Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I'd have to install an Xbox one first. Which ain't happening anytime in the foreseeable (or distant) future.
    No need. Apparently, my coworker was correct.

http://segmentnext.com/2014/02/17/xb...ed-new-update/

Xbox One Voice Commands Affected by New Update

Xbox One has always been blatantly advertised by Microsoft as being used with Kinect voice commands for the ease of use. These voice commands worked fine for everyone until the recently released update for the console, it seems that the new update has created some sort of issue, as the commands are not working properly for a lot of users now.
    A whole new thread appeared on Reddit, where all the users of Xbox One complained about the voice commands, which confirms that it wasn’t just a single incident; it has affected a lot of owners of the console.
    The solution to issue was also discussed, and right now the only way to solve the problem is to fully reboot the Xbox One. This is not great solution in any way, as the problem re-surface after some time.
    The most affected voice command seems to be “Xbox, Turn Off” but it appears that even “Xbox On” is not working for some users:
    The user wrote on Reddit:
    Before the latest Xbox One update I was able to consistently use the “Xbox, Turn Off” command successfully…sometimes even from across the house.
    After the update, the Xbox will prompt me for the usual “yes” or “no” after the command is spoken only this time the Xbox does not respond to either “yes” or “no”. It will sometimes work after a hard reset, but it is more consistently not working and definitely not anywhere near as good as it used to be.
    This issue is getting a lot of attention in the forums right now. Let’s hope that Microsoft addresses this issue with their next update which is scheduled to release in March to set up the Xbox One for the biggest release of this year “Titanfall”.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Overseer
    hmm, that might not be related though. it should either work or not work. not half-way.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Yeah thats sounds like its hearing them ok, just not listening to the subsequent confirmation.

Bloody bugs.

Superior Member

Ofc, 8 percent makes difference.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    Time will tell. If we start seeing some 1080p games at the same frame rate as the PS4 version of whatever game, then we will know. If we are still getting 720p bs then obviously it was all in vain. I gotta think it will help though, as will more time with the system and revised SDKs.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No need. Apparently, my coworker was correct.

http://segmentnext.com/2014/02/17/xb...ed-new-update/

Xbox One Voice Commands Affected by New Update

From a MS forum. The voice commands affected are only the turn off/on commands.

I just talked to customer support, they had me go to settings-power &startup and set the power mode to energy saving then turn off the Xbox one, wait a minute, turn it back on. Change the setting back to instant on and try 'Xbox turn off' again, this time it recognized both yes and no...

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    From a MS forum. The voice commands affected are only the turn off/on commands.

Ah....good that they have a work around. I'll pass this on to my coworker. Thanks.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Ah....good that they have a work around. I'll pass this on to my coworker. Thanks.

it didn't affect me, but it did seem to be a pretty widespread hiccup with that update ;(

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    Time will tell. If we start seeing some 1080p games at the same frame rate as the PS4 version of whatever game, then we will know. If we are still getting 720p bs then obviously it was all in vain. I gotta think it will help though, as will more time with the system and revised SDKs.
    yes it will. theoretically though, it can do 1080p with 60fps but the games won't look as detailed. so that's not going to happen unless the game is just not taking up much resources to begin with.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    yes it will. theoretically though, it can do 1080p with 60fps but the games won't look as detailed. so that's not going to happen unless the game is just not taking up much resources to begin with.

any game using a deferred renderer is going to struggle hitting 1080p...assuming the dev follows the conventional wisdom of trying to squeeze the whole framebuffer into the ESRAM...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Forum Overseer
    is it possible to reach it without using the ESRAM?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    is it possible to reach it without using the ESRAM?
    of course...but then youre at the mercy of the DDR3's bandwidth...

Forum Overseer
    understanding the purpose of RAM, would it be possible to achieve high level of graphics with 1080p and 60fps if the game was smaller? like a corridor shooter. because i suppose games with smaller maps would not require as much bandwidth.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post

any game using a deferred renderer is going to struggle hitting 1080p...assuming the dev follows the conventional wisdom of trying to squeeze the whole framebuffer into the ESRAM...
    And with most devs/engines heading to this direction or at least deferred elements, it will be interesting if the X1 has res parity this gen. Though this is of course barring any new developments or rendering techniques.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    understanding the purpose of RAM, would it be possible to achieve high level of graphics with 1080p and 60fps if the game was smaller? like a corridor shooter. because i suppose games with smaller maps would not require as much bandwidth.
    obviously 1080p/60fps is possible...Forza 5 shows us this...but it also shows us the corners that need to be cut to get there...prebaked lighting, pretty bad aliasing, texture filtering, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    And with most devs/engines heading to this direction or at least deferred elements, it will be interesting if the X1 has res parity this gen. Though this is of course barring any new developments or rendering techniques.
    and that is going to be the problem...because you dont need to fiddle around with any of this nonsense on the PS4 because of its truly unified memory architecture...so my guess is multiplatform games are always going to suffer...because its simply not practical for them to go bananas with the Xbone's architecture...
    Last edited by Metfanant; 02-21-2014 at 15:46.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    obviously 1080p/60fps is possible...Forza 5 shows us this...but it also shows us the corners that need to be cut to get there...prebaked lighting, pretty bad aliasing, texture filtering, etc...
    and although at this point, all signs point to that but of course things are going to get better moving forward.

so i'm trying to figure out how much of a problem 1080p is going to be ... or i should be saying the mere 32MBs of ESRAM.

at this time i'm thinking that while X1 will be able to deliver comparable graphics, it will struggle with either the frame rate or the resolution. and likely more visual features taken away for the certain few multiplats that will be pushing these very far (rockstar comes to mind).

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    and although at this point, all signs point to that but of course things are going to get better moving forward.

so i'm trying to figure out how much of a problem 1080p is going to be ... or i should be saying the mere 32MBs of ESRAM.

at this time i'm thinking that while X1 will be able to deliver comparable graphics, it will struggle with either the frame rate or the resolution. and likely more visual features taken away for the certain few multiplats that will be pushing these very far (rockstar comes to mind).
    its always going to be a balancing act...and admittedly a lot of the finer technical details go beyond my level of understanding as well..but at the end of the day to render games in 1080p on the Xbone youre going to need to jump through hoops to fit things in the memory properly...these hoops are completely non-existent on the PS4...

things like tiled resources and what not are supposed to help mitigate the issue but how much? we will see...i have a gut feeling that multiplats are going to always have a resolution gap because developers are going to feel that for the most part they can keep assets the same...drop the resolution to fit everything nicely inside the ESRAM, and that the upscaled image will look close enough to the PS4 version...

The Xbone's exclusives wont have this issue because they will be built from the ground up for the hardware...

frame rate discrepancies are going to arise more so IMO as the PS4 gets pushed harder...because the Xbone doesnt have the GPU grunt to keep up...

exclusives from the likes of Crytek are going to continue to look stunning on the Xbone...but even there, its a little telling that they chose a 900p native resolution over 1080p (and 30fps), but it worked for them because they were able to do a lot with AA that probably would have not been possible at 1080p...
    Last edited by Metfanant; 02-21-2014 at 16:06.

Forum Overseer
    oh right. i figured as much. but what are tiled resources again? what's the actual method of achieving results from this technique.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    oh right. i figured as much. but what are tiled resources again? what's the actual method of achieving results from this technique.
    somebody else can probably explain it much better than i can...the idea is making massive textures take up much less memory...

the technique is not really all that new though...its been around for awhile

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    I won't pretend that I am a tech savant.. but here is one simple explanation I found:

"Tiled Resources" allows for significant enhancement of in-game textures by making it possible to simultaneously access GPU and traditional RAM memoryand create a single large buffer where large textures can be stored. This technique was demonstrated with a model of Mars which displayed a 3 GB texture using just 16 MB of GPU memory. It will be exclusive to DX11.2 games, Xbox One and Windows 8.1

Forum Overseer
    that actually sounds pretty promising if they can get 3GB to fit 16MBs. though how much of that has to do with resolution and what the conditions of this demo were, would likely be where it may vary.

do we know that games so far haven't used this technique?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    that actually sounds pretty promising if they can get 3GB to fit 16MBs. though how much of that has to do with resolution and what the conditions of this demo were, would likely be where it may vary.

do we know that games so far haven't used this technique?

just word of mouth on my side.. apparently the way that MS is planning to use the technique hasn't been... but if you read other boards, a similar technique, although nowhere near as efficient or powerful as been around and in use for some time through OpenGL (streaming textures?)

Again, just what I have read... no way will I quote it as fact LOL

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Tiled resources AKA megatextures been around for years. Enemy territory quake wars uses it.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/95/3

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Tiled resources AKA megatextures been around for years. Enemy territory quake wars uses it.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/95/3

But from what I have read, MS's take on it is the first time that it has been a hardware driven feature in DirectX and not just a software trick.

Thread Information