Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style

UK | Amazon Prime to Include Lovefilm. But There's a Catch...

I just logged in to see this:

Awesome! I thought. Clicked on the image to see this:

That's cool, but a little light on actual details, so searched google news and found this:

Amazon has announced changes to its Lovefilm and Prime services. But are customers getting a better deal?

The other day I got an excited call from a PR acting for Amazon. He told me that on Friday the online retailer was completely revamping its Lovefilm Instant streaming video offering in the UK. That sounds interesting - since Amazon bought Lovefilm three years ago it has struggled to make the streaming side of the business stand out against competitors like Netflix and Sky.

But now, it seems, there is going to be compelling new content which will shake up the market. When the Facebook/WhatsApp story came along, I forgot about Amazon's video ambitions until this morning when I looked at their press release.

The story begins to look slightly different. The headline reads "The Countdown Begins - Unlimited Streaming of More than 15,000 Popular Movies and TV Episodes Coming to Amazon Prime Next Week."

The release goes on to explain that Amazon Prime, the service where you pay an annual fee to get faster delivery, is being combined with Lovefilm Instant.

"With the addition of Prime Instant Video", it says, "Prime will be offered at the low price of 79 a year - a 35% saving for what were previously separate services."

What does not appear in the release is one key fact - that Amazon Prime currently costs 49 a year, so the customers who currently want fast delivery but are not interested in the video service will now face a 60% price increase.

Ah yes, says the Amazon PR team when I ask about this, but many customers are currently both Prime and Lovefilm Instant members, so combining the two is providing them great value.

How many is "many" I want to know - what proportion of Prime customers are also paying for Lovefilm?

"We don't disclose exact figures on subscriptions", comes the reply. "Much like our competitors it's simply confidential information that we don't share publicly."

My guess is that only quite a small minority of customers have both services. Today's move appears to be designed as a way of cutting the high costs of delivering the Prime service, while boosting a video offering which has looked a little lightweight to many.

That is a perfectly sensible business strategy for a firm which, like other web giants, wants its customers to spend more time in its company. But Amazon UK customers who look at the site today will see a message telling them about the "great news" about unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes. What they won't see is any mention of a price rise.

Perhaps most Amazon Prime customers will see an extra 30 a year as a good deal for a choice of 15,000 movies and programmes. Or perhaps they will look at the range of video content - not much stronger, as far as I can see - and decide not to renew their subscription. Amazon is undertaking what could be a dangerous experiment with consumer behaviour - though of course we are unlikely to be told the results.
    Source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26290206

In short, Amazon Prime will now feature Lovefilm steaming included, but is going up to 79 from 49.

Not so awesome after all, I'm a Prime member, and I have Netflix which is 5.99 a month. I'm perfectly happy with (just) Netflix. I also would most likely have re-subbed my Prime... but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't seem there will be a 'basic' Prime for just delivery... and don't want to have to pay 79... it works out as Lovefilm for 1.66 a month.. but not having the option of not having it is bit of a bastard.

Well, my Prime runs out in September, so I'll at least get free Lovefilm until then, and will have to make a decision.

Anyone else a Prime member and have some thoughts about the price hike albeit with a new feature?
    Last edited by darky89; 02-22-2014 at 23:15.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I've never been a prime member as I don't shop on the website often enough to warrant it, definitely won't bother with it now.

Super Elite
    I don't know why people can't be patient with free 5 day delivery.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    TI turns up when ti wants. Paying extra means it turns up when you want.
    If I wait for slow 5 day delivery (which doesn't always include weekends) so if order on Thursday it isn't going to turn up until a week later on Thursday and even then I will be at work or something so then have to travel to the delivery companies local depot (wherever that is) so I plan my buying online stuff when I know I will be in and select a date for it to arrive.

I do nto use Amazon prime, never have and most likely never will (I do not buy enough stuff) but I do often use the next day or pick a day option for delivery so I am not inconvenienced.
    Last edited by keefy; 02-25-2014 at 04:15.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    I buy so much $#@! from there it's worth it.

Extreme Poster
    Amazon Prime would be worth it to me too because I buy almost everything I can from there. But I just can't see myself being into their streaming...especially since I can't get it to work lol.

now if it was as good as Netflix (which will never happen), then I would be a member.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Been Amazon Prime since it rolled out 4/5 years ago. Cancelled my renewal today though (due in August). They can go screw themselves with this 'deal'. I have no interest at all in Lovefilm.

​aka Sparc

Forum Sage

Think about this, it costs 5.99 pounds monthly, to stream Netflix in the U.K.. If you do the math, that's 71.88 pounds a year for Netflix alone. If you switch over to Amazon Prime with Lovefilm, you could potentially save yourself 41.89 pounds. Amazon also benefits from this as well. Those who renew or purchase the service are more likely to take full advantage of it and there is also an increasing chance that those who also have Netflix will stop their subscriptions as a cost savings measure. Amazon is obviously seeking to poach the cross-market demographic of users who subscribe to both services.

Personally, I could see myself using the full extent of the service and cutting Netflix out altogether. It's smart business but very tricky. I know that Europe loathes these kinds of business practices.

Extreme Poster
    how good is love film?

Power Member
    IT was inevitable they would merge since Amazon bought it a hile back
    Last edited by keefy; 02-27-2014 at 05:40.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    how good is love film?
    I'd say it's slightly worse off than Netflix but not by much. Integrating it with Amazon Prime will give it the resources, infrastructure and attention it needs to be successful and leapfrog Netflix. I honestly don't see the big deal.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I'd say it's slightly worse off than Netflix but not by much. Integrating it with Amazon Prime will give it the resources, infrastructure and attention it needs to be successful and leapfrog Netflix. I honestly don't see the big deal.
    leapfrog netflix? man, they got a lot of room to catch up as there are entire series (popular ones and might even be grammy winners) that netflix has produced.

they are becoming HBO by themselves.

but i'll keep my eyes open because i have been interested in prime and if this takes off and creates a niche, i might get it.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    I tried Loveflim before I opted for Netflix, that's why I opted for Netflix. I'll change to Lovefilm when I think it's a better offering - not before and I certainly won't be coerced into it by Amazon

​aka Sparc

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    I tried Loveflim before I opted for Netflix, that's why I opted for Netflix. I'll change to Lovefilm when I think it's a better offering - not before and I certainly won't be coerced into it by Amazon
    same here. i think i would've given it a try maybe a year ago but damn man, netflix really picked it up recently.

Forum Sage

leapfrog netflix? man, they got a lot of room to catch up as there are entire series (popular ones and might even be grammy winners) that netflix has produced.

they are becoming HBO by themselves.

but i'll keep my eyes open because i have been interested in prime and if this takes off and creates a niche, i might get it.
    You have to look at it from this point of view. Amazon Prime already has a big offering and integrating Lovefilm into it will help the Lovefilm portion of it out by quite a bit. Amazon prime has many of the same series as Netflix does.

Now, I definitely agree with you that Netflix has some great original series that are exclusive to them. I absolutely love House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black. Those two series are absolutely awesome in every way.

The only real thing to differentiate between the two services is that Amazon Prime gets the new shows and movies as soon as they hit the shelves and on many occasions, before they hit the shelves. Many shows get put on the site the day after or within a week of airing on TV. The same cannot be said of Netflix which oftentimes, has to wait a full year before getting said shows on its service, bar the Netflix Originals.

I definitely see where people are coming from though and to a certain point, I emphasize. I think though, that both services have something to offer and in the end, you may very well be obliged to use both.

Master Guru
    You have to look at it from this point of view. Amazon Prime already has a big offering and integrating Lovefilm into it will help the Lovefilm portion of it out by quite a bit. Amazon prime has many of the same series as Netflix does.

Now, I definitely agree with you that Netflix has some great original series that are exclusive to them. I absolutely love House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black. Those two series are absolutely awesome in every way.

The only real thing to differentiate between the two services is that Amazon Prime gets the new shows and movies as soon as they hit the shelves and on many occasions, before they hit the shelves. Many shows get put on the site the day after or within a week of airing on TV. The same cannot be said of Netflix which oftentimes, has to wait a full year before getting said shows on its service, bar the Netflix Originals.

I definitely see where people are coming from though and to a certain point, I emphasize. I think though, that both services have something to offer and in the end, you may very well be obliged to use both.
    Hmmm, didn't know that. From what I've seen of Lovefilm/Prime Instant Video so far, it doesn't seem to have as good a library as Netflix. And while looking through shows there was a Justice League cartoon where everything was free except the first episode, now I don't know if that was just a mistake or a bastard move to make you feel like you need to buy it if you want to watch the rest, of course you don't have to, but it'd be weird to start watching a whole series from episode two.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    At the same time they will lose the subscription of those who had both a Prime account and a Lovefilm account and so lose some revenue. What about the people who only had a Lovefilm account and don't want an Amazon Prime account? They could jump to Netflix.

Right now we don't know after all the moving and migration whether they will end up better off or not.

​aka Sparc

Extreme Poster

and movies you say? hmm i didn't know that, i might check it out now.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    At the same time they will lose the subscription of those who had both a Prime account and a Lovefilm account and so lose some revenue. What about the people who only had a Lovefilm account and don't want an Amazon Prime account? They could jump to Netflix.

Right now we don't know after all the moving and migration whether they will end up better off or not.
    Its only the same as changing your MSN to Skype.

I got ripped off by Lovefilm, never recieved a DVD from them once, and they attempted to charge me for it after my membership ran out the cheeky bar stewards.
    Last edited by keefy; 02-28-2014 at 15:24.

Extreme Poster
    netflix never charged for missing DVDs.

EDIT: wait, i just realized why they started to charge more for their DVD rental service...

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Its only the same as changing your MSN to Skype.

I got ripped off by Lovefilm, never recieved a DVD from them once, and they attempted to charge me for it after my membership ran out the cheeky bar stewards.
    I've just been chatting to colleague in the office who had exactly the same story! lol

​aka Sparc

Power Member
    netflix never charged for missing DVDs.

EDIT: wait, i just realized why they started to charge more for their DVD rental service...
    I think it was only because I cancelled my membership.
    The DVDs sometimes took a while to turn up and often they were not the ones on my to watch list even though I had at least 20 on it.
    To be honest every single DVD I got from them I backed up and sent back almost immediately.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I think it was only because I cancelled my membership.
    The DVDs sometimes took a while to turn up and often they were not the ones on my to watch list even though I had at least 20 on it.
    To be honest every single DVD I got from them I backed up and sent back almost immediately.
    Naughty, definitely didn't do that myself...

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    So, given my Amazon Prime doesn't expire until August, I tried it out this evening using the PS4.

Might be worth noting that not everything in their library is available to watch for free! Some films you have to pay extra for - 3.49 or 48H HD rental (2.49 for SD). What a rip! Even Aliens - a classic, but 1986 film, you have to pay for in addition to your subscription. Then there are some films listed which when you click on them are not available for streaming "in your region" due to the license terms.

Messy, very messy. With Netflix once you're in, you're in - no more nickle and diming. Pretty unimpressed by this 'service'

​aka Sparc

Extreme Poster
    lol idiots.

Thread Information