Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Cboat #Truthfact: Kinectless Xbone sku in the summer

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...768722&page=12

"ye syes n yes. sumer at leariest tho. cee how ##s stand in May"

Getting rid of that gimmick is a smart move from MS.

they'll have a legitimate shot at getting back into the race

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    For $100 cheaper? Would be redeeming in deed.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Whole new ballgame if true
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Friendship is Carrots
    But isn't Microsoft is selling units? They're not suffering. After all the monetary and PR investment over the Kinect, it really doesn't make sense they'd turn on it like this.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    But isn't Microsoft is selling units? They're not suffering. After all the monetary and PR investment over the Kinect, it really doesn't make sense they'd turn on it like this.
    they're not

we can look it two ways

1. removing kinect will give them a fighting chance (though imo they'll never catch up)

2. removing kinect will be basically admitting they made the wrong choice by including it and the system itself will lose its defining characteristic.

most astute people saw this coming a long time ago.

6. Likes dondidit likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Removing kinect or having a kinectless option alongside current SKU would be great for them.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    300 is the most I can pay for a xbone.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

9. Likes mistercrow, Shingo likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    they're not
    I don't dig into sales articles much, but everything I've seen shows otherwise. It's behind the PS4 but still selling steadily and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    we can look it two ways

1. removing kinect will give them a fighting chance (though imo they'll never catch up)

2. removing kinect will be basically admitting they made the wrong choice by including it and the system itself will lose its defining characteristic.

most astute people saw this coming a long time ago.
    It's both of those. A Kinect-less SKU would definitely increase sales, but it'll also show that Microsoft stumbled into this generation not knowing what the $#@! they were doing. They've backpedaled enough already, and this would be a hell of a step.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yes X1 is selling. It may not be beating PS4 but it is selling pretty well. This would be a big deal if they did this. But how will they advertise it after. So much of the advertising shows it off with Kinect. Being more about vice control and what not.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Super Elite
    rolls eyes they would be the epitome of every joke around the world if they did that lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    didn't they gave up almost everything they said e3 2013 ? I don't understand what are they waiting for ? people don't want that thing, period, they need to remove it. Sales are very good actually with kinect, a device almost noone wants.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Dropping Kinect would be the final nail in MS's vision for their gen 8 console. They pretty much gutted it when they buckled under consumer backlash but a Kinectless SKU would mean the only real points of differentiation would be the games and online experience.

15. Likes Justin , mistercrow, PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Dropping Kinect would be the final nail in MS's vision for their gen 8 console. They pretty much gutted it when they buckled under consumer backlash but a Kinectless SKU would mean the only real points of differentiation would be the games and online experience.
    It would give them a better chance though, and really will tell if the sales figures remain the same (e.g. PS4 outselling XB1) even with this apparent price drop (of course assuming Cboat is believed/right).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It is stepping back from that vision. But if that vision is costing them sales it might be time to rethink things. I think they were just testing the waters to see how customers would react. Sales are solid right now but I'm sure It's not where they want to be atm.this could be the tipping point. But this is simply a rumor right now so I guess we will see how this pans out.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Visions change as long as it means more money. I have said it from day one that I do not give a rats ass about Kinect, and I $#@!ing hate the idea of motion controls, voice controls, etc. Give me an Xbox One minus the stupid Kinect and I will buy it. Their sales will go way up if they make this move, guaranteed. I know there are many who feel the same way as me. Plus the other bonus here is they can then sell their console at the same price point as the PS4.

8 years and counting!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    That $100 price gap is going to hurt X1 in the long run. Sales in the launch window are good, but I don't think they can maintain sales with the price disadvantage especially considering the state of multiplat games graphically superior on the PS4. Something has to give. Either MS just eats the cost of Kinect or they drop it.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

20. Likes Justin likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    That $100 price gap is going to hurt X1 in the long run. Sales in the launch window are good, but I don't think they can maintain sales with the price disadvantage especially considering the state of multiplat games graphically superior on the PS4. Something has to give. Either MS just eats the cost of Kinect or they drop it.
    Something will give, and dropping the Kinect makes the most sense.

8 years and counting!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    If true that would be good for MS, but even with the 100 dollar higher price tag they dont really seem to be struggling in sales.

Tacos Rule!

YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakace View Post
    If true that would be good for MS, but even with the 100 dollar higher price tag they dont really seem to be struggling in sales.
    Not yet but thinking of it long term and the hardcore gamers out of the equation could be a completely different story.

8 years and counting!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    MS needs to realize that most people dont want their Kinect especially if it adds $100 to the price. If MS drops Kinect yes, they will be laughed at across the Internet for completely abandoning their vision but in the real world sales will increase.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    They're getting hammered by the PS4. All information and rumors we have point to this being the case- the 'race' isn't close out the gate and they'd rather not compound this sales gap going forward.

Evidenced here:

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/st...02813178597376

Now, and it has been mentioned, this puts them in an awkward position. They're going to have to backtrack on all the Kinect PR they were spouting over the last months and decouple it from the system.

That's not great, but what's worse is the fact that now they have nothing to really differentiate their system. They have a bigger machine with considerably weaker specs (which shows in all multiplats and their exclusives so far struggle to hit 1080p), a service that you pay more for less with (XBL), I mean.. You can't even replace the 500GB hard drive.

How are they going to differentiate themselves now at a $400 price point? In what way can they say "Getting an Xbox is clearly the better proposition" to the consumer?

A kinectless SKU is sending a very, very different message than the one MS was transmitting up until this point.

This is something that should have happened before the machine launched in my book, but their entire system design is reflective upon incorporating the device in every box. To make it a multimedia machine (which Kinect is a crucial & integral part).

Short term? Obviously more sales.

Long term? This won't beat the competition. All multiplats will look and play better on PS4 and Sony has far and away more first party exclusives from quality studious than Microsoft. This, coupled with their present board's reluctance to sink more money into the Xbox brand may prove to be extremely problematic. They may not be able to just throw money at third parties like they used too.

tldr; a bandaid solution to a deeper problem that may prove to be fundamentally unsolvable due to set in stone decisions.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 02-14-2014 at 16:58.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    They will more than likely wait about 2 years or so before dropping the price and when they do, that is when you can expect an Xbox One without the kinect. A new question comes up and that is, will Sony fight back with that and always be a step ahead of the competition?

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    They will more than likely wait about 2 years or so before dropping the price and when they do, that is when you can expect an Xbox One without the kinect. A new question comes up and that is, will Sony fight back with that and always be a step ahead of the competition?
    By 2 years? Just to match with the PS4's current price? I don't think that's enough.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Ms will not dish the kinect, they will swallow the loss and lower the price with kinect still included. Or a total re haul of the OS so the kinect will not be an integral part of it, then they might drop it. None of this is happening anything time soon tho, titanfall will move consoles (i hope), after that who knows what they'll do next

Sony will lower the price of current 500GB models by 30-50 dollars to introduce a 1tb model for 400 dollars

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Cboat covers zbutt with the mandatory ''depending on May numbers'' Basically, if they do it he's right, if they don't he falls back on numbers being ''ok'' with MS thus not being wrong. He sure has a lot of those ''inside'' info where his ass is somewhat protected from being completely off track. Never a CLEAR prediction. Even Pachter is more to the point with his!

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Thread Information