PSN ID
    krome4284

Digital Copy onto two consoles?

Hey guys I have a curious question that I was wondering anyone would happen to know.

When the PS4 released I was very lucky to buy two of them at walmart. One for myself and my gf and the other for my brother for christmas. After playing around with them for awhile I realized that we were going to be on a tight budget very soon so I was trying to figure out a way to by a copy of a game that we could share at the same time. I came up with an idea:

What we did was download his profile onto my ps4 and had him register to both of the ps4s that we owned.( I would have done it the other way but I use my vita as a second device but it doesnt matter ) Then I thought that maybe if he bought the digital copy of a game on my ps4 then redownload the game he bought onto his ps4 then maybe we could share that copy of a game without having to buy two copies.

This may sound stupid but since im going to college, I think wasting money on two copies of a game is just down right idiotic. Seeing as how much of a dissappointment COD ghosts was, the buggy atrocity that battlefield 4 became, and the let down of Killzone 4, I wasnt about to spend any money on any game that the ps store has to offer right now to test this idea. If anyone has tested this already or if maybe there is a way but this is wrong or maybe that it just isnt possible please let me know.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The lovely people at Sony decided it was a great idea to only allow a single Playstation 4 to be activated at a time.

Last I heard anyways.

I have 2 PS3 consoles that I share all my digital games on. It is foolish to think a household would not have at least 2 PS4 consoles. In fact, I would have 2 PS4 consoles if I were able to game share.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    I agree with lethal. I've got two ps3 that share all of my digital downloads and would definitely get another ps4 for my kids it worked the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Don't forget that each console will also need its own Paystation plus account just to play online.
    If you're on a budget and want a big selection, at the moment PS3 is the better choice.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

PSN ID
    krome4284
    Right now I have my old xbox 360 which is what im using to play games right now (right now im boycotting anything from EA after wasting money on battlefield 4, COD ghosts isnt worth it for me right now since better games are coming out soon, and I have Killzone 4 but its been a pretty big but gorgeous let down). There are really good games that are coming out this year anyways and not to mention that playstation now will be on the ps4 which will let me play ps3 games anyways. This bums me out but I should have known better anyways. Thanks for the replies!!!!

dont worry my xbox 360 wouldnt let me share digital copies of games on two different consoles so if i could have, I would have bought the ps3 instead.

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    hmm, if you want to share games, physical discs is the only way to go. although you won't be able to play at the same time. but your best bet, if money is an issue, is just get a year of plus for yourself and your brother and get the free games on both consoles for less than the cost of 2 full price retail games. also the free-2-play games they have aren't bad. you could play blacklight, warframe, or even dc universe online.

Forum Sage
    Sony needs to implement five devices like they use to / like Apple does right now.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Im sure Sony and Publishers both want PS accounts to be more like steam.

Aren't you able to dl and play your games on whatever PS4 you log in to, in addition to one home console?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

I'm A Monster!
    Items User name style
    Only way you can do it is if you're in the same household and one of you is on a sub account of the others. This works for at least 2 PS4's... I have a buddy I play with. He bought Call of Duty, NFS, and another game digitally, his son can play them at the same time on a sub account and he shares the PS Plus as well. You do have to be in the same household though.

Sent from my pants on my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    My understanding was that you can have the digital copy of a game on multiple consoles and you can technically play them both at the same time as well, just activate his console as your primary, on the primary console anyone can login to that console and play the games that are on it (he will then be able to login with his normal account and play all those games) and the console you keep at your place just login with your normal account (don't activate that one as primary) and you should be able to both play the same game at the same time with only having to purchase it once!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

11. Likes Malt likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efs5030 View Post
    Only way you can do it is if you're in the same household and one of you is on a sub account of the others. This works for at least 2 PS4's... I have a buddy I play with. He bought Call of Duty, NFS, and another game digitally, his son can play them at the same time on a sub account and he shares the PS Plus as well. You do have to be in the same household though.

Sent from my pants on my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Not true (having to be in same house). Me and my cousin are currently sharing on PS4. We made each others PS4 our primary. His is my primary & mine is his. Different houses , still sharing. Add the user (so I'd make sure to only do this with someone you trust) credentials and all. Login to their account , set as primary . Have them do the same. Let's say you buy NBA2K14 digitally. He/She can then login to your account , initiate download , then back out to their account and have the game d/l to their console. It is a bit goofy how it works though. So far from my experience you have to browse all the way to ALL GAMES and get it there ( should be a PS Bag indicating already purchased). For some odd reason if you click on one of the tiles advertising the game , it does not register that it has been purchased , at least for me. I have d/l NFS , NBA2K14 , BF4 Premium , Tomb Raider DE from my cousin thus far w/o a hitch & he from me for ACIV DLC & soon to be Thief , MGSV GZ , iNFamous 2nd son etc.... Happy sharing !!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    My understanding was that you can have the digital copy of a game on multiple consoles and you can technically play them both at the same time as well, just activate his console as your primary, on the primary console anyone can login to that console and play the games that are on it (he will then be able to login with his normal account and play all those games) and the console you keep at your place just login with your normal account (don't activate that one as primary) and you should be able to both play the same game at the same time with only having to purchase it once!

This.. ^^^

Digitally bought copies can be played on the primary PS4 of the purchaser by the purchaser using his account and also using any sub account registered on that machine. You can download the game on as many other consoles as you want by having the purchaser's PSN account registered as a sub account but access to the game on non primary consoles is tied to that account, it can be only be played by logging in with the purchasers PSN account. Two people max can log in using the same username at the same time on separate machines, so two people can play a shared game at any one time..
    Last edited by Malt; 02-12-2014 at 18:28.

14. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post

Thread Information