Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim

The Order: 1886 - 16:9 1080p vs 2.40:1 1920 x 800 Video and Screenshot Comparison

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/...-count-vs-art/

The Order: 1886 16:9 1080p vs 2.40:1 1920800 Video and Screenshot Comparison: Pixel Count vs Art

The reveal that The Order: 1886 will most probably be rendered in 1920800 resolution at a 2.40:1 aspect ratio seem to have bunched quite a few sets of underwear, with people rioting because the game is unlikely to touch the “magical” 1080p, and because of the black bands that many see as a waste of screen estate.

First of all, let’s get a misconception out of the way. Many read “800p” and think that the resolution is lower than the “900p” that lately seems to be very popular between developers. That’s untrue, because 1920800 renders 1,536,000 pixels. 900p is 1440900 and renders 1.296,000 pixels.

That said, Ready at Dawn specified that the panoramic 2.40:1 aspect ratio comes due to the artistic vision for the game, and it isn’t a matter of performance. The reason why that aspect ratio is often used in films is because it offers more room for detail on the horizontal plane, that tends to be a lot more relevant than the vertical plane for the sake of storytelling and spatial awareness.

But how would The Order: 1886 look if it was rendered in 16:9? We ran a comparison to give you a clearer idea of what that means, and let you take your pick. Finding a clear cut solution that works for everyone is impossible, as this kind of choice is strongly colored by personal taste, but seeing both options side by side may help you decide what your pick would be.

Let’s start with screenshots. Of course you can click on each in order to open a full resolution version:

There's also a video comparison at the bottom of the webpage.
    Last edited by Serinous; 02-16-2014 at 13:43.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    I don't even know why anyone would be in uproar over this :/

Average Joe internet is quite unintelligent in would seem.

I set my standard at 1080p30. as RaD are keeping the same horizontal resolution, there will be no difference to 1080p....

EDIT:
    Those 1080p pics aren't true to the game. they seem to be cropping the 1920x800 image to fit the 16:9 ratio of 1080p.

^one of my favourites of last gen. It's artistic choice is clear, and it suffered nothing for it. if anything, the border made the game better.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 02-16-2014 at 14:04.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

3. Likes mynd likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    HORRIBLE comparison. They literally just stretched out the image and blew it up to 1080p. That's not how aspect ratios work. If the game was design for 16:9 it will have the field of view and camera adjusted

This is a better comparison
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

5. Likes mynd likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I uhh dont get this...at all.

PSU Live Streamer
    this would be the better article to read

There has been lots of controversy around what resolution The Order will run at on the PS4. We are here to day to set all of that in place and put the facts in order. Yes the game has been confirmed by many news outlets that the game will run in 1080p, but many people are still confused on how when the game has also been confirmed to run at a a display ratio of 1920x800.There are two explanations to explain why The Order is 1080p, versus 800p and I will use two examples to explain why. A simplistic example and a more in-depth explanation using facts about resolution and aspect ratios themselves. I will also use Forza 5 and Ryse as examples to help carry the points across.
    In-Depth Explanation:

Ryse runs at a resolution of 1600x900 (which maintains an HDTV's aspect ratio of 1.78:1 - or 16:9). The Order: 1886 will be presented at 1920x800 (which is the CINEMATIC aspect ratio of 2.40:1). At this aspect ratio, you would need a screen resolution of 2592x1080 to avoid the black bars.
    Simplistic Explanation:

The game renders an image of 1920x1080, just 280 horizontal lines are black. For comparisons sake, lets use Forza 5, a full 1080p game. Now if were to tape two black rectangles at the top and botton of our TV screens, you would now be seeing Forza 5 in 1920x800. The picture left displayed is still a 1080p image, the only difference is now only 800 horizontal lines of pixels are visible. Resolution is measured in pixel density, and The Order may have a display ratio of 1920x800, but keeps the same pixel density as a 1920x1080 resolution.
    Furthermore, what The Order is doing, isn't much different than most Blu-Ray movies. When you watch a 1080p movie, nine out of ten times the movie is in widescreen. Which is the cinematic aspect ratio we talked about before. 2.40:1. The Order will be displaying the same as any 1080p widescreen Blu-Ray movie would.
    Reason:

It has also been stated by the developers, and more importantly the founder of ReadyAtDawn that The Order was chosen to run this way to include 4xMSAA. Also quoted by Andrea Pessino, "4xMSAA which looks spectacular! x800 with AA looks MUCH better than x1080 without" and "x800 with 4xMSAA needs more bandwidth than x1080 would, so 1080 no MS would be cheaper." Also note Andrea confirmed that the game will run at a frame rate of 30fps.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I think I'm warming up to the black bars.

Looks very cinematic.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    This is Ready At Dawn's first game in the studios history that they are developing their own game based off their own intellectual properties. Their previous games are PSP versions of Daxter, God of War, Okami on Wii & a God of War Origins set which was remaster on Ps3. I'm rooting for them & this game. If it lives up to hype I'll buy it.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonViking View Post
    This is Ready At Dawn's first game in the studios history that they are developing their own game based off their own intellectual properties. Their previous games are PSP versions of Daxter, God of War, Okami on Wii & a God of War Origins set which was remaster on Ps3. I'm rooting for them & this game. If it lives up to hype I'll buy it.
    yeh should be interesting.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    HORRIBLE comparison. They literally just stretched out the image and blew it up to 1080p. That's not how aspect ratios work. If the game was design for 16:9 it will have the field of view and camera adjusted

This is a better comparison
    They didn't stretch it.

What they did was to simply crop the 2.40:1 shots (cutting off parts on the left and right) to fit them in a 16:9 frame.
    Last edited by Wrath; 02-17-2014 at 07:53.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    They didn't stretch it.

What they did was to simply crop the 2.40:1 shots (cutting off parts on the left and right) to fit them in a 16:9 frame.
    Uh, which isnt 1080p.
    Its just 800p at 16:9

So yes, they just stretched it, they took an 1920x800 and turned it to 1422x800...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    gimmie the black bars...its the developers vision for their game...as with movies, they should be seen as the director intended them to be seen...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Uh, which isnt 1080p.
    Its just 800p at 16:9

So yes, they just stretched it, they took an 1920x800 and turned it to 1422x800...
    I stand corrected.
    Last edited by Wrath; 02-17-2014 at 09:10.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I stand corrected.
    No you don't, you are right here.

The pixels in the center of the screen don't suddenly drop off because they cover the top and bottom with a black bar. The 1080p image quality still remains in the center of the screen. Not sure what Mynd is talkin about

Sonata Dusk
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    No you don't, you are right here.

The pixels in the center of the screen don't suddenly drop off because they cover the top and bottom with a black bar. The 1080p image quality still remains in the center of the screen. Not sure what Mynd is talkin about
    We're discussing the black bars here, not the center of the screen. That's irrelevant to the discussion, really.

1920*1080 = 2,073,600
    1920*800 = 1,536,000

There's physically less detail on display per frame. It's not a full 1080p image, which is the entire point here.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    We're discussing the black bars here, not the center of the screen. That's irrelevant to the discussion, really.

1920*1080 = 2,073,600
    1920*800 = 1,536,000

There's physically less detail on display per frame. It's not a full 1080p image, which is the entire point here.
    Uh what?

Resolution is pixel density. 1080p has more pixels than 800p. The fact that a portion of the screen is taken away doesn't take away from the fact that the portion that does show is still a 1080p quality image. Small or not. Mynd is saying it's a stretched image, which its not. It's a 1080p image with black tape covering the top and bottom of your screen.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Uh what?

Resolution is pixel density. 1080p has more pixels than 800p. The fact that a portion of the screen is taken away doesn't take away from the fact that the portion that does show is still a 1080p quality image. Small or not. Mynd is saying it's a stretched image, which its not. It's a 1080p image with black tape covering the top and bottom of your screen.
    We aren't talking about the original image, we are talking about the 16:9 image these guys "made", by cutting of the side of the image and the top and the bottom.

1080p image 2.4:1

There "version" of 16:9

Pretty bloody obvious they have magnified the image.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-18-2014 at 19:03.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    We aren't talking about the original image, we are talking about the 16:9 image these guys "made", by cutting of the side of the image and the top and the bottom.
    Yea I get that. But don't go referring to an image as being stretched when thats not the case.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Yea I get that. But don't go referring to an image as being stretched when thats not the case.
    "upscaled" magnified stretch what ever you want to call it, yes its in perfect ratio but taking a doctored 16:9 image by blowing up a 1422x800p;

Look original image:1920x1080p

There version:

1422x800 upscaled to 1920x1080p

Pointless.

PSU Live Streamer
    Guess I'm not seeing what you are seeing then. Just because the OPs article went out of their way to 'doctor up' a 16:9 ratio version of those screens, doesn't mean thats actually how the game is being outputted. Those 16:9 screenshots were stretched. The game's image is not.

This is a 1080p game with a 2.40:1 aspect ratio due to top and bottom image cover. No stretch, no upscale.

I think you guys are focusing too much on the 16:9 image that the news site made. Stop being concerned with their comparison. It's the 2.40:1 image that we'll be seeing on screen.

Sonata Dusk
    It's not true 1920x1080 if 25% of the pixels aren't rendering anything.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Guess I'm not seeing what you are seeing then. Just because the OPs article went out of their way to 'doctor up' a 16:9 ratio version of those screens, doesn't mean thats actually how the game is being outputted. Those 16:9 screenshots were stretched. The game's image is not.
    Uhh, I never said the game image was, I was referring to the article itself being pointless.
    This is a 1080p game with a 2.40:1 aspect ratio due to top and bottom image cover. No stretch, no upscale.

I think you guys are focusing too much on the 16:9 image that the news site made. Stop being concerned with their comparison. It's the 2.40:1 image that we'll be seeing on screen.
    Uhh, thats what we were talking about, and thats what this article is about.
    If you want to discuss the actual game image, there are threads for that is there not?
    No one ever said the game image was stretched or anything, it was in reference to what this pointless article did.

PSU Live Streamer
    My mistake then. Reading through it appeared to me you guys were claiming the dev team was stretching their game image.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

1920*1080 = 2,073,600
    1920*800 = 1,536,000

There are less pixels per frame, not detail. In fact you could argue the opposite, that from the processing time saved from the missing pixels can increase detail in your textures/objects
    Yeah but no one is claiming its 1080p though.
    I wonder when a nuclear warhead goes off, does the frame rate of real life drop?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    so you consider blu-ray movies to be less than 1080p if they are filmed in a wider aspect ratio than 16:9??
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Sonata Dusk
    There are less pixels per frame, not detail. In fact you could argue the opposite, that from the processing time saved from the missing pixels can increase detail in your textures/objects.
    Which is entirely besides the point. We're discussing pixels, not hypothetical 'What ifs'. 1920x800 certainly has less detail than 1920x1080 under otherwise similar conditions. Besides, I said less physical detail.

Yeah but no one is claiming its 1080p though.
    No one needs to for the conversation to arrive at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    so you consider blu-ray movies to be less than 1080p if they are filmed in a wider aspect ratio than 16:9??
    *shrug* 1080p is defined as having a progressive scan of 1080 vertical lines. So no.

Thread Information