Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,558
    Rep Power
    80
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

    Microsoft reaching out to former Sony Santa Monica studio employees

    nice of them to do this.


    https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/438486097295720448
    Yards@GGhalid 14h
    @XboxP3 With IG closing SSM lay offs, MS should be able to scoop up a lot of talent for BT and new studios, don't you agree, Phil?



    @GGhalid Like the #helpDEVS tag. Keep that one going. We've reached out and are engaged in hiring.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,023
    Rep Power
    151
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I am sure a lot of studios are reaching out to those former employees.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,072
    Rep Power
    169
    Company lays off employees and another company hires them. Happens every day. lol

  4. #4
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,558
    Rep Power
    80
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Company lays off employees and another company hires them. Happens every day. lol
    its still nice of them to look into hiring some of those people though. I hope they all get hired somewhere if not with MS.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,023
    Rep Power
    151
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    its still nice of them to look into hiring some of those people though. I hope they all get hired somewhere if not with MS.
    Nice of them? lol they would be lucky to land these employees. Any studio will be thankful if these guys choose them. Not the other way around.

  6. Likes Admartian , K2D , mistercrow likes this post
  7. #6
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,558
    Rep Power
    80
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Nice of them? lol they would be lucky to land these employees. Any studio will be thankful if these guys choose them. Not the other way around.
    i think it goes both ways. Studios need talent and devs/employees need financial backing. I'm sure they will get hired but supporting a family comes before everything else.

  8. #7
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,879
    Rep Power
    118
    Items User name style
    Go to Ms and then relegated to making kinect shovelware? We'll see

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  9. Likes Julz likes this post
  10. #8
    Wibbly Wobbly
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,301
    Rep Power
    136
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Goodthat the ones laid off have an opportunity.

    BUt as Lethal said, the ball is usually on their court for these thigns (much like free agent athletes). Yes it's a 2 way situation, but the vast majority of leverage or choice is ultimately up to the developer/talent.
    Be Together - Not the same.



  11. #9
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,144
    Rep Power
    118
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    This is PR. Taking it to twitter? Come on.








  12. #10
    Sonata Dusk
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,219
    Rep Power
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    i think it goes both ways. Studios need talent and devs/employees need financial backing. I'm sure they will get hired but supporting a family comes before everything else.
    It's a bit of both. It's good that MS is trying to give these guys a job. They do have families to feed. But this isn't a charity either; MS wants them because they want their talent and skills available for use. They're not there to pick them up off their asses.

  13. #11
    Super Elite
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,310
    Rep Power
    75
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I hope the ones laid of stick together and help each other out. Not everyone's gonna get hired and as far as I know, there isn't any kind of union in the gaming industry.





  14. #12
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,144
    Rep Power
    118
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It's a bit of both. It's good that MS is trying to give these guys a job. They do have families to feed. But this isn't a charity either; MS wants them because they want their talent and skills available for use. They're not there to pick them up off their asses.
    Yep. And let's not pretend that MS is coming to the rescue of every person that was laid off. MS is going to do what any company will do.....recruit and hire people that will be of benefit to MS. And when/if MS decides to go in another direction, the will lay off people just like they have before.

    Just another day in the gaming dev world.








  15. #13
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,558
    Rep Power
    80
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It's a bit of both. It's good that MS is trying to give these guys a job. They do have families to feed. But this isn't a charity either; MS wants them because they want their talent and skills available for use. They're not there to pick them up off their asses.
    exactly, and they need a job and want to get paid. Money is money and having security may take priority for most people. They still are doing what they love to do which is making games.

  16. #14
    Apprentice
    Julz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    183
    Rep Power
    55
    Phil Harrison was only the first AGENT.


    New minions must now spread their wings and infiltrate every level of MS.

  17. #15
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,878
    Rep Power
    131
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They are being head hunted. ITs what happens when you are good at your job.

  18. #16
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,248
    Rep Power
    78
    Sony fired them so they go work elsewhere. That how it usually goes. Whatever pays the bills and feeds their families. I wish them all the best.

    Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  19. #17
    Forum Elder
    Venger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Posts
    2,705
    Rep Power
    79
    Items User name style
    This kind of stuff happens in the development community all the time, I'm not sure why either side of this story is really news. Dev teams grow during the product cycle, then typically get trimmed back heavily as a new project starts development. Dev's can't afford to keep those huge teams around when they aren't doing anything. Microsoft is probably one of dozens if not hundreds of devs at different stages of development who could use some of these people, they certainly aren't rescuing anyone, they certainly aren't alone, and this likely isn't the first time.

    The only real news here is that Sony cancelled a long in development game, likely for very cynical business reasons, and a dev team that is generally considered one of the best is still reeling from release a poor game. Honestly, Ascension was very disappointing, it should never have been made, and maybe instead they wouldn't be canning a different game.

  20. #18
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,187
    Rep Power
    20
    Items User name style
    happens all the time, big deal.

  21. #19
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,023
    Rep Power
    151
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Sony fired them so they go work elsewhere. That how it usually goes. Whatever pays the bills and feeds their families. I wish them all the best.

    Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Being fired is not the same thing as being laid off.

  22. #20
    Veteran
    faaeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    .....pss..behind you
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,248
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Being fired is not the same thing as being laid off.
    To me it is the same thing.
    You get fired? You lose your job and need to find a new one.
    You get laid off? You lose your job and need to find a new one.
    XD

    The only difference is the legalities of why you lost your job. Whether its your fault or no fault of your own. Either way, you lost your job.
    Last edited by faaeng; 02-28-2014 at 15:45.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------


  23. #21
    Counting Mod
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    14,340
    Rep Power
    153
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    its still nice of them to look into hiring some of those people though. I hope they all get hired somewhere if not with MS.
    Seriously. Nice of them? No more like smart. You try to hire employees of your biggest competitors studio that is known for making high quality titles. It's a business move not a charitable contribution. It sucks that they lost their jobs but it's not like MS is riding in on a white horse saying I'll save you! More like hey want a job. We could use your talents and knowledge. You know every day hiring decision. Just like a sports team picking up a player that a division rival couldn't afford to keep.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 02-28-2014 at 16:48.


  24. #22
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,072
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    its still nice of them to look into hiring some of those people though. I hope they all get hired somewhere if not with MS.
    Nice of them? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Go to Ms and then relegated to making kinect shovelware? We'll see

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    I seriously wouldn't doubt it.

  25. #23
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,558
    Rep Power
    80
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Seriously. Nice of them? No more like smart. You try to hire employees of your biggest competitors studio that is known for making high quality titles. It's a business move not a charitable contribution. It sucks that they lost their jobs but it's not like MS is riding in on a white horse saying I'll save you! More like hey want a job. We could use your talents and knowledge. You know every day hiring decision. Just like a sports team picking up a player that a division rival couldn't afford to keep.

    it is a business move just like it was to lay them them off. I think it's a decent thing to do regardless of what game they made prior.

  26. #24
    Community and Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,144
    Rep Power
    118
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    it is a business move just like it was to lay them them off. I think it's a decent thing to do regardless of what game they made prior.
    Apparently, MS thought it would be good PR as well.








  27. #25
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,558
    Rep Power
    80
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Apparently, MS thought it would be good PR as well.
    i think he just replied to a tweet about it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.