Apprentice

Best way to record my PS3 gameplay

Hey guys. I haven't posted here for a very long time, but I need some advice and I'm not sure where else to ask. Or if I'm asking in the right thread, for that matter.

Anyway, me and a friend are going to start recording some gameplay and putting it out there and I've been looking at the various methods of doing such a thing and I'm a bit lost. It's between the Elgato Game Capture HD and the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and I can't decide, so I'll give you guys a little more info so you can get a better picture of what I want.

I'll be using a Mac to edit and upload all the footage, it's what I've got and I'm more comfortable with it anyway. I also have Final Cut and such editing things to put it all together, so whether the hardware has the right software doesn't matter as much to me. We will also be uploading them to YouTube when they're edited, if that makes any bearing on the choice of hardware.

We want to record primarily PS3 and PS4 footage, but we will also be delving into older consoles when we can, namely the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Megadrive (Genesis for US) and also PS1 and PS2. So, I'd like something that can do all those things.

Again, I don't know if I'm in the right place here, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    bizarro_thirteen
    I had a HD PVR 2 and it was a real pain in the ass for me to get working on PS3. After finally figuring out how to get it set up, it seemed somewhat finicky on when it wanted to work properly with it.

Remember, you can't do HDMI output to a device with PS3. You have to use a composite passthrough no matter what you use. I'm under the impression that the Elgato makes that process a tad easier, but I'm not sure.

Thread Information