Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Xbox One Is Great for Microsoft

looking forward to future of xb1. I hope they at least match the success of the xbox360.
    Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ) has no plans to give up the console battle, and the company seems to be doing great. Sony's (NYSE: SNE) latest news reports peg PlayStation 4 sales at 5.3 million, well ahead of Microsoft's Xbox One. Sony's sleek console has been ahead of Xbox sales in nearly every market, and the latest robust sale numbers have had many claiming the Xbox One is a total failure and a dangerous investment for Microsoft. Some have even suggested Microsoft hand the whole gaming segment over to someone else as part of Nadella's new leadership package.
    But after a closer look, you'll see that the numbers don't support the sensation. On Feb. 18, Microsoft rose by $0.28 to $37.63, one of the best components of an otherwise dreary Dow. It wasn't exactly a big loss, and certainly not a big reaction against Sony's news, which came out during the same time frame.
    The binary mistake
    The doom and gloom over the Xbox One is due in large part to the mistake of thinking in binary terms, of looking at this as a console battle between Sony and Microsoft with one winner and one loser. It's a tempting dichotomy, but it's also ridiculous. Microsoft and Sony, despite surface similarities, are two very different companies, and pitting the two consoles against one another leads misconceptions.

The Xbox One was a great move for Microsoft, has been a huge success, and positively impacts share prices. The PS4 has sold more units, primarily because it's priced $100 less, released in more markets, and fueled by a more rabid fan base. Although Xbox buyers have been quieter, their actions have been far from depressing.
    The Xbox 360, an undeniably successful console, sold 1.5 million units during its first months after release. The Xbox One, in comparison, sold twice as many (3 million) in the same markets and in a similar time frame, but eight years later and after a recession. The MSRP for the Xbox One (with the Kinect peripheral) is approximately $28 higher than the manufacturing cost, while the MSRP for the PS4 is only $18 higher. Technically, both still sell at a loss, but this may give the Xbox One a slightly larger cushion regarding revenue from software sales.
    According to Microsoft, the company is leading U.S. software sales, evidenced in January when it sold 2.27 million units, or about 47% of the total market share. Microsoft's 2013 annual revenue was $24.5 billion, an increase of 14.3% from 2012. Net income grew 2.8%, and the devices and consumer hardware segment grew by 68.4% to $4.7 billion.
    Microsoft's big sellers, like Titanfall, have yet to be released and will drive new interest and sales for the console in the coming months. The new console may also be responsible for collateral results. Bing ad sales have grown, as has its search engine share, which is now at 18.2%.
    Additionally, Microsoft has shown a willingness to cut prices to attract more sales, slashing game prices by $20 for a February sale and updating its software to meet the latest demands. Nadella has his work cut out for him, but the console business is clearly a bright spot, not a pitfall.
    Final thoughts
    It might be easy to label the Xbox One as a failure and crown Sony the console wars winner. But, the figures and the stock activity do not make Microsoft look like a loser -- far from it. The company's games division is a success, has tremendous potential for future income, and isn't going anywhere. This console war is actually a win-win.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...microsoft.aspx

Friendship is Carrots
    I haven't seen anyone say the Xbox One is actually bad for Microsft, only that it's falling behind the PS4 in many categories and Microsoft is failing to beat it in sales.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

3. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Is this one of those "it will be okay" threads? Nintendo forums are filled with these very types of threads regarding the Wii U.

Like Rapture said, nobody said the XB1 was bad for Microsoft...

5. Likes Serinous , Admartian , Nerevar likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I know it is an opinion-piece, but it is weird how he refers to Microsoft's overall performance as evidence of success of a single product. It is like he is saying the Xbox One is responsible for every key financial statistic (Net income, annual revenue, even a single day stock price increase) for the entire company. Xbox One did all that?! sigh.....nope, just like Xbox One didn't sell 2.27 million units of software by itself (thank you, 360).
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

7. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Is this one of those "it will be okay" threads? Nintendo forums are filled with these very types of threads regarding the Wii U.

Like Rapture said, nobody said the XB1 was bad for Microsoft...
    not in those exact words but there is plenty of talk about the brand itself bringing them down. At least is sounds like its implied.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Lol.

Posting an opinion piece from a stock-picker website? Nice one.

Author also wrote one for Sony, for anyone interested

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...n-pc-news.aspx

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Is this one of those "it will be okay" threads? Nintendo forums are filled with these very types of threads regarding the Wii U. Like Rapture said, nobody said the XB1 was bad for Microsoft...
    lol I was about to say the same thing. Whats with all these "reassurance" threads in the Xbone section today? lol

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    not in those exact words but there is plenty of talk about the brand itself bringing them down. At least is sounds like its implied.
    Those are gamers talking. Microsoft failed them, because Microsoft isn't giving core games the proper focus, and has made some worrisome mistakes with the XB1. The XB1 may very well be a profitable endeavor on Microsoft's part, but as a gaming machine it's either a disappointment or a on its way to failure. (as many think)

I believe Microsoft has time to change people's opinions, but they need to act sooner than later. They need things playing back to their favor probably before the end of this year to have any real chance.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It was implied, and for valid reasons (news outlet), that stock holders wanted to rid the xbox division. No one HERE implied it on a personal level, if you can prove me wrong with actual quotes from psu members, then I will gladly retract my statement.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    XB1 is doing way better than the 360 did in the same time frame. That is good for Microsoft.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    It was implied, and for valid reasons (news outlet), that stock holders wanted to rid the xbox division. No one HERE implied it on a personal level, if you can prove me wrong with actual quotes from psu members, then I will gladly retract my statement.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk
    lol... I can but I won't. The thread isn't about personal feelings.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    XB1 is doing way better than the 360 did in the same time frame. That is good for Microsoft.
    Really? I'm really surprised by that. As around launch there was definitely better feeling towards the 360 (and in general throughout the 360 lifespan) than there has been for the One... and I mean the 'feeling' from press and my friends and other non quantifiable data like that..

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I know it is an opinion-piece, but it is weird how he refers to Microsoft's overall performance as evidence of success of a single product. It is like he is saying the Xbox One is responsible for every key financial statistic (Net income, annual revenue, even a single day stock price increase) for the entire company. Xbox One did all that?! sigh.....nope, just like Xbox One didn't sell 2.27 million units of software by itself (thank you, 360).
    A lot of people that are just into the Xbox think this actually. Hell, there was a guy at gamestop the other day that thought this and actually thought that if the Xbox loses money they will still let it float within the company because they make so much more money in other branches. It's one of those "repulsive disorders" and yes, I said repulsive.

PSU Technical Advisor
    How much is Microsoft paying you?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    A lot of people that are just into the Xbox think this actually. Hell, there was a guy at gamestop the other day that thought this and actually thought that if the Xbox loses money they will still let it float within the company because they make so much more money in other branches. It's one of those "repulsive disorders" and yes, I said repulsive.
    well, they've done it before. xbox wasn't always profitable.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    They won't keep on doing it. There is a difference between revenue and actual profit sales, if they aren't making a profit and some point with this system here, consider this the last. To you though it wouldn't matter, this is your last console anyways. lol

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Doing better than the 360, if we are talking hardware sold, wouldn't have actually been that difficult to pull off :P. MS had VERY few units ready for sale for the 360 launch, have memories of the 300k number been thrown around either for one region or split between the EU launch countries.( looking up numbers, yeah was maybe 350K ready for launch.) Is actually probably why the X1 has gone as well as it has because MS learnt to have manufacturing nailed down and a good supply ready for launch.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Not gonna lie, of course it is good for MS, but its not kicking ass as they thought it would be

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Forum Overseer
    The Xbox One was a great move for Microsoft, has been a huge success, and positively impacts share prices. The PS4 has sold more units, primarily because it's priced $100 less, released in more markets, and fueled by a more rabid fan base. Although Xbox buyers have been quieter, their actions have been far from depressing.
    i guess you can turn around anything. way to go. kaching kaching.

let me reiterate:

X1

+ great move for MS
    + huge success
    + positively impacts share prices

PS4

+ sold more units
    - because it's $100 less
    - released in more markets
    - fueled by rabid fanboys

gotcha lol. if you look closely, you can tell that it's a heavily biased (likely a paid) review.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-03-2014 at 15:16.

Thread Information