Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Irrational Games as we know it closing down; KL starting new 15 man team

When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It’s been the defining project of my professional life.
    Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What’s next?
    Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.
    I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.
    Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*
    What’s next?
    In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.
    When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.
    Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.
    We do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.
    -Ken Levine
    @iglevine

*If you’re a 3rd party interested in interviewing some of the best game developers in the world, please contact chris.bigelow@2k.com
    http://www.irrationalgames.com/

This is crazy. No more Bioshock I guess...at least not under KL's guidance.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    This is becoming more and more common, the Indie scene, or well, small teams that make DD type games seem to be what a lot of devs are more interested in.

Can't say I blame them, more creative control and probably less pressure in terms of reaching exact targets of release and the like. I imagine is more enjoyable.
    Last edited by darky89; 02-18-2014 at 22:25.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    This is alarming and sad.

Is it just due to Ken's vision though or is it because they're not profitable etc?

EDIT:

It took a GaF visit to find out about this, and I was about to post a thread and where I saw this.

Why aren't we discussing THIS more!?!?!?! Dat console warz? SMH

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Superior Member
    This is the second big game developer to commit to digital distribution of games. Looks like we will be dragged kicking and screaming away from disc based games.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/...sc-based-games

Former Gears of War designer Cliff Bleszinski has claimed he will never make another disc-based game, and asserted that the current industry model relying on Game Informer cover reveals and E3 announcements is dead.

Speaking to Gamasutra the ex-Epic design lead explained he'd been inspired by games like Rust to try and make a PC game that would allow him to have a closer relationship with players, without publishers and the media acting as middle men.

"The whole 'old guard,' where you get a Game Informer cover and an E3 reveal, is dead," he said. "I'll never make another disc-based game for the rest of my career, and [at E3] they're trying to woo buyers from Target and Walmart?"

Bleszinski goes on to explain what he likes about Rust in particular, explaining that it's a perfect example of the Minecraft model that should be fostering more creative enterprises on PC.

"It's not about the 'new user experience'; in these games the new user experience is utter s***, and it's okay," he said. "There are two lessons people have not learned from Minecraft: Get the game out there and build it. Some kid will put out a video. Players will teach each other. You don't need the 'press A to jump'."

Also in the interview Bleszinski reflected upon his tenure working on Gears of War, saying, "It didn’t wind up what I’d hoped; I’d pitched it as ‘Band of Brothers with monsters’ — you know Band of Brothers is well-done and emotional, telling the story of the Greatest Generation and what they did in the war. Yet somehow we landed on ‘Predator’… the characters being all ‘buff and manly’, I’d never planned on that.

“I don’t want Gears to be my defining legacy. At the end of the day, it’s known for being a fun, fantastic franchise. But I’d like to think there’s more to my creativity than that.”

Bleszinski recently shared his thoughts on Microsoft's acquisition of Gears of War, explaining that he would not be involved in future development in any way.
    This is one way to get around doing away with used game sales. Not only that, they are they attempting to cut out the retailers directly.

Also, they both talk about having a more direct relationship with the gamers. This sounds like the beginning of a new trend.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Not a fan of Bioshock's Infinite so I'm fine with. The issue I do have with Ken is, he is pretty much all narrative, designing another game that is narrative driven, sounds good in theory, but it has to be fun, and frankly the core gameplay of Infinite isn't.
    Please don't forget the gameplay Ken.

The other issue is delivery, games become more complex, they get bigger, and your deliver method cant relie on internet, its just to slow.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-19-2014 at 00:21.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover

Irrational Games closing down...

A letter from Ken Levine:

When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.

We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. It’s been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: What’s next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job I’ve ever had. While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. I’ll be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. There’s no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and we’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*

What’s next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, they’re the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2K’s passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If we’re lucky, we’ll build something half as memorable as BioShock.

We will do our best to update an FAQ in this space as questions come in.

-Ken Levine
    @iglevine

*If you’re a 3rd party interested in interviewing some of the best game developers in the world, please contact chris.bigelow@2k.com

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    I blame the Gamers, When a series like Bioshock doesn't receive the same ratings or popularity of A series like Uncharted then there is something wrong, when they bash Bioshock 2 and call it mediocre for not being like the first ( which in fact is very stupid because it was improved gameplay wise ) While Uncharted ratings go over the roof for being exactly the same game repeated 3 times, or a series like COD gets Millions in revenue while Bioshock:Infinite doesn't get the expected sales numbers, then something is terribly wrong with the gaming industry.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    I blame the Gamers, When a series like Bioshock doesn't receive the same ratings or popularity of A series like Uncharted then there is something wrong, when they bash Bioshock 2 and call it mediocre for not being like the first ( which in fact is very stupid because it was improved gameplay wise ) While Uncharted ratings go over the roof for being exactly the same game repeated 3 times, or a series like COD gets Millions in revenue while Bioshock:Infinite doesn't get the expected sales numbers, then something is terribly wrong with the gaming industry.
    1) Bioshock 2 isn't their game.
    2) Ken Levine isn't closing the studio down due to financial reasons.
    3) Uncharted 2 was a massive improvement over 1. Bioshock 1 was received much better than Uncharted 1.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

9. Likes Admartian , sainraja likes this post
    Apprentice
    Here's a thought don't know if it's been mentioned

Irrational games closed down .....A day later official playstation magazine UK state a well renowned series will be making a move onto playstation (could this be as an exclusive.???)

Yeah I know it's already on the ps3 but debut exclusively on ps4 would be a real coup iMO
    P S N user name birdyboy . . . THE LAST OF US WOW! !!

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Next time, read the bloody article before you post.

12. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Why do I have the feeling he will be making pos ios games.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    This is something i expect to see quite a bit of. EA, Activision, Ubisoft and other big publishers have a business structure im surprised made it through the recession if im being perfectly honest.

Sad to see irrational closing down nonetheless.

however, i expect some great ideas from the smaller studio as a result
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    1) Bioshock 2 isn't their game.
    2) Ken Levine isn't closing the studio down due to financial reasons.
    3) Uncharted 2 was a massive improvement over 1. Bioshock 1 was received much better than Uncharted 1.
    1- Doesn't really matter, it's still a sequel in the series that they had to build on.
    2-Of course the are not bankrupt or anything, but surely the sales number haven't met their expectations.And i'm sure a game like Infinite cost them a $#@! load of money.
    3-Mmmm not sure how Uncharted 2 was a " Massive " improvement over 1. And yes Bioshock 1 was well received over U1 because U hasn't become well know at the time, But over all Uncharted is rated way highly than Bioshock. In Bioshock you could actually see improvements not only story-wise but also in Gamplay,mechanics,ai,environments,..etc. Uncharted being as i said before same game each time with different story,Run-Cover-shoot & repeat. no WOW gameplay here only good story & acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Next time, read the bloody article before you post.
    Not sure what are you even doing, mind your own business.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Extreme Poster
    this is actually great news. i like take-two, i like this guy...did not know it started out as a 3 man team...wow. this is probably a good idea. i totally understand what he means and honestly i would not mind a smaller development from this guy. looking forward to what he has to show.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    1- Doesn't really matter, it's still a sequel in the series that they had to build on.
    2-Of course the are not bankrupt or anything, but surely the sales number haven't met their expectations.And i'm sure a game like Infinite cost them a $#@! load of money.
    3-Mmmm not sure how Uncharted 2 was a " Massive " improvement over 1. And yes Bioshock 1 was well received over U1 because U hasn't become well know at the time, But over all Uncharted is rated way highly than Bioshock. In Bioshock you could actually see improvements not only story-wise but also in Gamplay,mechanics,ai,environments,..etc. Uncharted being as i said before same game each time with different story,Run-Cover-shoot & repeat. no WOW gameplay here only good story & acting.

Not sure what are you even doing, mind your own business.
    All of the Bioshock games did well, Infinite did better than 2K expected. Again, this is a creative decision, not financial.

2 was a big improvement, the mechanics, combat, AI, set pieces, level design, story, narrative flow were way better. I did not care for the first one. Also, Uncharted isn't rated way more highly. However, Uncharted 3 was criticized for not being a bigger leap, and considered worse than 2 by a lot.

Extreme Poster
    i'm positive this is a creative decision but i think it's also a potential financial decision as well. because of the potential risk of being too big because then you are bound to lose big too. if they felt that it wasn't a financial risk, they would never do this...no sane person would.

it's every developer's dream to become a big company...but there are various challenges that come with it too. not to mention the stress to lead a company like that. also difficult to have control over a big company.

i think he might also want more control...makes sense because he did start out that way, he must also prefer that.

i'm positive he had several reasons for it.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    it's every developer's dream to become a big company...but there are various challenges that come with it too. not to mention the stress to lead a company like that. also difficult to have control over a big company.
    I doubt that. A lot of veterans or going for smaller teams, it's a lot easier to focus on your craft.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I doubt that. A lot of veterans or going for smaller teams, it's a lot easier to focus on your craft.
    of course it is, but also you have less risk of failing because you have control, because it is less costly to make games that way, even if they take longer. those games might just be smaller in the sense that they may not have additional DLC support or they may not have the same narrative (not storyline, i mean like voice acting, mo cap etc.).

smaller teams means smaller risks and more control, thus more efficiency and with a good team, it can mean a very tight game (less errors, more steamlined, more flowing).

PSU Live Streamer
    I skipped over Bioshock 1+2 unfortunately. Picked up Bioshock Infinite, and feel like I gotta be the only person in the world that didn't like that game. OMG that game was a long boring slog of a playthrough.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

22. Likes mynd likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    i agree. i was expecting too much from it. going to play it through though. still need to play TLOU.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    of course it is, but also you have less risk of failing because you have control, because it is less costly to make games that way, even if they take longer. those games might just be smaller in the sense that they may not have additional DLC support or they may not have the same narrative (not storyline, i mean like voice acting, mo cap etc.).

smaller teams means smaller risks and more control, thus more efficiency and with a good team, it can mean a very tight game (less errors, more steamlined, more flowing).
    The flat business structure is telling for irrational games. This is a very modern business structure that you see in companies like Facebook and Google (latter being a very good case study) for example.

Why this is more beneficial is that it provides a ground up approach to development, ideas come from every area of the business. this then creates the companies culture (again, google is a good case study).

This shift should see a relative increase the companies productivity and efficiency.

Interestingly, this puts them more in-line with making Mobile games and apps. High work ethic, high productivity, continued flow of ideas, low maintenance.
    However, Google is no small company and hopefully, this is the long term goal for this shift in direction. It is a much better business structure for the games industry in particular.

Take-Two actually come across as one of the more forward thinking publishers. Hopefully it all pans out as it could be the future

p.s- early morning, apologise if something is illegible.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Extreme Poster
    yes, i agree, it is definitely a better way to move forward. especially if you want to continue to compete in this industry. it seems like the bloated budgets will stay with big publishers and the rest should follow suit and the gaming industry should be more sustainable and also less costly to everyone.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    yes, i agree, it is definitely a better way to move forward. especially if you want to continue to survive in this industry. it seems like the bloated budgets will stay with big publishers and the rest should follow suit and the gaming industry should be more sustainable and also less costly to everyone.
    i would put it that way, as opposed to the other way
    especially for independent Third parties.

Coincidentally, BBC currently have a report on TV regarding similar happenings in the Film industry lol- Horizontal hierarchy vs top down hierarchy.

It seems like the most logical step for game companies. Interestingly, Sony seems to have done something similar amongst its first party devs.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Sage
    I just downloaded infinite through plus a couple of days ago. Must have been the final straw, sorry guys.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    (Threads merged to Ghost's earlier post. Carry on.)

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Thread Information