Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Have they scaled the deaths of these Snake handlers

Sent by using my fingers. How else can you
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    i think God gave us brains for a reason. This guy simply wasn't using his in this case. Sad.
    Why is believing a god gave us all brains less ridiculous than believing a god gave him immunity against snake venom?
    Last edited by keefy; 02-22-2014 at 04:00.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Because this "GOD " that everyone talks off

Is a blanket of safety and love

Lies

Since no proof is in plain sight

Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Because this "GOD " that everyone talks off

Is a blanket of safety and love

Lies

Since no proof is in plain sight

Note: This isn't directed directly towards you, claud3, but rather the idea of the God/No God argument in general.

Arguments about whether or not God exists are pointless. Nobody is ever going to sway the other person and the argument will make no movement one way or the other.

There is zero proof he exists and there is zero proof he doesn't exist. If there was, it wouldn't be a debate about if he exists, it would be an argument about why he does/doesn't exist. It's why people who believe in God are described as just that, believers. Even among other Christian's they call themselves believers, not knowers.

The truth is, nobody, nowhere, knows that God doesn't exist just as nobody knows he does. For everything disbelievers have to say about why they don't think he does, believers have their own ideas. Every one of these arguments ends the same way as if they were discussing whether or not an ant once bit George Washington on the ear.

I always see or hear these debates going on and I can't help but think that it's a sure fire way of knowing who just really likes to argue. Because surely they realize that every time they have the debate, nobody wins (or nobody [read:them] loses).

5. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    If that were the case then no one would be changing their religious stance, which is statistically and anecdotally not the case at all. People, as a whole, are constantly reevaluating their beliefs and understandings.

Human beings are stubborn. In an argument or debate they'll rarely concede a point openly, even when they know they've been proven wrong or their opinions shaken with new-borne doubt. They'll deny it even to themselves, but perhaps only for a finite time. I believe that evidence and logic will eventually override emotional dependency and deceptive rationale. It may not work at first, or for everyone, but it does hold a greater encompassing influence.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

7. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Give it another 1,000 years and the belife in God will slowly die out.

I've never needed the safety net of religion, heaven or god. Makes me happy knowing when I die ill cease to ever exist or feel again.
    Last edited by mickice; 02-22-2014 at 09:02.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by ttech10 View Post
    Note: This isn't directed directly towards you, claud3, but rather the idea of the God/No God argument in general.

Arguments about whether or not God exists are pointless. Nobody is ever going to sway the other person and the argument will make no movement one way or the other.

There is zero proof he exists and there is zero proof he doesn't exist. If there was, it wouldn't be a debate about if he exists, it would be an argument about why he does/doesn't exist. It's why people who believe in God are described as just that, believers. Even among other Christian's they call themselves believers, not knowers.

The truth is, nobody, nowhere, knows that God doesn't exist just as nobody knows he does. For everything disbelievers have to say about why they don't think he does, believers have their own ideas. Every one of these arguments ends the same way as if they were discussing whether or not an ant once bit George Washington on the ear.

I always see or hear these debates going on and I can't help but think that it's a sure fire way of knowing who just really likes to argue. Because surely they realize that every time they have the debate, nobody wins (or nobody [read:them] loses).
    A lot of good points there man, personally I don't believe in god and I have some friends that do but we never discuss it because we respect that we each have the choice to believe in what we want.

10. Likes ttech10 likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Yes. For the exact reasons why ignoring gravity doesn't let you fly.
    Looking past the debate or argument that was about to begin, in my two cents you should NOT be a mod or you should be held accountable for this post right here. Regardless of what you or I believe is the truth, you just INSULTED every single member on this forum who believes or practices a religion.

When I get insulted, I don't debate or argue. It's not worth my time.

What is the point of even posting religious threads on this forum? Either a religion or religion in general is bashed or the believers or followers are bashed. It goes down the same road over and over again, thus it is not fruitful discussions.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 02-22-2014 at 22:45.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    What is the point of even posting religious threads on this forum? Either a religion or religion in general is bashed or the believers or followers are bashed. It goes down the same road over and over again, thus it is not fruitful discussions.
    His comment wasn't insulting to all people that believe in a god at all. Just those that believe it gives them preferential treatment.

Friendship is Carrots
    Looking past the debate or argument that was about to begin, in my two cents you should NOT be a mod or you should be held accountable for this post right here. Regardless of what you or I believe is the truth, you just INSULTED every single member on this forum who believes or practices a religion.

When I get insulted, I don't debate or argue. It's not worth my time.
    First, try to avoid double-posting when you can. Second, you're more than free to report staff members if you have an issue with their behavior.

Third, stop pulling out the 'offended victim' card for every little thing. It is extremely foolish to believe your abstract belief you've developed from stories is going to overrule reality. That has nothing to do with religion, that's just common sense. You wouldn't point a gun to your head and trust Jesus to stop the bullet, would you? No, of course not, because that's stupendously moronic.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Power Member
    Ridicule: The only thing god doesn't protect you from.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    First, try to avoid double-posting when you can.
    Okay, although there are no official rules against double posting.

Second, you're more than free to report staff members if you have an issue with their behavior.
    I thought about it and it's no use. There's too many against christianity and other religions on this forum for anything to be done about it.

Third, stop pulling out the 'offended victim' card for every little thing. It is extremely foolish to believe your abstract belief you've developed from stories is going to overrule reality. That has nothing to do with religion, that's just common sense. You wouldn't point a gun to your head and trust Jesus to stop the bullet, would you? No, of course not, because that's stupendously moronic.
    We could argue about this all day long, it still does NOT change the fact you just insulted many members, not just christians, but members of other religions and faiths.

Peace.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Friendship is Carrots
    Okay, although there are no official rules against double posting.
    Rule 3.4:

"Spam also includes posts that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic and posting multiple posts or threads on the same subject."

We could argue about this all day long, it still does NOT change the fact you just insulted many members, not just christians, but members of other religions and faiths.
    No, I said anyone who thinks pure belief will protect them from danger is stupid. Because it is. You're not going to keep standing in front of the train just because you think your God will magically stop it.

But continue being offended over nothing.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Extreme Poster
    I'm gonna have to agree with Rapture there. Faith is one thing but no one in their right mind would ever leave something up to God when you can do something about it...like dodge lol or take medication lol.

I'm not a practicing Muslim, neither a devout but i have enough knowledge about it and I generally find it helpful from a wisdom point of view but if there wasn't the concept of "free will" in Islam, it would make my decision easy to not follow it in any way.

and i'm fairly sure you're going outside the bounds of Christianity as well. I'm fairly sure Christianity would have free will.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with Rapture there. Faith is one thing but no one in their right mind would ever leave something up to God when you can do something about it...like dodge lol or take medication lol.

I'm not a practicing Muslim, neither a devout but i have enough knowledge about it and I generally find it helpful from a wisdom point of view but if there wasn't the concept of "free will" in Islam, it would make my decision easy to not follow it in any way.

and i'm fairly sure you're going outside the bounds of Christianity as well. I'm fairly sure Christianity would have free will.
    There is a perfect joke from Boardwalk Empire that fits that statement and this situation. Not word for word but you will get the point.

A man is swimming of the beach and starts screaming God save me I'm drowning. A lifeguard hears him and swims out to save him. The lifeguard gets to him and tells him he's there to save him. The guy drowning says no thanks God will save me. So the lifeguard swims back. A few minutes later a row boat comes along and hears his cries. The guy tells him I'm here to save you. He tells the boater, no thanks God will save me. So he leaves. A tug boat comes by and tells him he's there to save him. Same thing, no thanks God will save me. The boat leaves and a few minutes later the guy drowns.

He sees a white light and finds himself in heaven. He gets to the gates and is greeted by God. The guy ask God, why didn't you save me. God says I sent you a lifeguard and two boats. What the hell else did you expect me to do?!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

19. Likes Morganator, Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    you know, we have to understand that it's not religious people that are idiots. it's idiots that are religious. this is not a comment towards you black wolf, this is my observation on religion.

on the other hand, i have defended Christianity/Islam (any belief in general) a countless times and have gone against those who attack it (or its people) and this includes religious idiots that attack other religions or lack of it so i don't have an agenda.

bottom line is, there are idiots, idiots everywhere

21. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Forum Sage

So you're calling anyone who believes their religion protects him or her stupid?

God didn't plan for him to die and protection doesn't work that way.
    I think he nailed it in all honesty. Also, that's exactly how protection works. The belief that a tool, person/creature or idea will come to your aid against another tool, person/creature or idea is the definition of protection.

Just saying.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    A lot of good points there man, personally I don't believe in god and I have some friends that do but we never discuss it because we respect that we each have the choice to believe in what we want.
    Similar situation here. The closest description of my belief is agnostic theism. It's kind of nice, though, since I can have discussions with friends no matter what their belief, as there are beliefs we both share and can discuss, and the rest we simply don't cover.

Discussing it with strangers is something I'm against, mainly because of what you can see in this forum. I don't think anyone should ever resort to name-calling based on somebody's religious beliefs. Other forums I go to have a policy against it for that same reason (or they have a special room that you must apply to join and if you screw up in there, you get more than just a warning).

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    you know, we have to understand that it's not religious people that are idiots. it's idiots that are religious. this is not a comment towards you black wolf, this is my observation on religion.

on the other hand, i have defended Christianity/Islam (any belief in general) a countless times and have gone against those who attack it (or its people) and this includes religious idiots that attack other religions or lack of it so i don't have an agenda.

bottom line is, there are idiots, idiots everywhere
    QFT.

Also, is that Taxi Driver?

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    QFT.

Also, is that Taxi Driver?
    Yup, one of my fav movies of all time.

Thread Information