Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

[Article] Where is the PS4's Titanfall?

Source

Article written by Brendon Giffiths at Gamer Headlines

I can already predict how this will go down, but it's an interesting article nonetheless. I have to admit that I hadn't placed a pre-order for Infamous as I wasn't completely sold on it from the bits I'd seen.

I recently got my eager hands on a demo of Infamous: Second Son at a retail preview event and I left with a distinct feeling that it wonít be the killer exclusive that the PS4 has been waiting for. With Titanfall due to hit rival platform Xbox One later this week, I was left wondering when the PS4 can expect to see its own exclusive that builds up a similar degree of hype and enthusiasm.

Rest assured, this isnít a PS4-bashing article. Hell, Iím still glad I opted for the Sony platform last November, largely in part to many the multiplatform titles -current and upcoming- performing significantly better on the PS4. Sales of the console have been strong too and PS Plus remains an attractive proposition even if weíve noticed it treading water a little on the PS4. But where are the games to look forward to that make the PS4 the obvious choice for gamers yet to splash the cash on a new console?

The Xbox One has been losing out so far in no small part because of the high price compared to the PS4, but weíre now seeing regional price-cuts making the Microsoft console much more competitive. Take the UK market: the solus console used to be £425, but now you can order a Titanfall bundle for £399, thatís just £10 more than the PS4 Infamous: Second Son bundle. Going forward, the price difference just isnít going to be a selling point anymore.

When looking at the release schedule this month, itís become clear to me that Infamous is really up against it in the battle for gamersí time and money against Titanfall. Sony havenít helped themselves in this matter either, offering few updates about the game itself and keeping hands-on opportunities unavailable until very late in the day.

The demo I played didnít impress on a visual scale beyond a few neat particle effects when absorbing neon or smoke powers. Admittedly, it only included a small part of the gameís map, but man, it was so grey and dull with no extra texture detail to be found on walls or on the tarmac. I was assured this was quite an old demo and the final game looks better. But then why the hell is Sony sending this decidedly crappy-looking demo around the country in an effort to drum up pre-orders?

Combat felt decidedly last-gen too, with clunky melee moves making Delsinís fiery chain attacks feel like like Kratos on tranquilisers. Switching to Neon mode (not just electricity with a dash on pink, honest) proved to be a real letdown as Delsin only had pithy ranged attack with no melee options. Fingers crossed more moves will become available in the final version. More frustrating is Sonyís silence on what other powers Delsin will be able to steal from other Conduits. If we get the final game and all weíve been waiting for is an ice blast weíre not going to be happy as the PS4 exclusive already looks like itís barely moved on from the PS3 games.

I really hope Iím wrong when the finished version of the game turns up and it blows us all away, but is anyone else getting that feeling weíre looking at an enjoyable 7/10 rather than the game to tell our Xboning friends that weíre not feeling that bad about not playing Titanfall?

My current thinking is that Titanfall will eventually make its way to the PS4 in the shape of Titanfall 2 as Microsoft have failed to lock-down sequel rights so far and EA arenít stupid enough to avoid doubling their audience unless MS throw an obscene amount of money at them Ėalso possible. For now, Iíll just keep telling myself that Iím not that bothered about missing out because Titanfall is online only. Except, I played Titanfall at an expo last year and knew there and then this was going to be huge.

Who needs Titanfall?

Are the killer app exclusive games coming from Sony and third party developers? Of course they are. But Sony is playing a dangerous game by not showing us anything to compete with hype being generated by Titanfall. The new Uncharted will be ace, I think thatís a given, but whereís the footage? The Order: 1886 looks interesting, but weíre going to need a bit more convincing itís not just another third-person shooter and hopefully someone will convince Ready at Dawn to get rid of the awful Ďcinematicí widescreen borders.

Sony Santa Monica recently cancelled a four-year deep project, which certainly doesnít sound good. Was this the next God of War game? Surely not, but itís not a good sign nevertheless. But if Santa Monica werenít working on GoW, who is? Gran Turismo 7 is probably a few years away given recent form, but at least weíll have a free version of DriveClub to look forwards to on PS Plus soon. Except, thatís gone down the crapper too, with Sony recently admitting the game has gone back to the drawing board and may even miss 2014 despite originally being planned as a launch title. Oh well, thereís always The Last GuardianÖ

All the while Titanfall will be in every shop window for the next few months and before you know it, the hype machine will start rolling through with Halo 5 on its back. Can Kratos and Nathan Drake take on the mechs and Master Chief? Youíre damn right they can, but Sony needs to get them off the bench and into the game before itís too late.

Many pundits suggest that Sony is waiting until E3 to show us some footage from Uncharted and probably unveil a few new exclusives. Usually, that would be fine and definitely something to look forward too as expo season heats up our summer, but Sony need to show gamers something NOW. Many gamers yet to make the leap onto next-gen consoles will hungrily looking at the Titanfall bundle this week and Sony need to make the PS4 an attractive alternative with the promise of some huge games to look forwards too. So far, theyíre relying on faith that little bit too much.

Sony could reclaim the console-crown from Microsoft this generation and theyíve made a good start, but itís about time they got stuck into the war for real rather than sitting back and gleefully watching other devs win the smaller battles for them with better resolutions and frame-rates for third-party titles.

​aka Sparc

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I still REALLY don't care about Titanfall, it looks like Call of Duty just with big metal machines, hell they could have released DLC for that
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

3. Likes 33x , VayMasters86, unicron7 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    I still REALLY don't care about Titanfall, it looks like Call of Duty just with big metal machines, hell they could have released DLC for that
    this game could be the difference in Xbox One catching up or falling even further behind on PS4. Because of that, the game certainly has my attention. So far, IMO PS4's exclusives have been disappointing, and infamous is never that AAA exclusive title to me even from last gen.

I hope Sony knows what they are doing, not bring any real AAA exclusives until 2014 holiday season could end up biting them in the rear end...
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Yup I kind of agree. I watched a load of it earlier today and put a mini-review in the metacritic section. It really is not anything special but MS are the kings of marketing and generating hype and that does generate sales. While we don't have anything to throw back in the faces of those lauding the X1 over the Ps4 in terms of huge hitting exclusives it's a hard argument to win.

We've made the right choice going with the PS4, no doubt about that, but give us something that we can dangle in front of the $#@!s' faces so we can prove it.

​aka Sparc

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Sorry, but Titanfall is no Halo, or Call of Duty, or Uncharted. It is not on the same level as these franchises. It is much to soon to be talking like an online only game is going to make or break anyone.

It is a decent online game. Nothing more, nothing less.

7. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Sorry, but Titanfall is no Halo, or Call of Duty, or Uncharted. It is not on the same level as these franchises. It is much to soon to be talking like an online only game is going to make or break anyone.

It is a decent online game. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Okay, but in line with the intent of the article - what do we have at the moment? It's not that anyone thinks Titanfall will redefine the generation, it's more that they have some hugely marketed, big hitting exclusives out already (Ryse, Forza 5, and Titanfall) - we're lagging behind. This is what needs addressing. At least give us something to get hyped about, more pics, videos, stuff we can share over twitter

​aka Sparc

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by funkybudda View Post
    this game could be the difference in Xbox One catching up or falling even further behind on PS4. Because of that, the game certainly has my attention. So far, IMO PS4's exclusives have been disappointing, and infamous is never that AAA exclusive title to me even from last gen. I hope Sony knows what they are doing, not bring any real AAA exclusives until 2014 holiday season could end up biting them in the rear end...
    Infamous looks AAA to me but whatever. Dont see how you can call Titanfall AAA and Infamous not. Anyway I dont care about Titanfall tbh. Sure it looks fun but its basically just COD with some mechs thrown in. Like Duff said this game couldve easily been DLC for COD.

PSU Live Streamer
    While the concept of Titanfall is somewhat appealing. So many aspects of it turn me off. Bots, smart guns. cloaking abilities, etc. Those don't appeal to me in the slightest...doesn't matter what console its on.

In the end though, it's being compared to CoD the most. And in the CoD vs. BF debate, BF wins it for me everytime. Does that mean the TF vs BF debate will be the same by default? Could be.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Okay, but in line with the intent of the article - what do we have at the moment? It's not that anyone thinks Titanfall will redefine the generation, it's more that they have some hugely marketed, big hitting exclusives out already (Ryse, Forza 5, and Titanfall) - we're lagging behind. This is what needs addressing. At least give us something to get hyped about, more pics, videos, stuff we can share over twitter
    I'm very hyped for Infamous. I know youre not but to each his own. MLB The Show which I think is the best sports series ever is coming in May so for me theres some great exclusives trickling in. Titanfall looks fun but imo its nothing special just overhyped and greatly marketed.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I'm very hyped for Infamous. I know youre not but to each his own.
    I'm just waiting to see the reviews and watch a bit on twitch before I part with my money. I'm hoping it will be awesome as I'm just about to finish Kz SP and could do with a new game.

​aka Sparc

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    I hate when the term "killer app" is thrown around. It has no meaning anymore. Titanfall is NOT the Xbone's killer app simply because, even if it was good enough to be considered one (lolno), it's also being released on 360 and PC.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    But Sony never had a single game that is hyped to hell and back, they usually have several games but 1 never out shines the other. The guy saying people are waiting to jump in and yet the consoles are still hard to find. What's the point in announcing a game with that much hype? Maybe when supply exceeds demand (around E3) then this guy might have a point. It also doesn't hurt that the ps4 will have the Better multiplatform titles out of the two consoles. Just like the ps3, the games will come...they might not be hyped out of this world like titanfall

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

15. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    I hate when the term "killer app" is thrown around. It has no meaning anymore. Titanfall is NOT the Xbone's killer app simply because, even if it was good enough to be considered one (lolno), it's also being released on 360 and PC.
    Its definitely the killer app for xb1 right now. Maybe not at that halo level but this game is generating a lot of buzz with the shooter crowd every since it was revealed. I think sony made a mistake not getting this game on ps4. Infamous will be great, but it won't have that replay value that a game like this has.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Its definitely the killer app for xb1 right now. Maybe not at that halo level but this game is generating a lot of buzz with the shooter crowd every since it was revealed. I think sony made a mistake not getting this game on ps4. Infamous will be great, but it won't have that replay value that a game like this has.
    Replay value is subjective. If youre not much into playing MP but more of a SP person then Titanfall doesnt have the appeal or replay value that say Infamous has. I replay my SP games and campaigns all the time. So its not that cut and dry. As for Sony not getting this on PS4 how could they have? MS already paid EA for exclusitivity.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-11-2014 at 19:45.

Forum Sage
    Replay value is subjective. If youre not much into playing MP but more of a SP person then Titanfall doesnt have the appeal or replay value that say Infamous has. I replay my SP games and campaigns all the time. So its not that cut and dry.
    Yea, but thats you. You have your preferences. Others may not feel the same. It wouldn't hurt to have this game on ps4 regardless of its multiplayer focus. Even if people aren't into online only shooters, this game could of possibly helped moved more ps4s. If there is a sequel they shouldn't let it happen again.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yea, but thats you. You have your preferences. Others may not feel the same. It wouldn't hurt to have this game on ps4 regardless of its multiplayer focus. Even if people aren't into online only shooters, this game could of possibly helped moved more ps4s. If there is a sequel they shouldn't let it happen again.
    Did I not say this was subjective? Yes, I did. So the same applies to you. Thats you. You have your preference , others may not feel the same. And its not like I'm the only one either. So its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. As for moving PS4s Sony is having no problems there. PS4 demand is still outstripping supply. Its MS that really needs to move Xbones. MS needs this game alot more than Sony does.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-11-2014 at 20:01.

PSU Live Streamer
    Agreed.
    That was MAG for me. Many people criticized MAG for it's 'poor gfx'. Many people didn't like it. It was an online only platform exclusive. I loved the $#@! out of that game.

One day PS4 will likely get titanfall2 or perhaps a 'special edition' rerelease of titanfall1. The exclusivity of the title is only for that game till 'end of life'. Which usually means when it stops selling and/or the sequel is announced/released.
    If my issues with the first title are cleaned up for the second, I'm sure I'd play it. Though if it handles like a CoD game, I'll probably dislike it for the same reasons.

Veteran
    For me, it's not about replay value, but about play value. Sure a multiplayer game can keep your interest longer, but it also has to generate that interest to begin with, and I have no interest in a codmod.

22. Likes unicron7 likes this post
    Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    If anything I've seen more hoping that Titanfall becomes a legendary franchise more than anything from people. There are people that want the Xbox brand back to the point of where it was and they are branding Titanfall as the game to do it. It will be hyped by the media and by many in order to get those One units moving. I'm not falling for the bull$#@!. I'll stick with my 360 copy. I'm not here to reward Microsoft for releasing an overpriced hardware unit.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

24. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    If anything I've seen more hoping that Titanfall becomes a legendary franchise more than anything from people. There are people that want the Xbox brand back to the point of where it was and they are branding Titanfall as the game to do it. It will be hyped by the media and by many in order to get those One units moving. I'm not falling for the bull$#@!. I'll stick with my 360 copy. I'm not here to reward Microsoft for releasing an overpriced hardware unit.
    You nailed it right there.

Forum Sage
    Did I not say this was subjective? Yes, I did. So the same applies to you. You have your preference , others may not feel the same. Its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. As for moving PS4s Sony is having no problems there. Its MS that needs to move Xbones. MS needs this game alot more than Sony does.
    What you're saying has nothing to do with the benefits this game would give the ps4. Its really not about preferences. We know that there will be people that don't like Titanfall regardless of the multiplayer only thing. Some gamers don't prefer shooters. We know that. MS may have needed this more than sony, but they got it. Thats the difference. I'm sure there are a lot of gamers that would welcome this game to ps4. If i didn't have xb1 or a PC i would buy ps4 for this game.

Veteran
    What you're saying has nothing to do with the benefits this game would give the ps4. Its really not about preferences. We know that there will be people that don't like Titanfall regardless of the multiplayer only thing. Some gamers don't prefer shooters. We know that. MS may have needed this more than sony, but they got it. Thats the difference. I'm sure there are a lot of gamers that would welcome this game to ps4. If i didn't have xb1 or a PC i would buy ps4 for this game.

As he said, Sony isn't having trouble getting PS4s off the shelves. The money that it would have cost them to get Titanfall on PS4, I'd rather they invest in new IP.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    But it is about preferences. You said so yourself earlier. We'll see what this game does to help Xbone sales but I dont think it will move as many as you think. It certainly doesnt give 360 owners the incentive to buy an Xbone. I would think thats something that MS would want to do. And tbh this game really isnt anything special. Its an online shooter that is basically COD with mechs thrown in. I'm sure its fun but its nothing special but MS will aggressively market this game because Sony is kicking the crap out of them right now. And of course Xbox fans will act like its the 2nd coming because they desperately want to see the Xbox brand make a comeback.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-11-2014 at 20:35.

PSU Live Streamer
    I think if MS secured it as an X1 exclusive, no 360 or PC....then it could move systems to the hopes of MS and its fans. But being on 3 different platforms, 2 of which are in majority of homes already....it might not impact X1 that much.
    Last edited by shepard; 03-11-2014 at 20:46.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I think if MS secured it as an X1 exclusive, no 360 or PC....then it could move systems to the hopes of MS and its fans. But being on 3 different platforms, 2 of which are already in majority of homes already....it might not impact X1 that much.
    I agree. I would think MS would want to give 360 owners an incentive to buy an Xbone. But they failed to do so by releasing on the 360 as well. 80 million+ 360 owners out there. Then throw in PC and thats definitely going to have an effect on the ability of this game to help Xbone sales to any substantial degree.

Thread Information