• XBONE XBOX LIVE

3 8.57%
  • UNDECIDED

3 8.57%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep exactly. Plus being a paid service is how PSN gets improved features like cross game chat for example which alot of people wanted.
    Ironically I haven't used that feature yet, but my value for PS+ comes from its instant games collection
    Which at the moment is worth every penny on PS3, I'm just not seeing the value if I only had a PS4
    Services, content and instance game collection is lacking on PS4, the instant game collection I can forgive but the store content is laughable at the moment

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    @crow. Sony wouldn't charge for x-game chat, we know this because they're not charging for it on the Vita. it's just there. also well, i should've said first that PS4 has it as default anyway. i'm sure it costs Sony money but it's likely not that high.
    Well my point is people wanted an improved PSN and that costs money. The free online play was never a sustainable business model if the service is to move forward with improvements.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-10-2014 at 22:38.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Ironically I haven't used that feature yet, but my value for PS+ comes from its instant games collection Which at the moment is worth every penny on PS3, I'm just not seeing the value if I only had a PS4 Services, content and instance game collection is lacking on PS4, the instant game collection I can forgive but the store content is laughable at the moment Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk
    I agree. But PS4 just launched so as time goes on the IGC lineup will improve. But yeah right now its pretty slim pickings. I'm only paying for PS+ right now so I can have my COD and KZ mp sessions. When the PS4 IGC lineup improves then that will become a reason as well. As for the stores PS4 content yeah its pathetic.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-10-2014 at 22:59.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    So there are a few ways to look at it, imo. Those who owned a PS3 and enjoyed free multiplayer without plus. For those folks, I have to ask.....why the hell didn't you buy plus? Talk about something that paid for itself immediately with the instant games on PS3. Then there are those who already had plus. Well, they are not paying anything more than what they already paid, so no big deal. Then there are those who didn't have a PS3 and are starting off with PS4. Not like those guys are losing free multiplayer. If they are coming over from Xbox then nothing has really changed, has it? Except, of course, if they don't want to pay anything extra and just want to play single player games and watch Netflix. Hmmmm......
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    So there are a few ways to look at it, imo. Those who owned a PS3 and enjoyed free multiplayer without plus. For those folks, I have to ask.....why the hell didn't you buy plus? Talk about something that paid for itself immediately with the instant games on PS3. Then there are those who already had plus. Well, they are not paying anything more than what they already paid, so no big deal. Then there are those who didn't have a PS3 and are starting off with PS4. Not like those guys are losing free multiplayer. If they are coming over from Xbox then nothing has really changed, has it? Except, of course, if they don't want to pay anything extra and just want to play single player games and watch Netflix. Hmmmm......
    Yep no apps behind a paywall. I like it. But like you said why didnt more PS3 people subscribe to plus? I've said this before, I'm of the opinion that if plus had the amount of subscription success that Sony was hoping for we might have actually seen online play be free again on the PS4. But since that didnt happen the free online play was no longer a sustainable business model.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-10-2014 at 22:57.

Forum Overseer
    Well my point is people wanted an improved PSN and that costs money. The free online play was never a sustainable business model if the service is to move forward with improvements.
    i realized what you meant before i left work but had no time to edit my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    because Sony were discreet, they still are. they are idiots.

i would do well in their marketing dept. they are run by a bunch of monkeys.

7. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    19:2, clear winner I see.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    19:2, clear winner I see.
    That's like asking the same question on an Xbox site lol. Really.....

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    To be fair, you can't deny that PS+ has actual value. It SAVES people money.

I don't have to buy Metro, Outlast, and Remember Me now - Couple that with the dozens of games I got over the years, that $#@! adds up and these were games I was PLANNING to buy one day.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

11. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    When you break it down to just online play I haven't noticed any horrendous lag on PSN, when you add in PS+, cross game chat, game streaming it becomes a wonderful service. Even without PS+ your PS4 and 3 are still amazing media streaming devices with web browser, netflix and the like, no charge.

What does Xbox offer you? To pay for those streaming services and 2 not so hot games a month.
    Yeah. Clear winner.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    When you break it down to just online play I haven't noticed any horrendous lag on PSN, when you add in PS+, cross game chat, game streaming it becomes a wonderful service. Even without PS+ your PS4 and 3 are still amazing media streaming devices with web browser, netflix and the like, no charge.

What does Xbox offer you? To pay for those streaming services and 2 not so hot games a month.
    Yeah. Clear winner.
    Some would prefer that i guess. Why? It's beyond me.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Too early to tell, my understanding is free games like 360 are coming to XBO, that would give it the edge in my book.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    To be fair, you can't deny that PS+ has actual value. It SAVES people money.

I don't have to buy Metro, Outlast, and Remember Me now - Couple that with the dozens of games I got over the years, that $#@! adds up and these were games I was PLANNING to buy one day.
    Oh, I wouldn't deny that it has a value for someone. Everyone is different. The first year I had PS+, it easily paid itself off. After that first year, I didn't renew for, six months I think. The only reason was there wasn't anything else I needed, or wanted on PS+ at that time. Since then, I've been a sub. I don't think it paid itself off this past year though.. I can't remember. It might have.

As far as the PS4 goes, since that is what the actual topic is about... it hasn't paid itself off, and online play has been ok most of the time, and $#@! the other part. So, going by the thread topic, as of the date, Live has been a better service for me. The online play hasn't been anything beyond superb for me.

Forum Overseer

Yeah. Clear winner.
    PSN doesn't have lag. the only thing Live had over PSN connection-wise was more stability in the beginning week of the game. otherwise, there was no difference. in fact, more games on PS3 had dedicated servers than 360.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    I haven't experienced any lag on PS4. I rarely did on PS3 and I've had DSL, Fios and now back to DSL. Before anyone asks, I only have DSL again because I moved and Fios isn't available where I live. I played extensively on xbox live and Psn through the years. The biggest difference for me in terms of online play before PS4 and XB1 was cross game chat/party chat. Now that difference isn't there and they are basically even IMO. But for everything else I still think PSN+ is the better deal.

18. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Yeah last gen I used both PSN and Live extensively as well and online performance was the same. The only difference was Live had a few more features. Yet I would hear certain people ( always seemed to be the Xbox biased people ) spouting the same bs about how much better online play supossedly was on Xbox Live. Maybe a placebo effect. lol And PSN online play has been excellent for me. Rock solid. And now with PS4 having cross game chat I see no advantage that Live has.
    I would hear the same thing from my xbox friends. I would show them and let them play but they would stick with their opinion. Not a big deal now because their opinion has changed and they see what I've been saying for so long. But it blew my mind for a long time.

20. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Too early to tell, my understanding is free games like 360 are coming to XBO, that would give it the edge in my book.
    lol, this kind of edge?

PS+ has already given me Resogun, Don't Starve... I get free games for 3 devices. Its crazy!
    In comparison 2 games a month is a joke, some of the games aren't even popular.

Ancient
    lol, this kind of edge?

PS+ has already given me Resogun, Don't Starve... I get free games for 3 devices. Its crazy!
    In comparison 2 games a month is a joke, some of the games aren't even popular.
    Thats not true, they was very popular 7 years ago.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Captncoke49 View Post
    I haven't experienced any lag on PS4. I rarely did on PS3 and I've had DSL, Fios and now back to DSL. Before anyone asks, I only have DSL again because I moved and Fios isn't available where I live. I played extensively on xbox live and Psn through the years. The biggest difference for me in terms of online play before PS4 and XB1 was cross game chat/party chat. Now that difference isn't there and they are basically even IMO. But for everything else I still think PSN+ is the better deal.
    People who lean towards Xbox Live (and use it for their online gaming) tend to be the ones having issues with the PSN. Go figure.

24. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Thats not true, they was very popular 7 years ago.

I don't think you guys have checked what we get for free (not rented) recently.
    Sleeping Dogs.
    Dead Island.

Between them and the deals they have had, I'm very very happy with what Live is doing for me on the 360.
    I cant comment on the One however.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    People who lean towards Xbox Live (and use it for their online gaming) tend to be the ones having issues with the PSN. Go figure.
    there's no difference between them connection-wise. if someone's having issues, it's on the software side of their router or might be their router/modem.

Ancient
    Sleeping Dogs.
    Dead Island.

Between them and the deals they have had, I'm very very happy with what Live is doing for me on the 360.
    Plus had Sleeping Dogs 3 months after release and "rented" is just a term Xbox owners use to degrade the service
    Unless you mean like Netflix? But thats more like PlayStation Now and IGC isn't really a library of games you can play, its more selected games thats offered to you for a limited time which you have unlimited access to as part of your subscription if you decide to download......no that doesn't sound like a rental service.
    And strangely enough every rental service I've used expires it's self as soon as I watch them obviously games are different so if mean by redbox or gamefly well I'll let you in on a little secret.....you not suppose to keep them.
    The reason they are tied to your subscription isn't because you are renting them, it's to prevent abuse of the service, I thought that would be pretty obvious, especially considering you can get over 6 games for £5 month subscription across all PS platforms
    Its definitely not completely free as access does require PS+, but its not a rental service not even remotely, but they aren't giving away New games for nothing..but neither is MS really.

Forum Sage
    Sleeping Dogs.
    Dead Island.

If all someone wants to do is play the games, does it really matter if you are renting them? I wouldn't say rent, however, it's a bit more like having access to a select library of titles that you can play (a bit like Netflix -- obviously it's not setup the same way but you should get the idea.)

Plus is good for me because I get to play games that I otherwise would have never bought (I will buy games that want to add to my collection.) Ups/downs to both...wouldn't say one is better than the other because of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    If all someone wants to do is play the games, does it really matter if you are renting them? I wouldn't say rent, however, it's a bit more like having access to a select library of titles that you can play (a bit like Netflix -- obviously it's not setup the same way but you should get the idea.)

Plus is good for me because I get to play games that I otherwise would have never bought (I will buy games that want to add to my collection.) Ups/downs to both...wouldn't say one is better than the other because of it.
    I guess it's the opposite for me. Plus holds value for me when there is a game available that I otherwise would have purchased. Resogun for example.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Plus had Sleeping Dogs 3 months after release and "rented" is just a term Xbox owners use to degrade the service
    Unless you mean like Netflix? But thats more like PlayStation Now and IGC isn't really a library of games you can play, its more selected games thats offered to you for a limited time which you have unlimited access to as part of your subscription if you decide to download......no that doesn't sound like a rental service.
    And strangely enough every rental service I've used expires it's self as soon as I watch them obviously games are different so if mean by redbox or gamefly well I'll let you in on a little secret.....you not suppose to keep them.
    The reason they are tied to your subscription isn't because you are renting them, it's to prevent abuse of the service, I thought that would be pretty obvious, especially considering you can get over 6 games for £5 month subscription across all PS platforms
    Its definitely not completely free as access does require PS+, but its not a rental service not even remotely, but they aren't giving away New games for nothing..but neither is MS really.

Do you own the titles? No.
    Can you download them whenever you want? No.
    Are they free? No, you HAVE to pay to play them.
    That's rental. You don't own it but you pay someoneelse to use it.

The games on XBL are free.

Once you "purchase it" its your to download whenever you want, 12 months form now if you want.
    You do not have to be part of any payment offer to download them. If 6 months from now, I don't subscribe to Live, I can still download Dead Island to any console I want.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PS+ is an excellent little service, and good value for money for any body with multiple devices, but it is a subscription service which means things can change, terms of service could change and there isn't anything you can do about it.
    In short, Sony could pull games you've downloaded at any point, and I mean ones you've already got on you console. Its a rental service.

Also, could someone tell me what happens on PS+ if your console gets stolen and you want to download a previous title on a new console? Can you download it again?

Discounts on games happen for both systems, I don't think that feature changes on either service.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-11-2014 at 06:11.

Thread Information