Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Decent scores which sint surprising since many people say its good ony let down by few players in servers.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    87 is a GREAT score.
    exactly. At least now I know to ignore EGM when it comes to reviews. giving a game a perfect score is still pretty meh, even if it's on the PS4, I don't expect any game to get a 10/10. reading the reviews though, this will certainly be a solid game imo. Even after playing the beta on the PC, it was quite good. I may get it on the PC because of that.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I don't think "10/10 (or 100/100)" = = "perfect" in the video game reviews world. But yeah I get your point.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Score is pretty decent. Expected to see in the 90s range though. But it's close enough.

Forum Elder
    an online game that suffers some serious FPS slow downs, should not get review scores as good as this is getting.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Ok. that makes sense.

I wonder why we don't see IGN score and Eurogamer. Those I trust more over others.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    an online game that suffers some serious FPS slow downs, should not get review scores as good as this is getting.
    Read the reviews...

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    I agree. Titan fall doesn't have any game breaking slow downs. At least the beta didn't, and the review scores aren't showing that there are serious issues.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Even the lowest score didn't even mention frame rate issues.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    Ok. that makes sense.

I wonder why we don't see IGN score and Eurogamer. Those I trust more over others.
    Both of their sites say the reviews are in progress. Guess they wanted more time with the game.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Even the lowest score didn't even mention frame rate issues.
    they weren't allowed too.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by x_terna View Post
    they weren't allowed too.
    What are you basing that on?

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War
    Great scores so far Looking forward to giving it a blast

Superior Member
    I understand that they average all scores and they are weighted, but what does the Toronto Sun and Globe and Mail really know about video games?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I understand that they average all scores and they are weighted, but what does the Toronto Sun and Globe and Mail really know about video games?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Read the reviews...

updated op 28 critics @87.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    This is the Globe and Mail Review, some of you who have played the game can tell us if they are wrong or right:

Game Review
    Everything about Titanfall is gigantic, but it left us wanting more

• Title Titanfall
    • Platform Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC (reviewed on Xbox One)
    • Publisher Electronic Arts
    • Developer Respawn Entertainment
    • ESRB Rating M: Mature
    • Release Date Tuesday, March 11, 2014
    • Score 7/10

For anyone holding out for a true next-generation first-person shooter, the wait is over: Titanfall has arrived and it makes good on its promise to advance the genre. Thatís good news, but also bad.

Electronic Artsí sure-to-be blockbuster sci-fi game is an immensely enjoyable and exquisitely crafted shoot-em-up that puts players in the seat of giant warring mech robots. It grafts Call of Duty quality play on a distant future setting, which should be no surprise given that the makers of this game are the original inventors of that mammoth franchise.

Yet Titanfall is also a worrisome product that delivers only a fraction of what competing games Ė including Call of Duty Ė do, for the same price tag. That sets a worrying precedent where gamers are set to get less game for the same money. As the next generation of consoles takes root, this is both a commercial and an artistic concern.

Titanfall takes place in a future where humanity has rocketed to the stars, which, through a short intro video, is about all the back story there is. A quick tutorial on how to run, jump and drive Titans and weíre launched straight into online multiplayer action. If you havenít heard, thereís no single-player campaign here. More on that in a minute.

At its core, Titanfall is essentially three multiplayer games in one. On the first front, itís very much like most FPS titles out there. Players control Pilots, or human soldiers who are upgradeable through the experience points they earn in matches. New weapons, attachments and special abilities are unlocked through level progression, with each carrying its own upsides and downsides. Sniper rifles are great for long-range attacks, for example, but not so much up close, where submachine guns are better.

On top of that, the Pilots are also especially adept at jumping and climbing. They can run along walls for short periods and their jet-packs allow them to leap atop tall buildings. Titanfallís addition of a vertical element to firefights literally introduces a new dimension to the genre. Stopping here might have been enough to create an exciting new type of FPS, but nope, the developers went further.

Every player eventually gets access to the giant Titan robots, which come booming out of the sky as theyíre dropped from orbit. Once inside, players have a bevy of heavy armaments at their disposal, with the powerful machines handling like something between a tank and a jet fighter. Like the Pilots themselves, the mechs can be upgraded through levelling up. The entire goal of the game is to basically get into these things as much as possible so that you can unleash carnage on your enemies.

Respawn has done an excellent job at balancing these three aspects. While it would seem like the Pilots would be terribly outmatched by the gigantic Titans, their parkour-like abilities give them a fighting chance at scurrying into cover, then they can retaliate with their own heavy weapons. Either that, or they can jump on the mechís head and shoot out its circuitry up close.

The mechs, meanwhile, can be devastating, but also surprisingly vulnerable. They can be easily destroyed when tag-teamed by opponent Titans, or if a Pilot is particularly reckless and doesnít play defence. Unlike the human combatants, the mechs donít regenerate health, which is why itís wise for them to take cover whenever their shields go down.

Thrown into this mix is a healthy dose of artificial intelligence. While most match types limit teams to six human participants each, up to 48 combatants can often take part. These can be dumb cannon-fodder grunts with bad aim, more highly skilled Specter drones or AI Titans themselves. Regardless of what kind of game mode is being played, the battlefields are inevitably heavily populated with opponents to dispatch and allies to provide help.

The resultant wars are expansive and thrilling, with several different levels of action Ė both figuratively and literally Ė happening at any given time. Infantry troops can be fighting it out in the tunnels beneath a building while Titans face off around it. Pilots can be on the roof, meanwhile, trying to take everyone out. Thereís always something going on, and it makes the battles frenetic, fast-paced and exhilarating.

Titanfallís excellent sound design also warrants special mention. From the clank-clank-clank of the mechs stomping about to the pulsing explosiveness of shoulder rockets launching, just about every audio effect contributes weight to the experience. I found myself sticking with certain weapons just because of the way they sounded (I particularly like the metallic whirring of the Titan chain gun). Itís a game best played with the volume cranked way up.

The developers have also taken great strides toward creating an FPS that is appealing to hard-core fans of the genre and newcomers alike. The ratio of AI to human players, as well as the generally large maps on which the action takes place, is tuned to give newbies a chance at feeling like they can contribute. They can spend the entire game scoring points by taking out grunts and Specters while more skilled players can concentrate on going after more dangerous prey, like each other. If newbies can manage to stay away from the pros, they may just enjoy this game.

If thereís a downside to the combat, itís that itís too heavily skewed toward getting Titans. While fighting on foot is okay, it pales in comparison to driving the fearsome mechs, which is what the game is all about, after all. Pilots can decrease the amount of time until their next Titan becomes available by taking out other players or AI bots, a goal that usually takes over the game. As a result, infantry combat is more of a grind to get through on the way to getting a Titan than it is a fun pursuit on its own.

Titanfallís bigger problem is that, beyond its fundamental gameplay and standard multiplayer modes, such as team death match, domination and Last Titan Standing (Titans only, no respawning), there really isnít much depth to it. As mentioned above, thereís no single-player mode and therefore no real fiction or story to the game.

A multiplayer campaign mode takes a stab at adding some narrative in the form of pre-match audio briefings, but the subsequent battles are just repeats of the same multiplayer modes. There really wouldnít be much reason to play these missions if they didnít unlock additional chassis for your Titan.

Respawnís reasons for foregoing a single-player mode are somewhat understandable. The developers wanted to focus their energies on creating a bang-up multiplayer experience, and many FPS players bypass gamesí campaign modes entirely anyway, but it really is too bad in this case. I would have liked a better explanation of how these giant robots came to be and why theyíre currently fighting each other. Rumours of a single-player campaign coming along as extra downloadable content are swirling, but thatís something that should have been included from the start in a game with such promising fiction behind it.

Itís not just a single-player campaign thatís missing, itís the ability to play the game alone or offline in any way. If something happens to your internet connection or to EAís servers, Titanfall is simply unplayable, which seems inexcusable for a game with so much functioning AI.

And letís remember, there is a non-zero chance of server failure: Early purchasers of the game should be aware that EA has on several occasions experienced server issues with new titles at launch (SimCity and Battlefield 4 come to mind). I reviewed Titanfall through a downloadable Xbox One code provided by Electronic Arts. Servers for the game were not up and running until late Saturday evening, with intermittent connection problems occurring on Sunday.

The total lack of single-player capability is at odds with most other FPS games. If the likes of Call of Duty or Halo can provide both single- and multiplayer modes for the same price tag, it doesnít seem right that Titanfall canít. While Respawn and EA are cutting down on the price of development by foregoing single-player, those savings arenít being passed on to gamers, which is the concerning part of the game. At the very least, including an offline AI bot mode would seem to be a no-brainer, but itís not here for whatever reason.

So, while Titanfall delivers amazing next-generation action, its next-generation business plan isnít nearly as impressive.

Technology is part of The Globe and Mail's Report on Business
    Selected data supplied by Thomson Reuters.© Thomson Reuters Limited. Click for Restrictions .

© Copyright 2014 The Globe and Mail Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    444 Front St. W., Toronto, ON Canada M5V 2S9
    Phillip Crawley, Publisher

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle17392517/

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Holy crap, an honest review out of the group of hype reviews.

87 for an online only game. Huh, I'm shocked. I hate the route we are going in gaming.
    Last edited by unicron7; 03-11-2014 at 14:01.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

18. Likes x_terna, IshTing likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Most of the reviews have been very positive. I'm just waiting to read the ign review. I definitely would be playing this game right now if i owned a x1. Goty material is here and this will be the game to beat.
    I think the above poster was expecting the weighted average to be lower so he could bash the game lol. He is picking up the only review out of the entire lot that was a little critical and calling it honest.

20. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    Most of the reviews have been very positive. I'm just waiting to read the ign review. I definitely would be playing this game right now if i owned a x1. Goty material is here and this will be the game to beat.
    I think the above poster was expecting the weighted average to be lower so he could bash the game lol. He is picking up the only review out of the entire lot that was a little critical and calling it honest.
    Not at all. I'll actually be purchasing the 360 version(because no way am I paying $500 for a sub-HD "next gen" gaming platform).Not denying it is a great game, but I do think it is being overpraised for what you are getting. MP only, online only, and no single player campaign. People are being milked and played for suckers. The industry is slowly going downhill in terms of bang for your buck.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

22. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Not at all. I'll actually be purchasing the 360 version(because no way am I paying $500 for a sub-HD "next gen" gaming platform).Not denying it is a great game, but I do think it is being overpraised for what you are getting. MP only, online only, and no single player campaign. People are being milked and played for suckers. The industry is slowly going downhill in terms of bang for your buck.
    What's so offensive about an online-only game, as compared to a campaign only game? This isn't anything new. You probably get more bang for you buck from this. If the devs vision is an online-only game, then so be it. It's pointless tacking on a singleplayer.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Elite Sage

Titanfall| Metacritic Watch: 87

Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post

I assume you shared the same view of MAG then?

I like that most reviews, or at least the sites I frequent, are holding back a score until it is released in the public. Being online only this game relies heavily on a smooth experience for everyone.

Though the 2 reviews I've read so far, Eurogamer and PCGamer both seem to sound very positive. Looking forward to getting it myself. I enjoyed the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    What's so offensive about an online-only game, as compared to a campaign only game? This isn't anything new. You probably get more bang for you buck from this. If the devs vision is an online-only game, then so be it. It's pointless tacking on a singleplayer.
    I'd rep if Tapatalk allowed it. Some people don't care for a tacked on SP just because they felt like ticking a box

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    I've been watching it this morning on Twitch (shocked there are no gamers here playing it and posting in this forum - are there really that few X1 owners here now?)

From what I've seen there was a bit of tearing occasionally, but absolutely no frame rate issues at all. One thing I noticed was that it seemed a lot of people don't actually get into the Titan as they die pretty quickly, but rather put it in follow mode. What this ends up amounting to is a standard fps with a remote appliance getting you the odd kill. It's not exactly genre-defining, but I'll admit it did look fun at least for a while. The CTF maps and game mode looked really good. I think that's probably what I would stick with and your grunt at least has a real role there as running with a flag in and out of buildings means you last longer than if you pick it up in a great big kill-me-now Titan.

If I had a X1 I would pick it up, but it won't be game of the year and it's certainly not going to be another Halo for MS in my view.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Dedicated Member
    People bashing it for being online only or charging 60 usd for the game, simple solution don't buy it. Many reviews say this game reinvents shooters, in particular player motion. Many people who were calling it a cod clone turned out wrong. I watched some streams, it looked really smooth and hardly any frame rate drops. Graphically it looks amazing in motion. This is a game you'd be mistaking to judge the graphics by screenshots. You have to watch it in motion.
    The day MS dispenses with the kinect crap is when i get the x1 and this is the game that'll be going in first.
    Last edited by rene2kx; 03-11-2014 at 15:54.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Almost 1,000 user reviews scoring it a 6/10

Very subjective though as we all know how these user scores work. And the issues with XBL is not helping anything.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/titanfall

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post

See the trailer

Metascore : 86

Generally favorable reviewsbased on 34 Critics

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/titanfall

EGM - 100
    Gameplanet - 95
    GameTrailers - 93
    Vandal Online - 92
    God is a Geek - 90
    Shacknews - 90
    Toronto Sun - 90
    3DJuegos - 90
    games(TM) - 90
    Polygon - 90
    Xbox360Achievements - 90
    Machinima - 90
    Meristation - 90
    GameSpot - 90
    NowGamer - 90
    Joystiq - 90
    Metro GameCentral - 90
    Official Xbox Magazine UK - 90
    AusGamers - 87
    JeuxActu - 85
    SpazioGames - 85
    Multiplayer.it - 85
    Everyeye.it - 85
    Official Xbox Magazine - 85
    Cheat Code Central - 84
    LevelUp - 84
    GamesBeat - 82
    Destructoid - 80
    The Escapist - 80
    Gameblog.fr - 80
    USgamer - 80
    GamesRadar - 80
    VideoGamer - 80
    The Globe and Mail (Toronto) - 70
    those are pretty decent scores across the board. i'll bet you some of them docked it for lack of SP.

that's what they did with SOCOM games. they got generally 7s and maybe 8s...think i only saw one place give it a 9. but they always complained about the bad SP of that series...no one cared about those reviews.

Thread Information