Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I would agree that there might be a problem if there wasn't the beta.
    Good point. Lots of exposure so far so......why the embargo?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Good point. Lots of exposure so far so......why the embargo?
    I dunno.. it doesn't make much sense, unless that is just policy now. Plenty of exposure, as you suggested, so reviews shouldn't be much different compared to what is already out there.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I dunno.. it doesn't make much sense, unless that is just policy now. Plenty of exposure, as you suggested, so reviews shouldn't be much different compared to what is already out there.
    Only thing that comes to mind is that they are worried that reviewers will knock down the score due to lack of single player.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Only thing that comes to mind is that they are worried that reviewers will knock down the score due to lack of single player.
    Which they better because if you review a single player game that just happens to have a multiplayer for fun(uncharted,tomb raider, last of us etc.) And take points off because the,multiplayer lack then you should do the same for this game. Of course that will not happen.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Which they better because if you review a single player game that just happens to have a multiplayer for fun(uncharted,tomb raider, last of us etc.) And take points off because the,multiplayer lack then you should do the same for this game. Of course that will not happen.
    I disagree. If you have a mp only game, then it should be rated for what it has... likewise, if you have a normally sp game with mp, then the entire game should be rated.

Do you think a sp only game should be docked if it doesn't have mp??? Um, no.

Let's take your scenario for a ride. So, you have a sp game with a mp "just for fun" () and the review docks points for a less than stellar mp.
    What if Titanfall adds sp to it, ya know.. just for fun. Should it be rated lower because of the less than stellar sp mode?

Forum Overseer
    no, what he was saying is that games have been docked in the past for not having a proper MP or MP at all.

while your point makes sense F34R, it would only be accurate (imo) is if that SP game or MP game is giving you content that is worth the price it charges you. especially the quality of that content...not just quantity of course.

I disagree. If you have a mp only game, then it should be rated for what it has... likewise, if you have a normally sp game with mp, then the entire game should be rated.

Let's take your scenario for a ride. So, you have a sp game with a mp "just for fun" () and the review docks points for a less than stellar mp.
    What if Titanfall adds sp to it, ya know.. just for fun. Should it be rated lower because of the less than stellar sp mode?
    SP games are quite often docked for lack of MP.

Forum Sage
    If someone docks points got a game being SP only then they shouldn't review games.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

9. Likes PS4freak likes this post

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    If someone docks points got a game being SP only then they shouldn't review games.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Agreed. I hate this mentality these days that every game should have some sort of multiplayer. Then completely ignore when a game has almost non existent SP or cookie cutter.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

12. Likes Malt likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    no, what he was saying is that games have been docked in the past for not having a proper MP or MP at all.

while your point makes sense F34R, it would only be accurate (imo) is if that SP game or MP game is giving you content that is worth the price it charges you. especially the quality of that content...not just quantity of course.
    That's a personal preference on whether to buy a game or not. It isn't something to negate the content it already provides because you want additional modes.
    Maybe a reviewer as said, "wish there was mp..."; I don't remember seeing any games actual content lose any credibility due to other modes being completely absent. i.e. SP game getting a bad review due to not have a MP mode, and vice versa.

Did Tomb Raider get docked for not having MP? Nope.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Tomb Raider does have a mp. A tacked on and crappy one but still mp.

That's a personal preference on whether to buy a game or not. It isn't something to negate the content it already provides because you want additional modes.

Maybe a reviewer as said, "wish there was mp..."; I don't remember seeing any games actual content lose any credibility due to other modes being completely absent. i.e. SP game getting a bad review due to not have a MP mode, and vice versa.

Well, it depends on the game. MP doesn't always make sense. But for games that could easily have a MP and it is left out, absolutely I have seen reviews that docked it. Same here, imo. If BF4 or COD: Ghosts didn't have a single player mode then it would get docked. Unless, of course, if the game were not sold at full price. But Titanfall is charging full price and leaving a key component out. Game reviewers should absolutely take that into account and I'm betting that is why there is an embargo.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well, it depends on the game. MP doesn't always make sense. But for games that could easily have a MP and it is left out, absolutely I have seen reviews that docked it. Same here, imo. If BF4 or COD: Ghosts didn't have a single player mode then it would get docked. Unless, of course, if the game were not sold at full price. But Titanfall is charging full price and leaving a key component out. Game reviewers should absolutely take that into account and I'm betting that is why there is an embargo.
    Which sp games were docked for not having mp?

I don't see how sp is a key component in a mp only game. If anyone has spent five minutes learning about Titanfall, there's nothing a review embargo would change.

They can charge whatever they want to charge. It's up to the consumer to make a choice. Either buy it at full price, or don't. If you want to play the mp only game, buy it. If you don't want to pay $59.99, then don't. Seems pretty easy to me.

Which sp games were docked for not having mp?
    Well, there aren't many on PS3 or 360 that I can think of. I mean just about every shooter I can think of, that isn't FTP, has both SP and MP. It was definitely an issue with the Wii where so many games left the MP off. Reviews definitely reflected it there even though the Wii wasn't MP friendly overall. Call of Duty 3 comes to mind.

I don't see how sp is a key component in a mp only game. If anyone has spent five minutes learning about Titanfall, there's nothing a review embargo would change.
    It isn't a key component. It is a missing component.

They can charge whatever they want to charge. It's up to the consumer to make a choice. Either buy it at full price, or don't. If you want to play the mp only game, buy it. If you don't want to pay $59.99, then don't. Seems pretty easy to me.
    Sure. Doesn't mean it is immune from criticism.

Forum Overseer
    it doesn't need to have additional modes...just more content and content that quantifies the cost.

and it's not the reviewer's job to give personal preferences...since we are talking about objective reviews. the reviewer's job is to tell you if it should be worth it or not. they can't guess if it is or not, to you.

SP wouldn't get the bad review but the game would get a point or a half taken off for not having one. I remember this from early last gen.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Well, there aren't many on PS3 or 360 that I can think of. I mean just about every shooter I can think of, that isn't FTP, has both SP and MP. It was definitely an issue with the Wii where so many games left the MP off. Reviews definitely reflected it there even though the Wii wasn't MP friendly overall. Call of Duty 3 comes to mind.

It isn't a key component. It is a missing component.

Sure. Doesn't mean it is immune from criticism.
    Call of Duty 3 was a sp and mp game. It was criticized for the Wii version not having the mp. It wasn't a sp game that was criticized for not having a mp component.

Find me a game that was sp only and received a lower score because mp wasn't included.

You said:
    But Titanfall is charging full price and leaving a key component out.
    Just sayin'....

sp literally can't be a missing component in a mp only game.

Price criticized, sure... no problem with that. Don't like the price, don't buy the game.

Forum Overseer
    you wanted an example:

Warhawk

"Perhaps the highest praise I can give the title is that despite Sony's concerns with overpricing a multiplayer-only game, Warhawk, lacking all single-player capabilities, is worth every bit of the full price for games of this console generation."

the game was $40 so the guy still thought it was good but he still looked at it as a negative.

"t's fun enough, but even with the headset, it's too expensive for a game that you cannot play by yourself, and its balancing issues severely limit what you can do in the game."

This guy straight up docked it for the lack of SP.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/warhawk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    you wanted an example:

Warhawk

"Perhaps the highest praise I can give the title is that despite Sony's concerns with overpricing a multiplayer-only game, Warhawk, lacking all single-player capabilities, is worth every bit of the full price for games of this console generation."

the game was $40 so the guy still thought it was good but he still looked at it as a negative.

"t's fun enough, but even with the headset, it's too expensive for a game that you cannot play by yourself, and its balancing issues severely limit what you can do in the game."

This guy straight up docked it for the lack of SP.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/warhawk
    Not sure why you quoted the first summary...

As far as that second one, from PSM lol. Puhlease...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...wk-Review-Fake

Find a different game lol.

Warhawk is a damn good example. Pricing of a MP only game was an issue.

1up

Positioning Warhawk's pricing is important for Sony, but the ripple effect has sparked debate within the 1UP Network. Sony won't tell us the pricing plans are, and as a result, EGM reviewers have been forced to include caveats in their write ups. Lead reviewer (and former OPM editor) Joe Rybicki actually placed a note in his review to EGM Reviews Editor Greg Ford that his score should be dropped a whole point if the price was announced above $30, and the other reviewers have expressed concern over how they should judge the game.

Games that took hits in their score due to lack of MP.

Motorstorm RC

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/...rm-rc-review-2

Lasting Appeal

With over 40 challenges to tackle there's a decent amount to get stuck into, plus the live leaderboards will keep you playing for longer. Shame there's no real-time online multiplayer though.
    Vanquish

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/vanquish

- No multiplayer (listed as a con)
    Mirror's Edge

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/11/...rs-edge-review

There's no true multiplayer though there are leaderboards built in to each time trial. You're never in direct competition with other people, which lessens the excitement, but the structure of the trials is still decent for what it is.
    Didn't have to go down the Wii road to find them, but there are plenty of those that took hits for not including multiplayer. Also seem to remember reviews of PSP and DS games that got dinged for it, but I'd have to google them to remember.

23. Likes Omar likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Warhawk is a damn good example. Pricing of a MP only game was an issue.

1up

Games that took hits in their score due to lack of MP.

Motorstorm RC

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/...rm-rc-review-2

Vanquish

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/vanquish

Mirror's Edge

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/11/...rs-edge-review

Didn't have to go down the Wii road to find them, but there are plenty of those that took hits for not including multiplayer. Also seem to remember reviews of PSP and DS games that got dinged for it, but I'd have to google them to remember.
    While I'd have to read the actual Warhawk reviews, and not the internal pissing and moaning, the other two weren't dinged for no mp. MS:RC and Vanquish both earned the points they got. It's not like they earned more points, and then had some taken away. There is a difference. Fair play for the time you spent on it though. Respect.

While I'd have to read the actual Warhawk reviews, and not the internal pissing and moaning, the other two weren't dinged for no mp. MS:RC and Vanquish both earned the points they got. It's not like they earned more points, and then had some taken away. There is a difference. Fair play for the time you spent on it though. Respect.
    Seriously? Ok.....no point anymore. Agreeing to disagree.

Forum Overseer
    F34R, again, the point is that if the game is worth it, it's worth it. doesn't matter if it's SP or MP only.

Speaking from a journalism point of view, Titanfall is likely going to get points docked for not having SP. that's just the reality of it...the game, to my knowledge, isn't giving anything more than other MP games and i'd even argue that it probably won't give as much content as BF4 does.

i wouldn't be surprised if lack of SP or lack of MP content is mentioned in the reviews. I can't put down $60 on an MP only game...not unless it was a huge game.

because if you're talking about how many "hours" someone is going to spend then might as well charge $60 for tetris too lol. some people have been playing that game for decades!

oh and:

Titanfall
    'Really Tough' to Market Due to Lack of Single-Player - IGN

Why Titan Fall has no single player: it's your fault

27. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Tetris was expensive when that game first came out.

Dedicated Member
    Bundles at GS ..psshh. that cannot be taken as the only indicator. I think titanfall would definitely make more people buy an xbox one than infamous ss would make people buy a ps4. As for more retail copies sold, that would go to infamous as there's a sufficiently larger ps4 base.

Thread Information