PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST

Awesome Games You May Have Overlooked .... But Should Be Playing !

1. Enslaved (Action / Adventure)
    2. Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light (Twin Stick Shooter / 3RD Person Co Op Shooter)
    3. Astro Tripper (2D Shooter - Play it on easy setting)
    4. Pac Man Champion Edition DX+ (Arcade / Casual)
    5. Edge (Puzzle)
    6. Cuboid (Puzzle)
    7. Gatling Gears (Twin Stick Shooter)
    8. Warp (Action Puzzler)
    9. Magic Orbz, Shatter, & Wizorb (Brick Breakers)
    10 Pinballistik

Above is my list of games that I had either never heard of or thought might not be fun until I played them and they became some of my all time favorite games on the PS3.

What games had you never heard of or thought would be terrible or boring until you played them and they have become a favorite of yours?
    I've been playing video games since the days of Pong and it looks like I'll be playin' 'em 'till the day I'm gone!

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Never gunna give Enslaved a chance unfortunately
    The Unreal engine ruined its potential for me.

however, Valkyria Chronicles is a game many overlooked. Sad because finding a copy now is extremely difficult.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

3. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST
    I have seen it on PSN for download I think, can you describe what genre it is? Game mechanics? What is it about the Unreal Engine that has got you so fired up? Curious ...
    I've been playing video games since the days of Pong and it looks like I'll be playin' 'em 'till the day I'm gone!

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I can't really think of any. Any game that looks enjoyable I plan to eventually get to. One game that comes to mind is Tomb Raider and Max Payne 3. I have both downloaded but still haven't played them yet.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST
    Im curious about Max Paine 3, its on sale now and I checked out a review ... I completely overlooked that series and it looks like it might be great, when I get paid on Friday I'm gonna pick it up.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroBlast View Post
    I have seen it on PSN for download I think, can you describe what genre it is? Game mechanics? What is it about the Unreal Engine that has got you so fired up? Curious ...
    Every Unreal Game plays the same....FPS, TPS etc. 'Remember me' bears a striking resemblance to the gameplay in Enslaved for example. UE4 apparently fixes the drab animation issues, so hope it does well and is just as popular as UE4.

UE games look nice don't get me wrong. I dislike it on a technical level.

I don't think Valkyria Chronicles is available digitally. Stunning visuals though. Water painting in motion
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST
    I just downloaded Remember Me and wish I had forgotten to ... Deleted it from my system after playing it for about 30 minutes ... the idea was great, the game was terrible. Enslaved on the other hand was a really good game in that although it did not excel in any one particular area, the combination of all it had to offer was very appealing and addicting.

The graphics were bright and beautiful but they did suffer from jarring moments of glitches on rare occasion, the combat was simple according to many but I hate complicated button combos anyway so I loved it, The story was told very well but the sound would glitch so that you could not even hear what was going on at times which is why I turned on the subtitles. The upgrade system was simple but I liked it.

What drove the game for me was the characters, the great motion capture and expressions on the characters faces, the story, and the simple combat and special one button take downs. You felt for those characters, you wanted to know what happens next, you wanted to know how the journey would end and when it ended, you wanted Enslaved 2.

I honestly think you should give it a shot, especially if its free or on sale on PSN.

PSU Live Streamer
    It blows my mind how much people hate on Remember Me. I can't recall ever enjoying a game that nearly all the critics of the world rated below a 7.0. The game was perfectly fine...I enjoyed it enough that I kept my retail copy of which I paid full price for and have no regrets. If you like the gameplay mechanics of Uncharted and Batman, then there is little room for complaint. Combat is not clunky at all, it almost has a rhythm to it sort of like Patapon does. Infact, the reasons you listed for liking Enslaved I can pretty much echo as my opinion for Remember Me....To each their own I guess.

On the flip side, I have a severe love/hate relationship with Enslaved for reasons I listed in the discussion thread I created on it about a year ago. I still own it though.

Back on topic, Remember Me is a game I'd put on this list. As I feel too many skipped it due to poor reviews and the fact it released merely a month before a powerhouse that was The Last of Us.

-Also I agree that Valkyria Chronicles should be on the list. Amazing game.
    -Castlevania Lords of Shadows was a great game. I feel too many skipped it because they changed the formula from the normal Castlevania experience.
    -Darksiders was a great game missed out on by many because it came out at the sametime as God of War 3, Bayonetta and Dante's Inferno.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Remember Me is also a game I'd recommend. It's a great B-game oozing with atmosphere.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST
    Perhaps I did not give Remember Me enough time, but I have always been a good judge of what games I will like or not usually within the first 5 minutes of playing it. I played Remember Me up to the point where you have your first opportunity to change what unfolds within a memory. I loved the opening of the game and was ready for a great quest then I immediately got turned off with the orange arrow pointing to where you need to jump to next ... many games these days don't really give you an option of where to jump, you just have to look around a second or two to see where you can, then do it. But having an arrow there annoyed me, I didn't even have to look around for a second, it was pointed out to me. It just turned me off that's all. Then came the combat ... stringing combos together, some of them 5 buttons long ... having to do a certain combo to gain health ..... I don't get into that which is I think why I liked Enslaved and Uncharted better. When I said terrible game, I mean terrible for me ... sad because I have been waiting a long time to try out Remember Me and have always been curious about it .... it just wasn't for me.

PSN ID
    RETRO_____BLAST
    Can anyone tell me what style of game Valkyria Chronicles is ... is it action adventure, turn based RPG, strategy ??? What are the game mechanics?

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Remember Me isn't for everyone. It's a flawed game, but there's a lot I liked. The setting, atmosphere and the music for one. The gameplay was good enough for me, mixing your own combos was interesting. They could've gone deeper with remixing memories.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroBlast View Post
    Can anyone tell me what style of game Valkyria Chronicles is ... is it action adventure, turn based RPG, strategy ??? What are the game mechanics?
    It's kind of all the genres you listed

It's primarily turn based. You have a set amount of moves per turn to move units around. 1 unit, 1 move. unused moves carry over to your next turn.
    However, during the turn, it plays like a third person shooter. you are free to move your character in any direction you want, shoot at any target you want (irrespective of distance) or otherwise put them[character] in positions favourable for your next turn. Moving uses up a stamina metre, when it runs out, your characters move ends. you can move the same character twice, but the stamina bar will not be fully refilled. You can also only shoot at one enemy per turn. all this plays into the strategy of the game. placing units out of harm. setting up ambushes by hiding in grass....etc.

IT's very deep, but simple to understand once you pick it up. Classes get ranked as opposed to individual soldiers, so you're never down on strength in the latter part of the game.

Classes range from shocktrooper, scout, engineer, heavy, sniper, tanks. There is a risk/reward system that is very well implemented. The tank is your commander piece and playing it can have devastating results, but leave it open during the enemies turn and it could be game over. Scounts have HUGE stamina bars, but low armour and average accuracy. Shocktroopers have high armour and damage, but little stamina and low accuracy. Snipers have next to no stamina or health but have MAJOR damage and accuracy....you get the picture.

During your turn, enemies are free to shoot at you as you move about the battlefield (the same is true in reverse and is automatic). When you take aim, the game world stops and you get to chose the area to shoot (which plays into that risk/reward system) do you risk shooting for the head and miss? or do you play it safe and go for the much larger torso?....i could go on all day

Valkyria Chronicles is one of my top 5 games ever. Freaking love the game!

EDIT:
    Your soldiers also have personality. Some hate other members and don't perform as effectively when you bring both along. Some members love certain members and get a boost when they're around. Some have passive boosts dependant on battle condition.....i seriously could go on all day!

EDIT-EDIT:
    Of my top 5:
    The last of Us
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Grandia
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Mirrors Edge

I would say the last three are games people overlooked.

Grandia is a PS1 game that i've loved since i first played it way back then. Sadly, it was overshadowed by a certain FF entry. This game is purchasable on the PSN now. so if you like JRPG's....Grandia has a battle system second to none, and never topped since it's release.

Mirrors Edge...spilts it's audience 50/50. you're either gunna love it. or hate it.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 02-21-2014 at 05:34.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information