Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    All the relevant points have been made already so i'll just add my NOPE to the mix

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I think they are doing it right. It will be a generationless console. Once you get tired of your graphics being piss, you pay to upgrade the part that matters, which is the card. Or when you finally need a new CPU (Most high end enthusiast CPUs are WAY overspecced for todays games FYI). Then comes time for a new box. Even then, you may still be able to keep your card or something.

The thing people really don't realize about the Steambox is the fact that there won't be a Steambox 2. You will have all of these machines out there simply soaking in the sunlight with an already entrenched gaming fanbase several million users strong before the thing ever launches. That is the real "threat" of Steambox and it will act as a bridge between PC gaming and console gaming in ways that XBox simply cannot or will not execute on as a matter of protecting its parent company's core business model.

IMHO, as long as Sony has bad ass developers and beloved game series, they will be in blue waters. They should continue to strengthen their developer relations and resources with the runaway success of the PS4 and that, more than anything else, will make them a thriving business in a Steambox world. Make no mistake, though. Steambox isn't going to just disappear. It has dedicated resources within Valve and they have plenty of liquid capital to leverage this thing.
    Awesome post. I will jump ship from consoles to the Steambox if they do it right. I love the idea of a simple to use PC experience with the flexibility of upgrading the internals when I see fit. Now that controller....ehhh.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Steam Machine is a hot mess, it doesn't quite capture the casual console experience, its still just a big ol' ass PC connected to a TV with a wonky ass controller and limited local multiplayer.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reorex View Post
    At CES 2014, Alienware unveiled their version of the Steam pc/console thing and the comments are that this machine is going to be the end of the Playstation 4. Personally, I think it's going to be a competition but it won't come close to the console giants. What are your thought on this? Do you think that the Steam machine is going to be a threat to the Playstation 4?
    I think it's incorrect to talk about the steam machine. There isn't a steam machine. There are lots of them. And in a sense, anyone can make one. But more to the point, no, I don't think Steam machines are going to be a threat to the console market.
    i7 4770 | EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 32GB
    i7 3770 |
    EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 16GB

Veteran
    Items Manchester United

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Well, I pick Steam. Not steam.
    i7 4770 | EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 32GB
    i7 3770 |
    EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX | 16GB

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I don't think it will take off. I don't know who Valve will market them for.

Console gamers will be happy enough with the new consoles that they won't jump in and PC gamers typically build their own PC.

It might twist the ear of a few people who have been on the fence about PC gaming though
    that last part. it's going to catch on with people that don't want to build a PC but still play PC games or those who want to but don't want the hassle to build their own.

but eventually they will likely expand on that. all in all, it's going to catch on but it's going to be an in-between PC and consoles rather than the end of either. though it's going to get more PC users than console users (at least yet) me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    The OS though, that steam operating system is the real threat because once that is as stable as windows, microsoft will now be threatened. In fact they already are threatened by it.
    SteamOS is based on Debian, so it's already a billion times more stable than any version of windows will ever be.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by lord flasheart View Post
    SteamOS is based on Debian, so it's already a billion times more stable than any version of windows will ever be.
    True, I used the wrong words. I should have said Once Steam OS is streamlined like windows, Microsoft will be threatened.

Forum Sage

True, I used the wrong words. I should have said Once Steam OS is streamlined like windows, Microsoft will be threatened.
    Microsoft is already threatened by it though, even if they're not talking about it. Microsoft has, over the years, gone out of its way to marginalize and make Linux irrelevant in every manner possible. Simple things like working with Novel or "offering" licensing and support for features or various aspects are all attempts by Microsoft to harm Linux. This isn't to mention court battles over GPL aspects and the likes.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    Awesome post. I will jump ship from consoles to the Steambox if they do it right. I love the idea of a simple to use PC experience with the flexibility of upgrading the internals when I see fit. Now that controller....ehhh.
    Take your pick.

Forum Overseer

what do you mean by streamlined? like program driver/support? that's going to be fixed soon i'm sure. because their focus is to actually work towards a gaming OS, they will make the drivers and the supportive programs.

the problem with linux is that because it's free, the development isn't very much and thus support is low. since Steam OS is going to be supported with money, support will come.

this is why ubuntu is so popular (as is mint linux) because they make money off these OSs.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    what do you mean by streamlined? like program driver/support? that's going to be fixed soon i'm sure. because their focus is to actually work towards a gaming OS, they will make the drivers and the supportive programs.

the problem with linux is that because it's free, the development isn't very much and thus support is low. since Steam OS is going to be supported with money, support will come.

this is why ubuntu is so popular (as is mint linux) because they make money off these OSs.
    Exactly, support will go where the money is. While driver support on most Linux platforms are passable at best, once there is a large and variable user base then all the relevant hardware parties will get their software in order.

The Linux/GNU crowd do have good aspirations in terms of delivering a vibrant and powerful OS/environment without the need for a big cash source but when it comes to commercial products it definitely does help drive progress forwards.

The thing people really don't realize about the Steambox is the fact that there won't be a Steambox 2. You will have all of these machines out there simply soaking in the sunlight with an already entrenched gaming fanbase several million users strong before the thing ever launches. That is the real "threat" of Steambox and it will act as a bridge between PC gaming and console gaming in ways that XBox simply cannot or will not execute on as a matter of protecting its parent company's core business model.

Steambox has gone on to have the aspirations that Microsoft originally had with the Xbox. The only difference is that Valve only has to focus on their platform and not worry about any other factors.
    Last edited by Jabjabs; 02-09-2014 at 09:19.

You're right and it's already happenning, for instance nvidia finally decided to play nice and have offered some assistance to the nouveau project (who make a reverse engineered open source nvidia driver).

the problem with linux is that because it's free, the development isn't very much and thus support is low.
    Not entirely sure what you mean here, Linux is the largest project (in terms both of the number of developers and the amount of code submitted) ever.

Hardware support is a mixed bag, but it's steadily getting better. Intel stuff is generally fine for example as is atheros. Broadcomm or ati for example not so much.

since Steam OS is going to be supported with money, support will come.

Mint doesn't have corporation backing. Ubuntu's popular because it's designed to be easy to use and it's pretty. Unfortunately it's also buggy as hell and canonical are far from a team player in the floss world.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Ancient
    Nah it be one of those, ie CDi, 3DO, Jaguar, same as Amazons console
    Not saying they gonna flop by comparing them but they won't be mainstream.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    nope steam game boxs wont have any effect on the ps4 only hardcore gamers will buy steam boxs.
    cant imagine why when they will have PC's that are more capable than any STEAM box.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

Streamline in that everything is simple and won't detract others from going out and actually buying it. Streamlined: even a granny could use it, everything is narrowed down to linear simplicity, just like Windows.

One of the things that new comers first notice in Linux is typing out a command and that right there takes away the interest in people that just flat out want a simple OS. Let's not get into the fact that there are so many Linux based OS's currently out there right now it's beyond ridiculous and not just that, confusing as well for newcomers or people that were potentially on the fence on getting an OS other than Windows. Linux is very intimidating in that when you first go into it and see command lines and such, you have no clue on what to do if you've never used it.

Elite Guru
    The key parts about what Valve are doing are the SteamOS and the controller. Steam box is an additional layer of convenience for those looking to upgrade to a small form-factor machine.

I'll be more interested in the volume of SteamOS users than I will the number of boxes sold. That'll give you a better indicator of how dominant SteamOS is.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    The key parts about what Valve are doing are the SteamOS and the controller. Steam box is an additional layer of convenience for those looking to upgrade to a small form-factor machine.

I'll be more interested in the volume of SteamOS users than I will the number of boxes sold. That'll give you a better indicator of how dominant SteamOS is.
    Good point. I have a spare 500Gb HDD kicking about so I might install
    SteamOS onto it and see what it is like

Streamline in that everything is simple and won't detract others from going out and actually buying it. Streamlined: even a granny could use it, everything is narrowed down to linear simplicity, just like Windows.

One of the things that new comers first notice in Linux is typing out a command and that right there takes away the interest in people that just flat out want a simple OS. Let's not get into the fact that there are so many Linux based OS's currently out there right now it's beyond ridiculous and not just that, confusing as well for newcomers or people that were potentially on the fence on getting an OS other than Windows. Linux is very intimidating in that when you first go into it and see command lines and such, you have no clue on what to do if you've never used it.

Those sort of people would never have to go to the commandline anyway unless somethings gone wrong. They're the same people who don't touch the windows registry or do any of the limited configuration windows would allow.
    Now In Debian (steamos basically is debian), if everything's fine from the get go (meaning your hardware is supported, which won't be an issue in a steambox, obviously), it'll stay that way unless you start messing around because Debian just doesn't break. If you don't want to go near the command line, you won't be messing around with it at all.

There are plenty of distros out there for people who just want to browse the information super web, watch videos/listen to music and have an office suite.

Grannies can use GNU/Linux too and they don't have to phone their grandchildren because something as simple as clicking the wrong link in their browser won't hose their system.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Thread Information