Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They could have easily not added the extra polish in the PS4 version and hide behind the Xbox one version and say "look parity".

They had no reason to do what they did on the PS4 version.
    Why do you want parity? It doesn't benefit anyone but the weaker console.

Power Member
    Items User name style

Gamespot: Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes - PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One

Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Why do you want parity? It doesn't benefit anyone but the weaker console.
    Nobody wants it, but we are used to getting it. Im not talking about resolutions BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Seems like you didn't read the thread.
    Not thoroughly enough it seems....lol. Didn't realize I was repeating the point that YoungMullah88 made. My bad.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol exactly my point. How about they ported the game to the ps4 with everything on and had room to spare. Did the same on the xb1 and the system started chugging so they reduced the resolution but it still couldn't handle all the effects at 60fps so they started removing somethings like the dynamic clouds and some assets that are on the ps4 version.

There is no amount of "effort" that would have brought the xb1 IQ to ps4 level unless they go for 1080p@30fps (and it dips below that). But then kojima has stated that 60fps was the goal from the get go. I guess he could turn down more effects to get the x1 version to 792p or 960p

Can't wait to see how $#@!ty watch dogs will look, if it only looks downgraded on the ps4

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Irrelevant of the Xbox one version, you have to commend Kojima for even implementing the dynamic sky stuff in the first place.

I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Irrelevant of the Xbox one version, you have to commend Kojima for even implementing the dynamic sky stuff in the first place.

Lol how about its standard but omitted from other version because they couldn't handle it? Now If the PC Version does not have it, then we can assume they went the extra mile to add it to the ps4

6. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member
    no surprises here. ps4 proves again and again that its the most powerful gaming console on the market, with the competitors lagging way, waaaay behind.

@BitbyDeath, only people who want to have lower standards would want parity. they're ok with "average", rather than shooting for the sun. guess those people bet on the wrong horse.
    Last edited by Peregrin8X; 03-09-2014 at 00:17.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Lol how about its standard but omitted from other version because they couldn't handle it? Now If the PC Version does not have it, then we can assume they went the extra mile to add it to the ps4

You have an odd definition of standard.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I think the dynamic sky was a feature that Kojima thought should be standard in the ps4/xbone when he was developing his engine years ago.

I want to see the ps4 version.

Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    You have an odd definition of standard.
    So what you're getting at is that the fox engine does not have dynamic sky? That Kojima took extra dev time to get it up and running on the ps4? So you're saying that the xb1 can handle it but kojima didn't put the effort to make it happen? Which is it bro lol?

Elite Sage
    Kojima and crew had to have tried to make things work. DS = Dynamic Sky.

PS4
    1080p/60fps/DS - Piece of cake. Strong enough to fit our next gen vision at the time of creating this engine.

Xbone
    1080p/DS - Hmm, It's not 60fps. Don't worry. I have a solution.

720p/DS - $#@!! It's still not 60fps. I'm not dropping to 30fps. I hate to do it but we have no choice...

1080p/Last gen sky - What the $#@!! MS? It's still not 60fps. $#@! this $#@!

720p/last gen sky/60fps - It's about damn time.*wipes sweat*

Extreme Poster
    While people certainly misunderstood your comment earlier mynd, your assumption is likely inaccurate because for all we know, he may have had the dynamic sky in his mind from the beginning. they usually don't know during development which version is going to turn out how.

they probably have a target but they don't really know where they will end up. so definitely i get your point that they could've just not done a thing about the extra oomph PS4 provided but we don't really know what their target was from the beginning.

It wouldn't make sense to me that they had decided after all the versions were done that...oh PS4 has more room, let's make an exclusive feature for it...makes no sense from any perspective.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    So what you're getting at is that the fox engine does not have dynamic sky? That Kojima took extra dev time to get it up and running on the ps4? So you're saying that the xb1 can handle it but kojima didn't put the effort to make it happen? Which is it bro lol?

No, just that "standard" generally means the majority not the exception.
    Now if you mean they wanted it as "a standard" maybe?

Extreme Poster
    lol playing semantics now.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Kojima and crew had to have tried to make things work. DS = Dynamic Sky. PS4 1080p/60fps/DS - Piece of cake. Strong enough to fit our next gen vision at the time of creating this engine. Xbone 1080p/DS - Hmm, It's not 60fps. Don't worry. I have a solution. 720p/DS - $#@!! It's still not 60fps. I'm not dropping to 30fps. I hate to do it but we have no choice... 1080p/Last gen sky - What the $#@!! MS? It's still not 60fps. $#@! this $#@! 720p/last gen sky/60fps - It's about damn time.*wipes sweat*

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    lol playing semantics now.

Not really

lol how about its standard but omitted from other version because they couldn't handle it?
    Yeah...uh that not standard then.
    That's like saying we have standard features such as 1080p on all versions except PS3/Xbox 360/Xbox one.
    Other than that it standard on all versions!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Lol if you say so mynd. I'll leave it to other members to continue. Looks like another merry go round discussion

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I don't think anyone can doubt it at this point. This might be the ongoing trend the entire generation.
    I believe it will be the story of the entire generation. X1 is fighting an up hill battle on two fronts. Harder to develop for and under powered compared to PS4.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I believe it will be the story of the entire generation. X1 is fighting an up hill battle on two fronts. Harder to develop for and under powered compared to PS4.
    Yep Xbone has twice the uphill battle to fight than the PS3 did. Harder to develop for and less powerful than the PS4.

Extreme Poster
    Not really

That's like saying we have standard features such as 1080p on all versions except PS3/Xbox 360/Xbox one.
    you're playing semantics at this point. read my first post in the thread. it's not likely anyway what you're saying. they probably downscaled, not upscaled. upscale would make no sense economically.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep Xbone has twice the uphill battle to fight than the PS3 did. Harder to develop for and less powerful than the PS4.
    Oh lets not be that dramatic, I don't think it's hard to develop for, its just harder to get 1080p out of.
    The PS3 was way harder to develop for than any of these systems, its not like the Xbox One is foreign tech, its just a less powerful GPU.
    Its the same CPU and GPU architecture, power levels may vary but it not like the GPU is foreign. The same CPU code and same shader coder can be written for both systems.

Where it really differs is memory architecture and aforementioned power of GPU.

But compared to the PS3? Hell it dealt with foreign CPU code, messed up memory architecture and a less powerful GPU.
    I think devs would prefer the current situation over last gen.

you're playing semantics at this point. read my first post in the thread. it's not likely anyway what you're saying. they probably downscaled, not upscaled. upscale would make no sense economically.
    Depends on
    1/ How easy any extra development was to implement
    2/ When it was introduced.

Considering the PS3 and 360 version were in development before the PS4 and XBO where any where near solidified spec, thats a long bow to draw that they somehow "planned it all along".

It's an effect, not the ground basis of the framework at any rate. I'm sure they could switch various effects on and off at will given thats what a framework engine is designed to do.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-09-2014 at 08:05.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    frckn dbl post.

Elite Sage
    The dynamic sky is obviously a standard feature on hardware that matches or surpasses the ps4's strength. The xbone didn't fully meet what they thought next gen was going to be out the gates. Are you going to say that the standard fps for current gen consoles isn't 60fps vs 30fps on last gen consoles? You're a developer for goodness sake. You know full well they didn't just pull that specific feature out of their ass just for the ps4. It's a scalable engine. They obviously scaled the dynamic sky back to the last gen sky for the xbone because it ran like $#@! with it turned on. The xbone is strong enough but its tools are far from ready to handle it.

edit:I meant to say the current amount of power that's being extracted out the ps4 at the moment.

edit2: then again it's 720p vs 1080p so that's going to require even more power out the xbone. Basically, I was saying the feature requires a certain amount of power that the ps4 provided and the xbone didn't. Ugh, I'm going to bed. I'll try and get my words out clearer later.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 03-09-2014 at 08:16.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    The dynamic sky is obviously a standard feature on hardware that matches or surpasses the ps4's strength. The xbone didn't fully meet what they thought next gen was going to be out the gates.
    How do you know that? You have no idea when the dynamic sky was implemented.
    Are you going to say that the standard fps for current gen consoles isn't 60fps vs 30fps on last gen consoles?
    $#@! yes I am. I have and will continue to. 30fps will be the standard.
    You're a developer for goodness sake. You know full well they didn't just pull that specific feature out of their ass just for the ps4. It's a scalable engine. They obviously scaled the dynamic sky back to the last gen sky for the xbone because it ran like $#@! with it turned on. The xbone is strong enough but its tools are far from ready to handle it.
    I'm not arguing that it "ran like $#@!" on the Xbox One, it clearly did I'm not entirely sure why you guys keep pointing that out.
    I'm not even sure you many of you want to discuss this so much as point out that the Xbox One couldn't run it.

Well no $#@! we can all see that.

I guess this all hinges on when they did the dynamic sky.

You guys choose to believe he meant to implement it on all versions but opt out, I choose to believe he opt in on it when he saw he had extra horsepower spare...

At least I don't see the world so negatively

One way celebrates the PS4, the other way makes the Xbox One look "underpowered" (like we don't already have enough examples?), its no real wonder you guys choose the view you do. I'm not about to change your way of thinking, and you aint about to change mine.

P.S. "special treatment" doesn't sound very standard...just saying...

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/...14959621718016
    Last edited by mynd; 03-09-2014 at 08:18.

Extreme Poster
    Oh lets not be that dramatic, I don't think it's hard to develop for, its just harder to get 1080p out of.
    The PS3 was way harder to develop for than any of these systems, its not like the Xbox One is foreign tech, its just a less powerful GPU.
    Its the same CPU and GPU architecture, power levels may vary but it not like the GPU is foreign. The same CPU code and same shader coder can be written for both systems.

Where it really differs is memory architecture and aforementioned power of GPU.

But compared to the PS3? Hell it dealt with foreign CPU code, messed up memory architecture and a less powerful GPU.
    I think devs would prefer the current situation over last gen.
    yeah, no one is talking about the PS3 though. the point is that X1 is still harder to develop for, on top of the resolution issue. Because they're always going to rely on the ESRAM to get $#@! done. DDR3 isn't fast enough alone for next-gen games...you can't spin that in any way.

they're always going to rely on the way faster but very very small ESRAM. and i can imagine how that would be a $#@!, just deciding what you want to do with it...since it's so tiny and the bottlenecks are so large. you will always have to make choices...what to degrade, what not to.

Depends on
    1/ How easy any extra development was to implement
    2/ When it was introduced.

Considering the PS3 and 360 version were in development before the PS4 and XBO where any where near solidified spec, thats a long bow to draw that they somehow "planned it all along".

It's an effect, not the ground basis of the framework at any rate. I'm sure they could switch various effects on and off at will given thats what a framework engine is designed to do.
    so wait, it's not coming out for the PC platform? like i said dude, for all we know, it was already in the development but taken out for platforms that can't handle it...X1 can't at the state it's in.

and even if we take out PC from the equation...sometimes games are being designed/conceptualized before they even know much about the hardware, nothing new. they can always scale it up or down. though i don't believe for a moment that they ended the design stage, built the game for all platforms...then decided...yeap, let's use up those resources left on the PS4 and come up with a feature we didn't even think about until now! that absolutely does not make sense.

if the game wasn't designed to do that, it would just not be there...there would be extra room on the PS4 and they might use it to stabilize the frame rate or up the effects/filters/AA/AF (reduce LOD) or whatever else you wanna add here but not a full feature like dynamic sky.

to reiterate, the way i've observed it, they take a concept, run it through, see what they are left with after they try to get the game running. developers generally eliminate features rather than add them later into the development.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    yeah, no one is talking about the PS3 though.
    Yep Xbone has twice the uphill battle to fight than the PS3 did
    Hmmmm

the point is that X1 is still harder to develop for, on top of the resolution issue. Because they're always going to rely on the ESRAM to get $#@! done. DDR3 isn't fast enough alone for next-gen games...you can't spin that in any way.

they're always going to rely on the way faster but very very small ESRAM. and i can imagine how that would be a $#@!, just deciding what you want to do with it...since it's so tiny and the bottlenecks are so large. you will always have to make choices...what to degrade, what not to.
    Yeah uhhh thats what I said. I wasn't denying any of that.

so wait, it's not coming out for the PC platform?

Go order it for PC and see how far you get..
    Last edited by mynd; 03-09-2014 at 08:47.

Thread Information