Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 7
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I don't mind paying $60 for a MP only game if I get $60 worth of playability out of it and it has to come to my standard in that case. If Battlefield 5 was polished when it released with hardly any horrible bugs in the game, that game would be worth $60 if it was MP only.

If people feel it's a worthy purchase for them, I really don't see a problem in it. Sure, the game could be cheaper, but I'm not really bothered by it.
    well yes, no one can and should argue about what someone should see worthy as. that's subjective.

but it's not a reviewer's job to say "well, this is really good and addictive, i better take no points for it being PONG! for $60!" lol.

point of a review is to give an objective point of view. ok, is the game good? alright, does it have this and that...and is it worth the money they're charging for? here, you can't just be like that it's good so it's worth it...because i can find you good games for under $5 that could be as addictive and you might even get as many hours out of it...because that's subjective to everyone.

some people may have spent over 1000 hours on Counter Strike: Global Offense (an online only game, has more than adequate amount of maps/weapons). Does that mean that Valve can charge $60 for it? depends on quality "and" quantity right?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I just don't think a reviewer should dock points for the game being $60 with only multiplayer. They can put in the written review as it's certainly an uncomfortable factor, but I don't think it's worthy enough of docking points. It would be more like saying "This game is definitely a 9/10, and while the game is amazing, the price tag is pretty high". Anything like that, not in those exact words of course, but yea. The score should be dependant on the game itself, gameplay, graphics, etc etc. You shouldn't dock points with what you think it should be.

For me it depends what I get out of the game. So if it's loaded with weapons, has a fair share of maps, etc etc then to me it's worth $60 if I can get over 200 hours of gameplay in it at the least.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 03-11-2014 at 15:43.

Forum Overseer
    I just don't think a reviewer should dock points for the game being $60 with only multiplayer. They can put in the written review as it's certainly an uncomfortable factor, but I don't think it's worthy enough of docking points. It would be more like saying "This game is definitely a 9/10, and while the game is amazing, the price tag is pretty high". Anything like that, not in those exact words of course, but yea. The score should be dependant on the game itself, gameplay, graphics, etc etc. You shouldn't dock points with what you think it should be.

For me it depends what I get out of the game. So if it's loaded with weapons, has a fair share of maps, etc etc then to me it's worth $60 if I can get over 200 hours of gameplay in it at the least.
    you misunderstand. i'm not saying that points should be docked for being an MP only game. i have been saying the opposite. it needs to depend on how much content the game provides and what quality it possesses.

i don't think getting a certain amount of hours out of it should be the reason. i played over 100 hours of Counterstrike: GO and over 100 hours of Fat Princess. I don't think that they deserve to be $60 games just because i got that many hours out of them. they are still small games that are highly addictive.

actually CS would've been a $60 game if it were new (not a remake of a game almost 2 decades old) but the point still stands. there are multiple things reviewers look at i'm sure.

what people sometimes look at is how much fun they'll get out of it. for you, it may be the amount of hours you spend on it. for someone else it might be something else, maybe more relevant to the quality.

a reviewer shouldn't pick and choose, they're not making the review for someone who is going to love the game. they're making it so that you can decide if you want to dive in or not. they have to look at everything. longevity can mean content. you can play tetris for the same amount of time that you can play the upcoming destiny for.

the point is that a reviewer could like tetris more but they need to be objective about it because not everyone likes tetris and not everyone is going to play it for the amount of time some people may.

so content needs to be looked at as well. if Titanfall has 8 maps and 20 weapons to start out with, imo it wouldn't be worth the price tag. though maybe there is more to the game (content-wise) than we can see form the surface. maybe it has multiple modes or game types. maybe it gives you an editor, maybe it has a built-in recording system. i don't know, my point is that it needs to provide features/content that would be worth the price tag.

that's the point of reviewing a game. to me, PS4 is a 10 (it's really not but let's pretend) but that may be because i don't care for the "problems" it has or the unfinished touches it has. to give a proper review, i have to consider those things and possibly take off points for it. but if the goods outweigh the bad, i can see taking point a lot less.

i hope i'm making sense so far. the argument is about "subjectivity" and "objectivity".

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    That's fine but still, it falls under being an opinion and nothing more. It's your take on it and not mine. This entire thing is no different than a console war in people saying I like this more than that.

Sufi, debating you is no different than reading a novel.

Forum Overseer
    That's fine but still, it falls under being an opinion and nothing more. It's your take on it and not mine. This entire thing is no different than a console war in people saying I like this more than that.
    of course, that's why some people like one reviewer over the other and no one is perfect. but i'll guarantee you that if the game didn't give enough content "OR" if it does give good amount of content but it's just not a good game (needless to say), points will be taken away in some reviews.

same should be said for an SP game. if Infamous doesn't have the content it needs to justify a $60 then points will likely be taken away in some of the reviewers that look at content. i would be surprised if some reviewers don't look at the amount of content but i could maybe see some being more lenient than others.
    Sufi, debating you is no different than reading a novel.
    that's my tactic. i drown people with words so they just stop responding. it works every time.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'm seeing the gaming future again( why can't it be the lottery numbers).

If the xbox outsells the ps4 and titanfall outsells infamous, it will be looked at as expected.

Now IF things go the other way around...

Be prepared to hear xbox one is doomed and see a lot of TitanFail jokes.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

7. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I'm seeing the gaming future again( why can't it be the lottery numbers).

If the xbox outsells the ps4 and titanfall outsells infamous, it will be looked at as expected.

Now IF things go the other way around...

Be prepared to hear xbox one is doomed and see a lot of TitanFail jokes.
    In my opinion a mp only game with no story is a fail at conception. Great for the casual gamer who just plays cod bf mp not good for the rest of the gamers.

tapatalk post
    Last edited by thanatos144; 03-15-2014 at 23:36.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    In my opinion a mp only game with no story is a fail at conception. Great for the casual gamer who just plays cod bf mp not good for the rest of the gamers.

tapatalk post
    PlanetSide 2 and Team Fortress 2?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

same should be said for an SP game. if Infamous doesn't have the content it needs to justify a $60 then points will likely be taken away in some of the reviewers that look at content. i would be surprised if some reviewers don't look at the amount of content but i could maybe see some being more lenient than others.
    that's my tactic. i drown people with words so they just stop responding. it works every time.
    why wouldn't iss have a lot of content?
    we've only seen a small percentage of what the game has to offer. i like sp approach to showing as little as possible.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Where in my post was I ambivalent? Sure there is a audience. Hell I have a brain dead 17 year old son who loves crap like this but even he doesn't want to pay 60 bucks for nothing more then a couple of maps

tapatalk post

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Planet Side 2 is an MMO and not for casuals, so not sure the point there, Team Fortress 2 didn't sell as a stand alone title at first (only on Mac it did), it came with 4 other (very lengthy) SP games and never sold for such a high price as a stand-alone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    why wouldn't iss have a lot of content?
    we've only seen a small percentage of what the game has to offer. i like sp approach to showing as little as possible.
    i didn't say that it doesn't. i'm saying that it would get points taken off if it didn't provide enough content.
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Where in my post was I ambivalent? Sure there is a audience. Hell I have a brain dead 17 year old son who loves crap like this but even he doesn't want to pay 60 bucks for nothing more then a couple of maps

tapatalk post
    ok i'm sorry, for a second i thought you actually had a brain dead 17 year old.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Planet Side 2 is an MMO and not for casuals, so not sure the point there, Team Fortress 2 didn't sell as a stand alone title at first (only on Mac it did), it came with 4 other (very lengthy) SP games and never sold for such a high price as a stand-alone anyway.
    Not in the traditional sense. Regardless it being "not for casuals" was part of my point.

Your comments about TF2 has nothing to do with what's being said.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 03-16-2014 at 01:35.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Overseer
    was it not an answer to this part of his post? "In my opinion a mp only game with no story is a fail at conception."

Thread Information