Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Xbox One's eSRAM Too Small to Output Games At 1080p. Will Catch up to PS4 - Rebellon

Much has been said and written about the Xbox One’s eSRAM. While it doesn’t approach the power offered by the PS4′s unified architecture – and has even been blamed for Xbox One titles being unable to run at 60 FPS and 1080p – many developers have defended it. After all, this is the beginning of the new generation – as a developer’s understanding of the hardware improves, so does the visual quality of the games.

Rebellion Games’ Jean-Baptiste Bolcato, who is working as a Senior Producer on the upcoming Sniper Elite 3, had some interesting opinions about that though. GamingBolt spoke to him about Sniper Elite 3′s Xbox One development and asked how the team was handling eSRAM. Some developers use it for texture streaming, storing z-buffer and praise its ease of use while others have problems – how is Rebellion handling that?

Bolcato stated that, “It was clearly a bit more complicated to extract the maximum power from the Xbox One when you’re trying to do that. I think eSRAM is easy to use. The only problem is…Part of the problem is that it’s just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It’s such a small size within there that we can’t do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.

“It means you have to do it in chunks or using tricks, tiling it and so on. It’s a bit like the reverse of the PS3. PS3 was harder to program for than the Xbox 360. Now it seems like everything has reversed but it doesn’t mean it’s far less powerful – it’s just a pain in the ass to start with. We are on fine ground now but the first few months were hell.”
    Will the process become easier over time as understanding of the hardware improves? “Definitely, yeah. They are releasing a new SDK that’s much faster and we will be comfortably running at 1080p on Xbox One. We were worried six months ago and we are not anymore, it’s got better and they are quite comparable machines. The Xbox One is a bit more multimedia, a bit more hub-centric so its a bit more complex. There’s stuff you can and can’t do because it’s a sort of multimedia hub. PS4 doesn’t have that. PS4 is just a games machine.”

The PS4 is thus more of a gaming machine in its core focus. “Yeah, I mean that’s probably why, well at least on paper, it’s a bit more powerful. But I think the Xbox One is gonna catch up. But definitely there’s this eSRAM. PS4 has 8GB and it’s almost as fast as eSRAM [bandwidth wise] but at the same time you can go a little bit further with it, because you don’t have this slower memory. That’s also why you don’t have that many games running in 1080p, because you have to make it smaller, for what you can fit into the eSRAM with the Xbox One.”

Despite the challenges, Rebellion Games are working closely with Microsoft and Sony while developing Sniper Elite 3. They are currently targeting 60fps for both the console versions. It is also interesting to note that Bolcato reveals that a new SDK update is on its way that will improve performance on the Xbox One. What that update will exactly do is still currently unknown or may be it’s the driver update that we reported about a month ago. Stay tuned for more details on Sniper Elite 3, including gameplay mechanics and the differences between current and next gen versions.
    Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-ones-esra...pwAvXY2zMpX.99

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Words are just words right now. I want to see this improvement. And so far, the XB1 is not on the same level.

Dead Rising 3 - 720p @ 30fps
    Assassin's Creed 4 - 720p
    Tomb Raider - 30fps (cutscenes @ 900p)
    Call of Duty: Ghosts - 720p
    Battlefield 4 - 720p
    Killer Instinct - 720p
    Ryse Son of Rome - 900p @30fps
    Titanfall - 720p

PS4 I believe delivers 1080p in all games. So less talking, and more fixing!
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-09-2014 at 15:56.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    PR from developers who will also be making games for X1. MS is suffering the consequences for their hardware choices while Sony is reaping the benefits of theirs.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-09-2014 at 15:26.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Words are just words right now. I want to see this improvement. And so far, the XB1 is not on the same level.

Dead Rising 3 - 720p @ 30fps
    Assassin's Creed 4 - 720p
    Tomb Raider - 30fps (cutscenes @ 900p)
    Call of Duty: Ghosts - 720p
    Battlefield 4 - 720p
    Killer Instinct - 720p
    Ryse Son of Rome - 900p
    Titanfall - 720p

PS4 I believe delivers 1080p in all games. So less talking, and more fixing!
    Bottom line is that all the advantages that MS had last gen do not exist this gen. While I do believe that over time things will improve for X1, I just don't think it will be enough.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by PoopIsTheBest View Post
    Bottom line is that all the advantages that MS had last gen do not exist this gen. While I do believe that over time things will improve for X1, I just don't think it will be enough.
    You are right, they will improve. And unfortunately for Microsoft, Sony will only improve as well.

There are no reasons for me to purchase any multiplat games on my XB1. And that is not good for Microsoft. There are many gamers who own both consoles. Most will purchase the version that runs and looks best.

6. Likes Fijiandoce, mistercrow, Captncoke49 likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Guy says X1 will "catch up". Think what he really means is that devs will "catch up" and figure out how to improve their game performance on the X1. Unless they refresh the hardware.....X1 can't truly "catch up".
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

8. Likes YoungMullah88 , mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    You are right, they will improve. And unfortunately for Microsoft, Sony will only improve as well. There are no reasons for me to purchase any multiplat games on my XB1. And that is not good for Microsoft. There are many gamers who own both consoles. Most will purchase the version that runs and looks best.
    I agree. Thats why last gen I bought all my multiplats on 360. This gen most dual console owners will buy their multiplats on PS4 for the same reason.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    You are right, they will improve. And unfortunately for Microsoft, Sony will only improve as well.

There are no reasons for me to purchase any multiplat games on my XB1. And that is not good for Microsoft. There are many gamers who own both consoles. Most will purchase the version that runs and looks best.
    No doubt. A friend of mine has both and he games mostly on PS4. He uses his XB1 for TV, working out and playing Forza. Im sure things will change at some point for him when halo is released. Lol

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    PR from developers who will also be making games for X1. MS is suffering the consequences for their hardware choices while Sony is reaping the benefits of theirs.
    Sony survived ( actually made good profits ) with wrong ( for some devs ) hardware choices they made. Now we will see how Ms will handle this.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    If xbox-one didn't have 1 game that was 1080p i could see how this would be an issue, but we know it does 1080p. Don't forget forza is the only 1080 60fps exclusive out there.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    If xbox-one didn't have 1 game that was 1080p i could see how this would be an issue, but we know it does 1080p. Don't forget forza is the only 1080 60fps exclusive out there.
    Running off a graphically enhanced Forza 4 engine with mostly barren tracks. Doesnt make a good case. And no its not the only exclusive running at 1080p 60fps. KZ SF multiplayer is 1080p 60fps.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-09-2014 at 15:50.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Sadly, it is much easier to make a racing game in 1080p at 60fps. The game really only needs to focus on the car. Everything around the car is nothing but a blur. And has far less detail to populate all together.

Running off a graphically enhanced Forza 4 engine with mostly barren tracks. Doesnt make a good case. And no its not the only one. KZ SF multiplayer is 1080p 60fps.
    I think he is talking about the Xbox One. Or at least I hope he is lol

Resogun is also 1080p @60fps.
    Knack is 1080p @60fps.
    Diablo 3 is 1080p @60fps (confirmed)
    Trine 2 as well.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-09-2014 at 15:55.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Sadly, it is much easier to make a racing game in 1080p at 60fps. The game really only needs to focus on the car. I think he is talking about the Xbox One. Or at least I hope he is lol
    I dont think he is. He said Forza 5 is the only 1080p 60fps exclusive "out there". Which of course is false. KZ SF multiplayer is 1080p 60fps.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-09-2014 at 15:55.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

This is why i don't get the argument. Sony don't have to look after all the multimedia stuff. their focus is 100% making the already powerful game console, better and more streamlined.

The only possible scenario where the statement -"catch up"- makes sense is if Sony sit on their bums for the next 5 or 6 years.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

17. Likes K2D , Ghost , Malt, Lethal likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Running off a graphically enhanced Forza 4 engine with mostly barren tracks. Doesnt make a good case. And no its not the only exclusive running at 1080p 60fps. KZ SF multiplayer is 1080p 60fps.
    It doesn't matter. Its still 1080p 60fps. Is it not. And don't act like KZ maintains that 60fps because it doesn't. ive played it enough times and seen it myself. Whats the excuse for it not hitting it in sp? Also Driveclub isn't 60fps as of right now, and The Order isn't 1080p. Its seems to be a bit of a double standard when it comes to this stuff.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Let's see how the updated SDK improves the games.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It doesn't matter. Its still 1080p 60fps. Is it not. And don't act like KZ maintains that 60fps because it doesn't. ive played it enough times and seen it myself. Whats the excuse for it not hitting it in sp? Also Driveclub isn't 60fps as of right now, and The Order isn't 1080p. Its seems to be a bit of a double standard when it comes to this stuff.
    Drive Club isnt even done yet so why drag that game into this? And at least that game runs on a next gen graphics engine that already looks better than Forza 5. And it does matter that Forza 5 runs on a last gen engine with mostly barren tracks. Thats why its the only 1080p x1 exclusive. Why doesnt the other x1 exclusives run at 1080p? Why are the multiplats all inferior on X1? Talk about double standards.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-09-2014 at 16:09.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    1. It is confirmed that Killzone multiplayer is in fact 60fps. As are all the other exclusives I mentioned.

2. Driveclub has been announced to be in 60fps. And the game is not out yet so arguing it is pointless.

And racing games are easiest to run in 60fps so that is also pointless.

Every single PS4 game is 1080p. Damn near every single Xbox One game is 720p. That is the issue that Microsoft needs to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Thread title is misleading, but that is the norm.

Obviously the XB1 can output to 1080p lol. smh

Let's see how the updated SDK improves the games.
    So why are all these multiplatform games not in 1080p? The PS3 and 360 had some 1080p games too. That does not say much. We know they can output the resolution. That is not in question.

Thread title is directly from the source.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-09-2014 at 16:13.

22. Likes K2D , YoungMullah88 , sainraja likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    lol....what do you mean it doesn't matter? Of course it matters. Pong at 1080p/60 fps is still just pong.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    lol....what do you mean it doesn't matter? Of course it matters. Pong at 1080p/60 fps is still just pong.
    lol I was trying to think of the best example to use. I think you nailed it.

25. Likes K2D likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Good example. I'm out of likes for now. lol

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    C'mon.. the visuals with Forza 5 are top notch. "it doesn't matter" was most likely referring to mistercrows belittling of Forza 5 for being on a an enhanced Forza 4 engine, with barren tracks. lol.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Killzone has render targets of 1080p30 and 1080p60, for SP and MP respectively.

The order could run at 1080p30, instead the devs want 4xMSAA (which has a significant bandwidth drain - PS4 has a 256bit-bus??? which is on the limit for 4xMSAA iirc) and have used 1920x800 instead.

No one says the XB1 can't hit 1080p60 -The PS360 were capable of that even- it's compared to the PS4, that 1080p becomes difficult (see lethal post above for examples)
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

29. Likes K2D likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    C'mon.. the visuals with Forza 5 are top notch. "it doesn't matter" was most likely referring to mistercrows belittling of Forza 5 for being on a an enhanced Forza 4 engine, with barren tracks. lol.
    LMAO! Nothing belittling about it. Its a fact. Barren tracks like Laguna Seca and others-check, graphically enhanced Forza 4 engine - check. You can even see some of the old assets. Racing games are the easiest to achieve this anyway. Thats why Forza 5 is the only 1080p X1 exclusive. And almost all the multiplats on it are only 720p. Smh.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-09-2014 at 16:23.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Dude, you know racing games are the easiest to achieve 1080p @60fps. There just isn't much to render. It is not like having to render an open world, or an area with particle effects out the ass. Come on man lol

Racing games should not even be mentioned as an example lol

And I believe the track detail is straight from Forza 4 if I am not mistaken. 360 also ran Forza 4 at 60fps..
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-09-2014 at 16:21.

Thread Information