View Poll Results: Will there be a World War 3 before 2050?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, World War 3 will occur within 50 years.

6 26.09%
  • No, Another World War will not occur within 50 years.

6 26.09%
  • There will just be normal wars, not world wars.

11 47.83%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    by the time i am 70. The world population will sit at 15 billion.

free space will be one of the key commodities.

i am 22 now.

15 billion people. triple the CO2 emissions, double the consumption of goods and materials, quadruple the amount of space for farming....I'm glad i'll be signing out at that time if im being honest.

War of some sort is inevitable. whether over free space, water, or something else. governments must look after their own first. even if it means forcing someone to share. Recent dispute over oil being the primary example.

It's a phenomenon seen in physics too. Order always descends into chaos - Entropy.

EDIT:
    the above is true unless we find some way to revolutionise the way we cultivate our resources...just a disclaimer lol
    Free space isn't the issue. Did you know if you took all 7 billion people and stood them next to each shoulder to shoulder they could all fit in Los Angeles? You're spot on with the resources but free space is not the issue not for people and where they live anyway. Using up more space for more crops is a problem.

I'd like to think people will smarten up and find solutions and work together instead of create more problems. But people are so stubborn. I hope they can put differences aside.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Finally You Are Free
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwes View Post
    Exactly. China doesn't like us, but they don't hate us enough for that.

Besides, our arsenal of nukes would keep China, or any other country for that matter, at bay
    We're not good buddies playing Halo on the couch together, but what makes you think China doesn't like us? We have a fairly friendly relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    But dropping those atomic bombs probably saved more lives than it took away. Unless I'm mistaken, the war would have otherwise continued.
    Ask any historian, they'll give you a different possible outcome if the bombs hadn't been used. Japan eventually surrenders after a brutal full-invasion. The US withdraws in wounded defeat. Russia's planned invasion from the north scares Japan into a compromise or surrender. Yadda yadda.

What we know is that the United States killed over a quarter million innocent people with two weapons that shocked the world and broke Japan's willpower to keep fighting, finally closing the war. The world slowly repaired its damage and moved on from the tragedies of those six years. It's difficult passing judgement on this kind of thing because there's just so many possibilities.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 02-22-2014 at 04:29.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Not gonna happen. Too much to lose for any country. Definitely won't involve nukes.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    We're not good buddies playing Halo on the couch together, but what makes you think China doesn't like us? We have a fairly friendly relationship.
    I don't think China has ever really been buddies with the US. I might be wrong, but we are sort of like neighbors are live peacefully, but don't really go to each others houses or nothing.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    China will not cause WWIII, because it makes no sense. They have always stayed within the boarders of what land that know and never went beyond they

Russia is the same, the U.S or U.K will start WWIII and even Isreal and that is based on the fact that they are hell bent on this false belief

They are gods of there land and $#@! the rest of the regions around it, they will attack Iran this year and that will snowball from there

Iran which has a clear hatre for Isreal, will reply with bombs and then before or during or after. The U.S will get involved and then a no fly zone will be put in place

And this will mean leadership change in Iran, but that will never happen and this is when the U.K will get involved. Because they can't sit back and watch their lovers being destroyed

So mark my words

3 wars this year and then WWIII by 2036

Sent by using my fingers. How else can you
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    But dropping those atomic bombs probably saved more lives than it took away. Unless I'm mistaken, the war would have otherwise continued.
    WWII simply shifted into the Cold war. it didn't really end until the US and Russia agreed to ceasefire. Which came about due to the aforementioned test explosion. Nuclear weapons were still on the table until that point. so the results of Hiroshima and Nagasaki really didn't amount to much.

Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Free space isn't the issue. Did you know if you took all 7 billion people and stood them next to each shoulder to shoulder they could all fit in Los Angeles? You're spot on with the resources but free space is not the issue not for people and where they live anyway. Using up more space for more crops is a problem.

I'd like to think people will smarten up and find solutions and work together instead of create more problems. But people are so stubborn. I hope they can put differences aside.
    Free space is an issue and one of the things we look at (smart economists anyways ).

People don't live standing side by side. so the stat is irrelevant. A single person has tremendous upkeep (for want of a better word). Infrastructure to support a community - water, electricity, housing, roads, supplies etc. all consumes space. And this isn't taking into account the space needed to acquire those resources.

If we could survive by standing side by side, then it wouldn't be an issue. Japan(Tokyo) have already looked at 'super cities'. so too have many other metropolises.

15 billion is a lot of people. the rate of expansion increases at an alarming rate. that's more than double in my lifetime alone. Wonder what it will look like during our children's, children's lifetime? IIRC, we had 1 billion almost 1000 years ago. so to double within a single lifetime is absurd expansion. Space will be an issue at some point.

But yes, if we start working toward goals that better humanity rather than goals that further ourselves, it's entirely possible to avoid all that....even the wars...hopefully.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    That is why we need the truth about Aliens

Because or first Worlds War is more important then world war

Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Finally You Are Free
    I don't think China has ever really been buddies with the US. I might be wrong, but we are sort of like neighbors are live peacefully, but don't really go to each others houses or nothing.
    China and America have had their differences, and still does (political ideology and debate of settled territories between China and Japan after WW2), but twice we helped pull invading Japanese troops from their coastline (who were killing tens of thousands of men and raping their women) during the rise of Imperialist Japan and again during World War 2. America is also a prime contender for helping shut down North Korea if it ever loses its $#@! entirely, which plays to china's favor. Then, of course, you have the mutual trade benefits of today, and we cooperate pretty well on the global scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    China will not cause WWIII, because it makes no sense. They have always stayed within the boarders of what land that know and never went beyond they
    You're certainly right about this. China is historically a very ego-minded nation, sticking within their own borders and to their own culture. They have little interest in any sort of war, much less one on their doorstep. This is why they play buddy-buddy with North Korea so much, to keep the region stabilized. China likes its economic growth and power and it doesn't want to lose it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    You're certainly right about this. China is historically a very ego-minded nation, sticking within their own borders and to their own culture. They have little interest in any sort of war, much less one on their doorstep. This is why they play buddy-buddy with North Korea so much, to keep the region stabilized. China likes its economic growth and power and it doesn't want to lose it.
    So that makes the U.S angels

RIGHT

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    By 2050 all wars will be battled out on Call of Duty: The Next Generation.

Called it.

And I'll be 63 in 2050. Yikes!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I don't even wanna imagine how old I'll be by then. I doubt there will be WW3. I would be more worried about any natural disasters coming about in the next 50 years, or more, that have the potential to create ELE Extinction Level Event, or a considerably large amount of the population in coastal areas.

Forum Sage

IMO, this world has one more big fight left in it. It will be over a multitude of issues and ideologies. There are several factors which will play into it.

1. U.S. currency supremacy and hegemony will be formally and openly challenged. Expect a currency war between the G-7 - G-8 nations and the BRICS nations. These wars will be economic in nature wherein the BRICS nations will push for and demand a basket currency or another currency to replace the dollar, euro, pound, yen. You will know it's here when you start seeing this topic brought up on the floor of the U.N. and you also see the G-7, G-8 nations impose trade sanctions and/or excessive tariffs. (Already happening if anyone's been paying attention to alternative media.)

2. U.S. alliances will be put under strain in the key areas whether by this nation's own doing or because other nations are exercising and stretching their military muscles and exerting their sovereignty. (Also already happening with regards to Iran, China, Russia. There's a reason why the U.S. is placing 60% of it's military assets in the Asia pacific region, 48 bases and three carrier strike groups in the middle east.)

Unlike the past world wars, we will be sorta eased into the third one. China has a debt to pay for their involvement in the Korean conflict and Russia will likely choose the wrong side and be dealt with. The United States needs an excuse to revitalize its infrastructure and manufacturing base and will use any means it can to see it through.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Have no idea... This is one of those things you can't know in my eyes, either it happens or it doesn't.. I hope it doesn't, but seemingly I've got a feeling the world hasn't learned from earlier mistakes.

Battlelog: MrUltraah | PSN: kipkebab92 | Steam: ultraah | Twitch: MrUltraah | Xfire: dahultrapro

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    WWII simply shifted into the Cold war. it didn't really end until the US and Russia agreed to ceasefire. Which came about due to the aforementioned test explosion. Nuclear weapons were still on the table until that point. so the results of Hiroshima and Nagasaki really didn't amount to much.

Free space is an issue and one of the things we look at (smart economists anyways ).

People don't live standing side by side. so the stat is irrelevant. A single person has tremendous upkeep (for want of a better word). Infrastructure to support a community - water, electricity, housing, roads, supplies etc. all consumes space. And this isn't taking into account the space needed to acquire those resources.

If we could survive by standing side by side, then it wouldn't be an issue. Japan(Tokyo) have already looked at 'super cities'. so too have many other metropolises.

15 billion is a lot of people. the rate of expansion increases at an alarming rate. that's more than double in my lifetime alone. Wonder what it will look like during our children's, children's lifetime? IIRC, we had 1 billion almost 1000 years ago. so to double within a single lifetime is absurd expansion. Space will be an issue at some point.

But yes, if we start working toward goals that better humanity rather than goals that further ourselves, it's entirely possible to avoid all that....even the wars...hopefully.
    What I'm saying is space for humans to build their houses isn't a problem. It's the land needed to support those people that's an issue. I'm not sure well reach 15 billion either. We've been looking at population growth in one of my classes lately and if things transition in India (and others) to an industrial nation growth rate will drop. Population will balloon first but will slow down.

We need better population control. People need to not have so many kids because that's more people that must be provided for and that will slowly choke us to death. There are just way too many people.

Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    That is why we need the truth about Aliens

Because or first Worlds War is more important then world war

What? Lol

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    I know it's not really portrayed as such but the Cold War was essentially a mexican stand off between the west, USSR and China. China hated Russia just as much as it hated the west because it went down a different ideological path and it saw it as a traitor to the communist cause. It also didn't like the way Russia conducted itself in negotiations with the west and made far too many concessions for its liking. China had set itself up to join with Russia at an attempt at spreading communism to the rest of the world and backing it fully in a global war.

Different days now, China is ever more reliant on its trade with the west. While it may bluster from time to time it's economy is far too integrated into the global market to risk upsetting it. Without the west, China would be screwed.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    China and America have had their differences, and still does (political ideology and debate of settled territories between China and Japan after WW2), but twice we helped pull invading Japanese troops from their coastline (who were killing tens of thousands of men and raping their women) during the rise of Imperialist Japan and again during World War 2. America is also a prime contender for helping shut down North Korea if it ever loses its $#@! entirely, which plays to china's favor. Then, of course, you have the mutual trade benefits of today, and we cooperate pretty well on the global scheme.
    Economic relations are good aside from squabbles over currency rates and stuff like that, but overall relations have been mediocre over the years. The was the incident about ten years ago (?) where one of our planes went into their airspace and they detained the crew for days demanding an apology from the US. Then they shipped the plane back in pieces. Taiwan continues to be a major issue between the countries. The fact that we are such close allies with Japan doesn't help either. Having said all that, I think the relations will improve greatly over the next 20 years as globalization will drive the two together by common interests.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Ever since the atomic bomb was invented wars just aren't fun anymore.
    We tried twice - time to give others a chance

Through money and economic superiority we have europe in the pocket right now.

18. Likes Malt likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Ever since the atomic bomb was invented wars just aren't fun anymore.
    We tried twice - time to give others a chance

Through money and economic superiority we have europe in the pocket right now.
    Not all of it you don't...

Sorry, couldn't resist!

20. Likes Beast of Bourbon likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    OnelShot
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    I don't even wanna imagine how old I'll be by then. I doubt there will be WW3. I would be more worried about any natural disasters coming about in the next 50 years, or more, that have the potential to create ELE Extinction Level Event, or a considerably large amount of the population in coastal areas.
    Chances of that are remote compared to war.

If anything happens it probably will revolve around the middle east and their revolutions.

Super Elite
    It's got to be one of the middle-Eastern countries that will involve the world, no doubt if one of them upset's the wrong person that is.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    What is going to happen in the future is more of what you're currently seeing in the middle east and now Ukraine. Rather than a World War it seems like instead countries are overthrowing their Republic governments and are wanting to become a democracy. This is most likely going to split countries into half but it's a sign that the brick nations are becoming a lot more educated that they can see that War itself is a bad thing, the way their government is is taking from the people, and they simply want to have a fair society of which most countries in the Middle East simply don't have. Iraq was the start and ever since then it's been one country after another like wildfire. It's going to take decades for any of this to settle down but World Wars are over and civil wars are in.

I would not be surprised at some stage that China might have some sort of revolt as well as India.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    It's got to be one of the middle-Eastern countries that will involve the world, no doubt if one of them upset's the wrong person that is.
    they don't need to involve everyone when everyone is involved before the conflicts start.

Ultimate Veteran
    Exactly. China doesn't like us, but they don't hate us enough for that.

Besides, our arsenal of nukes would keep China, or any other country for that matter, at bay
    “Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.” - Albert Einstein

Nukes wouldn't stop WWIII but as previously stated we won't see WWIII until it makes more financial sense than peace.
    Other opinions are available.

27. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Sage

I don't see nukes as a deterrence in the sense of stopping a war altogether. It just means that nuclear powers won't use them on other nuclear powers. Conventional warfare is far more likely with regards to air and sea campaigns and asymmetrical warfare is far more prudent with regards to land campaigns than conventional forces or MAD ever playing a role. Conventional assets will be deployed asymmetrically rather than conventionally.

Also, cyber warfare really only seeks economic disruption but really can't be successfully deployed on closed-loop systems unless accompanied by special operations forces and conducted onsite.

If we were to include nukes at all, they would be used for electronic warfare in taking out electronic systems in large swathes of areas. High altitude detonation mitigates radioactive fallout while maximizing the EMP coverage thus being able to knock out whole electrical grids while rendering satellites irrelevant. Even then, electronic warfare systems can do targeted areas without affecting surrounding ares at all and relatively cheap missiles can down satellites without the need for nukes entering the equation.

Thread Information