Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    1080p/60fps?
    When looking up to a sky, yes.
    Last edited by jlippone; 03-20-2014 at 17:17. Reason: ;)
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

2. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    lol..maybe its the same dreamers that were waiting on toy story graphics from the emotion engine....lol
    Ugh so annoying that this misinformation still exists. Ms made the toy story quote not sony.

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by on the rocks View Post
    Ugh so annoying that this misinformation still exists. Ms made the toy story quote not sony.

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html
    In essence Sub was right... Still the SAME DREAMERS with their heads in the Clouds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

5. Likes Omar likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    In essence Sub was right... Still the SAME DREAMERS with their heads in the Clouds!

true lol

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    http://gamingbolt.com/dx-12-will-imp...lization-by-50

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/direct...etails-inside/

-In DX 11 most of the work was done by a single core, but in DX 12 overall CPU utilization is down 50% and the workload is more spread out across all cores.

-according to AMD’s slide, existing customers will benefit from this new API from the get-go.

-The first DX12 games will be coming in late 2015

-DX12 will come with new rendering features, a lower level of abstraction than ever before, resource management improvements and will address state and rendering overhead.

Forza Port

AMD:

INTEL

NVIDIA

EPIC

Phone

Last edited by mynd; 03-20-2014 at 21:00.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

8. Likes Yungstar 2006, mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member

So no secret sauce. Lower level API? X1 already had that. Code to metal.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    So dx12 is the new cloud that will make xbone powerful. Yeah not holding my breath.

on tap a talk on LG g2 and I suck at typing on phones so forgive my typo errors.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    So no secret sauce. Lower level API? X1 already had that. Code to metal.
    This is about how the framework makes use of the GPU/CPU overheads.
    And no, the Xbox one does not code to the metal, its close but it has a layer of indirection.

That's the significant slide, it will free up the CPU and cut down on how long the GPU is sitting around doing nothing.

This isn't anything Sony isn't working on, although they have the advantage of worrying only about one platform, they already have an advantage as their API is already tightly focused (BF4 guys tweeted the other day that the PS4 does not need MANTLE it mor ehtna adequate to do similar things already).

In short, performance gains will happen on Xbox One, significant ones at that, but no its not secret sauce, we aren't talking anything above 30% increase.

But we are taking about catching up to where Sony likely is at already (or closer to it than MS is at this point), not in power, just in efficiency of their API.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    This is about how the framework makes use of the GPU/CPU overheads.
    And no, the Xbox one does not code to the metal, its close but it has a layer of indirection.

That's the significant slide, it will free up the CPU and cut down on how long the GPU is sitting around doing nothing.

This isn't anything Sony isn't working on, although they have the advantage of worrying only about one platform, they already have an advantage as their API is already tightly focused (BF4 guys tweeted the other day that the PS4 does not need MANTLE it mor ehtna adequate to do similar things already).

In short, performance gains will happen on Xbox One, significant ones at that, but no its not secret sauce, we aren't talking anything above 30% increase.

But we are taking about catching up to where Sony likely is at already (or closer to it than MS is at this point), not in power, just in efficiency of their API.
    Not really. That slides means PC. Where PC API is now and where PC with DX12 API is in the future.

They even specifically go in detail how they are now using better multicore on CPU on DX12 compared to DX11 using mostly single core in multicore CPU.

Unless you are trying to tell me Xbox One CPU was only running mostly 1 CPU core until now, you don't have a case there.

There is no 30 percent, nothing is improving for giving X1 what it already has. On the other hand, this tells me my expensive CPU on my PC will now do its job.
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 03-21-2014 at 01:12. Reason: bolded for emphasis

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So. If it improves the back catalogue of graphics cards then surely this is mostly a software update?

Superior Member

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...3D_11_API.html

Also, X1 doesnt seem to need Mantle also because like I said, it has already has that ability.

It is PC that is getting the optimization. It is PC getting better CPU use.

Nothing is getting unlocked here. There is no 30 percent, nothing is improving for giving X1 what it already has.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    So. If it improves the back catalogue of graphics cards then surely this is mostly a software update?
    Amazing for PC gamers. This is similar to mantle.

Amazing optimization to follow on PC.

For Xbox One, it already has lower level API, it does not matter.
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 03-21-2014 at 01:12.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Not really. That slides means PC. Where PC API is now and where PC with DX12 API is in the future.

They even specifically go in detail how they are now using better multicore on CPU on DX12 compared to DX11 using mostly single core in multicore CPU.

Unless you are trying to tell me Xbox One CPU was only running mostly 1 CPU core until now, you don't have a case there.

On the other hand, this tells me my expensive CPU on my PC will now do its job.
    The guts of DX is hidden away from even the developers, not saying they are using one cpu core, just that DX primarily does.
    You can already multiple draw call from different CPU's but this is about that step after, one that draw call command is sent by DX.
    The have explicitly stated that yes we will see performance improvements on the Xbox One with this.

you may want to also read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ng-to-xbox-one

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/03/2...e-improvements

http://www.shacknews.com/article/836...or-xbox-one-pc
    Last edited by mynd; 03-21-2014 at 01:20.

Superior Member

The guts of DX is hidden away from even the developers, not saying they are using one cpu core, just that DX primarily does.
    You can already multiple draw call from different CPU's but this is about that step after, one that draw call command is sent by DX.
    The have explicitly stated that yes we will see performance improvements on the Xbox One with this.

I am not talking about the "gut" of DX. Xbox One API is supposed to be very "close to metal" API as is. Dev can run their program and see which core is more occupied and allocate to another. PC using 1 CPU over other is common issue and is ALREADY EASILY fixed on certain games with patches.

Are you saying that console has not achieved optimization that some PC games have? Something as easy as unloading one CPU core to another?

Are you seriously telling us until now Xbox One has been mostly using only 1 CPU core?

MS saying Xbox One will benefit means PR. Their tech demo is Forza running on PC with Titan Gfx. Seems like saying now because PC is low API too, it is easier to port. According to MS, is hardly a source without them proving it. According to MS Xbox One has hardware strong as PS4. and all those cloud bs and such.

And you may want to read this.

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-direct...-questionable/

Dedicated Member

Yeah I dunno Mynd, reading through the slides and what all those links say, it looks more like console efficiency gains are moving over to PC. There might be some gains to the X1, but that statement is mostly coming from MS, would need a 3rd party or detailed explanation on the precise gains X1 will have.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I am not talking about the "gut" of DX. Xbox One API is supposed to be very "close to metal" API as is. Dev can run their program and see which core is more occupied and allocate to another. PC using 1 CPU over other is common issue and is ALREADY EASILY fixed on certain games with patches.
    Direct comprises of a lot of complex layers of abstraction, there is obviously the top layer, which is the interface a developer works with.

So:

Layer 1-> Developer sends a draw command, of a render state change to the GFX card via DX command.

Layer 2->Direct X does it's thing, on its own framework, in a prescribed way that hold the whole framework together

Layer 3->Drivers interact in a specific way with Layer 2, according to the development kits MS sent out to the likes of Nvidia, AMD etc

When Microsoft talk about running a thin layer to allow DX to talk to the Xbox One Hardware, its still in the prescribed manner that Layer 2 ask of it.
    That layer 2, runs DX11 code in a way that MS first envisaged DX11 to work, incremental updates only add features to it, for example its likely they added support for ESRAM within in the drivers, opened up more direct routes to speical parts of the GPU.

But the core functions of that DX code, when you issue a "draw" command for example, is still ultimately run on the internal layer 2 framework, and if that framework is setup in such a way as to run on one CPU core, then thats where it will run.
    Are you saying that console has not achieved optimization that some PC games have? Something as easy as unloading one CPU core to another?
    It has nothing to do with how developers use the multiple cores.
    DX is a small but significant chunk of code running interdependently of you game code.
    Your game code interacts with it to get access to the GPU.
    Are you seriously telling us until now Xbox One has been mostly using only 1 CPU core?
    This isn't that hard, it has nothing to do with what code the developers run on the machine, its what happens when they ask DX to run something.
    MS saying Xbox One will benefit means PR. Their tech demo is Forza running on PC with Titan Gfx. Seems like saying now because PC is low API too, it is easier to port. According to MS, is hardly a source without them proving it. According to MS Xbox One has hardware strong as PS4. and all those cloud bs and such.

And you may want to read this.

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-direct...-questionable/
    Yeah the article is bull$#@!, posted before anything was even released.

Those 30% GPU boosts are real, direct relation to draw calls. Nothing else has access to the GPU except DX, so any performance there will significantly improve performance.

Less interesting is the 50% CPU performance thing, the actual CPU usage on the system reserved for DX is small, so 50% of small is just smaller.
    This doesn't mean significant increases in performance of the CPU.
    But what is important to take are form this is that the GPU is CPU BOUND in DX, freeing that up will absolutely have a performance boost on the Xbox One.

Again, I am not advocating this is some sort of miracle cure to allow it more power than the PS4, that will never happen, but anything that can make DX more efficient is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Yeah I dunno Mynd, reading through the slides and what all those links say, it looks more like console efficiency gains are moving over to PC. There might be some gains to the X1, but that statement is mostly coming from MS, would need a 3rd party or detailed explanation on the precise gains X1 will have.
    In terms of to the metal programming? Sure. In terms of removing the GPU being bound from the CPU. Thats significant.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-21-2014 at 02:35.

19. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Would the game have to be coded with this in mind or could it just work as is on any game using any GPU assuming the Operating System supports it?

IF MS make this windows 8 and above only that is a crock of $#@!.
    Last edited by keefy; 03-21-2014 at 03:47.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Would the game have to be coded with this in mind or could it just work as is on any game using any GPU assuming the Operating System supports it?

IF MS make this windows 8 and above only that is a crock of $#@!.
    Depends, they could patch it, but either way yes you have to write your code for it.

I have read over this thread a few times and I'm still lost with all the gigglebites,GPU's, this, that.

All I know is Ryse is the best looking game out right now on either console and I have both consoles and played all the games that are worthy for both the PS4 and One.

If they can make Ryse look the way it looks now, as a launch title. Then I can only imagine what games will look like over the span of both consoles.

People are too obsessed with the power of the consoles to enjoy them.

CURRENTLY, most my friends and myself are enjoying the One over the PS4. Why? We are enjoying the GAMES that are on it more, regardless of a power difference in the consoles.

Maybe it's because I'm a little older than some of you guys (27) and I just want to play the games and not obsess over the technical aspects of every little detail.

If that's your thing, more power to you and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

Just please try to enjoy the games, whichever console you have, even if you have all of them (including.the WiiU).

Peace guys.

Superior Member

Direct comprises of a lot of complex layers of abstraction, there is obviously the top layer, which is the interface a developer works with.

So:

Layer 1-> Developer sends a draw command, of a render state change to the GFX card via DX command.

Layer 2->Direct X does it's thing, on its own framework, in a prescribed way that hold the whole framework together

Layer 3->Drivers interact in a specific way with Layer 2, according to the development kits MS sent out to the likes of Nvidia, AMD etc

When Microsoft talk about running a thin layer to allow DX to talk to the Xbox One Hardware, its still in the prescribed manner that Layer 2 ask of it.
    That layer 2, runs DX11 code in a way that MS first envisaged DX11 to work, incremental updates only add features to it, for example its likely they added support for ESRAM within in the drivers, opened up more direct routes to speical parts of the GPU.

But the core functions of that DX code, when you issue a "draw" command for example, is still ultimately run on the internal layer 2 framework, and if that framework is setup in such a way as to run on one CPU core, then thats where it will run.

It has nothing to do with how developers use the multiple cores.
    DX is a small but significant chunk of code running interdependently of you game code.
    Your game code interacts with it to get access to the GPU.

This isn't that hard, it has nothing to do with what code the developers run on the machine, its what happens when they ask DX to run something.

Yeah the article is bull$#@!, posted before anything was even released.

Those 30% GPU boosts are real, direct relation to draw calls. Nothing else has access to the GPU except DX, so any performance there will significantly improve performance.

Less interesting is the 50% CPU performance thing, the actual CPU usage on the system reserved for DX is small, so 50% of small is just smaller.
    This doesn't mean significant increases in performance of the CPU.
    But what is important to take are form this is that the GPU is CPU BOUND in DX, freeing that up will absolutely have a performance boost on the Xbox One.

Again, I am not advocating this is some sort of miracle cure to allow it more power than the PS4, that will never happen, but anything that can make DX more efficient is welcome.

In terms of to the metal programming? Sure. In terms of removing the GPU being bound from the CPU. Thats significant.
    Dude. Last I heard you go on and on about Xbox One having secret sauce audio chip and PS4 not having any. That argument was more descriptive than this and turned out to be complete false.

Please source all your findings. You are applying all the benefit made out to be on PC explained specifically on PC slides to be same as Xbox One's benefit.

It is giving low level API access to PC, but X1 as we all know has this currently. This would not be benefiting X1 much.

PSU Technical Advisor
    ..What does this matter? Xbox One doesn't really USE DirectX as an API anyway afaik. Doesn't it use its own custom API, just like the PS4/PS3 did? Just like the 360 as well?

Isn't this like saying that "OpenGL" is supported on PS4 but in real terms people are only ever using PSGL (Sony custom API)?

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    ..What does this matter? Xbox One doesn't really USE DirectX as an API anyway afaik. Doesn't it use its own custom API, just like the PS4/PS3 did? Just like the 360 as well?

Isn't this like saying that "OpenGL" is supported on PS4 but in real terms people are only ever using PSGL (Sony custom API)?
    Yup.Xbox One has Direct3D 11.x.

x at the end stands for Xbox One. It is special set of API made for Xbox One specifically which I was saying all along.

They will update it to Direct3D 12.x, but that is simply different API than PC API. Benefits or different rendering features supported will go on it, but those will be ported to PS4 or anything anyways. I doubt both systems can even afford new rendering features anyways.

X1 already has low level API what does it matter that PC now has low level API too?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7420/m...i-direct3d-11x

I am saying this is nonsense for 2 reaons.

1. You can't apply benefits coming to PC on Xbox One when Xbox One already have those benefits.
    2. Mynd make it sound like PS4 had mantle like API and Xbox One didnt. You quote a dev for that, but funny thing is. Long before, many were saying Xbox One doesnt need Mantle because it already has Mantle like API.
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 03-21-2014 at 18:39.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

• kim lee @nicodemus9

@xboxp3 how does dx12 specifically enhance xbox one games, anuj gosalia seemed to downplay the importance of dx12 for xbox one titles.

phil spencer @xboxp3
    follow
    @nicodemus9 dx12 will have impact on xbox one games written for dx12. Some dx12 features are already in xbox one but full dx12 coming.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-21-2014 at 18:56.

27. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Looks like open gl is getting faster as well.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/opengl-gdc2014/

Does ps use this or is it the PSSL? Anyone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post

No it uses a variant of DX 11, some of the features in DX12 are already in the Xbox version but not all.

Forum Elder
    I Should have read the thread instead of the one post. I see that ? Was answered

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information