Latest PSU headlines:

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Finally, someone has actually found a use for Kinect!

It's only flaw is when someone over the border yells out 'Xbox turn off'

Xbox Kinect sensor guards North-South Korean border

Microsoft's movement-recognition Kinect software has morphed from virtual shooter gaming to the real-life challenge of guarding the world's last Cold War border.

The sensor allowing hands-free play on the Xbox is the basis for a security device now deployed along the demilitarised zone (DMZ) that separates North and South Korea, after being adapted by a South Korean programmer.

Four kilometres wide and 248 kilometres long, the DMZ is a depopulated no-man's land of heavily fortified fences that bristles with the landmines and listening posts of two nations that technically remain at war.

As a military buffer zone, it remains an area of profound Cold War hostility, but its man-made isolation has also created an accidental wildlife park recognised as one of the best-preserved habitats on Earth.

The Kinect-based software developed by Ko Jae-Kwan, founder-president of Saewan, has been taken up by the military because of its ability to differentiate between human and animal movement.

Ko, 39, said on Thursday that his device could detect the sound, movement and direction of anybody attempting to cross the DMZ and immediately alert South Korean border guards.

"Existing sensors, which had been in place along the border, were highly efficient but could not tell the difference between humans and animals, sending wrong signals frequently," Ko said.

The new sensors have been in place along certain sections of the DMZ since August last year, he added.

"Such devices are established as part of our project to strengthen surveillance with scientific equipment, but we cannot provide details for security reasons," a defence ministry official said on condition of anonymity.

Despite all the security measures in place along the DMZ, there have been highly publicised incidents of undetected crossings.
    Five South Korean generals and nine mid-level officers were removed from their posts or disciplined in 2012 after a defecting North Korean soldier simply walked undetected across the border and knocked on the door of a guard post.

The security lapse was all the more embarrassing as it came at a time of surging military tensions when the South Korean army was supposedly on high alert.

Ko said he planned to update the existing Kinect-based sensors to a version capable of detecting heart rates and reading body temperature, features that Microsoft added to the Xbox One version of the console released last year.
    "For its price, the device is very accurate and effective in covering vulnerable areas," he said.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digi...207-325rs.html
    Last edited by Bitbydeath; 02-07-2014 at 03:13.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    lol...this isn't news. We've been using sensors for years to monitor that border and our own long before kinect came to be.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    lol...this isn't news. We've been using sensors for years to monitor that border and our own long before kinect came to be.
    I didn't know this so it is news to me.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    I can just imagine a bunch of xbox one boxes missing their kinect lol.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I didn't know this so it is news to me.

lol...i guess it is.

Extreme Poster
    the title should read "Guards South Korean Border" because guarding North Korean border sounds like South Koreans want to go up there.

Also "world's last cold war border"? lol. cold war never $#@!ing ended. going on right now in syria. practically every major war right now is a cold war.

Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Man... I thought this thread was about a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Yeah there has always been sensors, but apparently they couldn't tell the difference between animals and humans unlike Knect. I think that is what the news is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    the title should read "Guards South Korean Border" because guarding North Korean border sounds like South Koreans want to go up there.

Also "world's last cold war border"? lol. cold war never $#@!ing ended. going on right now in syria. practically every major war right now is a cold war.
    The Syrian war is hot though lol. Cold wars are ones where two military nations stop short of full scale war.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyThree View Post
    Man... I thought this thread was about a game.

Yeah there has always been sensors, but apparently they couldn't tell the difference between animals and humans unlike Knect. I think that is what the news is about.
    yea, I think they mean south Korea military only. I know for a fact we have sensors that can clearly see beyond that border into the north, and they certainly can distinguish between human and animal. Ours is classified though so it makes sense why SK would have to go another route.

9. Likes TwentyThree likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyThree View Post
    The Syrian war is hot though lol. Cold wars are ones where two military nations stop short of full scale war.
    you're right. i was thinking it means that the sides are being backed.

11. Likes TwentyThree likes this post
    Superior Member
    Here I was thinking you meant useful for gaming lol.

Thread Information