Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    who gives a $#@!? i mean really? MP runs good (for what little i played), and SP looks amazing. xbox fanboys are ranting and raving about it because they have to find a justifiable reason they bought an inferior machine for 100 bucks more.

and yes, that last bit was a fanboy comment, as at the moment im in a i don't give a flying $#@! mood

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by XSpike View Post
    Game is sub 1920p horizontal but is 1080p vertically, overall still 1080p as 1080p only refers to how many vertical lines of pixels their is & not of the horizontal number.
    Game also uses reprojection to create missing information from previous frame.
    They use the same trick in SP to create the additional layer of antialiasing.

When standing still the image is full 1920x1080, in slight movement the image is pretty close to it.
    Artifacts can appear on transparent surfaces and when object moves against general movement of area. etc.

Here's couple of links to reprojection methods when used to increase framerate.
    http://advances.realtimerendering.co...raph2012).pptx
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...proj/bireproj/
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    who gives a $#@!? i mean really?
    Those of us who are interested in a graphics, programming and an algorithms.
    I really do not care about any of the console wars nonsense, but a proper discussion and a will to learn should always be encouraged.
    Last edited by jlippone; 03-04-2014 at 08:39.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    So basically it's 1080i@60? /thread

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    So basically it's 1080i@60? /thread
    Closer to 1920ix1080.
    Also it should look a lot better than simple implementation even in worst case.
    -------

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    But for the sake of total amount of pixels for each frame, it's the same, right?

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    According to GAF every second frame is native 1080p which is why it looks so damn good. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=545

Strange setup but still technically 1080p

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    According to GAF every second frame is native 1080p which is why it looks so damn good. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=545

Its doing the equivalent of 30 fps at 1080p but because its alternating which columns to render each frame it can maintain the responsiveness of a 60fps game.......

Edit: Depending on how intensive this is compared to rendering the whole frame, it could be a very interesting way for games that are designed for 30fps at 1080p for singleplayer, could do this kind of interlaced rendering to go 60fps for multiplayer, where frame rate and responsiveness is much more important. If the method is further developed to be able to merge between the frames with a higher degree of accuracy it could be an acceptable method to have 60fps at mostly/technically/ in a way sort of :P 1080p
    Last edited by Sajuuk Khar; 03-04-2014 at 09:37.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    That's inaccurate, as half of those lines of pixels are 1/60th seconds older.

Forum Guru
    But for the sake of total amount of pixels for each frame, it's the same, right?
    Final frame is 1920x1080 or 1080p.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post

No, each frame has new information worth of a 960x1080 buffer.
    With information from previous frame used with a re-projection algorithm each frame has enough data to create 1920x1080 frame.
    -------

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Its still some kind of quasi 1080i in my book. Shouldn't matter whether the interlacing is horizontal or vertical, it's still 50% off the pixels.

Not that it seems to matters to anyone other than Xbox fanatics though.. Sony lies!!

11. Likes mynd likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Its still some kind of quasi 1080i in my book. Shouldn't matter whether the interlacing is horizontal or vertical, it's still 50% off the pixels.
    It is.
    What my point was is that it isn't traditional interlacing either, there is proper data for the 'empty' pixels.
    -------

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    It is.
    What my point was is that it isn't traditional interlacing either, there is proper data for the 'empty' pixels.
    Yes and it isn't quite the same as upscaling to a 1080 image either

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Yes, silly ones mixing this up with upscaling.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Just realised I haven't even started the campaign yet on Kz. I seriously need to do that.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

PSU Live Streamer

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

17. Likes unicron7 likes this post
    Forum Overseer

mynd gave a good idea of what it is. it's supposedly some lame version of 1080p but it's still 1080p. it's not upscaled.

i'm assuming pixel-wise it's the same. just that it's blurry due to other reasons. itachi mentioned something about the cheap AA they used.

either way, it's no biggie, i think it was likely a rushed port because other exclusives have been 1080p.

now if we start seeing a pattern, that's different.

but we came to a conclusion that it's likely that games moving forward might be 1080p and 30fps...not because they can't do 60fps but because they don't need it and it would make more sense to work on eye candy.

i would still expect 1080p and 60fps in games that are focused on MP...and might even start seeing a similar trend as GG did with KZ but i doubt everyone will use the same technique. i think others will just reduce the graphics to make it 1080p and 60fps...OR worse case scenario reduce resolution to 900p to achieve 60fps.

either way, i don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. BF4 is 900p...i'd like to see how KZ looks in MP to see if i like it more or not...but 900p ain't all that either.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    ^So technically Sony didn't lie.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    ^Not sure if Sony said it, but pretty sure GG said it. Either or, someone misspoke and didnt clarify.
    People should complain enough to hold them accountable. I know people may think it is no big deal cause it is at some level technically 1080P, but I just don't like deceptive practices.

and what we seen is certainly not traditional 1080P 60fps we think it is.

21. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    Exactly. We don't need to overlook or support dishonest actions or agendas. The multiplayer isn't 1080p in the classically accepted sense.

Forum Overseer

yeah, they could've easily been more open about it. calling it 1080p is incorrect, just like calling 1080p to a game that has a different horizontal resolution...it's dishonest because when someone says 1080p, it is assumed that we're talking about the standard resolution of 1920 x 1080. at least the Order developer was up front about it, that should be the norm.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    yeah, they could've easily been more open about it. calling it 1080p is incorrect, just like calling 1080p to a game that has a different horizontal resolution...it's dishonest because when someone says 1080p, it is assumed that we're talking about the standard resolution of 1920 x 1080. at least the Order developer was up front about it, that should be the norm.
    Indeed.

You'll get some people saying, "Yeah, but the vertical resolution was whole. So it is technically 1080p!" Actually, no. The 'p' means the image is progressively scanned, which means a whole frame all the way through. KZ:SF's multiplayer uses a horizontal interlaced method of rendering. Thus it is not 1080p by any definition.

I don't think anyone besides fanboys actively cares it's not actually 1080p. The game still looks gorgeous, and new PS4 games on the horizon are showing what the hardware can do. What's important is that the developers chose to never mention this, and that it wasn't found until recently despite people analyzing every damn pixel of every big game.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    It is 1080i for MP. Not 1080P.

If sony ever said MP was 1080P, that would have been deceptive.
    "Killzone Shadow Fall's campaign is a visual stunner on PS4, rendering a smorgasbord of reflections, dynamic lighting, and billowing smoke at a razor-sharp 1080p native resolution (1920 x 1080)," said SCEA social media manager Sid Shuman."Then there's the competitive multiplayer mode which, like the game's campaign, runs at native 1080p and 60 fps.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/n...and-60fps.html

Forum Overseer

technically they didn't lie but it's not straightforward. they hid some important information on purpose. PR.

Apprentice

You can see the interlacing quite easily looking at the flashes from fire on the Bots.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Everything has already been said in this thread but I feel like some people miss the point that if by 1080p you mean seeing 1920x1080 pixels on screen all the time then the MP is STILL 1080p, However as Rapture mentioned, 'p' refers to 1920x1080 pixels per frame, and the difference is the game takes 2 frames to reach that from what I understand.

Not defending anything but I truly find this solution revolutionary (yes I was living under a rock and never knew interlacing was a thing). This completely bypasses upscaling and its nasty IQ loss (though you still get a little ghosting). I imagine this technique is a much bigger resource drain then just upscaling but its definitely worth it imo
    Last edited by Itachi; 03-05-2014 at 16:11.

Thread Information