Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 213
  1. #26
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,024
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    86,218 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    It is 1080p, even your TV will register it as 1080p due to the width being 1920.
    Pixels are larger on a 800p display vs 1080p.
    The pixels on the game are 1080p size.
    He's saying it's running at 1920x800, not 1920x1080. That's 25% less pixels to render.

  2. #27
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,488
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    47,399 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    He's saying it's running at 1920x800, not 1920x1080. That's 25% less pixels to render.
    Less pixels is the only thing though, it still is actually 1080p in terms of everything else. eg rendering.

  3. #28
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    He's saying it's running at 1920x800, not 1920x1080. That's 25% less pixels to render.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Less pixels is the only thing though, it still is actually 1080p in terms of everything else. eg rendering.
    not to mention...the devs say that 1920x800 with their AA solution (4xMSAA) is actually more expensive on the rendering budget then 1920x1080 with no AA would be...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  4. Likes mistercrow likes this post
  5. #29
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,412
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    209,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Less pixels is the only thing though, it still is actually 1080p in terms of everything else. eg rendering.
    Well, no, rendering is less, everything is less, you don't render black bars, you just clear your frame-buffer to black. It maybe an artiscitc choice, but you certainly do render less than a 1080p version of it.
    But then again, it maybe because they are already rendering more to get the image quality they want, its not a refection of power, more of the process they are using.
    Cant wait to see the results.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-18-2014 at 00:03.

  6. Likes Nerevar likes this post
  7. #30
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,024
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    86,218 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Less pixels is the only thing though, it still is actually 1080p in terms of everything else. eg rendering.
    It's not rendering anything where the black bars are, which is the point of the matter.

  8. #31
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well, no, rendering is less, everything is less, you don't render black bars, you just clear your frame-buffer to black. It maybe an artiscitc choice, but you certainly do render less than a 1080p version of it.
    But then again, it maybe because they are already rendering more to get the image quality they want, its not a refection of power, more of the process they are using.
    Cant wait to see the reuslts.
    they (devs) say that what they are rendering (w/4xMSAA) is more expensive then if they went full 1920x1080 without AA...this game is going to be CLEAN when it comes to IQ
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  9. #32
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,488
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    47,399 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well, no, rendering is less, everything is less, you don't render black bars, you just clear your frame-buffer to black. It maybe an artiscitc choice, but you certainly do render less than a 1080p version of it.
    But then again, it maybe because they are already rendering more to get the image quality they want, its not a refection of power, more of the process they are using.
    Cant wait to see the reuslts.
    It has to render as a 1080p image cause of the width, which is why your TV will register it as 1080p.
    If it did not render as 1080p then your TV would not. Correct?

    The image is still a 1080p image cause of the pixels.

  10. #33
    Elite Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,342
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    65,531 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Then you might as well put asterisks by just about every game for framerate, shouldn't you? As far as I know, TR on X1 is the only game that switches resolution during the game.
    right, as far as we know. No telling if other games do it too, but my point is that in order to have a level comparison you have to include all games. it makes no sense to put upcoming games on the list and not include ones that are already released.

  11. #34
    Superior Member
    Malt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Darkest Wales
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    561
    Rep Power
    11
    Points
    8,198 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Max : curse of the brotherhood 1080p 60fps
    Halo spartan assault 1080p 60fps
    zoo tycoon 1080p fps?
    crimson dragon 1080P fps?
    powerstar golf 1080P fps?
    Project spark 1080p
    Kinect sports 1080p
    lol


  12. Likes mistercrow, Fijiandoce, Serinous likes this post
  13. #35
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,024
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    86,218 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    It has to render as a 1080p image cause of the width, which is why your TV will register it as 1080p.
    If it did not render as 1080p then your TV would not. Correct?

    The image is still a 1080p image cause of the pixels.
    You're not understanding. The GPU isn't doing anything for the areas the black bars exist. It doesn't have to render any scene or effect assets there. This makes the whole screen easier to render and present because less processing is required. As I said, it's effectively processing 25% less pixels than the full 1920x1080 image.

  14. Likes mynd likes this post
  15. #36
    Superior Member
    Malt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Darkest Wales
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    561
    Rep Power
    11
    Points
    8,198 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    You're not understanding. The GPU isn't doing anything for the areas the black bars exist. It doesn't have to render any scene or effect assets there. This makes the whole screen easier to render and present because less processing is required. As I said, it's effectively processing 25% less pixels than the full 1920x1080 image.
    Yes, but your screen with still be outputting what's there in a native resolution with no upscaling. You are both correct.. lol

  16. #37
    Finally You Are Free
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,024
    Rep Power
    137
    Points
    86,218 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Yes, but your screen with still be outputting what's there in a native resolution with no upscaling. You are both correct.. lol
    He's not wrong, just missing the point. The final rendered image is 1080p, but the actual internal rendering is only 1920x800. That's less for the system to process (AA solutions aside), which pertains to the subject of the thread.

  17. Likes mynd likes this post
  18. #38
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,703
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    74,140 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    right, as far as we know. No telling if other games do it too, but my point is that in order to have a level comparison you have to include all games. it makes no sense to put upcoming games on the list and not include ones that are already released.
    If no other games have been reported to switch resolutions there is no need to start guessing that they might. If they had, it would have been reported on. I said "as far as I know" because I wasn't sure if that had happened.

    The list is not comprehensive, but it is representative.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  19. #39
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,412
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    209,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well you could render a 1080p image of a blank screen and actually have no GPU work at all.
    All you do is clear the framebuffer location to the same value. i.e. all memory locations are cleared to #000000ff (black).
    It's generally done without the use of the shaders eg...
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

  20. #40
    Valar Morghulis
    Serinous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Posts
    10,879
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    21,767 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    right, as far as we know. No telling if other games do it too, but my point is that in order to have a level comparison you have to include all games. it makes no sense to put upcoming games on the list and not include ones that are already released.
    Why don't you do us the honor and compile the list? Won't change a thing.




  21. #41
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,648
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    283,367 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    They had a different goal in mind. They want to get maximum units sold so they spread their brand into other areas of media, cementing themselves with a broad foundation. Microsoft wants a hold of the living room. The issue is that it came at a cost to the core audience that got the Xbox this far, who are also still it's main support.
    Yeah, i understand that.

    I don't know how one would go into a boardroom and conveniently forget who it is you're gunna compete against. That's my point. They're making a games console, so too is Sony....I don't get how they missed the obvious fact that they are (effectively) conceding to them in that area.

    Sony attempted the same last gen, but they kept MS in mind and the price suffered. MS should have known better.
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I must be in the minority... Throughout the 360 and PS3, I never considered not playing games based on resolution or fps. The same goes with this round. If the game looks good, and it's something I'm interested in, res/fps aren't really taken into account.

    Killer Instinct, for example, I love the freakin' game to death; even though I play really poorly compared to others, like Lethal. I've yet to say, damn I can't believe I bought this game 'cause it's only 720p.
    My preference does not mean im gunna look down my nose! I never implied that at all. don't put words in my mouth.

    My point was, PS3 to 360 was ~4-8 FPS difference at the same res at worst (generally). Xb1 is either same res OR same FPS currently. Quite a big gap from the one seen last gen. That is all. nothing written between the lines etc. etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Max : curse of the brotherhood 1080p 60fps
    Halo spartan assault 1080p 60fps
    zoo tycoon 1080p fps?
    crimson dragon 1080P fps?
    powerstar golf 1080P fps?
    Project spark 1080p
    Kinect sports 1080p


    That list is pathetic. Halo spartan assault? thats a mobile game, it runs on phones!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  22. #42
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,412
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    209,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post



    That list is pathetic. Halo spartan assault? thats a mobile game, it runs on phones!
    So is Flower. Trine 2 isn't exactly taxing either.

    The PS4 list would have looked a little sparse on triple A games if they hadn't included those I guess. And a fair chunk of those XBO games are actually out.

  23. #43
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,405
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,440 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Kinda funny that they included Flower and Trine 2 lol. Otherwise, nice list. Just completes my thoughts on being a multiconsole owner. I'll have 20 of those games when they are all available.
    Why wouldn't they if the list includes all available games and they meet the criteria?

  24. #44
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,648
    Rep Power
    91
    Points
    283,367 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    So is Flower. Trine 2 isn't exactly taxing either.

    The PS4 list would have looked a little sparse on triple A games if they hadn't included those I guess.
    Understandable, but a phone game?? that has no place on the list.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  25. #45
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,412
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    209,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Why wouldn't they if the list includes all available games and they meet the criteria?
    Max : curse of the brotherhood 1080p 60fps
    Halo spartan assault 1080p 60fps
    zoo tycoon 1080p fps?
    crimson dragon 1080P fps?
    powerstar golf 1080P fps?
    Kinect sports 1080p (demo)

    Are all available AFAIK. They kinda muddied the waters adding those games (Flower etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Understandable, but a phone game?? that has no place on the list.
    I believe it was updated with new modes etc..meh tastic.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-18-2014 at 01:43.

  26. #46
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,133
    Rep Power
    246
    Points
    149,395 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Yeah, i understand that.

    I don't know how one would go into a boardroom and conveniently forget who it is you're gunna compete against. That's my point. They're making a games console, so too is Sony....I don't get how they missed the obvious fact that they are (effectively) conceding to them in that area.

    Sony attempted the same last gen, but they kept MS in mind and the price suffered. MS should have known better.

    My preference does not mean im gunna look down my nose! I never implied that at all. don't put words in my mouth.

    My point was, PS3 to 360 was ~4-8 FPS difference at the same res at worst (generally). Xb1 is either same res OR same FPS currently. Quite a big gap from the one seen last gen. That is all. nothing written between the lines etc. etc.




    That list is pathetic. Halo spartan assault? thats a mobile game, it runs on phones!
    I didn't mean it like that at all Fiji. No need to puff out the chest. Maybe PM me next time. My comment is referring to most of the users here that participate prefer x resolution and x fps. I was implying that I am in the minority of gamers that don't have preference. Didn't mean anything about your own preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Why wouldn't they if the list includes all available games and they meet the criteria?
    Well, they aren't PS4 exclusives... that's all I thought was funny as they are being listed as such. Nothing more.




  27. #47
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,488
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    47,399 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    So is Flower. Trine 2 isn't exactly taxing either.
    I agree, those shouldn't be on the list.

  28. #48
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,405
    Rep Power
    101
    Points
    29,440 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    I agree, those shouldn't be on the list.
    Why not?

    If they meet the criteria, why shouldn't they be on the list?

  29. #49
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,412
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    209,047 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Why not?

    If they meet the criteria, why shouldn't they be on the list?
    Well thats fine, but you need to add all of them, things like Contrast, Octodad etc etc, all those PSN/XBLA type games, which dont really push either system, you don't just select a few on Sony's side.
    If you going to add flower, why not add Lococyle at 1080p/60? Or Crimson Dragon at 1080p/60?
    Last edited by mynd; 02-18-2014 at 02:26.

  30. #50
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,270
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    47,349 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Whether you add them or you don't, it detracts from the fact that it doesn't really do favours for the XB1 despite FM5 - which arguably had to work to even get that.
    Be Together - Not the same.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.