Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

'Windows 8 Is A Disaster In Every Sense Of The Word'

This strongly echoes my personal feelings on Windows 8.

One of Microsoft's strongest supporters took a good, hard look at the soon-to-be released next version of Windows 8, which could arrive in April, and threw his hands up in frustration.The new version is called Windows 8 Update 1, and it includes a number of small changes, mostly minor tweaks.

These tweaks try to fix some of the complaints people still had about Windows 8. But blogger Paul Thurrott of the influential Windows blog “Supersite for Windows” says they really just make Windows 8 more difficult to use, especially on a tablet.
    He took Microsoft to task, writing:
    Windows 8 is a disaster in every sense of the word. This is not open to debate, is not part of some cute imaginary world where everyone's opinion is equally valid or whatever. Windows 8 is a disaster. Period.

There’s no reason to rehash the long list of complaints users have about Windows 8. We can summarize them: Windows 8 is not well designed. It's not easy to use.
    While the idea behind it was good — a two-in-one device that melds a PC with a table — in practice, it's "a mess" Thurrott says, because it's really two operating systems, “mobile and desktop, fused together unnaturally like a Frankenstein's monster."
    He’s got a great explanation for how Microsoft got here, too. It's all thanks to former Windows boss Steven Sinofsky:
    It's fair to say that this man shares many of the same character traits—and flaws—that defined Steve Jobs. He was belligerent and one-sided, didn't work well with others, had no qualms about tossing out features and technologies that didn't originate with his group, and had absolutely zero respect for customer feedback. … [but] he lacked Jobs' best gift: An innate understanding of good design.”

What Microsoft has done with Windows 8 since its release is what Thurrott likened to an apology tour. It's tried to listen to everybody’s feedback, changing this and that, and making it more confusing with each attempted fix.

The answer, Thurrott says, is obvious: stop trying to make Windows into something for everyone. Make it really great for its most important users: enterprises and productivity workers. Or as Thurrott advises:
    You can't please everybody, Microsoft. So stop trying.
    Source:http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...he-word-2014-2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I agree completely. I can not stand having 8 on my laptop.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Meh, don't like the tiles, but I'm more than capable getting around with it. I used to strongly dislike it... now, not so much really.

4. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    If the goal was to have an OS that works well across a range of different devices, why did they mess it all up by forcing the Metro on desktop users? From the very start Windows 8 should've worked like Windows 7, not a forced tablet interface that you gotta switch form. Much less the damn popups trying to 'help' me, automatically moving my content and resizing windows, or the removed convenience of the Start Menu. I don't know how anyone can get anything done on it.

Maybe Microsoft's wanted to slowly transition the average desktop user towards a more tablet-like design with each iterative OS and update. Or maybe they're wholly incompetent. I don't know. It seems obvious with the original goal they should've had the core OS with two different interfaces that are purely optional and unobtrusive to each other. Yeah, that could've worked perfectly fine. Instead they just pissed everyone off.

Personally, I think the desktop is nearly perfect. All Microsoft needs to do is expand its capabilities a little further, keeping their operating system quick and open. I have an installed shell that gives my desktop multiple pages, much like an iphone or android has. It works flawlessly, giving me virtually infinite workspace to organize my stuff. Why doesn't MS add that? Or finally make the GUI vector-based, so uber high resolution don't shrink everything down to the size of an ant?

I guess they are incompetent.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 02-11-2014 at 23:27.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

6. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    If the goal was to have an OS that works well across a range of different devices, why did they mess it all up by forcing the Metro on desktop users? From the very start Windows 8 should've worked like Windows 7, not a forced tablet interface that you gotta switch form. Much less the damn popups trying to 'help' me, automatically moving my content and resizing windows, or the removed convenience of the Start Menu. I don't know how anyone can get anything done on it.

Maybe Microsoft's wanted to slowly transition the average desktop user towards a more tablet-like design with each iterative OS and update. Or maybe they're wholly incompetent. I don't know. It seems obvious with the original goal they should've had the core OS with two different interfaces that purely optional and unobtrusive to each other. Yeah, that could've worked perfectly fine. Instead they just pissed everyone off.

Personally, I think the desktop is nearly perfect. All Microsoft needs to do is expand its capabilities a little further, keeping their operating system quick and open. I have an installed shell that gives my desktop multiple pages, much like an iphone or android has. It works flawlessly, giving me virtually infinite workspace to organize my stuff. Why doesn't MS add that? Or finally make the GUI vector-based, so uber high resolution don't shrink everything down to the size of an ant?

I guess they are incompetent.
    The bolded is so elementary a toddler could have seen it coming. Hammer meet nail, good post Rapture. +rep

Maybe Windows 9 will be less of a $#@!fest.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Not used the start menu since XP. All I do is search for programs and stuff, same on windows h8te.

The metro UI is awful on a regular desktop but it is usable when using touch screen. I have not spent a huge amount of time using windows h8te though.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I hated Windows 8 the moment I seen the widgets were removed. Those assholes!

Yes I know I can still install widgets, but the ones I used do not work.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LM-93
    Items Battlefield 3AppleAvenged SevenfoldEA SportsJoker (limited ICON)Metallica
    My mum has windows 8 as standard from when she bought her laptop, I've since been on that laptop a maximum of five times and have chosen to never upgrade to windows 8.
    It frustrates me so much, 99% of the time something just happens regardless of what I'm trying to do, popups etc
    I'm incredibly happy with windows 7 and I shall remain that way until an OS like it is released. 8 is just too much change, not necessary.

PSN: LM-93
    Lets Play!
    PS4.

11. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Yeah I was thinking just the other day the dam thing could easily have a "mode" switch that flicked between tablet and PC experience.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by LM-93 View Post
    My mum has windows 8 as standard from when she bought her laptop, I've since been on that laptop a maximum of five times and have chosen to never upgrade to windows 8.
    It frustrates me so much, 99% of the time something just happens regardless of what I'm trying to do, popups etc
    I'm incredibly happy with windows 7 and I shall remain that way until an OS like it is released. 8 is just too much change, not necessary.
    Yeah, I use Mac personally, but Windows in a virtual machine. Went back to Win7 and am happier for it.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I see no problems with Windows 7, it honestly is superior.
    I just hate how they messed up the show desktop icon and put it in the bottom right.

I guess this is something the new CEO can focus on.
    Last edited by mickice; 02-12-2014 at 02:12.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Meh, don't like the tiles, but I'm more than capable getting around with it. I used to strongly dislike it... now, not so much really.
    Yeah, but I do like the tiles. Microsoft did make some silly decisions regarding Windows 8 (which they are now fixing) but overall I agree. If you spend enough time with it, you can get around it.

Friendship is Carrots
    I think that's either battered wife or Stockholm Syndrome at work.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Yeah, but I do like the tiles. Microsoft did make some silly decisions regarding Windows 8 (which they are now fixing) but overall I agree. If you spend enough time with it, you can get around it.
    Oh I agree with ya. From the start it seems terrible, but after getting used to how it all works, it's just fine.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Oh I agree with ya. From the start it seems terrible, but after getting used to how it all works, it's just fine.
    Yup. They just need to keep refining it. No need to reinvent the wheel anymore. Refine, refine, refine. If they can do that, then people's feeling about Windows 8 now will be history.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yeah I was thinking just the other day the dam thing could easily have a "mode" switch that flicked between tablet and PC experience.
    It doesn't really need a switch. They just need to accommodate the desktop user more. They basically ignored the deskop user in favor of tablet users...but overall Windows 8 isn't that bad, not as bad as many people are making it out to be.

Master Sage
    Metro or Desktop layouts on a PC don't bother me, but they really should pick one and remove the other.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Flat........................... the desktop and lets not even mention tablet wannabe mode. There better be some crazy awesome shell themes to liven up the desktop view.

Either way people still arent buying into 8 and as far as I'm concerned I really don't care if they do banish it and start over with 9.

Super Elite
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Extreme Poster
    “mobile and desktop, fused together unnaturally like a Frankenstein's monster."

This is exactly what I said.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    XP and 7 dominating doesn't surprise me, those of us dissing 8 are also not upgrading to 8 any time soon or ever no matter how much some may enjoy it.

Hell, I'd install XP 64bit over 8 any day of the week and your average casual user would probaly be better off.
    Microsofts apps are weak sauce at best compared to Android and iOS.
    Last edited by mickice; 02-12-2014 at 16:10.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    great point. i think MS would gain from having unique and strong apps for their OS only.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    UGH! never have i hated summit so much, what is even the point of it unless you have a touch screen laptop/pc? i dont even use the apps, i just go straight to my desktop, not too mention all in incompatibility issues i get! (lenovo thinkpad)

and having to shut down but navigating to the right hand corner? go $#@! yourself!!!
    Last edited by 33x; 02-12-2014 at 16:37.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    “mobile and desktop, fused together unnaturally like a Frankenstein's monster."

This is exactly what I said.
    It is almost like MS is trying to force-feed touch screen desktops down everyone's throats. They pushed it with Windows 7 and it failed miserably. Same thing with Win 8, but now they have jacked up the interface. They don't get it. The interface wasn't the problem. People don't want touch screen desktops or laptops.

Steve Jobs called it, btw. Everyone speculated that iOS would replace OS X. Jobs came out and bluntly said that they tried it and it sucked and that touch on desktop or laptop screen just didn't work.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    8.1 makes it hell of a lot better but it doesn't fix the issue. i will say though i'm enjoying it more ever since i reinstalled the windows from scratch...meaning, no bloated $#@! from the manufacturer. it's amazing how much crap is in there even after you try to remove just about everything. and i don't just mean programs..i also mean services. i have tried my best, it's almost impossible to clean them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    It is almost like MS is trying to force-feed touch screen desktops down everyone's throats. They pushed it with Windows 7 and it failed miserably. Same thing with Win 8, but now they have jacked up the interface. They don't get it. The interface wasn't the problem. People don't want touch screen desktops or laptops.
    i think they were trying to hit two birds with one stone. this is precisely why Windows has been bloated over the years. they want it to do everything.

this is why it would've been intelligent to make a gaming focused OS. which is what Valve is doing now.

Steve Jobs called it, btw. Everyone speculated that iOS would replace OS X. Jobs came out and bluntly said that they tried it and it sucked and that touch on desktop or laptop screen just didn't work.
    i somewhat agree with him but i think we just need to look at it more intelligently.

the new laptops that can become tablets, from that respect, i can see touchscreen. but yes, regular desktop on laptops with touchscreen doesn't work.

i still do use it though, my son thinks every screen is touch whereas i can't get used to touching the screen to get it to do what i want it to. funny.

Forum Sage
    What Steve Jobs said, at the time he said it, is correct. Apple is capable of re-adjusting (when the time is right) -- Steve Jobs said something similar about tablets a while back. They are doing tablets now and are quite successful.

Thread Information