Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

Titanfall Launches at 792p, looking at 1080p no AA vs 900p FXAA

We've been experimenting with making it higher and lower," he revealed. One of the big tricks is how much ESRAM we're going to use, so we're thinking of not using hardware MSAA and instead using FXAA to make it so we don't have to have this larger render target.

"We're going to experiment. The target is either 1080p non-anti-aliased or 900p with FXAA. We're trying to optimise... we don't want to give up anything for higher res. So far we're not 100 per cent happy with any of the options, we're still working on it. For day one it's not going to change. We're still looking at it for post-day one. We're likely to increase resolution after we ship."

IGN:http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/1...2p-on-xbox-one
    Scrapping 2xMSAA to use FXAA will certainly allow the jump to 900p. I say go for it. Between 1080p no AA and 900p FXAA upscaled, the latter will eliminate A LOT more jagged edges (due to upscale blur added to the AA)
    Last edited by Itachi; 03-10-2014 at 19:22.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    When I played the beta I didn't think, for a single second, about the resolution. The game was just freakin' fun as hell; so to speak.

So, is this good or bad?

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    As long as it doesn't hamper the framerate, i say go for it.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol right, this should be fun to watch play out if this is happening and the game is at 792p

The frame rate in Titanfall is uneven on the Xbox One and though it's usually fine, it can get downright nasty in specific situations. In one Last Titan Standing match--where every player spawns in a robot suit--several players crammed their mechs into a tight area and began duking it out, and the frame rate dived down to what must have been single digits per second. Even out in wider areas, the game feels a little hitchy from time to time, and there's noticeable tearing throughout. The visuals in Titanfall look nice, but that's mostly due to some solid art and interesting design, not the performance. As of this writing, I haven't seen enough of the PC version to know how well it runs.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/thi...-yet/1900-630/

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol right, this should be fun to watch play out if this is happening and the game is at 792p

Yikes... what little bit I played in the beta, I didn't notice any problems. However, I'm holding out on buying it until I get some more info. I dislike bad framerates.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Lol right, this should be fun to watch play out if this is happening and the game is at 792p http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/thi...-yet/1900-630/ Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Looks like the framerate is already "hampered." They should just put it back at 720p since it seems that Xbone is really struggling to run this game.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-10-2014 at 20:16.

Forum Sage

I put in many many hours with the beta and the framerate was never a big issue. I remember it slowing down but it rarely happened. The game is just really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Looks like the framerate is already "hampered." They should just put it back at 720p since it seems that Xbone is really struggling to run this game.
    its not hampered. Don't take my word for it. Go play it and see for yourself or go read some of the reviews. No sites are reporting anything about the framerate hampering the gameplay.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-10-2014 at 20:24.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Was it a framerate issue, or just crappy lag from not-yet-fully-optimised mp server given they all spawned at the same point and started ducking it out?

​aka Sparc

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    People are saying it's when a bunch of titans are on screen and the game mode last titan standing. Also when entering a titan. This all may be patched just like cod ghost and ac got patched on the other console, no reason for respawn not to be able to redeem this issues

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Well more than the framerate, the tearing was horrendous from the videos I saw. I can only imagine the judder while actually playing. I still believe that the larger reason behind X1 games having more technical issues than ps4 counterparts is because MS themselves don't have appropriate level of tools made for the ESRAM

Power Member
    Items User name style
    <sighs> Did you guys read the interview at all, they discuss framerate...

"A lot of the performance is on the GPU side. There's still room for optimisation and we're still working on it," Baker commented. "Ideally it would have been a rock-solid 60 all the time when we shipped but obviously when there's big fights going on, lots of particle effects, lots of physics objects... we're still working to condense the systems, make them more parallel so we can hit 60 all the time, ideally."

Baker did reveal that we can expect to see some performance increases in the shipping game, based on optimisations carried out after the beta concluded.

"There was an issue with decals taking a lot more time than they should which we fixed for launch," he said. "The worst-case scenarios are better, I think. The average is probably about the same as the beta."
    As for the MSAA etc, well thats pretty much captain obvious speaking. Although its probably the first real indication we have had that ESRAM is ore the reason for these lower resolutions than raw GPU grunt (although that clearly is an issue with frame drops).
    Last edited by mynd; 03-10-2014 at 20:59.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    dbl post
    Last edited by mynd; 03-10-2014 at 21:02.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I put in many many hours with the beta and the framerate was never a big issue. I remember it slowing down but it rarely happened. The game is just really fun. its not hampered. Don't take my word for it. Go play it and see for yourself or go read some of the reviews. No sites are reporting anything about the framerate hampering the gameplay.
    Giantbomb did. Said at one point framerates hit single digits during a Titan fight. How does framerate issues not hamper gameplay? And I have read some of the reviews. That happened to be one of them.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-10-2014 at 21:45.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Giantbomb did. Said at one point framerates hit single digits during a Titan fight.
    yea, in the beta during one match. Not saying it isnt true but it rarely happened for me in the beta. If the game is getting dock points in the reviews its not for the framerate. Its pretty solid from my experience.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    Well more than the framerate, the tearing was horrendous from the videos I saw. I can only imagine the judder while actually playing. I still believe that the larger reason behind X1 games having more technical issues than ps4 counterparts is because MS themselves don't have appropriate level of tools made for the ESRAM
    That and not enough of the ESRAM.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    yea, in the beta during one match. Not saying it isnt true but it rarely happened for me in the beta. If the game is getting dock points in the reviews its not for the framerate. Its pretty solid from my experience.
    Doubt that much will change from beta so close to release. But I do believe it will be successfully patched later on.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-10-2014 at 21:54.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    When I played the beta I didn't think, for a single second, about the resolution. The game was just freakin' fun as hell; so to speak.

So, is this good or bad?
    Thank goodnes. Then it IS worth picking up [as I've always been interested in this game] still I musy digress...

792P?!!! WTF!

Ok. It's out of my system. Back to being civil

From the GSIV Wiz

Superior Member

Xbox One Struggles to Run Titanfall Despite Power Unlock Update and Cloud

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/ar...92p-resolution

Forget the low resolution, Xbox One seems to be having hard time running Titanfall.

Causing alot of screen tear and framerate drops.

This is source engine we are talking about. This is the after the bump it received after that power unlock patch. This is after using cloud to run it.

MS may tell us PR after another, but it seems like we keeps getting solid result back after another. Game after another proving the effect MS's weaker hardware have on games.

PSN ID
    IshTing
    Well that sucks. I don't understand why they are trying to make it 900p or 1080p if it's already struggling?

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post
    Well that sucks. I don't understand why they are trying to make it 900p or 1080p if it's already struggling?
    Because it would just struggle more. Instead of what is just annoyance, it would turn into unplayable game at those resolutions.

PSN ID
    IshTing
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    Because it would just struggle more. Instead of what is just annoyance, it would turn into unplayable game at those resolutions.
    That doesn't make sense. Why would Respawn try to patch it to 900p/1080p and make it unplayable?

Forum Sage
    That doesn't make sense. Why would Respawn try to patch it to 900p/1080p and make it unplayable?
    Dont believe everything you read, bro. titan fall runs fine on xb1. This is the same story being rehashed.
    The Xbox One version of Titanfall hasn't been able to nail down the 60 FPS sweet spot like many were expecting. Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann has noticed some unfortunate framerate drops when playing the game, which he noted in his pre-review:

Go read the reviews and see what they say about it. ........or go play the game for yourself. You can't trust some journalist these days. They do too much copy and paste.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    792p? Such odd native resolutions.......

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER

25. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Superior Member

No. I am saying that is why it is staying at low fps because you want to make it playable, so they choose low resolution over low fps.

It is sad fact, but Xbox One is struggling behind power alot. I do not think Respawn promised 900P or 1080P res. They may have said they are "looking" into higher resolution which means nothing really.
    Last edited by AttackTitan; 03-11-2014 at 02:24.

Thread Information