Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Do you think the Steam Machine can compete with the Playstation 4?

At CES 2014, Alienware unveiled their version of the Steam pc/console thing and the comments are that this machine is going to be the end of the Playstation 4. Personally, I think it's going to be a competition but it won't come close to the console giants. What are your thought on this? Do you think that the Steam machine is going to be a threat to the Playstation 4?
    Signature removed by staff.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Why have you embeded the youtube video as your sig?

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    It will be fun for a while but ultimately, the mass market won't buy it. The playstation brand is strong right now...and thats bad news for steam..certainly was never an option to me, and I have, and have had numerous alienware products.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I honestly think the Steambox will as relevant as the Ouya.

5. Likes Suzano-O, MartyRules likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Who knows, will have to wait and see on that one but I think the PS Now streaming service will be more popular so people will more than likely buy PS4's!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm calling it a "NO" flat out.

8. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    I hope it does.. Steam on a successful console could force a change in game pricing if if pays off and unless console games come down in price a bit this gen I'll be hopping on the steambox wagon at the end of the ps4's life cycle, if the former is still around..

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Ps4 games will be back down to where they were last gen for uk gamers...35.99 -44.99.

Ultimate Veteran
    nope steam game boxs wont have any effect on the ps4 only hardcore gamers will buy steam boxs.
    the alienware steam box is not upgrade able like the other steam boxs on the market.
    i was going to get one but iam happy with my ps474

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    To put it simply - No.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    No, it won't. They've already made mistakes, the public won't get it. And the majority of tech savvy folk will go for actual PCs. There's too big a disparity in some of the pricing, people will just opt for a normal rig instead.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Nope. Pc gaming is just not popular enough.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yes! And by yes....I mean no.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

PSU Live Streamer
    Steam done fuct up.

This was their chance to mass market their service to non-pc gamers. All they needed to do was release a standard console/pc hybrid with steam service/os at a competitive price point in the console market. But they done fuct it up. Releasing devices ranging in specs and price points of $500-$6000 from 13 different manufacturers? Naw man. Coffin meet final nail.

At this point they dont have a target market, because they are all over the place. PC gamers won't buy this thing because they already have a pc. Console gamers that steer away from PCs due to lack of pc knowledge or hardware/software hassles won't buy this thing because it doesn't solve that problem.

My only hope now is that with steam inching its way into the console market, there is a chance console platforms will need to lower digital game prices to compete. But that still hinges on these steam machines selling at all....which I don't think they will.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Sage

I don't think it will take off. I don't know who Valve will market them for.

Console gamers will be happy enough with the new consoles that they won't jump in and PC gamers typically build their own PC.

It might twist the ear of a few people who have been on the fence about PC gaming though

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by reorex View Post
    At CES 2014, Alienware unveiled their version of the Steam pc/console thing and the comments are that this machine is going to be the end of the Playstation 4. Personally, I think it's going to be a competition but it won't come close to the console giants. What are your thought on this? Do you think that the Steam machine is going to be a threat to the Playstation 4?
    Honestly, no, in my opinion. It will survive as a niche product in a niche segment of the gaming market, but until the prices of them steam boxes are comparable to that of the PS4 of X1, I don't see people jumping onto it. PC gamers would just stick to their PC and console gamers would just stick to the PS4 or X1.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The machines are just a way to get the OS out into the wild. More people using Steam = more money for Valve.
    Is the OS thats the big deal not the machines themselves.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    the steam machine from alienware can't even be upgraded. I hate that company, they suck and not only that but they are draging down the potentials of steam machines. I think the OS is really the only thing worthy, the rest are pretty meh and you can build your own steam machine that's upgradable. Alienware is really a crappy company in terms of PC builds.

Ultimate Veteran
    I can see it complimenting the PS4 pretty well. For gamers that just want multiplats, I could see it being stiff competition. Sony should go on a buying spree of talented studios in a few years and that will be a good way of hedging their bets against any kind of Steam onslaught.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Forum Sage

A major aspect of the Steam Box you're all overlooking is the application of a dedicated Linux distribution onto a game console platform that competes directly with Sony's, Microsoft's and Nintendo's offerings. The market is ready for a truly open platform to take root on both the consumer and developer side. It's the publishers who will be on the losing end and rightly so. The Steam Box will not fail miserably as people think it will. Rather, it will start off slow and slowly gain momentum until it reaches a point where it can not be simply ignored.

The truly hardcore and technically savvy will pave the way though.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    A major aspect of the Steam Box you're all overlooking is the application of a dedicated Linux distribution onto a game console platform that competes directly with Sony's, Microsoft's and Nintendo's offerings. The market is ready for a truly open platform to take root on both the consumer and developer side. It's the publishers who will be on the losing end and rightly so. The Steam Box will not fail miserably as people think it will. Rather, it will start off slow and slowly gain momentum until it reaches a point where it can not be simply ignored.

The truly hardcore and technically savvy will pave the way though.
    You are still forgetting one major thing though. It's still a PC and whether you like it or not it will still be treated as such.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    You are still forgetting one major thing though. It's still a PC and whether you like it or not it will still be treated as such.
    Yes and no. There is a lot going on with regards to the Steam Box. The fact it can be upgraded and treated as a PC doesn't escape me. This aspect will only appeal to the most hardcore of gamers though. The console form factor will appeal to a much wider audience over time though. That aspect will appeal to those who are just technically savvy enough to know or find out that they don't need the highest end machine to run the games and that they can either stream off another PC or rely on console parity and not have to blow their wad.

Just wait and see. There's more to the Steam Box than meets the eye and I have a good feeling quite a few things will play out over the next few years.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Yes and no. There is a lot going on with regards to the Steam Box. The fact it can be upgraded and treated as a PC doesn't escape me. This aspect will only appeal to the most hardcore of gamers though. The console form factor will appeal to a much wider audience over time though. That aspect will appeal to those who are just technically savvy enough to know or find out that they don't need the highest end machine to run the games and that they can either stream off another PC or rely on console parity and not have to blow their wad.

Just wait and see. There's more to the Steam Box than meets the eye and I have a good feeling quite a few things will play out over the next few years.
    yea, it will appeal if Sony and Microsoft screw up in this console market. if they don't then it will certainly have a tough road ahead of it. Aside from the gaming aspect, this problem is mainly on microsoft because Windows is there baby and to me a steamline linux based OS is going to hurt microsoft more, not so much sony. I'm certainly not worried about it on the gaming side of things because it's a PC first and foremost and will always be that way which will in turn not make much of a difference compared to the PC right now. The OS though, that steam operating system is the real threat because once that is as stable as windows, microsoft will now be threatened. In fact they already are threatened by it.

I believe Gabe already talked about this in a written article somewhere. He was sick of Windows once Windows 8 hit and this is no more then a fight between two companies right now. When this becomes popular, Microsoft will have to act and they will, just watch. The gaming aspect is a long way off and even then it's still a PC with PC problems, there is no getting around that. This is a PC using linux for gaming, that's all it is.

"there is more to the steam box than meets the eye" of course there is more, it's a PC. So far the only steam machine that isn't an upgradable PC is the one Alienware is designing, from what I was told, you can't upgrade that one.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 02-06-2014 at 21:41.

26. Likes Morganator likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    13+ different skews with different components is problematic
    $1000+ models are problematic

They are attempting to get a piece of the console market, but they are doing it wrong. Nothing they provided can't already be done. I can go out and build a machine for $1000+ on my own, install steamOS, hook it up to my tv and play games. Chances are good I could also buy their controller on its own. All that said though, you are now paying $1000+ for a PC that can only game. No more windows OS allowing for multi-app functionality.

So what have they accomplished? Provided a form factor pc with a gaming OS already installed is about the most credit I can give them on this deal. Problem is there is no standard. So you either pay premium pricing or you buy cheap and hope you can upgrade. But if you can upgrade, then it's just a smaller pc plagued with a need to upgrade that most non-pc gamers don't want to bother with.

The whole concept is a hot mess.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

28. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I think they are doing it right. It will be a generationless console. Once you get tired of your graphics being piss, you pay to upgrade the part that matters, which is the card. Or when you finally need a new CPU (Most high end enthusiast CPUs are WAY overspecced for todays games FYI). Then comes time for a new box. Even then, you may still be able to keep your card or something.

The thing people really don't realize about the Steambox is the fact that there won't be a Steambox 2. You will have all of these machines out there simply soaking in the sunlight with an already entrenched gaming fanbase several million users strong before the thing ever launches. That is the real "threat" of Steambox and it will act as a bridge between PC gaming and console gaming in ways that XBox simply cannot or will not execute on as a matter of protecting its parent company's core business model.

IMHO, as long as Sony has bad ass developers and beloved game series, they will be in blue waters. They should continue to strengthen their developer relations and resources with the runaway success of the PS4 and that, more than anything else, will make them a thriving business in a Steambox world. Make no mistake, though. Steambox isn't going to just disappear. It has dedicated resources within Valve and they have plenty of liquid capital to leverage this thing.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Thread Information