Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    elaborate on "online infrastructure" and "enough gains"...PS+ I agree was a great service but had nothing to do with the online structure or the OS, whereas Live did. I don't think it was in the same league as Live. Not even close, from the perspective of a casual gamer.
    by the end of the generation, outside of XGC there was little to no difference in my experience between playing online games on the PS3 or the 360...when adding the features of PS+ like cloud storage and such it brought the PSN much more inline with what was offered by XBL...

point? do you think Sony would've done the same? heck no, not as easy as MS made it. Sony may have survived but they would've been more bruised and they would've taken a cheaper, more difficult route. probably made you fill out paperwork, sign up, all sorts of hoops to get through and still would've denied in certain ways saying that it wasn't the fault of the console but the user. i say this considering how horrible their PS customer service is or in general i should say.
    my point is simply that MS was not acting out of the goodness of their heart with that move...it was an attempt to cut cost...they knew it would have cost them more in the long run to continue the fight...

No, i dont think Sony would have done the same thing...MS has a significant advantage in operating capital...simply put, Sony would not have been able to afford to eat such a cost upfront, even though in the long run it would be cheaper to do so...

I get your point but my point is the money backing does come into play when MS is in a disaster. it's not like Sony gained on software sales...i think they chose the safe way out. they accepted the fact that PS3 was not going to outsell the 360 overall in the time frame that everyone was expecting them to. but yes, i agree that they were in a much tougher spot.

though when MS was in a hell of a spot, they reserved a billion dollars to smooth it out. not saying it would happen again but who knows. MS is getting cheap too...they were just doing too well with the 360 to justify the 1B reserve. but just going with the history, it seems like MS is quick on certain things than Sony.
    of course the deep pockets help...but MS is not a company that got where they are by losing money on products...thats not how software works...and in the past they have shown they will not keep other hardware and software (Zune, Vista) around just to throw money at a losing cause...

the 360 was outselling the PS3 and they were making more money on software sales...there was incentive there...AND...they were going to have to shell out a boat load of money in lawsuits anyway...so they cut their losses and ate the billion dollars as an upfront cost to save some scratch in the long run...

and i didn't say otherwise, but i think once they get the kinks out, people will gravitate towards the more featured OS.
    we shall see....never before has there been a console generation where things lined up so well for one console...1. most powerful hardware 2. cheaper 3. released first

i don't think of it that way. i think we should be able to go back and forth...i'm ok with a lack of snap feature but at least let us do both. i would love to switch back to netflix while i'm waiting on loading times.
    i always chuckle at the loading times argument for features like snap...do you watch netflix movies in ~1 min snippets while games load?

i know that. but i didn't know it was just 2GBs...do you have a link for this?
    just what insiders have said...

lol i didn't say that X1 would take over due to this...i'm just saying that people will consider this as well. overall PS4 still has more demand and i don't think that's going to stop anytime soon as Sony has been reactive with the PS4 way more than they did with PSP or the PS3.
    Sony has been more reactive because they got complacent and arrogant with the PS3...they expected it to sell on name alone regardless of price...this Sony is not a NEW Sony...this is OLD Sony...PS, and PS2 Sony...

PS3 era Sony is the real outlier in the history of their gaming division...

but I think the X1 OS features will come into play as the generation gets older and people realize that they might just want more than gaming on their consoles. i know i do already...actually i did before the PS4 came out and i was under the impression that we'd get apps too...since PS Vita did. but i was wrong. we'll see though, there's hope but i'm not expecting much.
    i might be the exception because i dont rely (or want to) on a single device to provide all of my entertainment...i prefer specialized equipment that does one thing very well over the "jack of all trades" but not exceptional at anything approach...which is how i see the Xbone...its not the best game console, its not the best bluray player, its not the best set top box, its not the best streaming device...it does all those things...and does most of them well...but its not the best at any of them...

i can access all of those features through 1 touch screen click on my universal remote using the other components of my home theater setup...

as for apps, the PS4 will get them over time...HBO GO is coming (just hit the PS3)...there will be plenty of others...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

2. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    by the end of the generation, outside of XGC there was little to no difference in my experience between playing online games on the PS3 or the 360...when adding the features of PS+ like cloud storage and such it brought the PSN much more inline with what was offered by XBL...
    after seeing how important x-game-chat is, i'm just not going to go with your experience here. because in my experience, it is very important and essential.

my point is simply that MS was not acting out of the goodness of their heart with that move...it was an attempt to cut cost...they knew it would have cost them more in the long run to continue the fight...
    no one does out of goodness...they wouldn't give a crap if they knew their customers wouldn't come back.

No, i dont think Sony would have done the same thing...MS has a significant advantage in operating capital...simply put, Sony would not have been able to afford to eat such a cost upfront, even though in the long run it would be cheaper to do so...

of course the deep pockets help...but MS is not a company that got where they are by losing money on products...thats not how software works...and in the past they have shown they will not keep other hardware and software (Zune, Vista) around just to throw money at a losing cause...
    and that's a totally different topic and i agree with you there. i have and will continue to argue against the supposed deep pockets that can do "anything" lol as thought by some peeps. it's not. they are a business and they didn't get to where they are by thinking that they can just spend money carelessly.

the 360 was outselling the PS3 and they were making more money on software sales...there was incentive there...AND...they were going to have to shell out a boat load of money in lawsuits anyway...so they cut their losses and ate the billion dollars as an upfront cost to save some scratch in the long run...
    oh yea, i think it was a good idea but we both know Sony would have made that more difficult for the users.

we shall see....never before has there been a console generation where things lined up so well for one console...1. most powerful hardware 2. cheaper 3. released first
    again, i'm not saying that people will go for the X1 over the PS4 due to the OS features X1 has. I mean that people will gravitate towards the X1's OS more than PS4's OS. Even though PS4 gets the job done and much faster too...people will eventually want more out of it and will see what X1 does offer more. Win 8 can only bring more apps...which is going to be damaging for Sony.

i feel like my PS4 should be doing a lot more than it does.

i always chuckle at the loading times argument for features like snap...do you watch netflix movies in ~1 min snippets while games load?
    i would, of course. and i don't even mind that it suspends the game...i just hate that it asks you about it every single time.

but you can't play MP and switch back and forth because suspend kicks you out of matches for obvious reasons.

just what insiders have said...
    that makes sense though because PS4 doesn't keep a lot of info in its memory...i would be glad if it's only 2GB...that would be awesome.

Sony has been more reactive because they got complacent and arrogant with the PS3...they expected it to sell on name alone regardless of price...this Sony is not a NEW Sony...this is OLD Sony...PS, and PS2 Sony...
    yeah, i'm not going to argue with Sony as of this moment because they both seem to be responding...Sony a bit more than MS as Sony already did a price cut before they even announced the price but my comparison was primarily with how Sony was with the PS3/PSP.

i guess it would be more fair to say that Sony is more reactive than MS "at this moment". it's pretty apparent that they were "picking" the right options as we were moving along, they were actively listening to what people didn't want MS to do...from that respect, they were way more responsive and hence why they're getting all this demand.

i guess i was looking at things from an "overall" perspective. but technically Sony has been more responsive with the PS4 than even Nintendo were with the 3DS or MS with the 360.

PS3 era Sony is the real outlier in the history of their gaming division...

i might be the exception because i dont rely (or want to) on a single device to provide all of my entertainment...i prefer specialized equipment that does one thing very well over the "jack of all trades" but not exceptional at anything approach...which is how i see the Xbone...its not the best game console, its not the best bluray player, its not the best set top box, its not the best streaming device...it does all those things...and does most of them well...but its not the best at any of them...

i can access all of those features through 1 touch screen click on my universal remote using the other components of my home theater setup...
    yeah, i'm the same and i get your point. i don't want the X1, but there are certain aspects of the console that i hope Sony can at least try to match.

i always saw the PS4 as a secondary media hub...but it's not at all right now. i do want it as an afterthought.

also i'm always on my console so i want it to be the main thing.

as for apps, the PS4 will get them over time...HBO GO is coming (just hit the PS3)...there will be plenty of others...
    meh, i want more than just that stuff.

can someone confirm if X1 has the Win 8 app store? i presume it has to be limited in some way...i would be very surprised if all apps are supported and if the store itself is supported...i'd assume that was the point of having win 8 in there.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    The ps4 is outselling Titanfall standalone copies and bundles for the month of march on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...s_tab_t_bsar#1

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Overseer
    not surprised. not enough users out there yet to have millions of pre-orders. heck even COD sold less than 4m so far on both next-gen consoles.

Elite Sage
    not surprised. not enough users out there yet to have millions of pre-orders. heck even COD sold less than 4m so far on both next-gen consoles.
    What does millions have to do with it lol? These are March only sales.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Master Sage
    my point isn't that it is going to gain profits or not, but you're proving my point...they are more reactive than even Nintendo when it came to 3DS.
    Nintendo didn't price cut the 3DS til after 6 months and when they had they handed out 30 games to everyone who bought one up til that time.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Nintendo didn't price cut the 3DS til after 6 months and when they had they handed out 30 games to everyone who bought one up til that time.
    that's why i said that MS reacted faster than Nintendo did with 3DS.

Master Sage
    that's why i said that MS reacted faster than Nintendo did with 3DS.
    Oh, misread nevermind lalala

Forum Overseer
    no biggie.

Elite Sage
    Infamous: Second Son pre-orders higher than Last of Us in the UK

“We have high expectations for Infamous: Second Son and are excited by the level of pre-orders which are exceeding that of The Last of Us at this point in the run up to its launch,” said SCE UK product manager Josh Walker.

“We can already see it benefitting from the goodwill and of buzz surrounding the PlayStation 4 and expect Second Son to be the biggest game in the Infamous series to date.”
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/infam...-of-us/0129226

12. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    yeah, this is certainly going to make the PS4 look more attractive to developers.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Infamous: Second Son pre-orders higher than Last of Us in the UK http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/infam...-of-us/0129226
    Wow. Great news. Cant wait to pick up my copy.

Friendship is Carrots
    This game is really tempting me into buying a PS4, and I didn't even care much for the Infamous titles on the PS3. I love the whole look of it, from the fantastic graphics to the gameplay itself.

I think I'll continue waiting for that first price drop though. The game will be cheaper too.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    This game is really tempting me into buying a PS4, and I didn't even care much for the Infamous titles on the PS3. I love the whole look of it, from the fantastic graphics to the gameplay itself.

I think I'll continue waiting for that first price drop though. The game will be cheaper too.
    all i gotta say is yolo bro

Friendship is Carrots
    all i gotta say is yolo bro
    Your post doesn't change my lack of gaming funds. :c
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Your post doesn't change my lack of gaming funds. :c
    simple. take out cash advance on your credit card for $400 at 30% AR. yolo

19. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I won't do it unless they give me the 45% APR!!!!

HOnestly though...

I have a few credit cars I use constantly lol. I alternate them. My most fav though, is paypal Bill Me Later.

Forum Overseer
    i think i have only paid interest twice in my life and that is because of a special circumstance. i must have gotten hundreds back in rewards though

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    i think i have only paid interest twice in my life and that is because of a special circumstance. i must have gotten hundreds back in rewards though
    I've not paid interest only twice in my life, and that's because of special circumstances.

23. Likes Omar likes this post
    overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    $#@!in tightarse! Get a payday loan and pay back a whopping 1700% APR!

http://www.quickquid.co.uk/adw-nb-pa...FQcTwwodylYAyQ

Get on it Rapture

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

25. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    we're just trying to help you out rapture.

EDIT: Borrow 500.00 + Interest 302.51 = Total to Repay 802.51

WTF they must take people for idiots over there.

EDIT 2: look at their logo...even that logo is QQ -ing. subliminal messaging?
    Last edited by Omar; 03-07-2014 at 21:50.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    we're just trying to help you out rapture.

EDIT: Borrow 500.00 + Interest 302.51 = Total to Repay 802.51

WTF they must take people for idiots over there.

EDIT 2: look at their logo...even that logo is QQ -ing. subliminal messaging?
    Dude, you wouldn't believe what England has become! $#@!ing at least one TV advert for these type of companies every 15min interval! Most town centres have hardly any shops open still but lots of pound shops and cash converter stores. $#@!in $#@! hole benefit scrounging bastard country now

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

28. Likes Malt likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by -Shafty- View Post
    Dude, you wouldn't believe what England has become! $#@!ing at least one TV advert for these type of companies every 15min interval! Most town centres have hardly any shops open still but lots of pound shops and cash converter stores. $#@!in $#@! hole benefit scrounging bastard country now
    almost sounds like those scoundrels ruining this country are giving tips to the scoundrels over there.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Thinking about Titanfall, is it just me that is wary of review embargoes that end the day before a game releases? Makes me wonder if the publisher is banking more on hype than game quality. I don't know. That is what worried me about Thief as well and I decided not to preorder it. I wonder if the Titanfall bundle sales are being affected by the lack of review scores. Like it or not, but metacritic is very influential.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Thinking about Titanfall, is it just me that is wary of review embargoes that end the day before a game releases? Makes me wonder if the publisher is banking more on hype than game quality. I don't know. That is what worried me about Thief as well and I decided not to preorder it. I wonder if the Titanfall bundle sales are being affected by the lack of review scores. Like it or not, but metacritic is very influential.
    I would agree that there might be a problem if there wasn't the beta.

Thread Information