PSU Live Streamer

Xbox One vs PS4: AMD Outs Console-Like GPUs

source

AMD has released GPUs which are comparable to those found in the PS4 and Xbox One.
    The Xbox One GPU is based on AMD's Bonaire design, with two CUs disabled Now, AMD has released the exact same configuration for the PC space with the R7-260 (minus the X) for $109. The only difference would now are the GPUs' clocks - the R7 260 is clocked at 1GHz whereas Xbox One GPU comes in at 853MHz.
    For illustration purposes, check out the diagram below. In its analysis of the R7-260, The Guru of 3D writes:
    "The R7-260 is a fun, almost entry-level product that is going to allow you to game at 1280x720 to say 1600x1200. If you stick to these resolutions then you may apply good image quality settings. At an MSRP of 79 EURO + VAT (or $109 USD) however it is a fair deal. You'll be looking at perf in-between say a Radeon HD 7770 and Radeon HD 7790."

Meanwhile, the PS4's GPU has 18CUs (active) coupled to a memory bandwidth of 176GB/s. Previously we've had the 7850 as a reference but that GPU was coupled to 153GB/s memory bandwidth. However, with the R7-265 we have a new basis for comparison. Essentially a cutdown Pitcairn (16 CUs but running at higher clocks), the R7-265 is coupled with 179GB/s of memory bandwidth.
    PC Perspective notes:
    "For gamers looking at a budget of $150, the AMD Radeon R7-265 is clearly the best card you can buy today. Well, technically in the future, as it won't be for sale until the end of February or early March. If nothing else changes (ha!) between now and then, I expect the R7-265 to be the most popular choice for mainstream gamers that want performance and don't have any power consumption concerns. Running today's games at 1920x1080 with Ultra or Very High presets was completely feasible in most games. Only Crysis 3 presented a problem that would cause me to drop image quality settings. That is an incredible feat for a $150 graphics card."
    Below is an analysis of the various GPUs' performance in games.

It seems that the PS4-like R7-265 offers solid performance given its low price point and may be worth paying a little extra for over the Xbox One-similar R7-260. The PS4 is more powerful on paper and that has demonstrated itself in terms of developers typically offering higher resolutions and framerates on the console compared to Xbox One but for sheer technical prowess, PC remains king as always.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Thread moved to comparisons section.

Super Elite
    I have an XFX 7950 that cost me 190 before the PS4 and One came out and far superior to the console iterations.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    AMD still pissin and moaning. There is a reason why they are feeling the need to prove what everyone already knows. Why are they wasting time to prove that the always upgrading PC is more powerful? The best graphics card costs as much as the entire PS4 console. Congrats AMD, you proved what everyone has known since the beginning of gaming lol.

I paid $300 for my graphics card. (GTX 770) But I still prefer the home console experience.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-15-2014 at 15:35.

5. Likes Malt, VayMasters86 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The PC elitist seem to feel the need to constantly ring that bell. Insecurity at its finest. lol

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    The PC elitist seem to feel the need to constantly ring that bell. Insecurity at its finest. lol
    No very secure actually.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    No very secure actually.
    AMD seems to be pretty insecure about it all. All of a sudden they feel the need to prove something about PC's that world did not already know.

But it is the console exclusives they need to worry about. Not the GPU chips.

Super Elite
    I prefer third party games.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    No very secure actually.
    A secure person doesn't feel the need to constantly toot their horn. So no, not secure at all.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    A secure person doesn't feel the need to constantly toot their horn. So no, not secure at all.
    True. Before the ps4 was out pc and console guys never had words. Now it's a different story. The PC guys remind us at every opportunity that PC trumps all.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    I paid $300 for my graphics card. (GTX 770) But I still prefer the home console experience.
    That's your own fault. I have a nice gaming PC...a watercooled 7850 overclocked is in it, only cost me a cool $140. It's comparable to current gen consoles. Of course that's teh beauty of PC gaming: it is what YOU make of it.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-15-2014 at 15:39.

Forum Overseer
    AMD still pissin and moaning. There is a reason why they are feeling the need to prove what everyone already knows. Why are they wasting time to prove that the always upgrading PC is more powerful? The best graphics card costs as much as the entire PS4 console. Congrats AMD, you proved what everyone has known since the beginning of gaming lol.

try almost 3x. Titan is about $1000.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-15-2014 at 15:38.

Elite Sage

Titan isn't the best GPU and hasn't been for sometime. GTX 780/ 780Ti and R290x all beat it for little over half price.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I don't see how this is outing consoles though.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    That's your own fault. I have a nice gaming PC...a watercooled 7850 overclocked is in it, only cost me a cool $140. It's comparable to current gen consoles. Of course that's teh beauty of PC gaming: it is what YOU make of it.
    I meant to say GTX 770. And what is my own fault? It is my fault that PC gaming is not what it once was? Is it my fault that the games I played do not look any different than what I played on my PS4?

Injustice
    Tomb Raider
    Battlefield 4

Sorry, but my entire PC costs 4x more than my PS4, and the games look no different. In fact, Tomb Raider looks better on the PS4.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-15-2014 at 15:42.

Elite Sage

Technically BF4 would look better at 1080p on your PC.

Unless the gap between 900p and 1080p isn't as big as some make out when it's the PS4/Xbone comparisons.

Horses for courses though. PC gaming isn't for everyone. Suits my needs much more than consoles though

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I meant to say GTX 770. And what is my own fault? It is my fault that PC gaming is not what it once was? Is it my fault that the games I played do not look any different than what I played on my PS4?

Injustice
    Tomb Raider
    Battlefield 4

Sorry, but my entire PC costs 4x more than my PS4, and the games look no different. In fact, Tomb Raider looks better on the PS4.
    Just shows how much was put into the PS4, from a hardware perspective. Also, maybe the developers didn't go balls deep against the high end pc specs.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Unless the gap between 900p and 1080p isn't as big as some make out when it's the PS4/Xbone comparisons.
    i don't think anyone's arguing about the 900p to 1080p but there is a difference if your TV is big enough. generally the comparisons are behind 720p and 1080p and in theory as to my knowledge there's only one multiplat on Xbox One that is 720p and 1080p on PS4.

basically, would i want BF4 to be 1080p on my 46"? $#@! YES. It's still blurry!!!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't think anyone's arguing about the 900p to 1080p but there is a difference if your TV is big enough. generally the comparisons are behind 720p and 1080p and in theory as to my knowledge there's only one multiplat on Xbox One that is 720p and 1080p on PS4.

basically, would i want BF4 to be 1080p on my 46"? $#@! YES. It's still blurry!!!
    If it's still blurry on 46" TV then you are probably gaming on a PC without AA. On the PC I take off the AA because the picture seems much more crisp without it.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    If it's still blurry on 46" TV then you are probably gaming on a PC without AA. On the PC I take off the AA because the picture seems much more crisp without it.
    you mean i'm gaming with AA. and i agree, i'd rather have no AA than 900p with AA.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

I do not think there is a noticeable different in 900p vs 1080p. $#@!, there was a time when nobody could see the difference between 720p and 1080p. Many still can't..

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I do not think there is a noticeable different in 900p vs 1080p. $#@!, there was a time when nobody could see the difference between 720p and 1080p. Many still can't..
    I guess it really just depends on the game. I noticed the difference in AC IV when it was patched to 1080p immediately. But it is rare for a game to be patched to increase its resolution, isn't it? I can't remember ever seeing a game that was patched and I played it again and noticed a thing that was different.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I guess it really just depends on the game. I noticed the difference in AC IV when it was patched to 1080p immediately. But it is rare for a game to be patched to increase its resolution, isn't it? I can't remember ever seeing a game that was patched and I played it again and noticed a thing that was different.
    I also noticed the difference. But I am playing on a 55" TV. I also think the update improved some of the textures.

I have never seen a console game get a resolution patch before.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-16-2014 at 00:44.

Forum Overseer
    you would need the right sized TV and you'd have to sit close to it. reason why people couldn't tell because was because console gamers are new to these resolutions and they didn't all start gaming with bigger TVs...

also they don't sit close enough so that also doesn't help. PC monitors are better at showing the differences even with its smaller size, in addition you're stuck to sitting very close so it's very noticeable on there.

there is definitely a difference because i feel a difference between 720p and 900p. also being an ex-PC gamer, i know there's a huge difference between resolutions that are even smaller in difference.

Thread Information