Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    I've heard this whole thing is cyclical. So nothing to worry about for SSM as a whole.

Doesn't make it any less sucky for those, and at least MS is trying to give some of them jobs (as per Sub's thread).
    It is cyclical, but usually after game has launched....

In mid dev and canceling just means one less game.

However, some companies literally just "lay off" workers to hire more qualified ones. GM among others do this alot. They just lay off 10 percent and hire that 10 percent right back.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Still would've been nice to see. I think I hate the whole 'cancelling' thing. I'd rather them put it on hold and/or offload them to another team.
    If the game didn't have much financial sense, i don't see why not?

Although, I would have much preferred those people put to better work than laid off.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I thought ND and SSM were the studios that were always safe from layoffs no matter how bad things got for sony. Guess not.

Meanwhile the japan studios *coughTeamICOcough* havent produce a single game all last gen while soaking up sony's money

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    I thought ND and SSM were the studios that were always safe from layoffs no matter how bad things got for sony. Guess not.

Meanwhile the japan studios *coughTeamICOcough* havent produce a single game all last gen while soaking up sony's money
    I have to agree with this. I don't know much about this stuff, but TeamICO hasn't done diddly $#@!. How they are still around at all is beyond me.

Naughty Dog and Santa Monica...even though they might have had an excess of ppl...still probably could have used said ppl if they are making as many games as they are during a generation.

From what I know, ND made 3 Uncharted games and LtoU and SM made 3 GoW games. Again, if I'm wrong on any of this or if there's something I'm missing, that's fine, but wtf has TeamICO done?

Apprentice
    This what happens with contractors. It's normal.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    This what happens with contractors. It's normal.
    Its not really "normal" to have a game cancelled.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its not really "normal" to have a game cancelled.
    In concept stage, yes it is. It's the fundamental aspect of the Cerny Method. If you can't make it work properly, solidly in a vertical slice. You are better off cancelling the project and cutting your losses, moving on, rather than going deeper down the rabbit hole.

He may be the xbox fans' ultimate nemsis now, but the man knows a thing or two about managing game development and production. He literally revolutionised the game dev industry with this speech.

8. Likes K2D , Admartian likes this post
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    In concept stage, yes it is. It's the fundamental aspect of the Cerny Method. If you can't make it work properly, solidly in a vertical slice. You are better off cancelling the project and cutting your losses, moving on, rather than going deeper down the rabbit hole.

He may be the xbox fans' ultimate nemsis now, but the man knows a thing or two about managing game development and production. He literally revolutionised the game dev industry with this speech.

I fully agree.

Otherwise, MS wouldn't have cancelled that Black Tusk project like three times before giving them Gears of War. MS should not be giving their exclusive to such weak studio, but that is story for another time.

However, still Sony should have used those employees for other projects before laying off. Perhaps, they saw the work done on the IP as their performance review and maybe it wasnt good?

Master Sage
    Not sure if this had been posted yet.

we’re lead to believe the choice to divert Santa Monica’s project away from Destiny comparisons lead to somewhat troubled development, the studio unable to fully get the project back on course, ultimately culminating in its cancellation.
    http://www.rocketchainsaw.com.au/exc...-new-ip-00912/

Game was rumoured to be too similar to Destiny but obviously not as good so got canned.

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    lay-offs suck, but truth be told I'm happy that their sci-fi game is cancelled. I never wanted to see a sci-fi game from them.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Well could be some people who got laid of were making that Sci-Fi game.
    Playing - Legend of Heroes:Trails Of The Sky (Steam),Persona 4 Golden,Ys Memories Of Celceta
    Awaiting - Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Ys
    Next, Tales of Zestiria, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    The thing is, the team was too large! PD is only about 150 man deep and yet they produce million dollar selling products, naughty dogs are not that large either compared to SSM. Since gow2 what have they done? How many games have they put out? With a studio that big, you would think they would have been shunning out more games than other Sony studios. So like I said earlier the fat had to be trimmed no matter how you look at it. I didn't see these members that are so concerned in the irrational games closing (not a canceled game or a couple of lay off...an entire studio got shut down!) thread $#@!ing about the industry.

I'm pretty sure the people fired will bounce back even better...Sony green lights more games (new ip) than the other two console manufacturer's

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 02-27-2014 at 05:12.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    lay-offs suck, but truth be told I'm happy that their sci-fi game is cancelled. I never wanted to see a sci-fi game from them.
    Wow thats selfish

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Wow thats selfish
    lol true. i would've liked seeing that game regardless.

PSU Live Streamer
    source

Interesting if true...

EXCLUSIVE: SCE Santa Monica’s Layoffs, Sci-Fi IP, and God of War

As you’ve no doubt heard by now courtesy of IGN and a statement from Sony Computer Entertainment, SCE subsidiary “Santa Monica Studio” has been hit by a round of layoffs. According to reports, such as statements from ex-staff, the lay-offs sit at around 50 personnel and include the cancellation of a new IP.

While not an earth shattering revelation, Rocket Chainsaw has been in contact with multiple sources close to the situation to get a better idea of whowas laid off, the studio’s future, as well as the cancelled IP.

According to our sources, a majority of layoffs consist of key staff that were working on Santa Monica’s new IP, the project now more or less scrapped into oblivion. While details on the project are scarce, we’ve been told it was a science fiction title not all that far removed from Bungie and Activision’s Destiny, and a very large project at the studio, with sources expressing very positive enthusiasm for the project’s vision and potential. We’ve also been told that after Destiny was formally revealed parts of Santa Monica’s sci-fi project underwent rather significant changes, the original vision apparently quite similar to what Bungie is cooking up, changes applied to distance the two. Based on information supplied, we’re lead to believe the choice to divert Santa Monica’s project away from Destiny comparisons lead to somewhat troubled development, the studio unable to fully get the project back on course, ultimately culminating in its cancellation.

As for Santa Monica’s future, sources reveal that Sony’s prime objective with staff remaining from the now cancelled sci-fi IP is to move them over to development on a next generation God of War (among other things), set to launch at some point on PlayStation 4. While the move is hardly unsurprising, given the expectation that Sony would not abandon one of its most popular intellectual properties, we’re told a number of ex-scifi IP staff moved over aren’t happy about the change and are lamenting the loss of their original project.

Rocket Chainsaw will attempt to uncover more about the cancelled sci-fi project, and report any discoveries in the near future.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    It could very well be better to can a project too similar to another. However, it's unfortunate they're going with ANOTHER God of War title instead of a new IP. If that is the case.

Forum Overseer
    yea i would rather see a new game by them than another GOW.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    A sad week for sci-fi enthusiasts. Their team had a writer from BSG, will never know if that ever would have amounted to much.. Isn't long ago that we lost 1313 either..

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    A sad week for sci-fi enthusiasts. Their team had a writer from BSG, will never know if that ever would have amounted to much.. Isn't long ago that we lost 1313 either..
    We are a dying breed sadly. At least their is a Mass Effect to look forward to.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-27-2014 at 20:18.

Thread Information