Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Phil Spencer: "Sugar-coating Xbox One controversy wasn't a good idea"

http://www.totalxbox.com/73174/we-sh...-phil-spencer/

Speaking at the SXSW Gaming Expo 2014 in Austin, Texas, Microsoft's Phil Spencer has conceded that Microsoft's Xbox One messaging across the May 2013 reveal event and E3 2013 could have been handled better. Spencer is adamant, however, that all of it came from a good place.

"I look at last summer and that wasn't a highpoint for me, coming out of the announcement of Xbox One and E3, where I thought our messaging around what we believed in was confused," he admitted (via gerrenlaquint). Spencer didn't specify which aspects of the messaging Microsoft had gotten wrong, but the reference is presumably to the console's now-abandoned 24 hour online DRM checks in particular.

"One of the reasons I wanted to be a little more active socially was because I knew the core of why we were in this industry was not an evil reason," he continued. "It was to really delight consumers and build a great product that millions and millions of people would love.

"I learned a ton last summer as leader of our groups about being true to your core vision about what a product is, not being confusing, and frankly, when you're going to say something to a consumer that might put them off, it's better to just be direct and honest, rather than trying to sugar-coat something that might be controversial.

"I'd rather deal with the controversy of what we're doing, and have an above-table conversation about that topic, rather than trying to sugar-coat it with some other news. And again, my interactions over the last six months, and I really think the interactions of [Xbox chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi] and [Xbox corporate vice president Marc Whitten] and other members of the leadership team - we're meaning to build on what we learned last summer, and just build on who we are as people."

This represents something of a retreat from Spencer's stand in August last year, when he argued that gamers buy consoles for games, not press events. Spencer did, however, observe at the time that "it's important that we remain in a two-way dialogue with gamers and potential customers about what they would like to see".

How do you feel about the Xbox One's public image right now? I think we can all agree that there are some great titles available for the console, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. Right?
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Get the $#@! out of here, Phil. Don wasn't sugar coating anything. Don was straight forward with his message.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Extreme Poster
    "all of it came from a good place."

*clap clap clap* yes delusions do occur in the most civilized of places sometimes.

"One of the reasons I wanted to be a little more active socially was because I knew the core of why we were in this industry was not an evil reason,"

*clap clap clap * yes yes *cough*kinectspyingonyourchildrenforadrevenuesisno tevil*cough*

"It was to really delight consumers and build a great product that millions and millions of people would love."

oh ok, so that they can't sell their games, can't access their games without a connection...definitely was going to delight the $#@! out of them. is this damage control or more bull$#@!, i can't tell lol.

"rather than trying to sugar-coat it with some other news."

but practically all of his statements other than the ones where he admits fault were just as sugar-coated as the bull$#@! he speaks of! pure $#@!ing comedy. stay classy MS.

"just build on who we are as people."

what the $#@! does that even mean!

Extreme Poster

i would totally trust a businessman who poses this much in front of a camera in one sitting lol.

Dedicated Member
    Well, lets see what the messages were.
    "We have a system for those who don't want DRM games, that's XBOX 360".

Okay, all I need from MS is the 360 then, message sent, lol.

Now it's "Our games output a resolution of 1080p and we think it looks great!".
    I disagree again!
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Well, lets see what the messages were. "We have a system for those who don't want DRM games, that's XBOX 360". Okay, all I need from MS is the 360 then, message sent, lol. Now it's "Our games output a resolution of 1080p and we think it looks great!". I disagree again!
    Yeah they conveniently didnt say "native 1080p." Upscaled 1080p from 720p. Not the same at all. Also I remember at the Xbone reveal they conveniently didnt say what kind of RAM they were using but only said 8GB of memory. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-13-2014 at 18:29.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    No it wasn't, uncle Phil. Now bring back some of those features, like game sharing. That would nice. Give us a great E-3.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Cleaned up off topic posts. NOTHING good will come of bringing up the us vs them thing. MS fan defence isn't the topic of this thread, it's a comment by Phil so stay on topic please.

9. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    No it wasn't, uncle Phil. Now bring back some of those features, like game sharing. That would nice. Give us a great E-3.
    The same game sharing they weren't ever fully clear on, despite xbox gamers thinking the same company that wants to pose a 24hr check, would be the same company to provide a pretty much "10 people share 1 game" deal?

Not likely.

The real details of the deal? Not really sure that MS really was able to give it out (I mean really, apart from "we're rolling back drm etc" were they TRULY clear​ on?), but it's unlikely that it was as hunky dory and sunshines and rainbows that was hoped.

My favourite MS feautere would've been installing full disc games without needing to insert it (unless they weren't clear on that also). No biggie as I buy digital now, but would be nice if you see a physical copy for sale (cheaper than digital)and/or you buy 2nd hand.

But I guess since they were anti-second hand, and that the drm checks were NEVER friendly or conducive that it's preferable that it turned out the way it did.
    Last edited by Admartian; 03-13-2014 at 20:32.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Extreme Poster
    they were clear about the installs. the discs were supposedly data only.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    they were clear about the installs. the discs were supposedly data only.
    Right. So you still needed the discs?

Extreme Poster
    nope but once you installed them, you had the permanent rights to the disc/key whatever code they had on the disc.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    The same game sharing they weren't ever fully clear on, despite xbox gamers thinking the same company that wants to pose a 24hr check, would be the same company to provide a pretty much "10 people share 1 game" deal?

Not likely.

The real details of the deal? Not really sure that MS really was able to give it out (I mean really, apart from "we're rolling back drm etc" were they TRULY clear​ on?), but it's unlikely that it was as hunky dory and sunshines and rainbows that was hoped.

My favourite MS feautere would've been installing full disc games without needing to insert it (unless they weren't clear on that also). No biggie as I buy digital now, but would be nice if you see a physical copy for sale (cheaper than digital)and/or you buy 2nd hand.

But I guess since they were anti-second hand, and that the drm checks were NEVER friendly or conducive that it's preferable that it turned out the way it did.
    the 24 hour thing was the only minus for me. Other than that, it was all sounding good. I don't trade my games, prefer digital, and I'm a steam user so it would of been ok. I hope they start bringing back stuff like game sharing. I know a lot of gamers who want that one.

Extreme Poster
    the 24 hour thing was the only minus for me. Other than that, it was all sounding good. I don't trade my games, prefer digital, and I'm a steam user so it would of been ok. I hope they start bringing back stuff like game sharing. I know a lot of gamers who want that one.
    the game sharing was part of the DRM and i don't think people were going to take that well. though it's not like people are happy now, from a perspective i can see why people would not mind that. would i know right now if there was a 24 hour check on the PS4? probably not, it's not the big deal...but it is to those that either don't have an internet, just don't like restrictions (i would be in there i think), or other issues like what if someone is taking their console somewhere where there's no internet.

they were probably trying to sweaten the deal by giving the shares...they can still do it now but it would go against their interests.

Power Member
    Items User name style

i would totally trust a businessman who poses this much in front of a camera in one sitting lol.

Errrr..ummmm.....thats not Phil Spencer Sufi.

I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

17. Likes Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post

eating crow.

EDIT: oh yea, i'm totally going to trust an ITALIAN.

EDIT 2: do NOT look up his ethnicity now. damnit.
    Last edited by Omar; 03-13-2014 at 21:09.

19. Likes Yungstar 2006, mynd likes this post
    Forum Sage
    the game sharing was part of the DRM and i don't think people were going to take that well. though it's not like people are happy now, from a perspective i can see why people would not mind that. would i know right now if there was a 24 hour check on the PS4? probably not, it's not the big deal...but it is to those that either don't have an internet, just don't like restrictions (i would be in there i think), or other issues like what if someone is taking their console somewhere where there's no internet.

they were probably trying to sweaten the deal by giving the shares...they can still do it now but it would go against their interests.
    i think peopl would come around to it, eventually. It's really no different than steam which is very popular. I can see why MS canned it all though. First thing's first, and that is to get it into the homes. They should of just focused more on what you can do instead of what you can't in their messaging. What they were trying to do is where we're headed anyway. Either way, some people were going to be against whatever they brought anyway because the yu just don't like MS, period.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

Actually, yes it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spencer

My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    nope but once you installed them, you had the permanent rights to the disc/key whatever code they had on the disc.
    Right. So non-tradeable.

The 24hr thing is a no go. You just can't put trust in that. Look at the Titanfall/XBL servers - YOU may have a good connection, but can the in-between guarantee a constant check?

The best alternative imo is an initial check done via the console on startup (registering the details/key of the disc etc); and/or a failsafe being able to do it via browser login.

Could still be traded in, but purchaser has to de-register. And if they try to sell/trade without de-registering, and the console/sony/ms reads the disc being attempted to be registered on a new console? The initial purchaser is de-registered by MS or whatever.

Basically, so long as the disc-id is registered to said profile/gamertag and/or console, then it's good to go.

Whether that specific 'solution' works/would work or not is not really my point: it's just that there are better ways than a daily check-in

lol yeah I was thinking that.

EDIT: lol technically correct.
    Last edited by Admartian; 03-13-2014 at 21:14.

Extreme Poster
    i think peopl would come around to it, eventually. It's really no different than steam which is very popular. I can see why MS canned it all though. First thing's first, and that is to get it into the homes. They should of just focused more on what you can do instead of what you can't in their messaging. What they were trying to do is where we're headed anyway. Either way, some people were going to be against whatever they brought anyway because the yu just don't like MS, period.
    steam worked because PC needed steam...the problem is that we don't need it as of this moment. especially since people want accessibility. in some ways DD is accessible, in others it's not, people don't think it suits them yet. honestly i don't know when it will. at some point someone will have to cut out the people that don't want to conform.

MS knew they were going to get flack, they probably did it because they may have tried to remove the drive to save costs...think about it, if the discs are just data...then you don't really need the blu-ray drive, so 5 years down the road, they could just remove it and come out with a new version that only had DD. they can't do that now.

they already said they were thinking about a drive-less version.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    lol not the same guy but i see what you did there.
    Right. So non-tradeable.

The 24hr thing is a no go. You just can't put trust in that. Look at the Titanfall/XBL servers - YOU may have a good connection, but can the in-between guarantee a constant check?

The best alternative imo is an initial check done via the console on startup (registering the details/key of the disc etc); and/or a failsafe being able to do it via browser login.

Could still be traded in, but purchaser has to de-register. And if they try to sell/trade without de-registering, and the console/sony/ms reads the disc being attempted to be registered on a new console? The initial purchaser is de-registered by MS or whatever.

Basically, so long as the disc-id is registered to said profile/gamertag and/or console, then it's good to go.

Whether that specific 'solution' works/would work or not is not really my point: it's just that there are better ways than a daily check-in
    lol yeah I was thinking that.

EDIT: lol technically correct.
    well i'm sure MS knows that they could've done that, the idea was to not let people sell the games...heck, you could easily make the DD where you have the rights to do whatever but they don't do it on purpose.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Either way, some people were going to be against whatever they brought anyway because the yu just don't like MS, period.
    Not every negative opinion about MS or Xbox is based on MS hate. You always seem to feel the need to throw that same little disclaimer in there whenever MS or the Xbox brand come under criticism in an attempt to downplay any negative opinions.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-13-2014 at 21:30.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yes it's "A Phil Spencer" but not "Thee Phil Spencer".

Here's Amy Adams a minister in our government...

For the record not the Amy Adams I want to bang.

And to be super clear..I don't want to bang any Phil Spencer's.

Well, maybe bang his head against a wall while saying "what were you thinking"
    Last edited by mynd; 03-13-2014 at 21:38.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

26. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Yes it's "A Phil Spencer" but not "Thee Phil Spencer".

Here's Amy Adams a minister in our government...

For the record not the Amy Adams I want to bang.

And to be super clear..I don't want to bang any Phil Spencer's.
    Don't lie - you totally want to bang Phil Spencer (the model one).

28. Likes mynd likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Don't lie - you totally want to bang Phil Spencer (the model one).
    He would have to buy me dinner at a fancy restaurant first.

Extreme Poster
    finessing is important.

Thread Information