PS3 Can Run Yellow Dog Linux

I was reading recent technology news topics on dailyrotation.com when I spotted an article on PS3 able to run yellow dog linux.

Here is the proof:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/colu...x-20061018.ars

Power Member
    Yeah we've known this for about a week now.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol wow what a difference it makes to be part of a forum, we get to know things in advance before others even gets the news, whether its rumors or facts. its just like an underground organization

sorry man...it already posted....but good info....i'd good u points...but dont know how 2...so thx for the update tho..
    eazy...:2gun:zero19:2gun:..out

Yeah, I've been out of the loop in technology news. My college work has really got me sunk up to my waist.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDeath View Post

Here is the proof:
    Well, what do you mean by proof?

If your telling us that YDL is coming to ps3, then yes, no problem believing that.

However, just a few days ago the yellow dog website removed the quote about no video drivers available for the ps3 yet. So, yes, YDL is announced, but, you need caution in terms of what you mean by “proof”. There is not screen shots of this running on the ps3. If YDL is running on the ps3 now, it is a dos like (command prompt) interface.

I suppose the most interesting question is how this will be packaged as a application for the ps3? I don’t think this will be a duel boot setup, so, this will have to launched as a application FROM THE ps3 menus. that means even more limited memory beyond what the ps3 takes up now (and, that is confined to 256megs of ram, less what the ps3 takes. This VERY MUCH explains why the e17 desktop is going to be used (it is limited, and is LIGHT weight in terms of memory use). I suppose a duel boot setup might give a bit more memory, but things are a bit tight here.

Regardless, this is interesting development, and how the OS will be launched (at boot time, or from the ps3 menus) is going to be interesting.

Super Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Super Turtle View Post
    Well, what do you mean by proof?

If your telling us that YDL is coming to ps3, then yes, no problem believing that.

However, just a few days ago the yellow dog website removed the quote about no video drivers available for the ps3 yet. So, yes, YDL is announced, but, you need caution in terms of what you mean by “proof”. There is not screen shots of this running on the ps3. If YDL is running on the ps3 now, it is a dos like (command prompt) interface.

Super Turtle
    Ok. Well I was only posting what that website says as proof. You can choose to believe it or not. I was just showing a source. So lay off.

Elite Member

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/739/739688p1.html
    " ...v5.0 will be made available in a three-phase product rollout. At launch, users of the company's YDL.net service (which comes at a cost) will be able to download the OS to their computer and burn a bootable disc for installation on the PlayStation 3. Two weeks later, the company will offer ready-made installation discs for purchase through the site. Two weeks after that, it will be made freely available on public mirrors. In short, if you're willing to wait one month after the system's release, you'll be able to download Linux for it for free."

see distribution will be easy and seemless ( someone questioned dist. earlier) btw ps3 has 512 mb of ram not 256( rsx/ cell have access to both xdr and gddr3 ram)
    You need permission from the members to use their quotes. Memeber wanted his removed

Apprentice

It's the truth. The PS3 will be able to run Yellow Dog Linux 5.0. This is big news and it's going to mean the Playstation 3 is also a full fledged personal computer. The free bundled software that comes with YDL will include word processing programs, multimedia viewing software, emulation software, imaging software, multiple web browsers, chat programs, IM programs, and all kinds of programs for basically anything you would want to do.

For 600 dollars you are getting a top notch video game console, a Blu-ray player, and a home PC that can utilize the power of CELL. Now, you can't beat that anywhere for 600 dollars.

Yes!!! Emulation, I would love 2 play the old school arcades or neo-geo! So would i be able 2 run some windows apps???

Apprentice

There are open source linux emmulators for windows applications along with emulators for MAC OSX.

Elite Sage
    This has already been posted here:
    http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=33362

Please direct all future posts there.

Locked.
    I am a moron. Do not argue with me because I will drag you down to my level and win with experience .

My Imba 'net speed (no joke):

Thread Information