Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Apprentice
    my Ipad cost more then 500$ you might want to save your money and get something better. My sony Vaio cost almost 2 grand and runs perfect, no problems at all runs smooth on heavy use.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Yes, the first one is too high. The second one is too slow; I am looking for at the very least a 2 GHZ. Also, like you said, it does not have a CD drive.
    As Rapture said, clock frequency in our day and age has about as much relevance as the clock frequency of a GPU. ie, more or less useless outside of 'like' processor families. FX-8350's clock upto 4GHz, yet still get outperformed by 2.5GHz i5's for example.

Another thing to remember is your storage medium. Laptop HDD's are slow as balls. really, i don't think they go any slower. A 50.00GHz CPU wont make a HDD get your data faster. Most ultrabooks come with small amounts of flash memory for the OS. And flash memory is more or less instant access (not to be confused with RAM)
    This kinda goes with what i said earlier about really big laptop drives. When you start to fill it up, it will get slower and slower.

If you really can't see yourself using it without a CD drive then Sylar probably has the better deal (however, check reviews for signs of unreliability).

That being said, if you're gunna use it for what you've said (nothing intensive). i'd still go straight up ultrabook - especially if you're gunna cart it to school and classes.

CD drives are more or less obsolete and having them onboard makes the Laptop bigger, heavier, use more power, and noisy....plus adds one more thing to go wrong....

Ultimately though, the choice is yours. just figured i'd add 2c worth of info here

NOTE: Ultrabooks are a bridge between Tablets and Laptops.

p.s, I use a SurfaceRT for my uni classes. Lugging a Laptop around got tedious...then there were the boot times
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

3. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Hey peoples,

I know this thread is old, but what about an Apple Ipad? My questions are: Would I be able to print? How would I type? Can it use Microsoft Word?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Hey peoples,

I know this thread is old, but what about an Apple Ipad? My questions are: Would I be able to print? How would I type? Can it use Microsoft Word?
    You need a new printer that is capable of Apple Airport.

My personal opinion is ipad/tablets are great companion devices, but you'd go nuts trying to use them as a primary computer.
    Also no to word unless you have something like Office 365 web apps.

6. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    If you're used to Windows then you should stick to Windows. The hardware is also usually cheaper and better.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    You need a new printer that is capable of Apple Airport.

My personal opinion is ipad/tablets are great companion devices, but you'd go nuts trying to use them as a primary computer.
    Also no to word unless you have something like Office 365 web apps.
    Pretty much. Even if one uses a tablet primarily, there's always that ONE thing you NEED to do that requires (or is 100% more efficient with m & k) a desktop type of O/S.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Yeah, I wouldn't go tablet over a laptop.

I also wouldn't pay for a cheap laptop. Save the money, by something reliable.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Hey peoples,

As a rule of thumb, tablets and mobile devices are meant for 'consuming' content and not producing it. The only device in this category that bucks this trend is the Surface Pro.

Dedicated Member
    Yeah, consider Vaio out, it's already bought by Japan Industrial Partners.

It's still SONY Vaio quality, but, yeah, support will be sketchy.

I'd go with Toshiba.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Not sure I'd honestly trust laptops.

my mother has a $800+ Laptop (That was more when it wasnt on sale) and the cooling fan has died for a SECOND TIME for no reason. She already sent it to HP to be fixed.. the thing isn't even two years old yet.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The Samsung 15.6" lappy my wife uses is quality. I mean, QUALITY. It was $999. My Gateway P6860 is freakin' almost seven years old now, and is trucking like it was brand new.
    If you want something that you will use a lot, and last, spend the money on it. I'll keep banging that drum lol.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Hey peoples,

Refer to the bold part in Vulgotha's post, plus the bit i added at the end of mine above.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    As a rule of thumb, tablets and mobile devices are meant for 'consuming' content and not producing it. The only device in this category that bucks this trend is the Surface Pro.
    Windows 8 was made for tablets, and not Desktops. And as a Tablet OS, Sufrace is unrivalled.

SurfaceRT and Surface Pro are amazing for students! It's Windows in your pocket!

-SurfaceRT comes with Office pre-installed, but only runs apps made for it (no chrome browser, firefox etc unless made specific)
    -Surface Pro is a mini Windows and runs just about anything the desktop can (even games - though performance isn't stellar).

As i said at the end of my post, i ditched my laptop for a SurfaceRT and i can't imagine not ever using it. Skydrive syncs files to the cloud. So all my work i do in uni can be accessed on my desktop and i can seamlessly work between them....or just work on the device itself.

You can use mouses, printers, keyboards, bluetooth....anything Windows normally can do can be done from the tablet. My cannon printer has an app in the store, when installing drivers for it also downloaded the app. I can see ink levels, printer queue, network IP, etc.

I would recommend the Pro version, personally. For me, I knew i'd end up putting my PS1 games + emulator on it so i put an artificial block of sorts and got RT
    Otherwise my productivity would have dropped during the more boring lectures (3 fudging hours! >_<)

Don't get an Ipad. Such an overpriced tablet imo. compatible with nothing, nothing no ports going into it.....Did i mention the Surface has USB port, and a Macro HDMI port for dual screening?

NOTE: If you don't have a desktop i would probably say to get a Laptop. Surface doesn't have what you'd call a "BIG" hard drive. i think it only goes as high a 64GB?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    I'm going to close this thread out by saying Thank You Guys!

Friendship is Carrots
    Did you reach a satisfactory decision? What did you choose?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Did you reach a satisfactory decision? What did you choose?
    Well, I talked to my brother who is some type of HP tech about this. I told him about everything and he said that what happened is I moved the laptop around when it was charging and put strain on the port or stepped on the cord and jerked the thingy out of the port. He said even if I were to get a new laptop, I would need to not move it around when it was charging.

I've only had this laptop for 1 year and do not want to buy Microsoft Office again, which is needed for classes. So I decided that I am going to pay another $200 and have it fixed again. All I have to do is not move it around when it's charging and I'm good to go.

Thank you guys, going to give everyone in this thread rep!

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Refer to the bold part in Vulgotha's post, plus the bit i added at the end of mine above.

Windows 8 was made for tablets, and not Desktops. And as a Tablet OS, Sufrace is unrivalled.

SurfaceRT and Surface Pro are amazing for students! It's Windows in your pocket!

-SurfaceRT comes with Office pre-installed, but only runs apps made for it (no chrome browser, firefox etc unless made specific)
    -Surface Pro is a mini Windows and runs just about anything the desktop can (even games - though performance isn't stellar).

As i said at the end of my post, i ditched my laptop for a SurfaceRT and i can't imagine not ever using it. Skydrive syncs files to the cloud. So all my work i do in uni can be accessed on my desktop and i can seamlessly work between them....or just work on the device itself.

You can use mouses, printers, keyboards, bluetooth....anything Windows normally can do can be done from the tablet. My cannon printer has an app in the store, when installing drivers for it also downloaded the app. I can see ink levels, printer queue, network IP, etc.

I would recommend the Pro version, personally. For me, I knew i'd end up putting my PS1 games + emulator on it so i put an artificial block of sorts and got RT
    Otherwise my productivity would have dropped during the more boring lectures (3 fudging hours! >_<)

Don't get an Ipad. Such an overpriced tablet imo. compatible with nothing, nothing no ports going into it.....Did i mention the Surface has USB port, and a Macro HDMI port for dual screening?

NOTE: If you don't have a desktop i would probably say to get a Laptop. Surface doesn't have what you'd call a "BIG" hard drive. i think it only goes as high a 64GB?

Surface was one of those rare Microsoft products that was exceptionally ingenuitive and replete with great features. The only issue was the outrageous price point for the version that is, imo, far superior which is the Pro.

Still, dunno what they were thinking by pissing off OEM's by making it.

Windows 8 is, in my book, a catastrophe. It was an OS meant to cater to both desktop and tablet/mobile users but ultimately gave the every day joe the finger by shoving Metro down everyone's throats. Even if you had a keyboard and mouse.

I get the thought process behind it, I read what one of the Metro UI designers had to say on the issue. I still think it was handled poorly and ultimately the wrong choice. And don't even get me started on Windows Server 2012 lol.

Still, if you have the money and want to do more with your tablet than plants vs zombies, Surface Pro is probably the way to go.

Friendship is Carrots
    Well, I talked to my brother who is some type of HP tech about this. I told him about everything and he said that what happened is I moved the laptop around when it was charging and put strain on the port or stepped on the cord and jerked the thingy out of the port. He said even if I were to get a new laptop, I would need to not move it around when it was charging.

I've only had this laptop for 1 year and do not want to buy Microsoft Office again, which is needed for classes. So I decided that I am going to pay another $200 and have it fixed again. All I have to do is not move it around when it's charging and I'm good to go.

Wait, you can only use Microsoft Office for the device it was registered on? That can't be right, because it sounds crazy. If it is true there are other options -- I personally like OpenOffice (and wish everyone would switch over to it).
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

I'm not completely sure about 2013, because we have a volume license for that, but certainly previous versions you do not have to use it only once.
    With MS's licensing servers, they usually allow a product to be re-registered no problems, they do ask you ring them if you re-register it on another machine within 6 months of it last being registered, but thats little more than a phone-call and telling them that you bought a new laptop.
    I'm not sure who told you you can only register it once, but thats not true at all.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Wait, you can only use Microsoft Office for the device it was registered on? That can't be right, because it sounds crazy. If it is true there are other options -- I personally like OpenOffice (and wish everyone would switch over to it).
    I think that if it's OEM, she's S.O.L. but if it's retail, she's still good. Personally, I like Libre Office way better. It has excellent support and quality behind it and does everything Microsoft's Office does.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I think that if it's OEM, she's S.O.L. but if it's retail, she's still good. Personally, I like Libre Office way better. It has excellent support and quality behind it and does everything Microsoft's Office does.
    BY OEM you mean it came with the system? Yeah that could be true.
    Standard OEM media (with a disc) you can certainly re-license.
    But those "trial" versions that come preloaded on some laptop, yeah not sure.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I've started to use Gdocs online more and more. If you don't rely on Excel etc for a Business, then I don't see the need to purchase MS office at this point with other very comparable services.

Of course, unless you're tied to a specific function (particularly excel or powerpoint) then yeah go for it.

Otherwise, go free.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Thread Information