Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

We already know that the PlayStation 4 has taken a strong lead in the early goings of the latest console generation, but where are those millions of customers coming from? According to DealNews, one of the key factors to Sony’s success has been converting the “swing gamers” — Xbox owners who have decided to ditch the Microsoft brand for PlayStation this generation.
    xbox-one-ps4-dual-owners.jpg

A survey of 1,727 readers revealed that 35% of gamers who owned both the Xbox 360 and PS3 have opted to purchase a PlayStation 4 while only 23% bought an Xbox One. Brand loyalty was a major selling point for gamers who only owned one last-gen console, but “dual owners” are skewed in Sony’s direction, primarily because of the enhanced specifications. Whether or not the ongoing 1080p controversy will stick around as headline news for much longer remains to be seen, but it’s certainly turned some heads post-launch.

i know if I'd have bought my PS4 1st, i'd not be owning an Xbox anytime soon.

Last edited by Yungstar 2006; 03-16-2014 at 15:54.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I was a 360 owner last gen, but leading up to launch Sony just kept doing things right. Whereas Microsoft, well.. you know.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A couple of my close friends from college did the same. They were 360-only gamers, now they only game on the PS4.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    I'm not surprised.. Out of all the xboxers I know only one of them has stuck with the One, the rest have jumped ship..

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    It's possible. Time will tell. It could be a number of reason why it may look that way.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    If those "dual owners" are like I was last gen then they start out with one and then eventually get both. Not sure if I am going to do that this gen though. Will have to wait and see what else X1 comes up with.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It's possible. Time will tell. It could be a number of reason why it may look that way.
    Yeah, 4 out of 5 good friends who were previously Xbox fanatics have bought PS4's instead of XBONES, but yeah it could be something else..

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Yeah, 4 out of 5 good friends who were previously Xbox fanatics have bought PS4's instead of XBONES, but yeah it could be something else..
    That just means those friends bought ps4s. It doesn't mean they won't buy an xb1, unless they specifically stated that. I know people who have ps3s and bought only a wii-u so far. It does't mean they deserted playstation. It's possible that people are deserting xbox, but it's also possible that people are just waiting. I'm waiting to buy ps4 because I think owning one would be overkill in my case. I own ps3, xbox360, xb1, and a expensive gaming PC. Too many gaming devices and not enough time to play the games for them.

Ultimate Veteran
    I think eventually people may own multiple consoles, but as for right now, PS4 is kind of the obvious choice for the short term and down the road this generation.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Right now is the time of exclusive console. Likely not many people unless they have the time and money will buy both right away. I know I as well as most of my friends buy one early on and wait for a price drop. Right now, most would agree that from a gaming standpoint the PS4 is more intriguing. Based on performance not games. Games are completely subjective. Later down the road those users that were polled could get an X1. But right now imo, this just makes sense. With all the multiplat superiority of the PS4, gamers are willing to buy a PS4. Also the 100 dollar price difference is a major factor at play.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

11. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    I didn't want to bring it up, but certain sites are getting an increasingly steady stock of USED XBOX Ones and it's not the original XB.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    If those "dual owners" are like I was last gen then they start out with one and then eventually get both. Not sure if I am going to do that this gen though. Will have to wait and see what else X1 comes up with.
    Pretty much the same.

Not a HALO guy so that rules that out. I'm more of a Gears guy, but they'd have to revamp that after the last outing (though I still enjoyed it, but it needed something fresh). No need for Forza once the eventual GT game is out (not even counting DriveClub). Not into Fable either, and not sure if Sunset Overdrive is my thing. Defo not a Dead Rising fan either.

Crackdown is interesting, but I think they're missing out on the one (not counting Sleeping Dogs) open world cop/enforcer game by making it not as 'serious' as say a GTA (or at least towards that direction).

If Quantum Break is the biz/shiz then I might think about it. But that's a lot to shell for pretty much one game I'm interested in (though in saying that, if it were cheap enough I would likely just pick up the exclusives).

Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Right now is the time of exclusive console. Likely not many people unless they have the time and money will buy both right away. I know I as well as most of my friends buy one early on and wait for a price drop. Right now, most would agree that from a gaming standpoint the PS4 is more intriguing. Based on performance not games. Games are completely subjective. Later down the road those users that were polled could get an X1. But right now imo, this just makes sense. With all the multiplat superiority of the PS4, gamers are willing to buy a PS4. Also the 100 dollar price difference is a major factor at play.

Agreed. Even with increased funds/saving up for it, the issue is TIME.

Right now, I'd rather have a tablet and DSLR than get another console that I'll have to split time on (already do with the PS3 and PS4, and a little bit of Steam with RTS/Strategy games).

It's not a knock on the XB1, but MS needs to do more on the exclusives than they already are - favourable scores from Polygon, parity clause etc be damned and all
    Last edited by Admartian; 03-16-2014 at 23:55.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

14. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I didn't want to bring it up, but certain sites are getting an increasingly steady stock of USED XBOX Ones and it's not the original XB.
    Not surprised if true.

Super Elite
    Microsoft needs to stop greeding te FPS games. Sure in America they dominate the charts but you need a system that caters to all and not just shooters.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by dondidit View Post
    Microsoft needs to stop greeding te FPS games. Sure in America they dominate the charts but you need a system that caters to all and not just shooters.....
    Apart from Halo and Titanfall, they don't really have that many FPS (at least not ones that the PS also doesn't have) exclusives.

It's mainly that the ones pushed ARE shooters/FPS. Whereas Sony rarely pushes at all (apart form inFamous where I've seen some viral stuff here - e.g. be the head of Sony NZ for a Day etc).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Everyone I knew that had a 360 either has a ps4 already or are waiting for them to be restocked. I won't get to leech like I did last gen.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Pretty much the same.

Not a HALO guy so that rules that out. I'm more of a Gears guy, but they'd have to revamp that after the last outing (though I still enjoyed it, but it needed something fresh). No need for Forza once the eventual GT game is out (not even counting DriveClub). Not into Fable either, and not sure if Sunset Overdrive is my thing. Defo not a Dead Rising fan either.

Crackdown is interesting, but I think they're missing out on the one (not counting Sleeping Dogs) open world cop/enforcer game by making it not as 'serious' as say a GTA (or at least towards that direction).

If Quantum Break is the biz/shiz then I might think about it. But that's a lot to shell for pretty much one game I'm interested in (though in saying that, if it were cheap enough I would likely just pick up the exclusives).

Agreed. Even with increased funds/saving up for it, the issue is TIME.

Right now, I'd rather have a tablet and DSLR than get another console that I'll have to split time on (already do with the PS3 and PS4, and a little bit of Steam with RTS/Strategy games).

It's not a knock on the XB1, but MS needs to do more on the exclusives than they already are - favourable scores from Polygon, parity clause etc be damned and all
    Yeah I think MS might need to take a page out of Sony's book from last gen and start putting money heavily into big exclusives. They had the upper hand last gen so they could rely on this big titles to get them what they needed. I don't think that will be the case this gen as far as exclusive goes. PS4 has a higher adopt rate so their sales are not going to be as high as they were with the 360.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Is anyone really all that excited for another round of Halo, Forza and Gears when the Xbox One hardware is going to struggle to show graphical improvements over last gen?

SONY was in a pinch last gen but they pull it off, Microsoft is in a much tighter pinch this time round I believe.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Is anyone really all that excited for another round of Halo, Forza and Gears when the Xbox One hardware is going to struggle to show graphical improvements over last gen?

SONY was in a pinch last gen but they pull it off, Microsoft is in a much tighter pinch this time round I believe.

Forza maybe....

Studios behind Halo and Gears are far lesser than what it used to be.

Bungie to 343
    Epic to Black Tusks.

It is noticeable downgrade. Downright worrisome on Black Tusks.

Veteran
    I'm very close to deserting my PS3 for the

Does that count?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    This is dual core last gen owners right?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Doesn't really matter

25. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    Couple good buddies of mine bought an XB1 ONLY because the PS4s were sold out everywhere.... Who knows if/when they will opt to get a PS4 now because of that.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by faaeng; 03-17-2014 at 03:26.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Forum Elder
    Yeah faaeng. One of my friends had the money and was dying for a next gen fix so he picked up a xb1. He's into it now and says he'll get a PS4 down the road.

I imagine this has happened a lot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Now that I'm finished evangelizing The Last of Us, and inFAMOUS is around the corner, it's about time to I rope up my swinger-friends.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Thread Information