Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Well I finished MGS:GZ :P

Not much to see here folks. Probably trading it in tomorrow for some quick turn around store cred. I bought the game not cause I'm some hardcore fan of the series, but I thought maybe it would have story that would compliment the main game, nope nothing of concern.

It's cool to be back in the world of MGS. The graphics are amazing. At certain points when you get music, it's great. Controls still feel like old MGS titles, and because I haven't played an MGS title in forever....I had a rough time getting used to them again. He still has that really wide turn which can be disorienting when you turn into an object right next to the camera that you didn't know was there.

Couple points I wasn't thrilled about:
    -Snakes new voice? bleh. Not liking it. He sounds like a child compared to the previous voice actor.
    -Tranq gun, kinda sucks? Only time you put someone down with a single shot is when hit direct to the head. Otherwise it can take 2 or 3.
    -Problems with aiming? If I'm too close to an object (cover for instance) and try to shoot an enemy, my gun sight duplicates itself. Leaving one sight on the object and one on the enemy. Can really throw you off.
    -Footsteps. Snake walks like he gives no $#@!s. Stomp! Stomp! Stomp! I kept thinking there was someone around a corner from me. Nope it was me.
    -Primary gun has terrible range. Too far away and it just sprays the general area you are pointing at. Meanwhile enemies not directly hit in the head take a while to go down.
    -Better tutorial for controls would have been nice. Kept trying to reload with Square like I do in most shooters. Nope, that makes him dive into the dirt. Really made me appear retarded to whomever was watching me I'm sure.
    -No real ability to peek around a corner. At least not that I could make work (again an issue better saved via tutorial). Game quickly told me to hit R3 to lean. All I ended up doing was zooming into the object I was standing behind. Maybe I missed something here.
    -Bugs, I found bugs already.

The one real positive I saw to the game was it's open world feel. When I was sucking at stealth I could jump into a vehicle or gun turret and lay waste. The camp had a lot of explosive objects. Completing the extraction and calling in your transport was also pretty cool. Couple funny death sequences had me rollin too.

Would have liked to have seen more open world stealth elements however. In Blacklist you could cut through material to create doors in tents and tarps. Would have been nice to see that in this game. Also found alot of doors I wasn't able to go into.

And for anybody looking to stream this game using the ps4 twitch app, just know that this is one of the games where the dev chose to disable the stream during the cutscenes. So theres that as well.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Glad I didn't buy it, just watched the IGN playthrough on YouTube..they completed it in under an hour!

Gonna wait for the inevitable PlayStation Plus release.
    Last edited by Dave-The-Rave; 03-19-2014 at 15:50.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    I'll probably give it a rent some time... maybe..

Thanks for the analysis

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    There are lots of side missions to do. For $30, I can not complain at all. It is a fun game that I can kill an hour so by doing one of the side missions.

5. Likes Bruce Vayne, x_terna likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    There are lots of side missions to do. For $30, I can not complain at all. It is a fun game that I can kill an hour so by doing one of the side missions.
    Fun sure. But it has no....depth? oomph? I duno what word to choose. But for a series that has story to it, I found this to have nothing.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Had the game since Saturday and haven't opened it yet. I'm so damn tired. Maybe the weekend....

Maybe...

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Driveclub Team A Head
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Such a shame it's so short, think I will just wait for The Phantom Pain!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    It was fun, I am psnswordsman, watched around 1 hour, thanks.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Such a shame it's so short, think I will just wait for The Phantom Pain!
    Be waiting till 2015 for it.

Elite Sage
    Sounds like a movie. I should watch someones walkthrough then.
    Thankfully I didn't buy it.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

12. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    It was fun, I am psnswordsman, watched around 1 hour, thanks.
    Lol! thanks for joining me. I must have looked like a new born child learning to walk for the first time. Took me a long time to get the controls down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    Sounds like a movie. I should watch someones walkthrough then.
    Thankfully I didn't buy it.

Naw. Not really a movie. There is not that much to watch lol. Opening cutscene is just a quick character introduction. Ending cutscene I won't spoil but is rather anti-climactic. Then if you watch till the end of the credits they try and throw in the 'shock factor'. But at that point I didn't really care lol.

The game is fun to run around in. MY issues with settling in with the controls are probably just that, mine. Couple mechanics I didn't much care for but aside from that it's an entertaining game. I was just hoping the prologue to a story would be a bit more story worthy. The minimal story puts it into the 'demo zone' with almost certainty.
    Last edited by shepard; 03-19-2014 at 14:39.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I guess I'm gonna have to play Peace Walker HD at some point, had no idea what was going on in the story.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    I saw a walkthrough on YT, and wow the graphics are pretty crazy. That trailer from before really was 100% in-game (used to have a hard time believing that). The cinematics to gameplay transitions are completely seamless.

Too bad it's short, because it looks like so much fun!

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    -Tranq gun, kinda sucks? Only time you put someone down with a single shot is when hit direct to the head. Otherwise it can take 2 or 3.
    This has literally been the case in every MGS game.

-Problems with aiming? If I'm too close to an object (cover for instance) and try to shoot an enemy, my gun sight duplicates itself. Leaving one sight on the object and one on the enemy. Can really throw you off.
    Sounds like the MGS4 system, which tells you that you are aiming at the person but you don't have the angle for the shot.

-Primary gun has terrible range. Too far away and it just sprays the general area you are pointing at. Meanwhile enemies not directly hit in the head take a while to go down.
    Typically what happens when you hold down the trigger, unlike most shooters would have you believe.

17. Likes Malt, x_terna likes this post
    Apprentice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e3uK-jn2BU

Finished in under 10 mins. :P

EDIT: Not my vid btw.
    Last edited by pojo1806; 03-19-2014 at 19:08.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    Can Kojima stop $#@!ing around and give us the HD remake of VR Missions?

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    This has literally been the case in every MGS game.
    Not so. Hell the older games you just shot the target, you couldn't pick where on the body they got hit. A tranq is a tranq. Would be different if hitting the body did nothing because you 'hit their armor'. But if I can hit them 2-3 times and they go down then the tranq is reaching the blood stream.

What I noticed was it seemed to take affect slower if I just did body shots. A head shot was instant sleep. Anything else you might see him sleep 30secs later or whatever.

Sounds like the MGS4 system, which tells you that you are aiming at the person but you don't have the angle for the shot.
    Yea that could be. Haven't played MGS since MGS4 when it first came out. Don't remember having that issue though...but I could be mistaken.

Typically what happens when you hold down the trigger, unlike most shooters would have you believe.
    Holding down fire should result in unstable accuracy by making the barrel drift up and away. Not just hold steady while bullets decide to pick random directions. :P

The gun gave no feeling of recoil. And because I couldn't gauge how close I had to be before the bullet spread was doing nothing for me it was a real issue.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Not so. Hell the older games you just shot the target, you couldn't pick where on the body they got hit. A tranq is a tranq. Would be different if hitting the body did nothing because you 'hit their armor'. But if I can hit them 2-3 times and they go down then the tranq is reaching the blood stream.

What I noticed was it seemed to take affect slower if I just did body shots. A head shot was instant sleep. Anything else you might see him sleep 30secs later or whatever.
    From MGS2 on, when the tranq gun was introduced, a headshot with the tranq was instant sleep and a body shot was delayed effect.

UNLESS you played on easy/very easy, in which case they fell asleep instantly no matter where you hit them.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    From MGS2 on, when the tranq gun was introduced, a headshot with the tranq was instant sleep and a body shot was delayed effect.

UNLESS you played on easy/very easy, in which case they fell asleep instantly no matter where you hit them.
    I must not be remembering correctly then. It's been over 10 years since I played it. I don't remember having the kinds of issues I had playing MGSV last night though, and I never play games on easy or very easy so it wouldn't have been that.

Could be the pressure of having Shingo watch me demanding I move lol
    Last edited by shepard; 03-19-2014 at 20:20.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    So is the main mission an hour or so and then there are side missions?

How long is the whole game...side missions and all?

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    So is the main mission an hour or so and then there are side missions?

How long is the whole game...side missions and all?
    Different for everyone. Probably looking around 5-7hrs? Length is really not an issue when you package in the side missions. If you only consider length of game to be directly tied to story missions is where its a problem for people.

It's not like the people finishing the main mission in 15mins are doing it without ever having played the game. They have usually played it a couple times to learn the map and enemy layout. So right there, that "15min" clear time is really more like 2-3 hrs of play time and then 15mins.

I personally am slightly upset with the experience because I was hoping for more story than I got out of it. All the important story bits happen after the credits or during the credits. So the time spent playing the main mission had no substance.

I've decided I didn't give the game a fair shake and am going to hold on to it for a while. Give it a few more playthroughs, accept the fact that theres little story and evaluate the game for everything else it offers. I'll come back with a fresh look on it. Hopefully it's vastly different than the very jaded opinions I've thrown at the game thus far.

Super Elite
    It's cool to be back in the world of MGS.
    Right.

Sounds like you've always played on very easy or easy.

They've already explained it to you

-Better tutorial for controls would have been nice. Kept trying to reload with Square like I do in most shooters. Nope, that makes him dive into the dirt. Really made me appear retarded to whomever was watching me I'm sure.
    That's your problem, this isn't a shooter.

-No real ability to peek around a corner. At least not that I could make work (again an issue better saved via tutorial). Game quickly told me to hit R3 to lean. All I ended up doing was zooming into the object I was standing behind. Maybe I missed something here.
    Tried moving the Camera around with the R stick?

In Blacklist

Also found alot of doors I wasn't able to go into.
    Good tip: Use your night vision goggles, any door that's highlighted will open. Previous MGS games had that.

I've decided I didn't give the game a fair shake and am going to hold on to it for a while. Give it a few more playthroughs, accept the fact that theres little story and evaluate the game for everything else it offers. I'll come back with a fresh look on it. Hopefully it's vastly different than the very jaded opinions I've thrown at the game thus far.
    This, after you get the hang of it start playing in stealth. The Side Ops are very similar to PW, you'll need to do everything at a certain time without getting detected just to receive a Rank S.(Again PW, which was amazing.)

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Just unlocked the Cyborg Ninja costume.

Ultimate Veteran
    You have to wait a while for them to fall asleep if you get a body shot with the tranq gun. It does take quite a while, too.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Im trying to find all the casettes myself. Listening to paz diary she sounds like a total $#@!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

29. Likes Ixion likes this post

Thread Information