Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,753
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    85,010 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Lethal's Xbox One vs PS4 Review

    I have owned both consoles since launch day. This review is my honest opinion of both consoles, and what they both do for me as a gamer.


    Playstation 4
    The PS4 is certainly aimed more towards the gamers. Since launch day, I have been able to broadcast my own game play straight from my PS4. I have also spent countless hours watching other live streams of games. And for the most part, the streams seem to be pretty solid. Sometimes you find a feed that is a little choppy or slow, but that is due to the host having a poor internet connection.

    Since the PS4 launch, I have purchased 9 games. However, only 2 of those games are Playstation exclusive titles. Knack, and Killzone: Shadow Fall.
    I chose to purchase the other 7 titles on my PS4 because they were the superior versions when compared to it's competitor. Whether it was better frame rate, higher resolution, or better incentives.

    I purchased the camera for my system, and I have to say that I really do not use it much. It auto detects my face to log me in, and that works very well. The voice commands are a bit shotty, though they do work. The only time I really ever use the camera, is when my kids and I are playing with the built-in app called Playroom.

    The DS4 controller is a huge improvement over the DS3 controller that came with the Playstation 3. Everything feels much more comfortable, especially the rear trigger buttons. The LED bar is pretty cool when used properly by developers. For instance, when playing games like Killzone, the LED color will change to red if you are being shot at, or low on health. But because of the location of the LED bar, you will really only notice this when playing in a dark room. The battery life of the DS4 is terrible. I had to purchase a 2nd controller to swap with because every 3-5hrs, my controller was just about dead.

    The new XMB on the PS4 is nice and simple. Everything is properly categorized and I have no issues finding anything I am looking for. My only concern is that every new game I own gets it's own box icon on my XMB. This makes the XMB a little cumbersome as I have to scroll through the list of games from left to right. I would rather see a single Games icon where my games would be located underneath that icon.

    Sony did a fantastic job allowing gamers to share pictures and videos. By creating myself a gaming specific Facebook account, I can upload all the pictures and videos to that page without bothering any of my friends and family with my PS4 content. Pictures are in full 1080p, but the videos uploaded are not too impressive. I noticed the videos are blurry and not in 1080p. This can be fixed with a patch.

    Overall I rate the Playstation 4 an 8.5/10. The multiplatform games have consistently been better on this console, with all but 2 games running in native 1080p. The future lineup of games looks very promising, and when you include the Playstation Plus service, it is a homerun for any gamer.
    PS+ is a requirement for those wanting to play games online. All other features are available without the PS+ subscription.


    Xbox One
    When you first set up your XB1, you can immediately tell the console is an entertainment console. Hooking up my cable box to my console was very simple. Using Kinect, I can switch channels by simply saying "Xbox, go to ESPN". That feature works for most of the channels. I also really like the built-in channel guide which is so much better than the guide that comes with my U-Verse box. Microsoft did a pretty nice job adding this feature, and I only have 2 issues with it.
    First, commercials tend to trigger my Kinect. Mostly those Xbox commercials that are showing how Kinect voice commands work. Second, while watching TV through my XB1, I can sometimes notice a slight latency issue that lasts a few seconds. Hopefully these can be fixed with a future update.

    I am on the fence when it comes to the XB1 dashboard. It clusters all sorts of boxes together, and trying to find the simplest things can be a chore. Finding my consoles settings was much harder than it needed to be.

    I was pretty happy with the games the console launched with. I jumped on Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, and Forza 5. Unfortunately, those are still my only games for the system. Since the launch, I have had no reasons to buy another game for the console. All the games that have released since then, are also released on the PS4, but with higher resolutions, or better fps.

    The XB1 has a really cool studio app that lets you edit your videos you capture. This is certainly far superior than the PS4 editing tool. With this app, you can add cool frames to your video, colors, and effects. Unfortunately you can not upload straight to Facebook. You can share with the XB1 community, or upload to what is now called "One Drive". Then you can pull your video from One Drive off your PC and then upload it anywhere you want.
    The XB1 does not let you take snapshots. This is a huge problem for me as I LOVE taking snapshots during games. Some games like Forza 5, allow you to take in game pictures and upload to their own website. Where you can then log in and share the picture you captured.

    The XB1 controller does not feel like a step forward to me. It still requires AA batteries out of the box. And the analog sticks feel a tad too high. The overall feel of the controller still feels good though. And the added rumble feature to the trigger sticks is AWESOME! Forza 5 really shows that feature off well.
    The battery life of the XB1 controller is fantastic. I can play for hours and hours without needing to charge my controller. I say charging because I had to purchase a separate charge kit. I think I get like 20+ hours on a single charge. Maybe more.

    I am not a huge fan of the Kinect camera. It takes a min for the camera to detect me and log me in. The voice commands are hit or miss, and I am finding myself repeating my commands more often than not. I really only use Kinect to change channels when I am too lazy to grab the remote.

    Overall I have to rate the Xbox One a 7/10. Right now the XB1 is more a media center instead of a gaming console. I spend more time watching TV and movies than I do playing games. Microsoft is heading in the right direction, with new OS updates coming out, and the announcement of some more exclusives. But I feel the games need to get on par with the PS4 versions, and not give gamers a reason to pass up on this console because of some higher resolutions. And you still need to purchase a Gold membership to take advantage of all the Xbox One has to offer.
    It is a good console, with a bright future. Unfortunately the present is not as bright.
    Last edited by Lethal; 03-01-2014 at 18:22.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,753
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    85,010 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Feel free to rip my opinions apart lol.

  3. #3
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    28,649 (0 Banked)
    i'd agree with some of what you say, but i think you should have waited for the Xbox update to better compare game streaming etc.

    personally, in a comparison of both systems. i'd recommend PS4 over Xbox every time. exclusive games aside, i can't think of a reason to buy (a UK) Xbox. of course, this may improve with the incoming update and when Project Spark arrives.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,753
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    85,010 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i'd agree with some of what you say, but i think you should have waited for the Xbox update to better compare game streaming etc.
    Still wouldn't change much. If I waited for another Xbox update, others could say that I should have waited for another PS4 update, and so on.

    Both consoles have their pros and cons. For me, the Xbox One has more cons than the PS4. Both are good consoles though.

  5. #5
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    19
    Points
    7,913 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Feel free to rip my opinions apart lol.
    you just opened pandoras box. Now it's going to start getting all wierd in here.

    I kind of wish they would let me categorize my friends list so I can put the ones I usually game with on the top for easier access.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 03-01-2014 at 18:40.

  6. #6
    Master Guru
    darky89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the bushes.
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,311
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    108,443 (0 Banked)
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I hate how every game is in just one list on the xmb too. I assume they'll going to improve it with updates, I'm pretty sure Sony mentioned being able to customise it, but really it's simple stuff that should have been there from the start.

    Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

  7. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
  8. #7
    Veteran
    snooper71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Posts
    4,455
    Rep Power
    93
    Points
    16,930 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    i'd agree with some of what you say, but i think you should have waited for the Xbox update to better compare game streaming etc.

    personally, in a comparison of both systems. i'd recommend PS4 over Xbox every time. exclusive games aside, i can't think of a reason to buy (a UK) Xbox. of course, this may improve with the incoming update and when Project Spark arrives.
    The x1 must be pretty weak sauce if we need to wait for updates to compare it to launch PS4!

    Makes no sense to compare in that case now does it? Might as well wait 4-5 years until they both have reached full potential. But then, there's not much point for those who are looking to decide on what to purchase NOW.

    Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk


    Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

  9. Likes dondidit likes this post
  10. #8
    Super Elite
    K2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    13,869 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I agree with you about the PS4 controller. Bought an extra one myself. I have two controller cradles one for the PS3 and the PS4. (I'm a sucker for symmetry). And also the sharing. REALLY hope they add a .gif generator to the share function.

    Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    ...
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

  11. #9
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,707
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,980 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    "I feel the games need to get on par with the PS4 versions"

    that's an unfair expectation. mostly because the X1 is not as powerful and it is making up for the power through other ways...such as Windows 8 apps, snap feature, Kinect voice commands etc.

    it's never going to catch up but that should not matter if they are able to leverage its other strengths.

  12. #10
    Master Sage
    Bitbydeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,491
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    47,440 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Haven't got my hands on the new Xbox controller yet but the PS4's is the best i've ever used before.
    They must have passed that thing around to every dev in the biz and got feedback.
    The only drawback is battery life but having 2 controllers makes for a decent workaround.

  13. #11
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,753
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    85,010 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    "I feel the games need to get on par with the PS4 versions"

    that's an unfair expectation. mostly because the X1 is not as powerful and it is making up for the power through other ways...such as Windows 8 apps, snap feature, Kinect voice commands etc.

    it's never going to catch up but that should not matter if they are able to leverage its other strengths.
    Well then that is a problem for the Xbox One. And then maybe Microsoft should stop saying their console is more than capable.

  14. #12
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,707
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,980 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Well then that is a problem for the Xbox One. And then maybe Microsoft should stop saying their console is more than capable.
    yup. PR for the core users. but they know the general audience won't know or care.

    i think it's only a problem if you don't care for what else MS is offering with the X1. but then why would anyone buy an X1 to begin with if they didn't like what MS offered with it.

    going back to your comment, i think what i'm getting from that is that you want them to at least let it do what it was supposed to...meaning, fix the software issues, reroute the resources for the games...that sorta thing.

  15. #13
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,419
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    209,281 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As someone who hasn't had much time at all with either console, you opinion as an owner of both is valued Lethal. Thank you for the reviews.

  16. Likes Lethal likes this post
  17. #14
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,971
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    28,649 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    The x1 must be pretty weak sauce if we need to wait for updates to compare it to launch PS4!

    Makes no sense to compare in that case now does it? Might as well wait 4-5 years until they both have reached full potential. But then, there's not much point for those who are looking to decide on what to purchase NOW.

    Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk
    as i said above, i can't think of a reason (exclusives aside) to buy an xbox for gaming, but when the guy bigs up the PS4's game streaming capabilities. he needs to compare it with the incoming Twitch of Xbox and as we already know... it's better. and while i'd not recommend getting an Xbox just for game streaming. it might well be a choice for those who intend to spend hours on it.

  18. #15
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Lethal should write professionally. I enjoy his reviews way more than the ones I see from those so called "journalists."

  19. #16
    Newbie
    Koloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    12
    Points
    756 (0 Banked)
    Good review!


    Both have their pros and cons. Pick the one that you like best!

    If you can, have both at some point!

  20. Likes Lethal likes this post
  21. #17
    Selected Members Council
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,124
    Rep Power
    195
    Points
    19,486 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Surprised you hadn't received any likes for your review. I'll be the first.

    I would imagine that you might do another review for both consoles closer to the end of the generation too, looking at what both companies improved upon and whatnot.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!



  22. #18
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    167
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Surprised you hadn't received any likes for your review. I'll be the first. I would imagine that you might do another review for both consoles closer to the end of the generation too, looking at what both companies improved upon and whatnot.
    And I'll be the second. I meant to click a like on it but obviously forgot. lol

  23. #19
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,707
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,980 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I didn't click like on the review because Lethal is a huge stealth troll. He bought his Xbox One just so he could've written this review and bash it.

  24. Likes 33x , Lethal likes this post
  25. #20
    Veteran
    Pong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,408
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    4,071 (0 Banked)
    These are the type of reviews I'm looking for! Actual user reviews from multi-console owners. Thanks for posting this.

    I haven't jumped into next-gen yet but at this point, I'm about 90% sure to go with the PS4. I've never owned more than one console because one console and my PC are plenty for my gaming needs.

    I'm waiting right now for a few reasons:

    1) I'm still playing games on my PS3
    2) The PS4 is lacking some features that I need (ummm, no DLNA?!)
    3) There isn't a game out right now that I want on the PS4 or XB1 (that I can't also get on the PS3 or PC)

    I'm an Infamous fan so I'll probably buy when SS is released (or shortly after). This is not guaranteed though so I appreciate reviews like this.

  26. Likes Lethal likes this post
  27. #21
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,753
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    85,010 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I didn't click like on the review because Lethal is a huge stealth troll. He bought his Xbox One just so he could've written this review and bash it.
    Are you a spy??


    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Surprised you hadn't received any likes for your review. I'll be the first.

    I would imagine that you might do another review for both consoles closer to the end of the generation too, looking at what both companies improved upon and whatnot.
    Thanks bro. I think doing another review later on is a good idea. End of the year would be a good time.
    Last edited by Lethal; 03-05-2014 at 21:29.

  28. #22
    Forum Overseer

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    32,707
    Rep Power
    198
    Points
    136,980 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Are you a spy??
    let's just say i have my connections.

    obama.gif

  29. #23
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chillin by the poo!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,289
    Rep Power
    41
    Points
    225,623 (0 Banked)
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Nice review lethal, there may be a point when I buy an X1 but not until they are drastically dropped in price, I just can't see a reason to buy one over a PS4!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

    Twitter ID: Duffman1986

    Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

    My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming



  30. #24
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,133
    Rep Power
    246
    Points
    149,395 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Nice review lethal, there may be a point when I buy an X1 but not until they are drastically dropped in price, I just can't see a reason to buy one over a PS4!
    I agree completely. I wouldn't have bought it over the PS4.




  31. #25
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,753
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    85,010 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Nice review lethal, there may be a point when I buy an X1 but not until they are drastically dropped in price, I just can't see a reason to buy one over a PS4!
    Based off the scores I gave each console, you should clearly choose the PS4 at this point.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.