Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony's PS4 VR headset could blow Oculus Rift out the water

Sony's PS4 VR headset could blow Oculus Rift out the water

Another clue from speculation station

By Hugh Langley February 5th
    0 COMMENTS

Come on, Sony, we know you're hiding it somewhereRelated stories

Evidence of Sony's PS4 virtual reality headset is beginning to mount up.
    First came word of the HMD's existence from an inside source last year. Then a key Sony exec said that he'd heard a VR helmet was in the works.
    Now, another source has come forward to Road to VR and claimed to have tried Sony's HMD. The source is completely unverified, so there's no guarantee that any of this is true. Got that? Ok, continue.
    According to the unnamed insider, Sony's headset has a field of view to rival the Oculus Rift's first iteration but with a "much higher resolution".
    The HMD apparently sports two glowing orbs, which it uses along with a camera (we're assuming the PS4 camera) to track the user's head movement.
    Sony likes to move it, move it

Things get a little more interesting in the next bit. The source also claims that he or she attended Valve's recent Steam Dev Days where they tookValve's own headset out for a spin – and found that it was very comparable with Sony's.
    That's interesting because Valve's prototype is reportedly even better than Oculus, although it's just a concept product unintended for market – likely because it would be too expensive.
    Sony's, on the other hand, would assumedly be for consumers and therefore a potential threat to Oculus Rift if it really is this good.
    But bear in mind that Sony would likely be releasing its HMD for the PS4 while the Rift is going for PC players so the chances are it still won't be a direct rival.
    Finally, the source said that Sony had intended to reveal its headset by now, but technical issues have held it back.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...-water-1221791

PS4 could be shaping up to be "Not just another next-gen" console with the introduction of proper VR. This is an awfully bold claim to make considering Oculus Rift is very good technology.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I think Sony would do much better in backing up VR compared to OR and that's because they have the studios to make the games in which to support it.

3. Likes mini E likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    We shall soon find out when they eventually reveal it lol
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    If it's as good or better than the Oculus I will be getting both then! It would be fun to play a lot of games on the PS4 with the headset and for the PC I must experience Star Citizen in full VR, I loved Wing Commander back in the day, and since that game is being made with the Oculus in mind it is going to blow me away the first time I play it!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

PSU Technical Advisor
    Even if this headset is amazing I don't see its implementation on the PS4 being anything to take seriously. Look, I like my next gen consoles as much as the next guy- but Oculus made the remark that these machines simply do not have the necessary grunt to really pull off the quality of VR they're shooting for. It takes alot of power, more than even many PC gamers have.

Hell, even if BF4 supported Oculus I couldn't really support it on anything higher than medium settings. Maybe. That's with 12GB of Corsair 1600 triple channel DDR3 , i7 Quad and a GTX670 FTW. I could probably pull it off with Skyrim I suppose.

Point I'm making is, the games that would use this tech (exclusives) would have to look like total dog$#@! to pull VR off convincingly. The Oculus Rift is supposed to be "at least" 1920x1080p when it releases, and to really be compelling it needs to be 120fps iirc.

Show of hands if anyone present things that's going to happen on the PS4 or even most gaming PC's with graphics cranked up.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 02-26-2014 at 14:27.

7. Likes Admartian , mini E likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    IDK if I will buy it, but we'll see.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    They'll have to make a REALLY big splash in the market for me to go out on a limb and buy one of these. Either having a couple of AAA games OR them garnering support on PC..

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Overseer
    i'm so confused at this point. i thought they were working on Oculus Rift

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Occulus Rift is not Sony. In fact I heard recently they ran out of resources to produce the hardware. Sony shouldn't encounter that issue. If they do this right, it could kill the XBone.

Forum Overseer
    Is that id guy making oculus rift? last time i saw it, he had to tape the equipment for it to work lol.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Even if this headset is amazing I don't see its implementation on the PS4 being anything to take seriously. Look, I like my next gen consoles as much as the next guy- but Oculus made the remark that these machines simply do not have the necessary grunt to really pull off the quality of VR they're shooting for. It takes alot of power, more than even many PC gamers have.

Hell, even if BF4 supported Oculus I couldn't really support it on anything higher than medium settings. Maybe. That's with 12GB of Corsair 1600 triple channel DDR3 , i7 Quad and a GTX670 FTW. I could probably pull it off with Skyrim I suppose.

Point I'm making is, the games that would use this tech (exclusives) would have to look like total dog$#@! to pull VR off convincingly. The Oculus Rift is supposed to be "at least" 1920x1080p when it releases, and to really be compelling it needs to be 120fps iirc.

Show of hands if anyone present things that's going to happen on the PS4 or even most gaming PC's with graphics cranked up.
    Games would need a visual downgrade to get the VR effect so PS3 graphics most likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonViking View Post
    Occulus Rift is not Sony. In fact I heard recently they ran out of resources to produce the hardware. Sony shouldn't encounter that issue. If they do this right, it could kill the XBone.
    Yes for the first dev kit not the new one which uses different parts.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    regardless of it being better or comparable to Oculus Rift, the price HAS to be right. I think OR is aiming around $300 retail (that was last year, not sure if that has changed), that price will not work for Sony and console gamers. $100 to $150 is possible the max for mass adoption, provided it also pack in an intro game made for VR experience.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    regardless of it being better or comparable to Oculus Rift, the price HAS to be right. I think OR is aiming around $300 retail (that was last year, not sure if that has changed), that price will not work for Sony and console gamers. $100 to $150 is possible the max for mass adoption, provided it also pack in an intro game made for VR experience.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

16. Likes mini E likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    It won't be that cheap. Price will be comparable to PC monitors or living room tv's.. I.e the price won't be 100-150 $.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol 100-150 for a VR hmd? Lmao not gonna happen. I expect this thing to be 250-300. Highest 450

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

19. Likes mini E likes this post
    Super Elite
    well that's the talk about this new VR headset, we shall see.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by x_terna View Post
    well that's the talk about this new VR headset, we shall see.

That would be SICK!

Master Guru
    I don't know anything about headsets yet but i'm going to need something soon. Whatever that monstrosity is that came with the PS4 isn't going to cut it.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I don't know anything about headsets yet but i'm going to need something soon. Whatever that monstrosity is that came with the PS4 isn't going to cut it.
    yea it looks well built but i don't know why the heck they had to make the buds so freaking huge. i usually like to jam them in my ears (shut up, it's not gross), and that thing was too big for my ears and too small for the outer part. maybe i just have weird ears. it would never fit in them.

i don't know much about headsets either but i'd suggest the official wireless PS4 ones that just came out. you can control the volume of the game and chat separately, so it's made for games.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    That would be SICK!
    Seriously, that's probably the only reason I can come up with as to why it keeps getting delayed. To launch at the same time as the Headset.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    So red and black is a no no,

i am in

Sent by using my fingers. How else can you
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style

Actually it does have the grunt work. Hook up oculus to the PC and the PC handles the grunt work. The same goes with the PS4, it would handle the grunt work. If the headsets were completely separate and ran by themselves or something, that is understandable on it not performing well. To be honest, there isn't an excuse on poor graphics for either OR or Sony's VR headset since all they are is a motion sensor camera with a screen to make you feel like your in the game. The cpu and gpu power is already handled by the PC or in this case PS4.

Superior Member
    Items YunaPlayStation
    ophtalmologists will be rich thanks to these techs, this will cause eye problems and migraines
    and I severely doubt it will help game immersion anyway

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Actually it does have the grunt work. Hook up oculus to the PC and the PC handles the grunt work. The same goes with the PS4, it would handle the grunt work. If the headsets were completely separate and ran by themselves or something, that is understandable on it not performing well. To be honest, there isn't an excuse on poor graphics for either OR or Sony's VR headset since all they are is a motion sensor camera with a screen to make you feel like your in the game. The cpu and gpu power is already handled by the PC or in this case PS4.
    You completely misunderstood my post.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    You completely misunderstood my post.
    then could you elaborate? I don't see how I misunderstood your post.

Thread Information