Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

What's going on with Xbox Live?

Just saw this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/11/xb...ted-operation/

Whether it's the launch of Titanfall on Microsoft's servers or something totally unrelated, Xbox Live is currently experiencing "limited" capabilities. Users may experience issues signing in, or while attempting to do any matchmaking in Titanfall and Forza 5.

Viewers of our recently concluded Titanfall livestream will have seen these issues first hand. No word yet on when this will resolve. It's just hitting the end of the work day on the East Coast, so the Titanfall servers are about to experience a crushing load.
    wow....the day Titanfall goes live too. That sucks.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Just saw this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/11/xb...ted-operation/

wow....the day Titanfall goes live too. That sucks.
    nothing wrong with mine. My son has been playing titanfall most of the day on his xb1. Must be in particular areas. Knowing MS there wont be issues for long. They are pretty good at resolving these things quickly.

If you are having issues signing into Xbox Live, we are aware of it and actively working on the issue. This is not a #Titanfall issue
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-12-2014 at 04:07.

Ultimate Veteran

Forbes: XBox Live down on Titanfall launch day

TECH 3/11/2014 @ 5:11PM 51,019 views

Xbox Live Down On 'Titanfall' Launch Day

15 comments, 5 called-out
    Comment NowFollow Comments

Well, that didn’t last long.
    It seemed like a smooth launch for Titanfall so far, but just hours after I published my review praising Microsoft MSFT +0.53% and EA for a release free from technical hiccups, Xbox Live has gone down.

Though there’s no official confirmation that the outage is tied to the Titanfall launch, it would be a fairly obvious culprit as millions of players try to access the game on launch day. Titanfall relies heavily on Microsoft’s Azure cloud servers which were going to be used to ensure something like this didn’t happen, but it appears things have gone wrong, as many expected they might.
    The service outage has lasted for the better part of an hour now, and Xbox Support says that service is “Limited” right now. “Unable to sign in to Xbox Live on Xbox One?” they say, “We’re on the case to get this issue fixed as soon as possible!”

I thought I was taking crazy pills as when I was unable to play Titanfall (because there’s no offline mode, naturally), I turned to boot up Hearthstone, which has just dropped its beta badge to go officially live as of today. Now it seems Battle.net is also down, and the result was me resetting my internet for about twenty minutes until I figured out what was going on. I’m not sure why Hearthstone would pick today of all days to go live, nor do I know what their issue is, though I assume it’s 100% unrelated to Microsoft’s plight.
    This is the problem with launching a 100% online multiplayer title like Titanfall. A game with a campaign would at least have something for players to do as they waited for Live to return, but the entire game is locked behind the online wall.
    And now we see a problem with EA and Titanfall relying on Microsoft directly for server support. Now if the servers melt down, it’s not just Titanfall that’s inaccessible, it’s the entirety of Xbox Live. A problem for not only Titanfall, but Xbox One as a whole. The One is failing the digital test I talked about yesterday if this keeps up.
    I suspect the server load is just too great as players are now getting home from work or school and trying to play. It’s 5PM EST, and with most schools out at 3 or 4, the service kicking out about an hour or so ago makes sense.
    Nothing other than boilerplate “we’re fixing it” responses from Microsoft yet, so we’ll have to keep an eye on the situation. At least EA has someone to share the blame with this time.
    Keep checking back here for updates, and I’ll post information as soon as I find it.
    Update: From Respawn’s Vince Zampella: “Looks like Xbox live sign in is down currently. I hope that isn’t our fault!” Keep hoping, Vince.
    Update #2: I’m hearing reports of people that have been playing through this entire outage. I guess that explains the “Limited” service interruption rather than whatever it would say otherwise. “Offline,” maybe. I’m trying to figure out if this is location-based.
    Update #3: I’ve asked Microsoft PR for an ETA on service restoration, but nothing yet. As for how widespread this is, I’m not sure how to gauge it other than noting that“tweets per minute” about the outage appear to be extremely high.
    Update #4: From Microsoft’s Major Nelson, who says this isn’t a Titanfall problem: “If you are having issues signing into Xbox Live, we are aware of it and actively working on the issue. This is not a #Titanfall issue.” Well that officially makes this the world’s worst coincidence, if that’s actually the case. I have my doubts their luck would be thatpoor, but I’ll take him at his word. Still, it’s the biggest launch of the year and Live was killed at the beginning of a peak traffic time in the US. Hardly a stretch to imagine the two are related.
    Update #5 (7:50 PM EST): Well, the only update I have now is that Live is still down, and Microsoft PR said that Nelson’s tweet is the official word on the situation. I still cannot process how this is not Titanfall related, but that information will have to be sorted out when this crisis ends.
    Update #6 (10:53 PM EST): Alright, it appears you can restore service using this process:

1. While the console is on, press and hold the console’s Xbox button for 5 seconds.
    2. The console will power down.
    3. Wait 30 seconds, and then turn your console back on by again pressing the Xbox button.

It worked for me, and appears to be fixing the problem for many others as well. Hopefully we all can get in a few games of Titanfall before bed (lucky West Coasters). Anyway, more on this tomorrow as hopefully Microsoft will offer some sort of concrete explanation on what exactly happened here, and how it could have possibly not been Titanfall-related.
    Follow me on Twitter, subscribe to my Forbes blog, and pick up a copy of my sci-fi novel, The Last Exodus, and its sequel, The Exiled Earthborn.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...ll-launch-day/

Dedicated Member
    Come on MS you can do much better spin than that :P

"Even despite our exemplary cloud service, we were unable to account for the extreme popularity and demand of Titanfall"

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Azure?...where is my 300,000 servers at?!

Or maybe it wasn't cloudy enough, who knows

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

6. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    ^lol @ above.

Also, why does Forbes seem to report on games more, lately?

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The power of the cloud. lol

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Just saw this. http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/11/xb...ted-operation/ wow....the day Titanfall goes live too. That sucks.
    Its those 300,000 Azure servers hard at work. lol

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Its those 300,000 Azure servers hard at work. lol
    nah, its just the the gaming media once again trying to blow stuff out of proportion as usual. Titanfall is here so its expected.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Also, why does Forbes seem to report on games more, lately?
    It's an industry bigger than Hollywood. It's big business, now. Why do you think the "violence in videogames" subject has seen an untimely death? Answer: major corporate backing.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    nah, its just the the gaming media once again trying to blow stuff out of proportion as usual. Titanfall is here so its expected.
    lol Seriously? So the 300.000 Azure servers aka The Cloud we kept hearing all the hype about couldn't handle the Titanfall launch? lol The outage happened and MS confirmed it. How was it blown out of proportion? Read Lefeins thread.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-12-2014 at 04:49.

Forum Sage
    lol Seriously? So the 300.000 Azure servers aka The Cloud we kept hearing all the hype about couldn't handle the Titanfall launch? lol The outage happened and MS confirmed it. How was it blown out of proportion? Read Lefeins thread.
    There is no outage and people are are playing titanfall as we speak. You have a 360 so go and see if its working.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    There is no outage and people are are playing titanfall as we speak. You have a 360 so go and see if its working.
    Read Lefeins thread. And yeah the article said its back up now but it was down and alot of people couldn't play Titanfall. So the gaming media just made this up because "Titanfall is here"? The same gaming media thats been hyping Titanfall to the moon?
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-12-2014 at 05:06.

Forum Sage
    Read Lefeins thread. And yeah the article said its back up now but it was down and alot of people couldn't play Titanfall.
    it must be certain areas. My son was playing the game all day, and i was on playing plants vs zombies and project spark. Sorry, no offense but anything with Lefiin and xbox i take with a grain of salt.Remember, he was the one who made a Titanfall confirmed for ps4 thread....lol

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The article was updated and they acknowledged it was in certain areas and that some people were playing during this "outage" so I doubt the author of the article had any agenda. A partial interruption of service I guess. Wow, the forum wouldn't let me quote your post this time. Weird.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-12-2014 at 05:14.

Superior Member
    it must be certain areas. My son was playing the game all day, and i was on playing plants vs zombies and project spark. Sorry, no offense but anything with Lefiin and xbox i take with a grain of salt.Remember, he was the one who made a Titanfall confirmed for ps4 thread....lol
    Perhaps you were able to get onto Live but MS officially acknowledged the outing as did Major Nelson. It happened and that can't be disputed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    These things do happen. As a day one PS4 owner I remember that they disabled lots of the PSN at launch due to the load issue (What's New, Store, Sharing, etc). While it's a pain in the arse when it happens I can bet you any money you like that both Sony and MS will see this happen again this gen for a major release.

​aka Sparc

19. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Perhaps you were able to get onto Live but MS officially acknowledged the outing as did Major Nelson. It happened and that can't be disputed.

if I was able to get on and play then I wouldn't call it a outage. Apparently it was just sign in issues. There were also issues reported last week but no one cared. That's because Titan fall wasn't out yet. And I think places like Forbes and Yahoo writing about video games is just hilarious.

Superior Member
    if I was able to get on and play then I wouldn't call it a outage. Apparently it was just sign in issues. There were also issues reported last week but no one cared. That's because Titan fall wasn't out yet. And I think places like Forbes and Yahoo writing about video games is just hilarious.
    Forbes apparently has a dedicated video game section and has been writing about them for years. Same with Yahoo. They didn't jump on the bandwagon because of the lack of ability to sign into Live. They simply reported on it as part of their normal video game coverage.

http://www.forbes.com/games/

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/

Don't think it's all about MS bashing. This is news and was reported by Forbes and Yahoo just like it was reported on Kotaku, IGN, GI and most other gaming sites.

Elite Sage
    This is normal thing. Remember the whole Diablo 3 fiasco? And many MMO's having big problems when launch happened?
    Let's at least wait couple of days before we start to think that there is something wrong here.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Forum Sage
    Forbes apparently has a dedicated video game section and has been writing about them for years. Same with Yahoo. They didn't jump on the bandwagon because of the lack of ability to sign into Live. They simply reported on it as part of their normal video game coverage.

http://www.forbes.com/games/

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/

Don't think it's all about MS bashing. This is news and was reported by Forbes and Yahoo just like it was reported on Kotaku, IGN, GI and most other gaming sites.
    yea,I'm well aware they cover gaming. I've read enough of that copy and paste stuff they do. A lot of sites do it. When you think of both, gaming isn't the first thing to pop in your head. I remember reading a article on Forbes about Sony and Apple teaming up to make a console...lol

See what i mean. Now it probably will be corrected by the time it gets around to all the other sites making it seem worse than it is.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-12-2014 at 19:20.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I was assuming the way Microsoft and respawn were talking about the cloud, this wouldn't happen. In this case to those Azure supporters, honestly, the behavior is no different then your normal dedicated servers on the PC or any other gaming system.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    I was assuming the way Microsoft and respawn were talking about the cloud, this wouldn't happen. In this case to those Azure supporters, honestly, the behavior is no different then your normal dedicated servers on the PC or any other gaming system.
    It doesn't really have anything to with the cloud itself. No one ever promised you wouldn't have any issues ith connections or signing in to a profile. The internet will never be perfect.

Superior Member
    yea,I'm well aware they cover gaming. I've read enough of that copy and paste stuff they do. A lot of sites do it. When you think of both, gaming isn't the first thing to pop in your head. I remember reading a article on Forbes about Sony and Apple teaming up to make a console...lol

See what i mean. Now it probably will be corrected by the time it gets around to all the other sites making it seem worse than it is.
    No, they don't come to mind but they do cover gaming news. Your comment about it being "hilarious", as you put it, is misplaced as this is the type of news they do regularly cover. This is no more hilarious than any other news story that they put out.

You might want to clarify why it's so hilarious.

Forum Sage
    No, they don't come to mind but they do cover gaming news. Your comment about it being "hilarious", as you put it, is misplaced as this is the type of news they do regularly cover. This is no more hilarious than any other news story that they put out.

You might want to clarify why it's so hilarious.

I gave an example as to why . I know those two aren't the only ones guilty of it, but at least the other places are more gaming focused. They all do the copy and paste thing. Most of the time it's one sided, bias or totally missing important facts. Just take a look at the link I posted about psn being down. It's not down. People are just having similar issues signing in like xbl was yesterday but the title says the service itself is down. Don't take my word though. Go read some of the stuff there. Some of them aren't even gaming or technology journalist.

Thread Information