Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

February NPD numbers - PS4 edges out X1

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/13/fe...ghting-it-out/

February 2014 NPD: PlayStation 4 barely edges out Xbox One in console sales

Hardware continues to sell well in the last month before Titanfall and Infamous.

Gamers spent $887 million on new physical games, hardware, and accessories at retail in February, according to sales-tracking firm The NPD Group. That’s up 9 percent from $810 million for this month last year. As expected, it’s still the new hardware from Sony and Microsoft that is bringing in the dough.

Hardware brought in $347 million, which is up 42 percent from 2013 when the aging consoles only generated $244 million in sales. With people dropping $400 and $500 to purchase new systems, they also spent a bit less on software. New game sales were down 9 percent to $318 million. Accessories, which includes items like controllers and Skylanders toys, was up 33 percent to $221 million.

As always, these figures only represent physical items sold at brick-and-mortar stores. The NPD does not include digital and online sales in its monthly report, which is why it’s best to view these numbers as a snapshot of a much larger picture.

With that out of the way, let’s get to the game chart.

Software

Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)
    The Lego Movie Videogame (Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
    NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
    Thief (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
    Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360, PS3)
    Battlefield 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
    Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Xbox 360)
    Minecraft (Xbox 360)
    Bravely Default (3DS)
    February didn’t have many huge releases, but a few games are new to this list.

“PS4 and Xbox One software sales are off to a great start through February 2014,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said. “When compared to the combined first four-month sales for the Xbox 360 and the PS3, software sales for the Xbox One and PS4 thorough month 4 are up 80 percent.”

The power of the Lego brand didn’t just push the recent film to box-office success, it also helped the tie-in game do almost as well. It wasn’t enough to unseat Call of Duty: Ghosts, which is No. 1 for the fourth month in a row, but it sold better than big-name new releases like Thief and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Of course, Lego had the advantage of selling on seven different platforms.

Another game that, like Call of Duty, has had continued success is NBA 2K14. It was the No. 3 seller in February after charting at No. 2 in January. In fact, publisher 2K’s basketball title has continued to shine even as EA’s Madden has fallen completely off the top 10.

Nintendo confirmed that it sold 200,000 physical and digital copies of 3DS role-playing game Bravely Default, and while absent from this list, it also said that Wii U’s Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sold 180,000. The publisher pointed out that in terms of a game selling on an individual platform (rather than combining them like the chart above does), Bravely Default and Donkey Kong were the No. 2 and No. 4 best-selling games of the month.

Finally, as usual, Minecraft continues to make the top 10. It may never stop selling unless we enter some sort of scenario where people stop making new children. Also, based on Nintendo’s info, Minecraft was the top-selling game on any one platform.

Hardware

Microsoft said it sold 258,000 Xbox Ones. Sony sold an estimated 290,000 PlayStation 4s.

“PS4 led hardware sales in February 2014, but by a narrow margin with Xbox One selling over 90 percent of what the PS4 sold in terms of unit sales,” said Callahan. “However, with Xbox One’s higher price point, it led hardware sales on a dollar basis.”

So Sony sold more units, but Xbox One made more money. Expect each company to come out bragging about how they won the month.

Most systems were up big from January.

“The majority of hardware platforms experienced double-to-triple digit increases compared to January 2014,” said Callahan.

Nintendo confirmed that Donkey Kong helped boost Wii U sales by 25 percent over last year. Based on last year’s estimates, that means Nintendo sold around 100,000 Wii Us.

In February, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 were still coasting on their launch software. Both see major new releases in March with Titanfall for Xbox One and Infamous: Second Son for PlayStation 4. It will be much more telling to see how well these systems perform when people are buying them for the games and not based on launch hype.
    Last edited by TidalPhoenix; 03-14-2014 at 00:02.

​aka Sparc

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Good for both. I have to say xb1 is doing better than I thought at $100 more. March should be interesting.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Good for both. I have to say xb1 is doing better than I thought at $100 more. March should be interesting.
    With Titanfall releasing, MS probably will kick Sony's ass in March.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by funkybudda View Post
    Titan Fall is also on PC, PS4 has inFamous which looks really slick with great lighting bet they'll be 10+% ahead of Xbox One.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did. The buzz surrounding that game is pretty good.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yeah, seriously, this is the Xbox One's signature game and MS is giving it away for free with every new X1 purchase. If that doesn't bump X1's NPD numbers WAY up then something is very wrong.

This is a critical month for Xbox One.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    how dumb is the article?

"So Sony sold more units, but Xbox One made more money. Expect each company to come out bragging about how they won the month."

how the $#@! you know how much they made lol. we don't know how much money they really make from these sales. Now, revenues-wise, it's possible they made more but that doesn't mean jack $#@! if you're not making anything once you take out all the costs.

also, aren't there better bundle deals on X1 right now?

Microsoft selling Xbox One Titanfall Bundle for $399

really it's not a clear $100 advantage right now. and yeah, PS4 doesn't really have a hyped game at the moment that would drive sales up. i'm sure SS will sell well but a COD killer definitely would get more hardware sales.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    how dumb is the article?

"So Sony sold more units, but Xbox One made more money. Expect each company to come out bragging about how they won the month."

how the $#@! you know how much they made lol. we don't know how much money they really make from these sales. Now, revenues-wise, it's possible they made more but that doesn't mean jack $#@! if you're not making anything once you take out all the costs.

also, aren't there better bundle deals on X1 right now?

Microsoft selling Xbox One Titanfall Bundle for $399

really it's not a clear $100 advantage right now. and yeah, PS4 doesn't really have a hyped game at the moment that would drive sales up. i'm sure SS will sell well but a COD killer definitely would get more hardware sales.
    That deal isn't being offered any more. Tried the promo code and it is invalid. CAG forum reported it dead as well.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, seriously, this is the Xbox One's signature game and MS is giving it away for free with every new X1 purchase. If that doesn't bump X1's NPD numbers WAY up then something is very wrong.

This is a critical month for Xbox One.
    so a console that is dearer than its sibling and selling more at this point in its life (in comparison) is facing a critical month?

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    so a console that is dearer than its sibling and selling more at this point in its life (in comparison) is facing a critical month?
    Yeah, I think so. Outselling the 360 doesn't mean anything. MS isn't throwing Titanfall into the box for free so it can outsell the 360. It is all about beating expectations and outselling PS4. Titanfall needs to be THE game that drives sales through the roof. Otherwise, why did MS bother paying to keep it off the PS4? If they don't win this month by a significant margin then there are going to be some serious doubts that X1 can stand up and be a contender in the long run. So yeah....critical month.

PS4 only up 10k from last month. Supply is still short. I know I sure had a hard time finding one in a store.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    PS4 only up 10k from last month. Supply is still short. I know I sure had a hard time finding one in a store.
    Yeah the supply restraint is killing Sony here in the states.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'm expecting at least 400k xbones for March.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    LOL at their maths. More like 285k than 290k if the 90% figure is to be believed.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-14-2014 at 02:27.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    LOL at their maths. More like 285k than 290k if the 90% figure is to be believed.
    Or could be they meant "just under 90%", but yeah, slightly off.
    Last edited by Christopher; 03-14-2014 at 11:38.

Superior Member
    PS4 is number 1 again on Amazon as usual. My local store finally had some in stock and its limited. They sell out every time. Titanfall was in the top 5 but the XboxOne (bundle) never was so I think the game is only selling to those that already have the console as expected.It will not have the impact on sales as people think.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    PS4 is number 1 again on Amazon as usual. My local store finally had some in stock and its limited. They sell out every time. Titanfall was in the top 5 but the XboxOne (bundle) never was so I think the game is only selling to those that already have the console as expected.It will not have the impact on sales as people think.
    we'll find out next next month for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post

I will be shocked if PS4 outsells X1 this month.

edit: Yeah, whenever PS4 has stock on amazon, it shoots to the top of the bestseller's list. Only problem is keeping the stock levels up. That is why I say X1 outsells PS4 for March.
    Last edited by Christopher; 03-14-2014 at 12:56.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Can someone tell me, Sony has sold 1.8-2 million units in the past 2 months.
    Only about 560k in the states.

How does that work? Shouldn't they be supplying America with 40% of the units not 28% of the units.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-14-2014 at 04:38.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Elite Sage

How does that work? Shouldn't they be supplying America with 40% of the units not 28% of the units.
    They could supply more to the states but they have over 40 countries to ship to also. They're just simply spread thin. Worldwide, the ps4 is currently outpacing the wii in the same time frame.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia

PS4 hasn't long released in Japan, maybe they're concentrating their efforts elsewhere for a while?

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    when can we see global cumulative numbers ?

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    when can we see global cumulative numbers ?
    MS has been scared to announce numbers. They'll likely do so next month because the FY is over with at the end of this month. They're likely sitting somewhere between 4.5 - 5.0m

Sony announced over 6m ps4s on march 3rd. They'll be announcing over 7m next month

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Have we reached 6? are we past 6million? We gotta be close to sales being 2:One.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Have we reached 6? are we past 6million? We gotta be close to sales being 2:One.
    from what I understand Sony was past 6 million a bit ago, so by the end of this month they may be well past 7 million.

Thread Information