this isn't but i don't take their word for much because GAF has been wrong about plenty stuff concerning xb1. I take it as a rumor until it comes from a more credible source.

Thread Information