Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder

At least 2.1 million PS4 owners have PS+

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/at-.../1100-6417596/

At least 2.1 million PlayStation 4 owners have signed up to PlayStation Plus, Sony has said.Speaking during the company's latest financial call, CEO Kazuo Hirai mentioned that more than half of the PlayStation 4's 4.2 million owners have signed up for the $50-a-year premium service. But Hirai wouldn't get any more specific than that.
    Of course, the high attachment rate is likely to have something to do with the fact that, unlike on PS3 and Vita, PlayStation 4 owners can't play online multiplayer without a PlayStation Plus subscription.
    Sony also said that over 150 million users have PlayStation Network accounts, though these are free to setup and it is therefore particularly easy for people to own multiple accounts.
    PlayStation Plus applies to a single PlayStation Network account, and grants each user access to Sony's rotating library of free games on PS4, PS3, and Vita.
    While Sony's gaming division is in rude health--even though the PlayStation 3's fortunes are declining quicker than expected--the company announced that it would be looking to sell off its PC business and turn its flagging TV empire into a subsidiary.
    The company expects to be saddled with a net loss of $1 billion at the end of its financial year in March, though its PlayStation division is posting a 64 percent year-on-year increase.
    That is pretty impressive. And it is done without having to block Netflix, Skype, and other other apps for not having PS+

This shows how many people want to pay for Playstation Plus, not because they have to.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-07-2014 at 23:57.

2. Likes DarkNemesis likes this post
    Forum Overseer

yeah but what other apps are there lol. don't think we have skype. maybe vita does.

Ultimate Veteran
    iam one of the 2.1 million lol

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    yeah but what other apps are there lol. don't think we have skype. maybe vita does.
    Amazon Instant Video
    Netflix
    Demos on the PS Store
    Hulu Plus
    Redbox Instant
    Vudu

Sony does not force owners to purchase PS+ to use these apps. Or to download new game demos. And that makes this 2.1 million number that much sweeter.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Amazon Instant Video
    Netflix
    Demos on the PS Store
    Hulu Plus
    Redbox Instant
    Vudu
    compared to how many apps on X1

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Not really a surprise considering they made it a requirement for online play but nice job on their part.

8. Likes F34R likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    compared to how many apps on X1
    I didn't list all the apps though. And Sony is still achieving these numbers without forcing PS4 owners to purchase PS+.

Why the hell would I need to pay for XBL Gold when I already pay for Netflix and Hulu Plus? It is $#@! like that, that makes it scandalous. Why pay extra when the PC and Playstation let you view them at no extra cost?

Sony does not completely screw anyone when they buy their console. Therefore these 2.1 million sales are buy customers that are willing to pay the extra money because they want to. Not because they have to.

Microsoft limits everything there is to offer. Sony only limits online multiplayer.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-07-2014 at 23:55.

10. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Overseer

i have no problem with it...in fact, had i known that you could keep all the games forever as long as you have this service, i would've praised it.

i kid you guys not. i thought the games did expire and you would get new ones...i was like, ok...i'd rather just select my own options by buying them and then selling them later.

so now i have two games on PS+ that i would've paid $40 or more for and then sold for $20 total...so I'm really just paying $20 for the subscription because i bought it for $40 (missed the black friday offer cause i was being an idiot lol).

overall i am more than happy to pay for it, even if it were just for the games alone. because they give you $#@! ton of them + betas + extra features (cloud) + insane discounts.

it's stupid not to get it at this point. it's going to save me tons of money every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    I didn't list all the apps though. And Sony is still achieving these numbers without forcing PS4 owners to purchase PS+.

Why the hell would I need to pay for XBL Gold when I already pay for Netflix and Hulu Plus? It is $#@! like that, that makes it scandalous. Why pay extra when the PC and Playstation let you view them at no extra cost?

Sony does not completely screw anyone when they buy their console. Therefore these 2.1 million sales are buy customers that are willing to pay the extra money because they want to. Not because they have to.
    oh yea i totally agree there but i feel like Sony needs more apps now, even if not as much as X1. they definitely need stuff like FB and YTube, and maybe more apps that are popular out there, Vines? something you know. it gets boring sometimes. i want more community features! i like the Live from PS.

12. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I have a ridiculous number of games from PS+ and I can't keep up. I'll say it again.....the best deal in gaming....ever.

14. Likes Omar likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    When I had to pay for my Gold membership, it pissed me off. When I paid for my PS+ membership, I was happy about it.

That is the biggest difference.

16. Likes Omar likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Not really a surprise considering they made it a requirement for online play but nice job on their part.
    I agree with you there. But at the same time Lethal makes a good point that Sony achieved this without putting apps and web browser behind a paywall. Not to mention that F2P games can still be played online without PS+. Then theres the IGC if you do have PS+ which will get better with time.

Dedicated Member
    Its more than worth the price. Saved me tons of money and no ads unlike the other service.

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Exactly this. It's a good number, but kinda expected since it's required for multiplayer.

Forum Overseer

Sony are idiots for failing to convey the message about "free" games. All this time, I'm a frequent user, I live and breathe PS console/games and yet I did not know. they need to be more clear.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I agree with you there. But at the same time Lethal makes a good point that Sony achieved this without putting apps and web browser behind a paywall. Not to mention that F2P games can still be played online without PS+. Then theres the IGC if you do have PS+ which will get better with time.
    Oh I don't take anything away from it. It was inevitable with the success of Live. But they just kept the same formula and put the multiplayer behind a paywall. Could be much worse. Not to mention it's a hell of a deal. I just expected the numbers to be pretty high. Especially with the popularity of shooters these days.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I'm honestly surprised Sony made the F2P MMOs not require plus.

Sony are idiots for failing to convey the message about "free" games. All this time, I'm a frequent user, I live and breathe PS console/games and yet I did not know. they need to be more clear.
    Pretty sure it says in that pop up before you first download the games that you keep the games as long as you are a subscriber.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Fallout4HorizonDeusExMDUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: Feb 2008 - Jun 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: Jun 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: Nov 2013 - Present
    PSVita: Dec 2013 - Present

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I'm honestly surprised Sony made the F2P MMOs not require plus.

Pretty sure it says in that pop up before you first download the games that you keep the games as long as you are a subscriber.

There is also an expire date when you click information on the game.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yeah it tells you that info somewhere. I think in the games information and when you buy on the store.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    The paywall thing doesn't bother me. If you own an XBOX 360 or a ONE, you're gonna have LIVE anyway. Same goes for PS4 and PSN. Not many offline only gamers out there.

Forum Overseer
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    PS+ increased subscriptions is because of the online play. That's it. A $#@! load of PS4 buyers want to play online, and they are paying to do it. Obvious is obvious.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    How much you wanna bet we'll see PS+ go up to $59 next year? Anyone? The free games they've been giving out have been way too good for SONY to stay at $50.

PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    How much you wanna bet we'll see PS+ go up to $59 next year? Anyone? The free games they've been giving out have been way too good for SONY to stay at $50.
    The free games are a major draw, no doubt. If subscriptions keep going up and Sony keeps pumping out the games.....yeah, I can see the price going up. And I'd still pay it.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Would be nice of Sony to add all the IGC to the PS4 store, so then people can get a nice backlog of games for the PSVita, so they invest in one & so they buy more recent titles for the device. I think if Sony starts treating the Vita correctly they could still save the system & make it last as long as the PS4. They could start buy releasing a nice bundle & an attachment for PS3 controllers to handle the PSVita above the controller & actually having an option for it (instead of the work around and poorly attached Vita).

Not to say Nintendo's next handhold will do poorly, just the Vita will keep getting cheaper while Nintendo next handhold will probably be just a bit/fair better then the Vita but at a higher cost. So there's still a market to keep the Vita around for long term so long as Sony can pump out some games that gamers would crave for. Or even just all the new PS4 owners getting 26 games each year for the Vita from PS+ and decide to buy one.

Sometimes its hard to think why the Vita isn't selling... OHH right Sony is bad at advertising it along with all the major benefits you wouldn't find anywhere else. PS+ long ago 'paid' for itself and my Vita, and a lot of things & it keeps on giving. I buy the games I really want, PS+ gives me the games I wanted but just didn't get.

So would be nice if Sony added all the IGC to the PS4 store or at least show the games to be available from the online website or PS3/the system itself. Along with try to sell the Vita owning all 3 platforms is like gaming heaven for cheap as chips AAA titles along with a few expensive ones that you'd normally buy
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Quote Originally Posted by XSpike View Post
    Would be nice of Sony to add all the IGC to the PS4 store, so then people can get a nice backlog of games for the PSVita, so they invest in one & so they buy more recent titles for the device. I think if Sony starts treating the Vita correctly they could still save the system & make it last as long as the PS4. They could start buy releasing a nice bundle & an attachment for PS3 controllers to handle the PSVita above the controller & actually having an option for it (instead of the work around and poorly attached Vita).

Not to say Nintendo's next handhold will do poorly, just the Vita will keep getting cheaper while Nintendo next handhold will probably be just a bit/fair better then the Vita but at a higher cost. So there's still a market to keep the Vita around for long term so long as Sony can pump out some games that gamers would crave for. Or even just all the new PS4 owners getting 26 games each year for the Vita from PS+ and decide to buy one.

Sometimes its hard to think why the Vita isn't selling... OHH right Sony is bad at advertising it along with all the major benefits you wouldn't find anywhere else. PS+ long ago 'paid' for itself and my Vita, and a lot of things & it keeps on giving. I buy the games I really want, PS+ gives me the games I wanted but just didn't get.

So would be nice if Sony added all the IGC to the PS4 store or at least show the games to be available from the online website or PS3/the system itself. Along with try to sell the Vita owning all 3 platforms is like gaming heaven for cheap as chips AAA titles along with a few expensive ones that you'd normally buy
    I should probably know this, but what is IGC? Drawing a blank.

Dedicated Member
    ^IGC would be instant game collection.

this should be sort of obvious that they gained these many subscriptions because they turned it into a paid service, the number will constantly keep growing. But most of these subscriptions that will keep coming will be from western territories, few people from japan and rest of asia would care about online play. and sony isn't blocking other services except multiplayer if you dont have ps plus.

Thread Information