Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

World Wide Web is 25

So the WWW is 25 this month.
    What year did you fist access the web?
    For me it was 1996 at college. I heard about this world wide web thing and wanted to know more so went to the college library to investigate. Got on the computers and was presented with the home page (I didn't know that what it was back then) and typed in some words into the address bar, but of course I got "404 page not found" errors and after about 15 minutes of that I gave up.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Hmm... 1997 for me. Dial-up with AT&T long distance charges. They didn't do very good at letting people know what was going to be charged back then. My first month, $510!!! I got that $#@! waived, and paid the $29.99 that was advertised.

I got it to play PGA Tour Pro on the PC, and of course, DIABLO!!!!!
    Last edited by F34R; 03-07-2014 at 17:49.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I think it was 1997 or 1998 or something like that, I'm not completely sure actually.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    First time for me was 1994.

Ultimate Veteran
    1999 or 2000. GameFAQs was a site I would often visit and also Dragon's Den when Dragon Warrior I & II was released for the Game Boy Color.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Friendship is Carrots
    I came to the internet later, around 2004-2005. I remember wanting cheat codes for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and my mother told me about this internet thing. We got dial-up in our little apartment and I messed with it. Didn't really understand it. Tried again a few months later and discovered gamewinners.com, which hosted cheat codes, tips, and easter eggs for games.

I really began getting into things when Youtube started becoming popular in 2006.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    1991 or 1992. I used Prodigy and Compuserve at different times and then a local ISP. Had an Aptiva PC (made by IBM) with a whopping 200mb hard drive. 9600 baud modem. That was fast!
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Overseer
    i remember when we had to put in www.

anyway, mine was in 1997 but only because i had just moved to the states and internet was unheard of in Pakistan.

we had AOL of course. and i was an idiot and thought that internet explorer couldn't work when i was online, that i only could use the AOL browser to browse the net.

first game i tried was Half Life 2 or maybe it was teamfortress, can't remember...needless to say...it was laggy as $#@! cause i had 56k which didn't even run at 56k. but it was still kind fun watching it.

i only got interested in broadband after i started to download dreamcast games (come on, everyone did it). i'd download the games on my college lab computer.

i'd go on the IIRC program. find a good channel, then a good host (before all this torrent $#@! happened), download the file, which sometimes took days...at times the full file would be corrupted...most of the time it wouldn't download correctly...

then i'd split the 700MB file into 7 100MB files. transfer each of them to a zip drive (100MBs), (i bought a bunch of zip drives)...then i'd come home...reattach the files together...then unzip them into a much bigger file...then burn them on a disc...in order to play on my dreamcast. i felt like james bond doing it. because it was probably the most illegal thing i'd ever done.

first time i got a game to work, i felt like what that dude musta felt like when he discovered gravity.

fun times.

@F34R. That arnold palmer golf game was my first one...i gave it to my cousin, he went on to play it for 2+ years and actually got into some kind of virtual tournies with dozens of other players...it was crazy...it was my cousin's life for a long time lol. i guess someone got use out of it, money well spent.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-08-2014 at 00:09.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I think I first used the internet at secondary school so must of been around 2000, it was intense lol. A year or so later we had AOL at home and my first internet game was runescape, made my first mate over the net as well on that game, started by slagging each other off then finding common ground, lost contact when I stopped using AOL haha

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    1993 was my first time and it just loaded up about now... So a long wait indeed
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Poster
    1995 was when I first got a computer in the house with internet. We had 28k at first then stepped up to 56k the next year. It was a Pentium 75mhz processor that we later upgraded to a Pentium mmx 333mhz processor. That was fast lol.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Ultimate Veteran
    Do you guys remember the computer you used? We had an iMac G3.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I was using the internet before the WWW was born, I was using a Prestel Modem back in 1985 to help out with dad's work on a BBC Master. I still have that cheese wedge shaped modem in my wardrobe! It had a grande resolution of 24x40 characters (not pixels).

Of course when the WWW was released to the public then his work gave us the updated Prestel stuff to work on an 80486 in February 1993 with a baud rate of 800 .

p.s. no one could have been on the WWW in 1991 because the internet was not available except for professional reasons between November 1989 (first test) and August 1992 (first public launch) between a select few people. November 1991 was the first ever HTTP test page.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I was using the internet before the WWW was born, I was using a Prestel Modem back in 1985 to help out with dad's work on a BBC Master. I still have that cheese wedge shaped modem in my wardrobe! It had a grande resolution of 24x40 characters (not pixels).

Of course when the WWW was released to the public then his work gave us the updated Prestel stuff to work on an 80486 in February 1993 with a baud rate of 800 .

p.s. no one could have been on the WWW in 1991 because the internet was not available except for professional reasons between November 1989 (first test) and August 1992 (first public launch) between a select few people. November 1991 was the first ever HTTP test page.
    ITs a common error to confuse the 2 things. The WWW and internet thinking they are 1 and the same when in actual fact (as you said) the internet came many years before the WWW and can exist without the WWW.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post

Yeah....that's right. I was on Prodigy and compuserve before the WWW was available and then when it came on, Prodigy started charging for number of hours online to use it. God I hated that.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Master Sage
    I don't remember.
    However I did make my first website around 1997/98 using Netscape Navigator and had it hosted on Geocities.
    Also remember playing Duke Nukem 3D over a 33.6 modem
    And also C&C and Red Alert over modem too. (Likely a 14.4 back then)

90's sometime.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    1991 - using BBS, then Gopher, followed by Compuserve and then the WWW. At the time I was training to be a field service engineer - blimey, time flies.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    It was in 1998 or 1999 when I was introduced to it. Popular websites I remember.

Bangbus
    Sailor Moon X (pretty much rule 34 combined with dragon ball z)
    CheatCC (CheatCodeCentral, I still use it today)
    AOL
    Netscape
    Dial-Up
    Pictures would load forever, which is why I printed them instead in a little fap booklet, I was heavy into Hentai at the time ahahhaah
    Command and Conquer
    Starcraft

I wonder how the Deep Web/Darknet is celebrating this day.

1997 if remember correctly. days of the irts.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    First PC was one with Win 95, or was it Win 98? I dont know, anyway the dial up was so slow after a week it just wasnt worth the time and effort. Wasnt until 12 or so years that I REALLY got into the internet on Windows XP since by then we had affordable internet that didnt require dial up.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I came to the internet later, around 2004-2005. I remember wanting cheat codes for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and my mother told me about this internet thing. We got dial-up in our little apartment and I messed with it. Didn't really understand it. Tried again a few months later and discovered gamewinners.com, which hosted cheat codes, tips, and easter eggs for games.

I really began getting into things when Youtube started becoming popular in 2006.
    Not too dissimilar from my story there Rapture. Switch mother for cousin, and the site to cheattoday.com and you have a dead ringer

Those where the days, couldn't connect in peace though

that was 10 years ago! >_<
    i think i might have been in primary? or just out of?

The internet has become so damn huge in such a short time.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information