Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

PSP Gaming is still awesome

Bought a brand new PSP. Yep.....my local gamestop actually had one in stock. Could have bought a refurb for $70, but went ahead and got a new one for $100.

Why? Gamestop still sells a ton of PSP games and the prices are very reasonable. I had a PSP years ago, but sold it to help pay for my PS3. I didn't really miss it until I started playing Vita games. But when I started looking into downloading some of my old favorites PSP games on my Vita, I was shocked at the prices and the selection. And with memory card space on the Vita being the premium that it is.....just made sense to get one.

So far I have Burnout Legends (not available on PSN), Rockband (not available on PSN), R-Type (not available on PSN), and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite ($20 on PSN). I paid $32 for all those games.

So I have been playing my PSP for several days and......it is still freakin' awesome after all these years.

So give me some recommendations for those obscure great PSP games I have been missing all this time. Already have P3P and Ridge Racer on my Vita along with the others I mentioned.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

2. Likes Duffman , Effekt likes this post
    Forum Elder
    That's really cool. I wanted to love the psp but without the second stick I couldn't do much with it. I mostly played ps 1 games on it. Then it's successor came out and I do really like it.

Oh and I still own a working psp2000
    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisw26308; 03-12-2014 at 22:18.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yeah, I try not to buy games that really need the second stick....like FPS. RPGs, racing games, and others like Puzzle quest, Lumines....work perfectly without it.

edit: I just realized Monster Hunter is free on PS+ this month after I just bought the thing. lol...that's what I get for complaining about PSN prices!
    Last edited by Christopher; 03-13-2014 at 00:15.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I remember tekken dark resurrection being pretty decent

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

6. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Yeah, I have my eye out for that one.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (one of the best in the series)
    God of War (all the psp ones)
    Dissida (Fun if you like a unique fighting game with all your favorite FF characters)
    Crisis Core
    Star Wars Battle Front (Same as battlefront for the PS2 just on the go really fun)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Really damn good if you like metal gear)
    GTA: Vice City Stories/ Liberty City Stories
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions (Like the original with pretty much bunch of DLC)

I completely agree with you, the PSP might have not sold well as the DS but it had a Godlike-Tier of games and would have remained even more special had not alot of the games got ported to the PS2/PS3.

9. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    You might have already played it but "The Warriors" was one of my favourites.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

11. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Still love the PSP, used to play F1 2006 all the time when I had one, might invest in another one maybe.....
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

13. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Just makes you think how did Sony $#@! up the Vita so badly? Pissed off after owning one day one.

Psp was and still is awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (one of the best in the series)
    God of War (all the psp ones)
    Dissida (Fun if you like a unique fighting game with all your favorite FF characters)
    Crisis Core
    Star Wars Battle Front (Same as battlefront for the PS2 just on the go really fun)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Really damn good if you like metal gear)
    GTA: Vice City Stories/ Liberty City Stories
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions (Like the original with pretty much bunch of DLC)

I completely agree with you, the PSP might have not sold well as the DS but it had a Godlike-Tier of games and would have remained even more special had not alot of the games got ported to the PS2/PS3.
    Nice list! It really is surprising how well this handheld has held up over time. The games still look and play great. Gave me some stuff to look for. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    You might have already played it but "The Warriors" was one of my favourites.
    No, I never did. I'll look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Still love the PSP, used to play F1 2006 all the time when I had one, might invest in another one maybe.....
    You can find them pretty cheap these days. Felt like $100 was a bargain for all the games I have to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    Just makes you think how did Sony $#@! up the Vita so badly? Pissed off after owning one day one.

Well, disagree about Vita. Love mine. But yeah, PSP is great.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Go for jeanne d'arc, if you not tried it yet, best RPG game , It has amazing moments and nice story. And Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII game has amazing visuals for PSP.

And one of the most underrated game, : Field Commander , best strategy game on any console probably. I am not sure how can you find a copy tho.

God of War series are all amazing but they are also on ps3.
    If you are interested in anime games :
    There are a few decent naruto fighting games, but also amazing 2 Bleach: Soul Carnival games, they are also amazing RPGs , have tons of replay value.

I will add if I remember later but this is all I have for now.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

17. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Go for jeanne d'arc, if you not tried it yet, best RPG game , It has amazing moments and nice story. And Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII game has amazing visuals for PSP.

And one of the most underrated game, : Field Commander , best strategy game on any console probably. I am not sure how can you find a copy tho.

God of War series are all amazing but they are also on ps3.
    If you are interested in anime games :
    There are a few decent naruto fighting games, but also amazing 2 Bleach: Soul Carnival games, they are also amazing RPGs , have tons of replay value.

I will add if I remember later but this is all I have for now.
    I played the hell out of Field Commander with my first PSP. Loved that game. Crisis Core.....had a hard time getting into it. Can't remember why. Definitely adding the others to my list. So many games!

Thanks.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Have my 1001 launch PSP screen replacement ordered off amazon, haven't played it since 2007 ish. Hoping the repair will be easy peasy..

Quote Originally Posted by OregonViking View Post
    Have my 1001 launch PSP screen replacement ordered off amazon, haven't played it since 2007 ish. Hoping the repair will be easy peasy..
    I had one of those as well back in the early days. Got a 3000 now. Prefer the thicker, heavy 1000 though. Felt more solid.

Good luck with the repair.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post

Sony only started $#@!ing it up after it's first year when they forgot it existed and left it up to 3rd party devs. It had a pretty good first year software wise.

Congrats on the PSP, been using mine a ton the past few months mostly PS1 games. The ones I already copied to it before I didn't have an internet connection that is, bull$#@! DRM.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Too bad noones tried to make a PSP game - Vita adapter. My PSP screen went all funny so it's pretty much useless.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Too bad noones tried to make a PSP game - Vita adapter. My PSP screen went all funny so it's pretty much useless.
    wow.....that would be awesome if there were such a thing.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Give it a few years, I'm sure there'll be plenty of unlicensed Chinese accessories made lol, like my Gamecube controller that looks like a Wii controller for just $6 shipped :P

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Kingstoph
    Items DoomVita
    Resistance: Retribution
    All the Battlefronts! ALL OF THEM!!
    God of War Titles
    Little Big Planet was good but i couldnt get too far in it. mostly coz the save kept corrupting :-p

Now im sad we probably wont get a new Battlefront on Vita

The King has Returned

Apprentice

Literally Play my PSP every day

Not to go all TMI on you all but it is my "bathroom accessory", lol. I don't buy magazines anymore and if I read a book I'll sit there forever so I rock my PSP.

Anyway, I'm currently playing "Legends of War: Patton's Campaign". It's a turn based war game set in WW2 (obviously) and it's VERY fun. I play Madden 12 on it all the time (the last Madden they made for it and I play it and the PS2 version more than the last gen and current gen Madden games because EVERY PS3/360 football game sucked and it looks like the same general polished turn engine is being used for PS4/XB1). As for hidden or unknown titles:

I don't know if you have the capability but if you have your PSP, well, you know, you can find an English patch for the Japanese only PSP version of Danganronpa. Wasn't released in anywhere else but Japan forthe PSP. The audio is still Japanese but a group patched the text to English and it's mainly a reading game anyway. I DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY IN ANY WAY, btw! The game is VERY fun and look forward to the future titles in the series that will be exported. I bought the game online so I owned it before downloading the patched ISO. It is so easy to get any and all PSP games you want but I support devs so I only play those I buy. I do admit to dipping into homebrew and emulators. Basically, if it's free or no longer supported (like the NES/Genesis) I don't feel bad. Plus, I own most of those games as well, haha.
    I really wanted Valkyria Chronicles 3 so I also Imported that and then downloaded the English patched ISO. I outright bought the 2nd as it was already in English and is AMAZING, if you liked the first on PS3.

The Monster Hunter Series play well. A lot like Peace Walker in that you have to get used to using the 4 right buttons for direction but once you get used to it the games are great. Another game I imported just to be able to play the Japanese only PSP Monster Hunter when a group English patched it. I just like owning the game and the Japanese cases are really neat! I just don't like piracy of games as, especially the more expensive they are to make, if a dev doesn't make money than we gamers will end up with no games. Period. Worse? 10 Call of Duty and Assassins Creed titles a year. So, my buddy hooked up a non-permanent CFW but makes fun of me for dropping $40 on a Japanese import I could download for free. It's principal. Anyway.....

So many good games and you can find old bargain bin sales sometimes in obscure stores or the lesser major retailers like Kmart/Meijer/Target. Brand new, in case games for a couple bucks. Around a year ago I walked out of our local kmart with literally 16 brand new PSP games for a total of $33 after taxes. Actually just found a TV adapter brand new in our local target on sale for $2.50. I play a lot of my PSP games on my TV. Especially good for sports titles and games where a little loss of visual fidelity for enlargement/accuracy is a deal. I love the Hot Shots games, both the Golf and Tennis games. Own all 3 and the mini games collection. Great racing games in Burnout Series, the usuals. Ace Combat is actually really good. The GOW games looked almost high end PS2 quality and played great! The only genre I do not play on the PSP are FPS games. I can do 3rd person shooters but FPS games just don't feel right to me. It was a 2nd stick away from being the best handheld ever made.

Basically, I don't own a Vita and the only game I want to play on it is Tearaway. I've debated it JUST for that just like it took Peace Walker for me to finally get a PSP. Yet, once I did, I loved it. Another analog stick is the ONLY thing that kept that thing from being a major seller in NA/EU and still a console devs make games for. Just about every game that was good on PS2/3 had a very solid PSP counterpart.

Maybe one day I'll get a Vita but Sony just cannot seem to get out of their own way in the handheld market. Once announced I had a bad feeling the Vita would fail bigtime and it has so far. They basically put a PS3 in your pocket but, oddly, that isn't what people want in handhelds. People want a dedicated home console and then a cheap but well made and supported handheld. Sony doesn't realize consumers don't crave insane graphics in their handheld. They don't realize that it is the market where innovation truly happens because of the limitations. Games can be made quickly but the dev has to make the game FUN within the limitations of the hardware. It's why the gameboy was such a hit and EVERYONE still loves playing NES/SNES/Genesis games. IMHO, the PSP would have been and would still be dominant worldwide if they simply added 2 true analog sticks. The PSP is still selling in Japan but not so much anywhere else. There wouldn't be a need for a Vita if they just added a second stick. Devs would be making games for it to this day. At most, instead of the Vita they could have maybe made the PSP2 and made it like twice as strong.
    It's cool but a device that can run MGS4 that fits in my pocket is too expensive and battery intensive. I truly wish the Vita was well priced and devs wanted to hop all over it like we heard they were. Yet, I can't think of more than one new IP that I even want to play on it. I can play PS1/PSP titles on my PSP. I can play HD remakes of PS2 games on my PS3. If cheaper and better supported, sure. It's just.....not. Before it launched I predicted Sony would be out of the handheld market in 5 years. It seems possible as it's just flushing money.

Sorry to rant there for a bit (lol) but it's so simple as, again, I also still play my PSP every day. Imagine if they just added another stick. Best handheld ever. Maybe I'll go through my library (physical and PSN) and make a better list of great games.

27. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chumdiddy View Post
    Not to go all TMI on you all but it is my "bathroom accessory", lol. I don't buy magazines anymore and if I read a book I'll sit there forever so I rock my PSP.

Anyway, I'm currently playing "Legends of War: Patton's Campaign". It's a turn based war game set in WW2 (obviously) and it's VERY fun. I play Madden 12 on it all the time (the last Madden they made for it and I play it and the PS2 version more than the last gen and current gen Madden games because EVERY PS3/360 football game sucked and it looks like the same general polished turn engine is being used for PS4/XB1). As for hidden or unknown titles:

I don't know if you have the capability but if you have your PSP, well, you know, you can find an English patch for the Japanese only PSP version of Danganronpa. Wasn't released in anywhere else but Japan forthe PSP. The audio is still Japanese but a group patched the text to English and it's mainly a reading game anyway. I DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY IN ANY WAY, btw! The game is VERY fun and look forward to the future titles in the series that will be exported. I bought the game online so I owned it before downloading the patched ISO. It is so easy to get any and all PSP games you want but I support devs so I only play those I buy. I do admit to dipping into homebrew and emulators. Basically, if it's free or no longer supported (like the NES/Genesis) I don't feel bad. Plus, I own most of those games as well, haha.
    I really wanted Valkyria Chronicles 3 so I also Imported that and then downloaded the English patched ISO. I outright bought the 2nd as it was already in English and is AMAZING, if you liked the first on PS3.

The Monster Hunter Series play well. A lot like Peace Walker in that you have to get used to using the 4 right buttons for direction but once you get used to it the games are great. Another game I imported just to be able to play the Japanese only PSP Monster Hunter when a group English patched it. I just like owning the game and the Japanese cases are really neat! I just don't like piracy of games as, especially the more expensive they are to make, if a dev doesn't make money than we gamers will end up with no games. Period. Worse? 10 Call of Duty and Assassins Creed titles a year. So, my buddy hooked up a non-permanent CFW but makes fun of me for dropping $40 on a Japanese import I could download for free. It's principal. Anyway.....

So many good games and you can find old bargain bin sales sometimes in obscure stores or the lesser major retailers like Kmart/Meijer/Target. Brand new, in case games for a couple bucks. Around a year ago I walked out of our local kmart with literally 16 brand new PSP games for a total of $33 after taxes. Actually just found a TV adapter brand new in our local target on sale for $2.50. I play a lot of my PSP games on my TV. Especially good for sports titles and games where a little loss of visual fidelity for enlargement/accuracy is a deal. I love the Hot Shots games, both the Golf and Tennis games. Own all 3 and the mini games collection. Great racing games in Burnout Series, the usuals. Ace Combat is actually really good. The GOW games looked almost high end PS2 quality and played great! The only genre I do not play on the PSP are FPS games. I can do 3rd person shooters but FPS games just don't feel right to me. It was a 2nd stick away from being the best handheld ever made.

Basically, I don't own a Vita and the only game I want to play on it is Tearaway. I've debated it JUST for that just like it took Peace Walker for me to finally get a PSP. Yet, once I did, I loved it. Another analog stick is the ONLY thing that kept that thing from being a major seller in NA/EU and still a console devs make games for. Just about every game that was good on PS2/3 had a very solid PSP counterpart.

Maybe one day I'll get a Vita but Sony just cannot seem to get out of their own way in the handheld market. Once announced I had a bad feeling the Vita would fail bigtime and it has so far. They basically put a PS3 in your pocket but, oddly, that isn't what people want in handhelds. People want a dedicated home console and then a cheap but well made and supported handheld. Sony doesn't realize consumers don't crave insane graphics in their handheld. They don't realize that it is the market where innovation truly happens because of the limitations. Games can be made quickly but the dev has to make the game FUN within the limitations of the hardware. It's why the gameboy was such a hit and EVERYONE still loves playing NES/SNES/Genesis games. IMHO, the PSP would have been and would still be dominant worldwide if they simply added 2 true analog sticks. The PSP is still selling in Japan but not so much anywhere else. There wouldn't be a need for a Vita if they just added a second stick. Devs would be making games for it to this day. At most, instead of the Vita they could have maybe made the PSP2 and made it like twice as strong.
    It's cool but a device that can run MGS4 that fits in my pocket is too expensive and battery intensive. I truly wish the Vita was well priced and devs wanted to hop all over it like we heard they were. Yet, I can't think of more than one new IP that I even want to play on it. I can play PS1/PSP titles on my PSP. I can play HD remakes of PS2 games on my PS3. If cheaper and better supported, sure. It's just.....not. Before it launched I predicted Sony would be out of the handheld market in 5 years. It seems possible as it's just flushing money.

Sorry to rant there for a bit (lol) but it's so simple as, again, I also still play my PSP every day. Imagine if they just added another stick. Best handheld ever. Maybe I'll go through my library (physical and PSN) and make a better list of great games.
    Best....rant.....ever.

29. Likes chumdiddy likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I remember tekken dark resurrection being pretty decent
    It is fantastic, more so than any Vita fighting game at the moment and I have my copy signed by the producer.

I assume you picked up a PSP-3000 model and not the E-1000 model without the wifi?

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    It is fantastic, more so than any Vita fighting game at the moment and I have my copy signed by the producer.

I assume you picked up a PSP-3000 model and not the E-1000 model without the wifi?
    Yep. PSP-3000 for me. They don't sell the E-1000 in the US.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yep. PSP-3000 for me. They don't sell the E-1000 in the US.
    Good! lol

I really hope if they make a newer smaller PS3 like is rumored they don't remove stuff, especially the wifi like the $#@!ty Wii Mini.

PSP is a really great classic handheld. It has a ton of games, still looks and handles great today.

You can even softmod it and get the ability to play a ton of classic games from NES to PS1.
    Watch my PS4 Lets Plays! www.youtube.com/skilledjerk

Thread Information