Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Can I ask for vehicle advice?

Can I ask you guys for vehicle advice?

I currently do not own a vehicle or car. In a few months, I will have around $2000 - $2500 for a car.

I am a college student and I commute from my home to college campus. I have a driver's license, but am currently learning how to drive in a city. I can drive in small country towns.

There is a nearby car dealership that my mother bought her current SUV from. In 2004, she took on payments for a 2002 chevy trailblazer and has paid it off. It cost around $12,000 total.

I could use the $2000 as a down payment, and take on payments of $150 - $200. However, my father says go to a public car auction and pay a really low price for an older, but good vehicle.

So okay, I can't make up my mind and I don't know what's the better option.

My mother says, pay down, take on payments, and take on full coverage insurance. Payments + full coverage insurance = $300 monthly payments for 3 - 4 years.

My father says, take the $2000 and buy an older vehicle, without payments. Also, could buy an older vehicle out of someone's yard.

I don't know what path to take. All I know is I am looking for:

-A SUV
    -A SUV no older than 2001, but prefer 2006 and newer
    -As low monthly costs as possible, because I have to pay gas expenses
    -A solid, reliable vehicle
    -A safe and sturdy vehicle because I am a young driver

What do you guys think?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Having no car payment is nice, however for some people paying a monthly for a nicer/newer vehicle is worth it.

I will say be careful with auto auctions. There is a reason why that vehicle is up for auction! If you do go make sure to bring somebody who actually knows cars.

Now why not a middle ground? A vehicle that is financed but not exactly super expensive? You can find an SUV at a dealership that is slightly older for about $7k. Monthly payment if you used the $2k to cover downpayment and taxes would be fairly reasonable, probably about $170 a month.

For that matter if gas is a concern then why an SUV?

3. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    As someone speaking with a fully purchased older car for $1200, I would go with the down payment and lease option. Here are the pros and cons of both.

Owned car pros: you don't have to pay for it anymore, other than insurance, you own it, it's certified and if it's in good condition, which is super rare, it'll be the best investment ever.

Cons: Since it's second hand, the previous owner might have $#@!ed it up somewhere. A small problem now could be a much bigger problem down the road. Plus, a car with high mileage is prone to wear and tear. Your coolant leaks, oil leaks, struts need replacing, cam sensor, etc. And it'll just cost too much and give you a massive headache. It'll cost more than you bought the car with if you add up the total. But, if those repairs are months apart, not right after the other, then you should be okay.

Pros of leased car: Brand new. You will not have any mechanical problems for a very long time other than the regular check up, e-test and oil change, which is normal. This car will last you till you decide to get a new one. And this car will be a lot more fuel efficient than the older one, which you'll spend a lot of gas money on.

Cons: Costs a lot more with lease per month, plus the insurance. So, save up.

Option 1 - owned car is much cheaper, but could be a massive repair headache down the road

Option 2 - much more reliable, fuel efficient and more expensive per month.

I do like the auction idea your father proposed, maybe you could scored a very nicely maintained car.

5. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    El Presidente
    When we bought my car I paid around $10000 after the $1000 down payment. My monthly was about $170 but a few months I had extra money and almost doubled the payment to around $300. I had that paid off in less than 3 years including money I spent on repairs, gas, food, books and money given to my mother. I made under $8 per hour that entire time. I did make tip money as well which helped a lot.

So if you're in a position similar to me then a newer car from a dealership is completely doable. Also I don't trust people so you never know what you're getting when you buy a car off some ones lawn.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

7. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekmon View Post
    Having no car payment is nice, however for some people paying a monthly for a nicer/newer vehicle is worth it.

I will say be careful with auto auctions. There is a reason why that vehicle is up for auction! If you do go make sure to bring somebody who actually knows cars.

Now why not a middle ground? A vehicle that is financed but not exactly super expensive? You can find an SUV at a dealership that is slightly older for about $7k. Monthly payment if you used the $2k to cover downpayment and taxes would be fairly reasonable, probably about $170 a month.

For that matter if gas is a concern then why an SUV?
    Most of the cars at my local auto auction are repos and etc. They usually check out.

I want an SUV because it is safer. If I get hit in a SUV, my physical body is less likely to get hurt. You have to keep in mind I am a very young and inexperienced driver.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post

I do like the auction idea your father proposed, maybe you could scored a very nicely maintained car.
    Thank you so much for the information in that post, I really appreciate it.

The thing about auto auctions are you have to have someone who can understand the man who is taking the bids and someone who knows how to bid.

For example, if the man talking really fast says, "500, 500, 500. Do I have a 525? 525? 525? Going once, going, gone!" Me nor my father know how to bid and can understand what the man is saying.

You can get good deals at the auction. For example, someone bought a 2005 Honda Accord for $2k, and a 2002 Mazda 626 for $600.

Yes, you do need a mechanic with you or you have to know cars to score!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post

Thank you so much for the information in that post, I really appreciate it.

The thing about auto auctions are you have to have someone who can understand the man who is taking the bids and someone who knows how to bid.

For example, if the man talking really fast says, "500, 500, 500. Do I have a 525? 525? 525? Going once, going, gone!" Me nor my father know how to bid and can understand what the man is saying.

You can get good deals at the auction. For example, someone bought a 2005 Honda Accord for $2k, and a 2002 Mazda 626 for $600.

Yes, you do need a mechanic with you or you have to know cars to score!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    When we bought my car I paid around $10000 after the $1000 down payment. My monthly was about $170 but a few months I had extra money and almost doubled the payment to around $300. I had that paid off in less than 3 years including money I spent on repairs, gas, food, books and money given to my mother. I made under $8 per hour that entire time. I did make tip money as well which helped a lot.

So if you're in a position similar to me then a newer car from a dealership is completely doable. Also I don't trust people so you never know what you're getting when you buy a car off some ones lawn.
    I agree that a car from the dealership is doable, BUT I have to keep in mind that I only make $700 per month. I do not work, but I draw a disabled check for my disability.

I have only so much I can pay per month because you have to factor in full coverage insurance and gas expense.

Forum Sage

On the topic of insurance, there is a little-known option that you can go with that I think can be superior to car insurance. Look up surety bonds and see if your state allows for such an alternative. Do some research on them.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Can I ask you guys for vehicle advice?

I currently do not own a vehicle or car. In a few months, I will have around $2000 - $2500 for a car.

I am a college student and I commute from my home to college campus. I have a driver's license, but am currently learning how to drive in a city. I can drive in small country towns.

There is a nearby car dealership that my mother bought her current SUV from. In 2004, she took on payments for a 2002 chevy trailblazer and has paid it off. It cost around $12,000 total.

I could use the $2000 as a down payment, and take on payments of $150 - $200. However, my father says go to a public car auction and pay a really low price for an older, but good vehicle.

So okay, I can't make up my mind and I don't know what's the better option.

My mother says, pay down, take on payments, and take on full coverage insurance. Payments + full coverage insurance = $300 monthly payments for 3 - 4 years.

My father says, take the $2000 and buy an older vehicle, without payments. Also, could buy an older vehicle out of someone's yard.

I don't know what path to take. All I know is I am looking for:

-A SUV
    -A SUV no older than 2001, but prefer 2006 and newer
    -As low monthly costs as possible, because I have to pay gas expenses
    -A solid, reliable vehicle
    -A safe and sturdy vehicle because I am a young driver

What do you guys think?
    With your budget I would be looking a cars. Mostly domestic's but possibly some Japanese options.

some examples:

http://jackson.craigslist.org/cto/4361180357.html

http://jackson.craigslist.org/ctd/4353855879.html

El Presidente
    I agree that a car from the dealership is doable, BUT I have to keep in mind that I only make $700 per month. I do not work, but I draw a disabled check for my disability.

I have only so much I can pay per month because you have to factor in full coverage insurance and gas expense.
    I fortunately am covered under my mothers insurance but I was and still am making about $400 per month without the tips added on. I generally do ok with tips but not always. If you do go tot a dealer get the sweetest deal you can. Don't settle for anything less than what you want within reason of course. I was extrememly fortunate with my car. When I bought it it had about 15000 miles on it and it's a 2005 model. It was a steal I basically got a brand new car for $10000.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    One thing to think about with auctions. They are mostly repos and impound. Basically the previous owners didn't give a damn. I'm sure most of those vehicles are ragged out in the last little while of ownership. When people know they are going to lose it they don't treat it with much redirect. Not saying all but many. Just like houses that get foreclosed.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Go to an auction. Especially if its your first car. No need to take on payments now. You're still young and a college student to boot. Take your $2500, grab you a Honda and go win a championship!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So this is your first car? First cars should be as cheap and easy to maintain as possible. Cheap as possible because you are going to prang it and do silly stuff in it, I know I did.

I don't know much about American cars but aren't SUV more expensive than the regular sedan/saloon and hatchbacks?
    Last edited by keefy; 03-20-2014 at 05:56.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Most of the cars at my local auto auction are repos and etc. They usually check out.

I want an SUV because it is safer. If I get hit in a SUV, my physical body is less likely to get hurt. You have to keep in mind I am a very young and inexperienced driver.
    Don't take it the wrong way...but I cringe at the idea of inexperienced drivers being let loose in SUV's.
    They're more of a danger to those around them and that far outweighs the 'safety' the SUV driver gains.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    With your budget I would be looking a cars. Mostly domestic's but possibly some Japanese options.

some examples:

http://jackson.craigslist.org/cto/4361180357.html

http://jackson.craigslist.org/ctd/4353855879.html
    I agree. (though not the sentra)

19. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    If you go with the auto auction route,
    I would recommend buying what ever the State Road Worker vehicle is.
    The vehicles that state workers , site managers, etc, use.
    In MD, it's the Chevy Impala.
    I have an 04 Impala that has given me no real problems (i had the same issue with replacing the dashboard panel same as anyone with a new model). Aside from that, it has the Police/Cab suspension and driver package, sans the Police engine.
    Heavy duty breaks, calipers, shocks, struts etc.

IF you go with the public auction, look at the GSA Government auctions and find your local auto auction.

Given your weather in MS i can understand the SUV preference.

The ones in MD are very well kept. Mine had a couple of dents that it still has in inconspicuous places and i may fix those if i get it painted.
    I bought in 08 and have only put on new tires and oil changes aside from the dash panel replacement.

Do check it VERY WELL. Given what state your in i'd be very wary of any models before a certain natural disaster.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    If you go with the auto auction route,
    I would recommend buying what ever the State Road Worker vehicle is.
    The vehicles that state workers , site managers, etc, use.
    In MD, it's the Chevy Impala.
    I have an 04 Impala that has given me no real problems (i had the same issue with replacing the dashboard panel same as anyone with a new model). Aside from that, it has the Police/Cab suspension and driver package, sans the Police engine.
    Heavy duty breaks, calipers, shocks, struts etc.

IF you go with the public auction, look at the GSA Government auctions and find your local auto auction.

Given your weather in MS i can understand the SUV preference.

The ones in MD are very well kept. Mine had a couple of dents that it still has in inconspicuous places and i may fix those if i get it painted.
    I bought in 08 and have only put on new tires and oil changes aside from the dash panel replacement.

Do check it VERY WELL. Given what state your in i'd be very wary of any models before a certain natural disaster.
    J-Willy! Where'd you go? I was told it was a nice one on Washington BLVD and Baltimore. I'm thinking of going to an auction myself and give the car I have now to my grandparents. They need some more wheels.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    J-Willy! Where'd you go? I was told it was a nice one on Washington BLVD and Baltimore. I'm thinking of going to an auction myself and give the car I have now to my grandparents. They need some more wheels.
    The Bel Air auto auction is very nice and clean. That's where I go.
    I've been to the one in Brandywine down by DC, also good.
    I haven't done Washington Blvd.
    Where is that one and do you have a website for it ?
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Thread Information